Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,669 members, 7,816,750 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:23 PM

Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? (13764 Views)

The More Intelligent A Child Is,the More Likely It'll Abandon Religion-newstudy / The Difference Between Being A Child Of God And A Son Of God / Was The First Living Thing That Evolved A Child Or An Adult (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by Moahmed: 1:28pm On Apr 22, 2018
Gggg102:
Joshua and Jesus is the same name with different format. if you are named Joshua, technically you are bearing Jesus.
it's like;

Abraham-Ibrahim.

Moses-Musa.

Mary-Mariam.

Joseph-Yusuf...

one way or the other, people are named Jesus. so if you want to use the Jesus format,... your choice...

Wrong
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by mmsen: 1:29pm On Apr 22, 2018
Kingsley1000:
Is there anything bad in naming a child"Jesus"?

If you go to other American, middle east and European contries, the name is prevalent there but why is it that Africans, especially Nigerians haven't adopted the name? Is it a sacrilege or demeaning to our Christiandoom? I only have a problem with "CHRIST" but i think i'll be the first Nigerian to name my son"Jesus"

It depends on which part of Europe and which part of the Americas.

In the Iberian peninsula it is common, likewise Latin America but you won't find Jesus among the native peoples of northern or eastern Europe.

Nor have I ever met anyone from the Middle East called Jesus.
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by Gggg102(m): 1:31pm On Apr 22, 2018
Moahmed:

Wrong

what's wrong about it.
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by BluntBoy(m): 1:36pm On Apr 22, 2018
eTECTIVe:
Nigerians jus respect d name too much to want to name their kids. It still carries sentimental value.. These countries use d name becos it clearly has a meaning in their languages.. Remember d letter J is pronounced as H in Hispanic and as such it could b d same spelling but different meaning and pronunciation.
Those of u who think Nigerians shld do too becos other countries use d name and think we are jus being too religious, why don't u also want Nigeria to legalise and recognize gays, beastiality or abortion becos other countries do? Or copy every other thing other countries do?

But they do not respect Emmanuel?

Yeshua (Jesus) means "God saves".

Immanuel and all its variants means "God with us".

If people (even the religious Nigerians) can bear "God with us" which I believe is even more sacrilegious and should even be reserved exclusively for the Christ, why not "God saves" which is what Yeshua (Jesus) means??
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by Equiano: 1:39pm On Apr 22, 2018
Anyone can answer jesus. but not Jesus Christ, which belongs to the son of God only.
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by louiziana(m): 1:41pm On Apr 22, 2018
It is normal to name your child Jesus in Spain, but most Africans see it as a taboo.
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by BluntBoy(m): 1:41pm On Apr 22, 2018
mmsen:

It depends on which part of Europe and which part of the Americas.

In the Iberian peninsula it is common, likewise Latin America but you won't find Jesus among the native peoples of northern or eastern Europe.

Nor have I ever met anyone from the Middle East called Jesus.

Bro, Jesus is an English form of Yeshua.

You can't expect a person from the Middle East to bear Jesus. He would bear Yeshua (the Hebrew word for Joshua).

I forget. And for the Arabs, they would bear Issa (not sure of the spelling).
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by steveDpro: 1:41pm On Apr 22, 2018
People answer the name of course
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by Seeker091: 1:46pm On Apr 22, 2018
Due to religious sentiment, We do believe naming child after Jesus is alike bearing a name with God the creator which can sabotage his life. It's absurd believe. Muslim are naming their male children Jesus(ISA).
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by stankezzy: 1:47pm On Apr 22, 2018
I have gone through all the statements but could not find one of a real christian , nameing your child Jesus is not the problem , in Spanish Jesus is a common name , we have Jesus navas , Gabriel Jesus and others . Jesus in the bible the difference is that he is Jesus christ , christ means the anointed one , u can be Jesus but not Jesus christ or else u are contesting with the son of God and any thing u see u take.
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by mmsen: 1:49pm On Apr 22, 2018
BluntBoy:

Bro, Jesus is an English form of Yeshua.

You can't expect a person from the Middle East to bear Jesus. He would bear Yeshua (the Hebrew word for Joshua).

I forget. And for the Arabs, they would bear Issa (not sure of the spelling).

Well then there are several people called Joshua and Yeshua.

I don't know why this is a thread.

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by HomeOfMe(f): 1:50pm On Apr 22, 2018
Kingsley1000:

If you go to other American, middle east and European contries, the name is prevalent there but why is it that Africans, especially Nigerians haven't adopted the name? Is it a sacrilege or demeaning to our Christiandoom? I only have a problem with "CHRIST" but i think i'll be the first Nigerian to name my son"Jesus"
The name is quite common amongst Mexicans but it is pronounced,"haysues". It 'd be quite odd to have a nigerian bare the name.
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by phpfx(m): 1:57pm On Apr 22, 2018
hopefulLandlord:
Jesus is just another name just like Harry Potter, Superman, Batman, Wonderwoman, Green Goblin etc
grin grin Aethist alert!!

this guy nah fooool!! cheesy
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by BluntBoy(m): 1:59pm On Apr 22, 2018
stankezzy:
I have gone through all the statements but could not find one of a real christian , nameing your child Jesus is not the problem , in Spanish Jesus is a common name , we have Jesus navas , Gabriel Jesus and others . Jesus in the bible the difference is that he is Jesus christ , christ means the anointed one , u can be Jesus but not Jesus christ or else u are contesting with the son of God and any thing u see u take.

You didn't go through all the comments, then. Some people and I have already stated what you just stated here.

In my post (perhaps, you missed it or you lied about going through all the comments), I wrote that "Jesus" is just a name but there is only one "Christ". In other words, there is nothing sacrilegious in bearing Jesus. It only becomes a problem when you call yourself Jesus Christ.
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by hopefulLandlord: 2:00pm On Apr 22, 2018
phpfx:

grin grin Aethist alert!!

this guy nah fooool!! cheesy

Height of foolishness is when a Nigerian thinks a Jew that was killed by 3 nails in a far away Israel aeons ago was dying for his sins when the Jews themselves don't believe any of that crap

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by imhere: 2:00pm On Apr 22, 2018
It is a name like any other name, the Jew bears it most. The only difference with Jesus our saviour is that His own is Jesus the christ.

That's why we call Him Jesus Christ of Nazareth
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by mvem(m): 2:19pm On Apr 22, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
Are you now telling me that a certain man named Joshua does not exist in the Bible?
You're the one that needs to be educated.
...I never said so...Joshua is a popular Jewish name answered by many during and after biblical time...
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by BluntBoy(m): 2:33pm On Apr 22, 2018
HomeOfMe:
The name is quite common amongst Mexicans but it is pronounced,"haysues". It 'd be quite odd to have a nigerian bare the name.

They are already bearing it without knowing it cheesy

There are a lot of Joshuas around.
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by rookiy(m): 5:07pm On Apr 22, 2018
mvem:
...let me educate you...Jesus is the English translation of the Hebrew Yeshua...That's the original name...but the new testament was written in Greek so the Yeshua was written as Ieosos in Greek...when then transcribed the Greek word Ieosos to English, it is pronounced Jesus... Many ignorant Christian thinks Jesus was called Jesus or the bible was originally written in English...And Yeshua is basically Joshua... There is no big deal about the name....even if u were in Jesus time and u called him Jesus,he wouldn't answer you because that's not how his name was pronounced..... The whole issue lies with langague transcription
so with all this Epistle now ..can u still name ur own child Jesus?
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by Doerstech(m): 6:00pm On Apr 22, 2018
XingXhang:

Why? Christ means the ANOINTED ONE. There are many anointed replicas of Jesus today.

It's not about the name. It's the power vested on that particular name, JESUS! Satan knows when you call that one.

ANOINTED REPLICA OF JESUS?

OK
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by mvem(m): 6:01pm On Apr 22, 2018
rookiy:
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by mvem(m): 6:01pm On Apr 22, 2018
rookiy:
why not if not
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by pek(m): 6:16pm On Apr 22, 2018
0monnak0da:

This is simply wrong.

The new testament was written in Greek not English.Most people are totally oblivious of this and its implications.

The Greek form is Christos and many Greeks are called Christos.
How is naming your child Jesus wrong? You didn't care to tell us. FYI, Jesus is an every day name. So, if people here bear John, Matthew, Timothy etc, they can as well bear Jesus.
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by 0monnak0da: 6:18pm On Apr 22, 2018
pek:
How is naming your child Jesus wrong? You didn't care to tell us. FYI, Jesus is an every day name. So, if people here bear John, Matthew, Timothy etc, they can as well bear Jesus.
I did not say Naming your child Jesus is wrong
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by pek(m): 6:36pm On Apr 22, 2018
0monnak0da:
I did not say Naming your child Jesus is wrong
Read the first statement of what you wrote again, slowly.
Re: Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? by Nobody: 4:49am On Apr 23, 2018
Kingsley1000:

Jesus is just an English version of his name. He is called Yeshua/Joshua

I've met many Joshuas, Emmanuels, ,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Difference Between Working For God And Working For Church / Hpw Can I Become A Pastor In Rccg? / Why Is Adeboye Seen As Spiritual Father And Why Not Kumuyi?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.