Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,644 members, 7,809,424 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:21 AM

Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. - Travel (32) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. (92669 Views)

Memoirs From Chile / Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (38) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by AngelicBeing: 12:51pm On Jun 25, 2018
theamerican:
I almost forgot about the thread lol. I've been busy as my newly discovered part-time job has taken control of my spare time. Making an extra $500+ weekly has been a welcome experience.
That is the spirit, go girl and make the money, money talks and bulshit works, it is sweet to make dollars grin

5 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Ugosample(m): 5:26pm On Jun 25, 2018
AngelicBeing:
That is the spirit, go girl and make the money, money talks and bulshit works, it is sweet to make dollars grin

This guy and his memes grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by AngelicBeing: 6:37pm On Jun 25, 2018
Ugosample:

This guy and his memes grin grin
tongue

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by theamerican(f): 6:30am On Jun 26, 2018
Mobilia:

Lol...I love this!
Awesome reply....and congrats for that extra change.
Can you believe this thread is stillllll going? Do you see all of the comments here?
What could be further discussed that hasn't already been covered somehow..lol?
I tell you...Nigerians are the most tenacious, resilient and debatable people on the planet!
They don't give up.... smiley

Lol, thanks, I see the comments. I read everything, laugh, shake my head and move on.

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by theamerican(f): 6:31am On Jun 26, 2018
AngelicBeing:

Thanks! Nothing like extra money. This past weekend was a blast lol.

5 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by theamerican(f): 6:45am On Jun 26, 2018
So, I experienced first hand fire service response this past weekend. After driving until very late in the night, so I crashed at a friend's apartment who was gone for the night at her bf's.

At about 9am, a deafening sound woke me up. It was the fire/smoke alarms. Her neighbor downstairs had a grease fire due to carelessness. Lol, I sped downstairs through the smoke in the stairway without shoes on haha.

When I got outside, she was trying to get her phone to work. She finally called 911 to tell them about the fire. The fire response team got to us in less than 3 minutes. Took them about 15 minutes to put the fire out and blow out all the smoke.

I was all in my feelings about how efficient the emergency service was and was already criticizing Naija in my head. I talked to my brother in Lagos about it afterward, then he told me about Lasema and how efficient they are too. He told me they would have also reached the scene in 3 minutes and put out the fire. I'm proud of Lasema if it's true they're efficient (If not, I hope they get better), fire is nothing to play with.

So, added to the list of reasons for enjoying my life here: smoke/fire detectors/alarms. It could have been a bigger fire and nobody would be there to wake me up lol. Thank God for them!!! cheesy

13 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by AngelicBeing: 10:08am On Jun 26, 2018
theamerican:

Thanks! Nothing like extra money. This past weekend was a blast lol.
Continue to work smart and work hard, life is too short to waste or be patriotic to in the jungle you left behind, let the haters continue to hate while you smile to the bank weekly / biweekly to cash your cheques, there is a difference between hell and heaven, I will choose heaven anytime anyday than live in the jungle grin

8 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by gentlenoni(m): 11:37am On Jun 26, 2018
[quote author=Berliner1 post=66877230]I always tell people, come here legally and u will regret staying in Nigeria.

I will rather say God bless Germany than mentioning Nigeria.

Going on europe tour as if you are going to Ikeja.

Access to free education, plenty student job( averagely €1500=650k per month after tax), many easy way to become a german citizen,free semester ticket( you can travel a whole state 247 without paying kobo.

From nursery school to PhD education in Germany is 100% free for everyone.

Plenty free loan if u want oo....atleast u can get a credit card upto 6k euro=2.5m naira without collateral even as a student, if you are working full time here, plenty loan u can access at a very very low rate from mortgage to car of any brand.

Please where can one get this in Nigeria?

Who ever tell you to stay back in Nigeria is your village member holding u back.

Theres no comparism between heaven and hell fire.

God bless Germany.

Going on world tour in December, any europe based dude interest in co ride can holla
Greetings from the Capital of Europe(Berlin )
Bro thanks for the encouragement. What is the best visa one can travel to Germany with? What advices do you have to offer a potential visitor. Have tried the US twice using a student visa and both failed, please don't advice another student visa cos it's too expensive and I've exhausted lots of money on the previous one I tried. Thanks a lot!
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Ugosample(m): 7:08pm On Jun 26, 2018
AngelicBeing:
Continue to work smart and work hard, life is too short to waste or be patriotic to in the jungle you left behind, let the haters continue to hate while you smile to the bank weekly / biweekly to cash your cheques, there is a difference between hell and heaven, I will choose heaven anytime anyday than live in the jungle grin

this guy sef

so hilarious

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by queengift(f): 7:33pm On Jun 26, 2018
AngelicBeing:

please introduce me to the business, am interested
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by AngelicBeing: 10:02pm On Jun 26, 2018
queengift:

please introduce me to the business, am interested
Which business shocked

8 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by AngelicBeing: 10:03pm On Jun 26, 2018
Ugosample:

this guy sef

so hilarious
tongue

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Dremca(m): 5:42am On Jun 27, 2018
Fire service in Chibok, Borno is the most efficient and most responsive in the world. For the benefit of doubt, ask your friends and relatives.
theamerican:
So, I experienced first hand fire service response this past weekend. After driving until very late in the night, so I crashed at a friend's apartment who was gone for the night at her bf's.

At about 9am, a deafening sound woke me up. It was the fire/smoke alarms. Her neighbor downstairs had a grease fire due to carelessness. Lol, I sped downstairs through the smoke in the stairway without shoes on haha.

When I got outside, she was trying to get her phone to work. She finally called 911 to tell them about the fire. The fire response team got to us in less than 3 minutes. Took them about 15 minutes to put the fire out and blow out all the smoke.

I was all in my feelings about how efficient the emergency service was and was already criticizing Naija in my head. I talked to my brother in Lagos about it afterward, then he told me about Lasema and how efficient they are too. He told me they would have also reached the scene in 3 minutes and put out the fire. I'm proud of Lasema if it's true they're efficient (If not, I hope they get better), fire is nothing to play with.

So, added to the list of reasons for enjoying my life here: smoke/fire detectors/alarms. It could have been a bigger fire and nobody would be there to wake me up lol. Thank God for them!!! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by AngelicBeing: 7:56am On Jun 27, 2018
Dremca:
Fire service in Chibok, Borno is the most efficient and most responsive in the world. For he benefit of doubt, ask your friends and relatives.
Hian, Hahaha, Una go kill person with laugh for Nairaland.com, fire service in chibok shocked, the most responsive in the world shocked

3 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Dremca(m): 12:52pm On Jun 27, 2018
Lol.. If you doubt me, you can ask Nigerian Buharideen of Statistics
AngelicBeing:
Hian, Hahaha, Una go kill person with laugh for Nairaland.com, fire service in chibok shocked, the most responsive in the world shocked
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by jayooh: 4:51pm On Jun 29, 2018
cruchenutii:

Now this is the dilemma I'm trying to avoid at the moment. At 28 years my spouse wants us to settle down. Now I'm thinking to myself once I do this & kids start rolling in, I'm trapped in this country, because feeding & living expenses will start to roll in. The only option is to leave the country & she'll join me later, easier said than done yeah?

Another issue to note is that Embassy consulates won't even give you a VISA if you can't prove you have sufficient reason & enough investment to return to your country.

Second option is to do a Masters or a PHD if possible. Paying about 11,000 USD for just the first Semester in the US is so much that a lot cannot afford. The other option is to move to Germany which cost 4Million excluding travel expenses. So the Cheapest options goes down to Permanent temporary residence for Canada which takes 9 Months or more.

Thanks @theamerican for your response.

Hello, could you shed a bit more light on this route or point me to an appropriate thread if any?

Thanks
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 3:46am On Jul 02, 2018
7000 Ghanians and Liberians being deported. Naturalized Citizens from Haiti and Jamaica had their citizenship revoked! Immigration department has a unit that targets naturalized US citizens looking for loopholes to deport them.

Wow!

Source: https://www.facebook.com/615146790/posts/10155381275611791/
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 3:47am On Jul 02, 2018
jayooh:

Hello, could you shed a bit more light on this route or point me to an appropriate thread if any?

Thanks
Just go here for the German student thread. https://www.nairaland.com/4566903/general-german-student-visa-enquiries
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by jayooh: 2:22pm On Jul 02, 2018
EMMAACHILE:

Just go here for the German student thread. https://www.nairaland.com/4566903/general-german-student-visa-enquiries

Sorry, but I was asking about this route "Cheapest options goes down to Permanent temporary residence for Canada which takes 9 Months or more."
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by abdulwastecx(m): 4:19pm On Jul 02, 2018
EMMAACHILE:
Saw this article in my mail just now. See link below though it's about Canada as destination.

Nigeria’s stressed-out middle-class is trying to leave in droves and the destination is Canada. Very soon, only the very poor will remain behind

https://qz.com/1271591/nigerias-stressed-out-middle-class-is-trying-to-leave-in-droves-and-the-destination-is-canada/?utm_source=Africa.com&utm_campaign=f9999c7412-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_02_23&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_12683c81a6-f9999c7412-29257901

And you think, a country like Canada of only 35m people will openly accept economy immigrant of over 40m people ( a conservative estimate of Nigeria middle-income class) form one single nation with totally different culture, education standard and race? Bros abeg think am well na

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by AlterEnigma(m): 7:37pm On Jul 18, 2018
travelland:

I read your thread on life of a student abroad with amusement. It's clear that you are from a rich background here in Nigeria. Apart from school grants I'm sure you still had to cough out about $20,000K for tuition/living cost and other expenses, you are so privileged that you prefer to volunteer during your break than to hustle for needed funds because money is not your problem. Now, many American citizens in your shoes will have to work their back sides off to pay up student loans, even those on scholarship will still have to hustle to pay living cost.

In America you have to live through the fear of being bombed by nuclear weapons from countries like N.K, any lunatic can misuse guns to kill people, natural disasters like hurricane, tornadoes, wild fire rampage the area, you also have to cope with discrimination because of the color of your skin, even your foods have been altered to poison your blood streams (GE) , drugs, serial killers, robbers, terrorists are there too

Enjoy your abroad grin In my opinion it's good to visit, if you want to live there feel very free . l encourage people to visit often but don't sell your birthright

What have come to understand is no country is perfect... Everyone has what works for them, i know someone in Canada who wants to go back to naija, i know people who have lived here and are back in Nigeria and are happy to be in Nigeria
And there are alot others who are comfortable in staying in foreign lands despite the negativity there....

Its all about Survival anywhere you find yourself. No country is perfect

7 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by AlterEnigma(m): 7:47pm On Jul 18, 2018
theamerican:

There was this video trending on Twitter of Croatia firefighters who left their world cup penalty shootout match against Russia in an instant to go attend to an Emergency.... and i was so sad to see the way Nigerians were finding faults in that video, some saying it was doctored or the quality of the camera was too clear to be true or cameras dont pan around, etc..
i was so sad that some Nigerians lacked exposure to what they saw before them,..

In any supposed reputable health related facility. they are always taught and it should always be taught that there's 1 second between Life and Death and that is what this croayians understand.

So it was really really sad the way some Nigerians attacked the credibility and swift response of their action

3 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Ugosample(m): 8:51pm On Jul 18, 2018
AlterEnigma:

There was this video trending on Twitter of Croatia firefighters who left their world cup penalty shootout match against Russia in an instant to go attend to an Emergency.... and i was so sad to see the way Nigerians were finding faults in that video, some saying it was doctored or the quality of the camera was too clear to be true or cameras dont pan around, etc..
i was so sad that some Nigerians lacked exposure to what they saw before them,..

In any supposed reputable health related facility. they are always taught and it should always be taught that there's 1 second between Life and Death and that is what this croayians understand.

So it was really really sad the way some Nigerians attacked the credibility and swift response of their action

what do you expect?

The SOCIETY in which they were born and raised in is filled with filth, hence the shock when they see stuff like that.

6 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by RayJinble(m): 11:18pm On Jul 18, 2018
theamerican:

It means becoming a citizen when you were only a foreigner. From being just a foreigner with visas, temporary residence permits, etc. to having the rights of a citizen (including voting, taking up govt jobs, etc) and all kids born to you automatically take up citizenship too.

Oh, you also get the opportunity to burn your former passport and vow to never set foot in that country if that's what you want. Lol.

Hello

If i got the finance and everything, how long would it take me to naturalize there. Pls reply
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by RayJinble(m): 11:46pm On Jul 18, 2018
theamerican:

You made 3m in 7 months from nothing? That's remarkable and super impressive. If the business isn't expanding yet, is it possible to give it time to maintain the pace, while you save enough to be able to expand it slowly but steadily? It's just a thought.

I wouldn't go as far as saying Africa is cursed lol. It just doesn't work out for some people.

If your business is registered, i would like to invest
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by RayJinble(m): 11:54pm On Jul 18, 2018
theamerican:

It gets a little more complicated when you're not single. Now you'll have to consider your partner when making any decision(s). Lucky you, no kids yet so you've got time to make bold decisions and take risks. I hope things work out for you. I don't know as much about European migration as I do about here so I can't say a lot on how it's done... and sure, you're welcome.

How long do i have to stay for to be a US citizen abeg
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 9:43pm On Jul 19, 2018
Mobilia:

Lol...I love this!
Awesome reply....and congrats for that extra change.
Can you believe this thread is stillllll going? Do you see all of the comments here?
What could be further discussed that hasn't already been covered somehow..lol?
I tell you...Nigerians are the most tenacious, resilient and debatable people on the planet!
They don't give up.... smiley
Mexicans say hi. smiley
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by MamaTF: 10:13pm On Jul 19, 2018
Hi, please how can i reach you? Sent you a pm though. Just need to ask you somethings, my younger sister lives and works in dallas as well, she came in for her masters about two years ago. Please i would appreciate if i can reach you. Thanks

theamerican:
I almost forgot about the thread lol. I've been busy as my newly discovered part-time job has taken control of my spare time. Making an extra $500+ weekly has been a welcome experience.
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by theamerican(f): 9:58pm On Jul 27, 2018
Dang! I already forgot Nairaland lol.

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Tunmise100(m): 10:48pm On Jul 27, 2018
@theamerican You inspired me with ur thread. Will be coming over for my masters program nxt month. See ya in Trump's land.

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Dremca(m): 9:58am On Jul 28, 2018
Please continue to enjoy in paradise. Small girl with big God grin grin grin
theamerican:
Dang! I already forgot Nairaland lol.
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by AngelicBeing: 1:58pm On Jul 28, 2018
Dremca:
Please continue to enjoy in paradise. Small girl with big God grin grin grin
tongue

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (38) (Reply)

Tourists Are Dying Trying To Reach This Abandoned Bus In Alaskan Wilderness(Pics / Some Funny Slangs Used In Warri / Giant Cobra Killed And Swallowed Huge Python In Philippines(Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.