Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,678 members, 7,816,780 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:02 PM

Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? (13765 Views)

The More Intelligent A Child Is,the More Likely It'll Abandon Religion-newstudy / The Difference Between Being A Child Of God And A Son Of God / Was The First Living Thing That Evolved A Child Or An Adult (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by rookiy(m): 10:56am On Apr 22, 2018
Samsimple:
Africans sef... Specifically some nigerians their way of thinking is appalling... Religion is holding this country down seriously... How does naming a child jesus become a sacrilage... It seem people people named jesus always turn out to be successful.. I will name my child jesus and he will play 4 manchester united..

GGMU..
Oga Jesus navas is a flop ohhh..lol
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by rookiy(m): 10:58am On Apr 22, 2018
eTECTIVe:
Nigerians jus respect d name too much to want to name their kids. It still carries sentimental value.. These countries use d name becos it clearly has a meaning in their languages.. Remember d letter J is pronounced as H in Hispanic and as such it could b d same spelling but different meaning and pronunciation.
Those of u who think Nigerians shld do too becos other countries use d name and think we are jus being too religious, why don't u also want Nigeria to legalise and recognize gays, beastiality or abortion becos other countries do? Or copy every other thing other countries do?
I concur ..tell them
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by mvem(m): 11:07am On Apr 22, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
Your'e wrong. Joshua and Jesus are two different names and persons entirely.

I repeat, Joshua us different from Jesus. Joshua is a different character in the Old Testament, also in the Bible.

Don't get this twisted.
...let me educate you...Jesus is the English translation of the Hebrew Yeshua...That's the original name...but the new testament was written in Greek so the Yeshua was written as Ieosos in Greek...when then transcribed the Greek word Ieosos to English, it is pronounced Jesus... Many ignorant Christian thinks Jesus was called Jesus or the bible was originally written in English...And Yeshua is basically Joshua... There is no big deal about the name....even if u were in Jesus time and u called him Jesus,he wouldn't answer you because that's not how his name was pronounced..... The whole issue lies with langague transcription

4 Likes

Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by mvem(m): 11:10am On Apr 22, 2018
rookiy:
if not for football will u know ..if u HV a child ,u go get mind name am Jesus ..?
...let me educate you...Jesus is the English translation of the Hebrew Yeshua...That's the original name...but the new testament was written in Greek so the Yeshua was written as Ieosos in Greek...when then transcribed the Greek word Ieosos to English, it is pronounced Jesus... Many ignorant Christian thinks Jesus was called Jesus or the bible was originally written in English...And Yeshua is basically Joshua... There is no big deal about the name....even if u were in Jesus time and u called him Jesus,he wouldn't answer you because that's not how his name was pronounced..... The whole issue lies with langague transcription

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by mvem(m): 11:11am On Apr 22, 2018
Jesus is the English translation of the Hebrew Yeshua...That's the original name...but the new testament was written in Greek so the Yeshua was written as "Ieosos" in Greek...when then transcribed the Greek word Ieosos to English, it is pronounced Jesus... Many ignorant Christian thinks Jesus was called Jesus or the bible was originally written in English...And Yeshua is basically Joshua... There is no big deal about the name....even if u were in Jesus time and u called him Jesus,he wouldn't answer you because that's not how his name was pronounced..... The whole issue lies with langague transcription
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by MarieSucre(f): 11:13am On Apr 22, 2018
Baawaa:

I hope you still have parent and they are Christians,tell them your intention and hearken to their instructions.

What if they tell him to go ahead?
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by MarieSucre(f): 11:17am On Apr 22, 2018
IamD18:
Name your child JUDAS

Judas was actually quite a popular name hundreds of years after Jesus death. in fact a popular historian is called Ben Judas(i think).

It is an ordinary name with an ordinary meaning.
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by wisemaster(m): 11:21am On Apr 22, 2018
It depends on your motive for wanting to name your child Jesus.

But beware, naming your child Jesus does not excuse him from sin and does not also mean automatic ticket to heaven.

Infact, if care is not taken, he may bear Jesus and become one of the greatest criminals of all times. That's the truth.

Remember the seven sons of sceva. So it's not about the Name but about vessel calling it or bearing it. The devil knows the real Jesus anyday.

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by Holahtunez(m): 11:35am On Apr 22, 2018
Omuneizzy6:
In nigeria the piken wont make it...
Imagine calling your child name Buhari.. Ur piken will just be misbehaving.... But we have
Gabriel Jesus
Adam jesus and so on...not in nigeria oo
Did buhari nt make it..nt once bt twice at that...
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by Katier00(f): 11:49am On Apr 22, 2018
Kingsley1000:
It's a lie.the name is not accepted in africa esp nigeria,it seems weird.the religious fanatics see it as something that is abominable
do you know if am from Africa.
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by Prinztong(m): 11:55am On Apr 22, 2018
I've been trying to figure it out. I was even arguing with my colleague few days ago on this same issue. Many people bear Emmanuel which still mean Jesus but Naming a Child Jesus seems so Unacceptable in Nigeria.
I'm considering Naming my First son Jesus,My only prayer is that God should Make him a good and God fearing Child and not the one who will tarnish the Image of Jesus Christ.
In Islamic Religion many people answer Mohammed afterall.
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by GrammarNazi1(m): 11:56am On Apr 22, 2018
Asowari:
no it's not bad to name one child's Jesus .but in a country like ours it will be weird naming a child Jesus, seeing how religious we are. apart from that I think it's really cool name.
...one's child...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by cerpvad(m): 11:58am On Apr 22, 2018
It is also written Yeshua
Gggg102:
Joshua and Jesus is the same name with different format. if you are named Joshua, technically you are bearing Jesus.
it's like;

Abraham-Ibrahim.

Moses-Musa.

Mary-Mariam.

Joseph-Yusuf...

one way or the other, people are named Jesus. so if you want to use the Jesus format,... your choice...
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by Nobody: 12:04pm On Apr 22, 2018
Karlovich:
Jesus is a Hispanic name, nothing wrong with it

Jesus is not a Hispanic name. Lol.

It is an anglicized form of the common Judaic name "Yeshua" also popularly called Joshua.
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by Nobody: 12:06pm On Apr 22, 2018
Prinztong:
I've been trying to figure it out. I was even arguing with my colleague few days ago on this same issue. Many people bear Emmanuel which still mean Jesus but Naming a Child Jesus seems so Unacceptable in Nigeria.
I'm considering Naming my First son Jesus,My only prayer is that God should Make him a good and God fearing Child and not the one who will tarnish the Image of Jesus Christ.

Strictly speaking Emmanuel doesn't mean Jesus.

They both have different meanings. Though both are used in Christianity to refer to the same person.
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by Temysteve(m): 12:07pm On Apr 22, 2018
Kingsley1000:
Is there anything bad in naming a child"Jesus"?

If you go to other American, middle east and European contries, the name is prevalent there but why is it that Africans, especially Nigerians haven't adopted the name? Is it a sacrilege or demeaning to our Christiandoom? I only have a problem with "CHRIST" but i think i'll be the first Nigerian to name my son"Jesus"
if you name the boy and he's acting a satan what did you want people to say??
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by Temysteve(m): 12:09pm On Apr 22, 2018
IamD18:
Name your child JUDAS
judas ko delilah ni.
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by Temysteve(m): 12:09pm On Apr 22, 2018
IamD18:
Name your child JUDAS
judas ko delilah ni...
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by Chochovini: 12:14pm On Apr 22, 2018
Kingsley1000:
It's a lie.the name is not accepted in africa esp nigeria,it seems weird.the religious fanatics see it as something that is abominable
SAYS WHO
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by Bakrabas: 12:14pm On Apr 22, 2018
I know of a player called Pastor Jesus, Google is friend for the benefit of doubt. Muslims do name their children Isa the Arabic meaning of Jesus.
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by Crowny11(f): 12:18pm On Apr 22, 2018
nope it not wrong it a name bt it wird to name a child JESUS CHRIST
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by XingXhang(m): 12:38pm On Apr 22, 2018
Doerstech:
No its not...

But can't name anyone Christ .....

Why? Christ means the ANOINTED ONE. There are many anointed replicas of Jesus today.

It's not about the name. It's the power vested on that particular name, JESUS! Satan knows when you call that one.
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by Chochovini: 12:41pm On Apr 22, 2018
amnesty7:

But Muslims name their kids all over. Jesus = Isa
(upon him be peace). We respect him beyond measure, along with other Chosen Servants of God.
Pls spare us that lie. U guys (muslims) don‘t even know whom Jesus Christ is. U only heard of Him and regards Him as another prophet like others before Him. The worst is comparing Him to that your mohammed of a man whom u claimed was also a prophet of only God knows whom!
While on our part as Chrisyians, we strongly believe and recieved Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour, the prophet of all prophets, the King of kings the Lord of lords and the Prince of peace. (the very thing that is really lacking in islam).
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by Nedfed(m): 12:42pm On Apr 22, 2018
Kneephy:
Gabriel Jesus plays for Manchester City

Are u sure is not Kano pillar?

Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by sinkhole: 12:51pm On Apr 22, 2018
OP, please be careful ooo! if you name your son Jesus, then the boy will have to avoid northern Nigeria like a plague for the rest of his life. If by mistake or otherwise he entered there then he will hardly last for an hour shocked shocked shocked
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by MetalJigsaw(m): 12:52pm On Apr 22, 2018
mvem:
Are you now telling me that a certain man named Joshua does not exist in the Bible?
You're the one that needs to be educated.
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by Chochovini: 1:03pm On Apr 22, 2018
Prinztong:
I just hope you are not in anyway comparing mohammed to Jesus Christ? Because the two persons are as different as the sky is to the earth. Mohammed died and rot off as maggots had a sumptious meal feasting on him but when Jesus Christ was killed and buried, He triumphantly rose again from death on the third day. So I ask you, are they comparable?
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by ufumes(m): 1:04pm On Apr 22, 2018
Prinztong:

Jesus is a special name. It depends on your intention of naming him after Jesus. Do you really want him to live like Christ? To suffer and die innocently at the prime of his youth? Are you ready to do all within your power to make him love God above every other things... Even education, power, money etc... Maybe the second commandment might even be against it... Using the name of the Lord your God in vain..
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by Jobben10(m): 1:05pm On Apr 22, 2018
Kneephy:
Gabriel Jesus plays for Manchester City
He is not call Jesus but Yesus.. J is pronounce as Y in Spain Brazil and other part of the world you think
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by doctorbabs(m): 1:11pm On Apr 22, 2018
IT because IN NIGERIA, THEY SEE THE NAME JESUS AS GOD BUT IF ANYBODY WANT TO TEST THE SUPERIORITY OF GOD OVER JESUS, NAME YOUR CHILD "GOD' LET SEE IF THE CHILD WILL survive. IN THE NEXT 24hrs.
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by BluntBoy(m): 1:22pm On Apr 22, 2018
rookiy:
if not for football will u know ..if u HV a child ,u go get mind name am Jesus ..?

But people dey get mind name their children Emmanuel

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by BluntBoy(m): 1:24pm On Apr 22, 2018
doctorbabs:
IT because IN NIGERIA, THEY SEE THE NAME JESUS AS GOD BUT IF ANYBODY WANT TO TEST THE SUPERIORITY OF GOD OVER JESUS, NAME YOUR CHILD "GOD' LET SEE IF THE CHILD WILL survive. IN THE NEXT 24hrs.

Nothing will happen. You are not God and God is not man.

If you were God, you will kill the child. But, you are not God and God will never behave so petty.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Difference Between Working For God And Working For Church / Hpw Can I Become A Pastor In Rccg? / Why Is Adeboye Seen As Spiritual Father And Why Not Kumuyi?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.