Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,175 members, 7,811,426 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:21 AM

Reactions As Anambra Begins Demolition Of 'Shanties' In Onitsha (Photos) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reactions As Anambra Begins Demolition Of 'Shanties' In Onitsha (Photos) (28627 Views)

LASG Demolishes Hundreds Of Shanties And Shops In Lekki / Lagos Government Demolishes Shanties In Obalende (Photos) / Ongoing Protest Along Lekki-Epe Expressway Over Destruction Of Shanties (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reactions As Anambra Begins Demolition Of 'Shanties' In Onitsha (Photos) by olasco18(m): 11:31am On Apr 21, 2018
where is thiz dirty place plz.....oh my gosh
Re: Reactions As Anambra Begins Demolition Of 'Shanties' In Onitsha (Photos) by Ofemannnu: 11:34am On Apr 21, 2018
grin
Euouae:
Obiano about to sign another MOU grin grin grin

Most of the affected will start migrating to the West in no time.
Re: Reactions As Anambra Begins Demolition Of 'Shanties' In Onitsha (Photos) by laudate: 11:45am On Apr 21, 2018
post=66893184]When will Ambod.e demolish Makoko shanties and all shanties across Lagos[/quote]
Only God knows. undecided But everyone knows that there are shanties in Lagos. Hopefully, Ambode will find a permanent solution to those shanties soon. However, it is interesting to see that you managed to find a picture of the shanties in Lagos, but when you kept posting pictures about Anambra, you could not find any pictures depicting the shanties in the entire state?

[quote author=Ofuzo
:
Let's not worry about ambode and makoko. Let's discuss how onitsha and the rest of igboland will be salvaged by street trading, highway trading, sidewalk trading, residential properties with two, three and four attachments. Trading everywhere and anywhere. This is an igbo disease that MUST be solved. All igbo cities except owerri looks like SHITHOLE That's why I support the okorocha's government in banning keke and all it's other renewal projects. Two major initiatives which was a FIRST in igboland ie the free education system and the urban renewal projects was initiated by okorocha. The man have his other flaws, but history will surely remember him for those two things. Absolutely no doubt about that. I'm very very happy that anambra state is following suit. As a matter of fact, the entire igbo and igbo leaning states should follow suit. That's why I'm very happy to read this good news. Let concentrate on that instead of muddling the issue by bringing up ambode or makoko.

Nwoke m, thank you. wink May God increase the wisdom He has deposited in your life. cool A lot of people like ignoring the truth, and attacking the messenger of the truth. Keep speaking truth to power, my brother. And see how God will increase His blessings in your life!

1 Like

Re: Reactions As Anambra Begins Demolition Of 'Shanties' In Onitsha (Photos) by Ofuzo: 12:26pm On Apr 21, 2018
laudate:

Only God knows. undecided But everyone knows that there are shanties in Lagos. Hopefully, Ambode will find a permanent solution to those shanties soon. However, it is interesting to see that you managed to find a picture of the shanties in Lagos, but when you kept posting pictures about Anambra, you could not find any pictures depicting the shanties in the entire state?

Nwoke m, thank you. wink May God increase the wisdom He has deposited in your life. cool A lot of people like ignoring the truth, and attacking the messenger of the truth. Keep speaking truth to power, my brother. And see how God will increase His blessings in your life!
No problem. I'm an igboman. I don't make any apologies for that. This thing were somebody is discussing issues concerning the south east or the igbos, and next thing you know, some people jump in and start talking about abeokuta, lokoja or lafia is beyond me. Though I'm nigerian, my primary focus is what's happening in igbo cities. We should all be frank enough to discuss how they are without worrying what somebody from the south west or the north is saying about them. Of course, I'm also worried about the largest commercial town in nigeria which is Lagos, and Abuja, it's capital. All well meaning igbo sons and daughters all over the world though should find a way to contribute to the betterment of all these shitty looking igbo cities. Am happy and glad about igbo enterprises, but unchecked run amock, try to make it by all means type of mindset have reduced all their cities to complete an utter disorganization and mayhem where everything under the sun has been allowed to take root. The keke people are all over the place driving through every nook and cranny, against and beside traffic. There are absolutely no traffic rules. Traffic usually happens,99% of the time because somebody have deviated by trying to force their way through. My biggest ANGER is why the igbo intelligencia are SILENT about these ills. How is it, that they will drive through aba or portharcourt and not say a word about their observation. Why are other igbos like the ones on nairaland so much hyped about makoko or any other town in nigeria, when they should concentrate on what to do about all the shitty looking igbo cities, is beyond me.

2 Likes

Re: Reactions As Anambra Begins Demolition Of 'Shanties' In Onitsha (Photos) by laudate: 12:34pm On Apr 21, 2018
Ofuzo:
No problem. I'm an igboman. I don't make any apologies for that. This thing were somebody is discussing issues concerning the south east or the igbos, and next thing you know, some people jump in and start talking about abeokuta, lokoja or lafia is beyond me. Though I'm nigerian, my primary focus is what's happening in igbo cities.

We should all be frank enough to discuss how they are, without worrying what somebody from the south west or the north, is saying about them. Of course, I'm also worried about the largest commercial town in nigeria which is Lagos, and Abuja, it's capital. All well meaning igbo sons and daughters all over the world though, should find a way to contribute to the betterment of all these shitty looking igbo cities.

Am happy and glad about igbo enterprises, but unchecked run amock, try to make it by all means type of mindset, have reduced all their cities to complete an utter disorganization and mayhem, where everything under the sun has been allowed to take root. The keke people are all over the place driving through every nook and cranny, against and beside traffic. There are absolutely no traffic rules. Traffic usually happens,99% of the time because somebody have deviated by trying to force their way through.

My biggest ANGER is why the igbo intelligencia are SILENT about these ills. How is it, that they will drive through aba or portharcourt and not say a word about their observation. Why are other igbos like the ones on nairaland so much hyped about makoko or any other town in nigeria, when they should concentrate on what to do about all the shitty looking igbo cities, is beyond me.

Again, I say thank you for your words. undecided I had to separate your post into paragraphs ,and highlight some of the salient points you made, so that it can be more visible to everyone.

Your points are quite valid, but not everyone has your courage to say it like it is. They feel their so-called 'enemies' will use it as a way to pull them down. sad May God help us all to see the truth and say it, in order to improve our various societies.

1 Like

Re: Reactions As Anambra Begins Demolition Of 'Shanties' In Onitsha (Photos) by MXrap: 12:44pm On Apr 21, 2018
What's your point? Now look at the normal setting at what is supposed to be the capital of Yoruba. What's being removed in Onitsha is the roadside makeshifts around the market. It is being done to ease traffic and make people use the market premises.

Ibadan for instance is a total shanty in itself which should have been demolished but some of you are not courageous to even say it. Look at this picture which covers at least 98% of the town.

laudate:

Again, I say thank you for your words. undecided I had to separate your post into paragraphs ,and highlight some of the salient points you made, so that it can be more visible to everyone.

Your points are quite valid, but not everyone has your courage to say it like it is. They feel their so-called 'enemies' will use it as a way to pull them down. sad May God help us all to see the truth and say it, in order to improve our societies.

3 Likes

Re: Reactions As Anambra Begins Demolition Of 'Shanties' In Onitsha (Photos) by laudate: 12:55pm On Apr 21, 2018
MXrap:
What's your point? Now look at the normal setting at what is supposed to be the capital of Yoruba. What's being removed in Onitsha is the roadside makeshifts around the market. It is being done to ease traffic and make people use the market premises.

Ibadan for instance is a total shanty in itself which should have been demolished but some of you are not courageous to even say it. Look at this picture which covers at least 98% of the town.

Guy, that is an aerial view. You are only showing the brown roofs of some buildings in Ibadan, not the physical structure itself. Even a high rise can have a brown roof. I hope you realise that. What about the physical structures?

1 Like

Re: Reactions As Anambra Begins Demolition Of 'Shanties' In Onitsha (Photos) by Obi1kenobi(m): 12:55pm On Apr 21, 2018
Positive development, but I always feel sorry for the poor affected. The blame should be laid on the incompetent administrators who allow people erect illegal structures and build homes and livelihoods for themselves and their families on these illegal structures. It then becomes very painful when it is uprooted. But it should never have been set up in the first place.
Re: Reactions As Anambra Begins Demolition Of 'Shanties' In Onitsha (Photos) by Ofuzo: 12:57pm On Apr 21, 2018
laudate:

Your points are quite valid, but not everyone has your courage to say it like it is. They feel their so-called 'enemies' will use it as a way to pull them down. sad May God help us all to see the truth and say it, in order to improve our various societies.

So called enemies indeed!!

1 Like

Re: Reactions As Anambra Begins Demolition Of 'Shanties' In Onitsha (Photos) by Perceptor(m): 12:59pm On Apr 21, 2018
MXrap:

No matter hw hard u try to cover it, ur stupidity is always exposed. Though we're never ashamed of having old houses and brown roofs, they ar important part of our history but look at d vehincles in d picture u posted, hw many years back were those vehincles in use? In those days, ur pple wete still walkin around wt dangling blokos and bress, government was begging them to come out of d jungle and get education. The little exposures u have today was gotten when u started migrating to southwest.

1 Like

Re: Reactions As Anambra Begins Demolition Of 'Shanties' In Onitsha (Photos) by MXrap: 12:59pm On Apr 21, 2018
I don't want to flood here with terrible outlook of ibadan and other yoruba states.

Govt is removing makeshift stuff but you are all over the place yapping rubbish. What i posted is the normal ibadan outlook but it is already worse than makeshifts we are discussing here.

laudate:

Guy, that is an aerial view. You are only showing the brown roofs of some buildings in Ibadan, not the physical structure itself. Even a high rise can have a brown roof. I hope you realise that. What about the physical structures?
Re: Reactions As Anambra Begins Demolition Of 'Shanties' In Onitsha (Photos) by MXrap: 1:02pm On Apr 21, 2018
Yes i can see the vehicle and can you see that those mud houses and brown roofs are still intact in those places. If you doubt me get us the current outlook or i will do it for you.

Perceptor:

No matter hw hard u try to cover it, ur stupidity is always exposed. Though we're never ashamed of having old houses and brown roofs, they ar important part of our history but look at d vehincles in d picture u posted, hw many years back were those vehincles in use? In those days, ur pple wete still walkin around wt dangling blokos and bress, government was begging them to come out of d jungle and get education. The little exposures u have today was gotten when u started migrating to southwest.

2 Likes

Re: Reactions As Anambra Begins Demolition Of 'Shanties' In Onitsha (Photos) by Guestlander: 1:02pm On Apr 21, 2018
laudate:
Are there shanties in Anambra? shocked I was told there were only beautiful, high-class storey buildings in every nook and cranny, of the state. Where did these shanties then come from? Who is spreading these false stories, biko nu? cheesy

Same questions I have.

1 Like

Re: Reactions As Anambra Begins Demolition Of 'Shanties' In Onitsha (Photos) by laudate: 1:02pm On Apr 21, 2018
Kizyte:
Laudate Iesu Christi, in vitam eternam! cool

Amen! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Reactions As Anambra Begins Demolition Of 'Shanties' In Onitsha (Photos) by laudate: 1:03pm On Apr 21, 2018
MXrap:
I don't want to flood here with terrible outlook of ibadan and other yoruba states.

Govt is removing makeshift stuff but you are all over the place yapping rubbish. What i posted is the normal ibadan outlook but it is already worse than makeshifts we are discussing here.

Bia, why are you so pained? shocked Maybe I should ask those Yoruba people to come in here, and give you a more befitting answer!
Re: Reactions As Anambra Begins Demolition Of 'Shanties' In Onitsha (Photos) by MXrap: 1:04pm On Apr 21, 2018
Pained over what? I am only stating some facts. Please bring them to come and explain why the mud houses and rustic roofs have refused to rebrand in the 21st century.

laudate:

Bia, why are you so pained?Maybe I should ask those Yoruba people to come in here, and give you a more befitting answer! shocked

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reactions As Anambra Begins Demolition Of 'Shanties' In Onitsha (Photos) by laudate: 1:08pm On Apr 21, 2018
MXrap:
Pained over what? I am only stating some facts. Please bring them to come and explain why the mud houses and rustic roofs have refused to rebrand in the 21st century.

Re: Reactions As Anambra Begins Demolition Of 'Shanties' In Onitsha (Photos) by Ofuzo: 1:11pm On Apr 21, 2018
Obi1kenobi:
Positive development, but I always feel sorry for the poor affected. The blame should be laid on the incompetent administrators who allow people erect illegal structures and build homes and livelihoods for themselves and their families on these illegal structures. It then becomes very painful when it is uprooted. But it should never have been set up in the first place.
Exactly right on point. The stupor of the bygone governments of the past allowed this culture to take root. This is why it should be stopped AND STOPPED RIGHT NOW and not allowed to fester. I'm not bragging when I say that I have an idea on the way foward. Something needs to be done, no question about it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reactions As Anambra Begins Demolition Of 'Shanties' In Onitsha (Photos) by Freeman50(m): 1:46pm On Apr 21, 2018
No matter how you might have bathed a pig, it will still go back to the same pit. Same onitsha I know, they will still go back there with time.....Don't think this should be the most priority for now.
Re: Reactions As Anambra Begins Demolition Of 'Shanties' In Onitsha (Photos) by Westbestside: 2:08pm On Apr 21, 2018
post=66898716:

Shanty in Southwest states sky view has no end, it will take decades to demolish them
Omo, the talk pain you o. But thought you don't have shanty in igboland na?

2 Likes

Re: Reactions As Anambra Begins Demolition Of 'Shanties' In Onitsha (Photos) by LegitBoy(m): 3:41pm On Apr 21, 2018
kmcutez:
Anambra so dirty. Warris dis? Bikonu. But to be honest Lagos is dirtier sha.
whats the the correlation between Anambra and Lagos? You had to mention lagos to feel better right?

2 Likes

Re: Reactions As Anambra Begins Demolition Of 'Shanties' In Onitsha (Photos) by jamjo: 3:57pm On Apr 21, 2018
UNIZIK1stSon:
The Anambra State Government has commenced demolition of illegal Structures, Shanties in the State. Starting with Onitsha, the exercise has met a lot of mixed reactions.

A new dawn beckons in Anambra State following the commencement of the demolition of illegal structures and shanties within the Safest State in Nigeria.

Early reports show that while there are one or two persons not so happy about this exercise, a lot of ndi Anambra are overjoyed by the directive given by Gov Willie Obiano to relevant agencies to rid the State of all illegal structures and shanties that provide hiding place for criminals; promote anti-social activities and deface the cities.

The illegal structures which are found at many corners in the State are usually built on gutters thereby blocking the drainage systems with most of them known to be criminal hideouts and places where prostitutes and other miscreants engage in nefarious activities.

Speaking during demolition along Ajasa Street, Onitsha, the State Commissioner for Road, Rail and Water Transport, Uchenna Okafor, said the exercise is in the overall interest of the people noting that despite series of government notices to the communities and affected owners of the structures to enable them vacate, some persons failed to comply.

It could be recalled that the State Government had earlier issued demolition notices followed by aggressive public service announcements through radios, television as well as the use of handbills and town criers spanning months asking the affected persons to do the needful.

The demolition notice drew lots of commendations from well meaning ndi Anambra both home and abroad who attested to the fact that the exercise is key to building a modern and safer State.

According to the Special Adviser to the Governor on Security, Chikodi Anara, the demolition exercise will be conducted through out the State.

"Every structure on the waterways, shops on drainage systems, shanties and any form of illegal structure in Anambra will be demolished without fear or favour. We gave adequate notice to the people involved," Anara added.

Some residents of Venn Road North in Onitsha who spoke to the press confirmed that they were earlier informed before the exercise.

Amaka Edochie, a dry fish dealer while appealing to the government to give them more time to take out their goods said, "Truly we were warned severally before now but it was only yesterday that we know that they (the government) are serious".

The demolition exercise which is being carried out by the authorized law enforcement agencies, will last till all illegal structures and shanties in the State are cleared.

See Exclusive Photos below:

http://mynaijainfo.com/2018/04/anambra-begin-demolition-shanties-illegal-structures/

VERY VERY VERY VERY GOOD DEVELOPMENT I HAVE WANTED SUCH TO HAPPEN AND I WISH ALL THE SOUTHEAST STATES FOLLOWED SUIT.
Re: Reactions As Anambra Begins Demolition Of 'Shanties' In Onitsha (Photos) by Nobody: 4:13pm On Apr 21, 2018
LegitBoy:
whats the the correlation between Anambra and Lagos? You had to mention lagos to feel better right?

Anambra and Lagos are always compared on this forum. I guess you must have missed that.

1 Like

Re: Reactions As Anambra Begins Demolition Of 'Shanties' In Onitsha (Photos) by Westbestside: 5:22pm On Apr 21, 2018
MXrap:

Showing pictures of 80s won't save you. Your brother above is saying the bitter truth.

1 Like

Re: Reactions As Anambra Begins Demolition Of 'Shanties' In Onitsha (Photos) by MXrap: 5:30pm On Apr 21, 2018
Look at these pictures. One was taken from Mapo mall in the 1970s while the 2nd one was just taken in 2018 from the same Mapo mall. Look at the upstairs on the right hand side of the picture. Everything remains the same except for the vehicles that changed from generation to generation.

For all these years from 1970 to 2018 nothing changed in the buildings and environment except that the mud houses and brown roofs were being maintained.

If you have any objection with the pictures i posted then come up with your own pictures.

Westbestside:
Showing pictures of 80s won't save you. Your brother above is saying the bitter truth.

1 Like

Re: Reactions As Anambra Begins Demolition Of 'Shanties' In Onitsha (Photos) by kayfra: 7:17pm On Apr 21, 2018
The "developers" are developing shanties in Anambra and then massive infrastructure in Lagos like third mainland bridge.

Chai! Igbo amala. Igbo kwenu. Chukwu okike abiama o grin
Re: Reactions As Anambra Begins Demolition Of 'Shanties' In Onitsha (Photos) by Westbestside: 8:02pm On Apr 21, 2018
MXrap:
Look at these pictures. One was taken from Mapo mall in the 1970s while the 2nd one was just taken in 2018 from the same Mapo mall. Look at the upstairs on the right hand side of the picture. Everything remains the same except for the vehicles that changed from generation to generation.

For all these years from 1970 to 2018 nothing changed in the buildings and environment except that the mud houses and brown roofs were being maintained.

If you have any objection with the pictures i posted then come up with your own pictures.

I repeat, showing 1980 pictures won't save your ass cheesy. Your brother that knows the truth has spoken.

1 Like

Re: Reactions As Anambra Begins Demolition Of 'Shanties' In Onitsha (Photos) by MXrap: 8:13pm On Apr 21, 2018
Stop sounding like a broken record because it won't save you here. grin

If you doubt my pix then post your own pix to prove me wrong. cheesy

Westbestside:
I repeat, showing 1980 pictures won't save your ass cheesy. Your brother that knows the truth has spoken.

1 Like

Re: Reactions As Anambra Begins Demolition Of 'Shanties' In Onitsha (Photos) by Westbestside: 9:54pm On Apr 21, 2018
MXrap:
Stop sounding like a broken record because it won't save you here. grin

If you doubt my pix then post your own pix to prove me wrong. cheesy

I am not from Ibadan, I don't post pic of olden days just cos I want to denigrate others, I know mapo area, your 1980 picture can't save you. Those that knows the street of onitsa and awka have spoken. I know owerri wella, so nothing you post that freak me. You can only deceive those that have not been to your east before, not people like me. I repeat, your 1980 picture can't save the truth being said here.

2 Likes

Re: Reactions As Anambra Begins Demolition Of 'Shanties' In Onitsha (Photos) by MXrap: 10:05pm On Apr 21, 2018
Bla bla bla.. cheesy

Now you are denying your own ibadan, the next thing you say now is "I am from Lagos" cheesy

You said my pictures are not it. Post your own pictures to prove me wrong. I am waiting ogbeni.

Westbestside:
I am not from Ibadan, I don't post pic of olden days just cos I want to denigrate others, I know mapo area, your 1980 picture can't save you. Those that knows the street of onitsa and awka have spoken. I know owerri wella, so nothing you post that freak me. You can only deceive those that have not been to your east before, not people like me. I repeat, your 1980 picture can't save the truth being said here.

2 Likes

Re: Reactions As Anambra Begins Demolition Of 'Shanties' In Onitsha (Photos) by Yyeske(m): 11:04pm On Apr 21, 2018
What's the big deal about this, that road side makeshift shops around Ose market are being demolished shouldn't be news. They had earlier been warned to leave, it has happened in Awada, Upper Iweka and other parts of the city. I even passed that Egerton-Ajassa area today and saw the demolition.
There are empty shops in Ose market, go get yours instead of trading along the street, Obiano on point as usual.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Human Rights Activist, Deji Adeyanju Called To The Nigerian Bar (Photos) / Bukola Saraki Meets With Albino Foundation (Photos) / Tanko Yakasai: Amotekun Will Promote SouthWest, Southeast, Southsouth Secession

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.