Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,016 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:35 AM

Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? (13770 Views)

The More Intelligent A Child Is,the More Likely It'll Abandon Religion-newstudy / The Difference Between Being A Child Of God And A Son Of God / Was The First Living Thing That Evolved A Child Or An Adult (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by Positivepoint(m): 9:01am On Apr 22, 2018
Gggg102:
Joshua and Jesus is the same name with different format. if you are named Joshua, technically you are bearing Jesus.
it's like;

Abraham-Ibrahim.

Moses-Musa.

Mary-Mariam.

Joseph-Yusuf...

one way or the other, people are named Jesus. so if you want to use the Jesus format,... your choice...

Jesus-isa

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by teekrackz(m): 9:01am On Apr 22, 2018
Baawaa:

I hope you still have parent and they are Christians,tell them your intention and hearken to their instructions.
See what we are talking about here! SMH

2 Likes

Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by samzzycash(m): 9:07am On Apr 22, 2018
eTECTIVe:
Nigerians jus respect d name too much to want to name their kids. It still carries sentimental value.. These countries use d name becos it clearly has a meaning in their languages.. Remember d letter J is pronounced as H in Hispanic and as such it could b d same spelling but different meaning and pronunciation.
Those of u who think Nigerians shld do too becos other countries use d name and think we are jus being too religious, why don't u also want Nigeria to legalise and recognize gays, beastiality or abortion becos other countries do? Or copy every other thing other countries do?
this has nothing to do with copy copy haven't we be copying Bible names. The fact is Jesus is just a name but CHRIST Is Sacred. He was named Jesus by his human parents he was not the first jew to bear that name even in the Bible i think there was another Bar Jesus

2 Likes

Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by Arrahman39: 9:08am On Apr 22, 2018
Gggg102:
Joshua and Jesus is the same name with different format. if you are named Joshua, technically you are bearing Jesus.
it's like;

Abraham-Ibrahim.

Moses-Musa.

Mary-Mariam.nice quote bro, Jesus - Isa which means derived from holy spirit in Hebrew language...

Joseph-Yusuf...

one way or the other, people are named Jesus. so if you want to use the Jesus format,... your choice...
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by airlord2020: 9:11am On Apr 22, 2018
No, it's a common name in Latin American.
Names like Jose de Jesus
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by BluntBoy(m): 9:15am On Apr 22, 2018
Kingsley1000:
Is there anything bad in naming a child"Jesus"?

If you go to other American, middle east and European contries, the name is prevalent there but why is it that Africans, especially Nigerians haven't adopted the name? Is it a sacrilege or demeaning to our Christiandoom? I only have a problem with "CHRIST" but i think i'll be the first Nigerian to name my son"Jesus"

It is just a name. Ironically, if the Christ were on earth today and you call him "Jesus", He wouldn't even know you were calling Him because He didn't even bear that name. That name has witnessed changes from language to language.

It is in Africa and the black world that we carry religion on our heads like gala.

The only name (and it is a title) that you, a Christian, should never call your child is Christ. There is only one Christ; any other christ is false.

2 Likes

Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by Joemetry(m): 9:16am On Apr 22, 2018
Katier00:
I named my son Jesus
One of My nephew's name is Jesus bobo too.
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by hakimi1974(m): 9:18am On Apr 22, 2018
Kingsley1000:
Is there anything bad in naming a child"Jesus"?

If you go to other American, middle east and European contries, the name is prevalent there but why is it that Africans, especially Nigerians haven't adopted the name? Is it a sacrilege or demeaning to our Christiandoom? I only have a problem with "CHRIST" but i think i'll be the first Nigerian to name my son"Jesus"
nope. you wont be the first nigerian to name his son jesus, go to northern nigeria, the name "issah" is prevalent there.
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by galaxy2020(m): 9:19am On Apr 22, 2018
Jesus no, but Jesus Christ yes.
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by Cutehector(m): 9:24am On Apr 22, 2018
We are Africans...Jesus is not an African name.

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by Cyynthialove(f): 9:26am On Apr 22, 2018
Emmanuel is preferable.
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by ariesbull: 9:27am On Apr 22, 2018
No...it's not a sacrilege..Jesus is a common name in Latin America....but Christ isn't
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by chineduemmao: 9:29am On Apr 22, 2018
Op you are probably yorôba cheesy then u leave sweet meaninful names like kofi, kayode, ola, olamide, olaniyi, olayinka, olanike, ayo, fani, etc to name ur child "jesus" are u alright?
Seun mind yourself stop correcting my spelling.

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by Boyooosa(m): 9:38am On Apr 22, 2018
Kingsley1000:
I know you're an athiest,you guys are not allowed in this thread...Pls don't derail
Even you, you are not too far from them with this statement:
I only have a problem with "CHRIST" but i think i'll be the first Nigerian to name my son"Jesus"
...why not name (it) God because you want to start na
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by Validcode: 9:38am On Apr 22, 2018
In South West Nigeria, if you name your child an older living relative's name, they'll call the child; oloruko, mama or Papa.
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by attahoizamisi: 9:39am On Apr 22, 2018
I prefer Lucifer
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by ibinaboonline: 9:40am On Apr 22, 2018
The situation is basically rooted in a misconception of what IN THE NAME OF JESUS means in the Bible. To be as comprehensive as possible, it means BECAUSE OF JESUS or IN THE AUTHORITY OF JESUS or IN BEHALF OF JESUS. The power of the name does not rest in the letters of that name is is evidently proven in the Bible when two men tried casting out demons in the name of Jesus but the demon attacked them. So, using the name of Jesus means using the authority of God and you obviously have to be authorized to do so successfully. It's not about the name itself. The Lord Jesus was not the first person to answer the name. Nor the last. Joshua literally means the same as Jesus. Jesus is just the Greek word for Joshua. So if you named a child Joshua, well, there we are. So there's nothing inherently wrong in naming a child Jesus just like it's not wrong to name a child Joshua. But many new parents even in those foreign countries you mentioned would steer clear of that name out of reverence to the Great Lord. It's not wrong either, to feel that, well, The Lord owns that name now. It's just your faith and your feeling about the issue. Remember, those who named their children Jesus are not you. You don't know what they were thinking or their background. You're asking this question in the first place because you're not comfortable with it. So don't do it because, 'everything that does not come from faith is sin - Romans 14:23'.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by 0monnak0da: 9:45am On Apr 22, 2018
This is simply wrong.

The new testament was written in Greek not English.Most people are totally oblivious of this and its implications.

The Greek form is Christos and many Greeks are called Christos.
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by Kingsley1000(m): 9:47am On Apr 22, 2018
attahoizamisi:
I prefer Lucifer
It means light or someone thats enlightened.check ur dictionary
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by orisa37: 9:48am On Apr 22, 2018
We are all Jesuses to God. It's a BornAgain baptisemal Name. All Apostles of Christ are Christs also. We know all these but just don't want to make it boring.
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by ColdSun: 9:54am On Apr 22, 2018
Shebi people dey answer Emmanuel?
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by MetalJigsaw(m): 9:55am On Apr 22, 2018
Gggg102:
it's like;

Abraham-Ibrahim.

Moses-Musa.

Mary-Mariam.

Joseph-Yusuf...

Your'e wrong. Joshua and Jesus are two different names and persons entirely.

I repeat, Joshua us different from Jesus. Joshua is a different character in the Old Testament, also in the Bible.

Don't get this twisted.
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by amnesty7: 9:57am On Apr 22, 2018
eTECTIVe:
Nigerians jus respect d name too much to want to name their kids. It still carries sentimental value.. These countries use d name becos it clearly has a meaning in their languages.. Remember d letter J is pronounced as H in Hispanic and as such it could b d same spelling but different meaning and pronunciation.
Those of u who think Nigerians shld do too becos other countries use d name and think we are jus being too religious, why don't u also want Nigeria to legalise and recognize gays, beastiality or abortion becos other countries do? Or copy every other thing other countries do?
But Muslims name their kids all over. Jesus = Isa
(upon him be peace). We respect him beyond measure, along with other Chosen Servants of God.
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by Nobody: 9:57am On Apr 22, 2018
Jesus is fake roman name

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by MetalJigsaw(m): 10:00am On Apr 22, 2018
ColdSun:
Shebi people dey answer Emmanuel?
Emmanuel means God is with us. Not Jesus... Although its one of Jesus' alias names.
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by darlingnuel(m): 10:03am On Apr 22, 2018
It's a mark or sign of reverence for the REAL JESUS CHRIST whom we worship. Christians pray in the name of JESUS. When everyone starts bearing same name with the God whose powerful name you pray in, Bro e no make sense na LOL.

From another perspective, the JESUS we worship is the CHRIST. So JESUS CHRIST is the MAIN JESUS. Other Jesus' ain't the Christ... They could be Jesus Ajibola, Jesus Obi... So I'll say, yes it's ok to name your child Jesus, provided you don't add CHRIST to it.

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by Jeezuzpick(m): 10:15am On Apr 22, 2018
If you name your child Joshua, know that it is the same name.

The Hebrew for "Jesus" is "Ya'shua", also pronounced "Yehoshua".

The current form of the name is a result of translation of the Bible to Greek, Latin and then to English.
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by Audray(f): 10:23am On Apr 22, 2018
South Americans bear that a lot except it pronounced 'HAY-ZUZ'.
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by UncleJudax(m): 10:48am On Apr 22, 2018
Jesus as a name is popular with Hispanics...I don't think anything bis wrong with it...until you add Christ.
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by Bobby95(m): 10:51am On Apr 22, 2018
i have seen a nigerian named jesus, a yoruba dude, James Oni Jesus
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by rookiy(m): 10:55am On Apr 22, 2018
pdppower:
It's only in this part of the world that people don't name their children Jesus. It's used in Angola and most especially in the South America. There is Jesus Navas, a Spaniard, Gabriel Jesus, a Brazilian etc
if not for football will u know ..if u HV a child ,u go get mind name am Jesus ..?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Difference Between Working For God And Working For Church / Hpw Can I Become A Pastor In Rccg? / Why Is Adeboye Seen As Spiritual Father And Why Not Kumuyi?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.