Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,265 members, 7,811,749 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:47 PM

NERC, Eko DISCO Sued For N50m Over Exorbitant Bill, Others - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NERC, Eko DISCO Sued For N50m Over Exorbitant Bill, Others (8405 Views)

Court Orders Police To Pay OurMumuDonDo N50m Over Attack During Protest / Okota Residents Storm IKEDC Office Over Exorbitant Light Bill, Make Demand / Eko Disco Announces 5-day Power Outage In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NERC, Eko DISCO Sued For N50m Over Exorbitant Bill, Others by SIRmanjar(m): 3:58pm On Apr 24, 2018
Good
Re: NERC, Eko DISCO Sued For N50m Over Exorbitant Bill, Others by slowice(m): 3:59pm On Apr 24, 2018
This is the best news I ve read this year..... I feel good about this
Re: NERC, Eko DISCO Sued For N50m Over Exorbitant Bill, Others by breezeng: 4:02pm On Apr 24, 2018
Nice one. Nigerians crawling out of laziness gradually. Exactly d same thing happening in my area. There was a peaceful protest last week Monday against IBEDC Elega Abeokuta. They were forced to shut down there office since then, until they reduce arbitrary bills and distribute prepaid meters. The community collected many bills and returned it to there office. In retaliation, they have disconnected us since then, but we don't care.
We need to wake up and fight for our right. This Government won't fighht for u ooo. This is a Government who promised us prepaid meters and uninterrupted power supply. Look at them looking d other way as if they don't know that the electricity companies are cheating the consumers. It is well with our nation
Re: NERC, Eko DISCO Sued For N50m Over Exorbitant Bill, Others by psalmist00000(m): 4:08pm On Apr 24, 2018
Re: NERC, Eko DISCO Sued For N50m Over Exorbitant Bill, Others by olaolaking: 4:10pm On Apr 24, 2018
NotBeenPaid:
I sent NERC an email yesterday concerning Abuja Electricity Distribution Company refusal to issue me a prepaid meter and outrageous light bills(estimated bills) and they're yet to respond.

The idea of estimated bills should scrapped out. We the citizens really have a major role to play in this because it affects mostly the poor.
The first step is to write the disco first. Nerc will still send you back to disco and you have no case if you have not contacted the disco first. It is only when disco fails to do something that you can escalate it to nerc
Re: NERC, Eko DISCO Sued For N50m Over Exorbitant Bill, Others by olaolaking: 4:19pm On Apr 24, 2018
Bloggz74:

These DISCOS are the greatest problems in this country especially EKOEDC.

Good one let's do this I have been waiting for it and I urge other communities under them to follow suit.

I pay 20k every month even when there's no light.
it is very unfortunate. I live in a place where electricity is very constant. As I am typing this, our light has been on for more than 72 hours and no interruption.

I spent less than 3k in a month because we use prepaid meter in my 3 bedroom. Though I manage because we off everything if not in use. Even our fridge only works 14 hours a day. We also make sure that we empty 2 other fridges and merge all items in one fridge the moment we have less things to put.

If we are careless, we may use up to 4k in a month that means we use washing machine a couple of times.

Electricity is really cheap in Nigeria and if they produce prepaid meter, they must increase the tarrif to makenpro.

The good side is that you will know that you are paying for what you use

2 Likes

Re: NERC, Eko DISCO Sued For N50m Over Exorbitant Bill, Others by NotBeenPaid: 4:20pm On Apr 24, 2018
olaolaking:
The first step is to write the disco first. Nerc will still send you back to disco and you have no case if you have not contacted the disco first. It is only when disco fails to do something that you can escalate it to nerc
I did that already months ago. They even endorsed the letter with stamp and signature
Re: NERC, Eko DISCO Sued For N50m Over Exorbitant Bill, Others by olaolaking: 4:25pm On Apr 24, 2018
NotBeenPaid:

I did that already months ago. They even endorsed the letter with stamp and signature
Good. Your case is solved if you have proofs
Re: NERC, Eko DISCO Sued For N50m Over Exorbitant Bill, Others by Omooba77: 4:30pm On Apr 24, 2018
olaolaking:
it is very unfortunate. I live in a place where electricity is very constant. As I am typing this, our light has been on for more than 72 hours and no interruption.

I spent less than 3k in a month because we use prepaid meter in my 3 bedroom. Though I manage because we off everything if not in use. Even our fridge only works 14 hours a day. We also make sure that we empty 2 other fridges and merge all items in one fridge the moment we have less things to put.

If we are careless, we may use up to 4k in a month that means we use washing machine a couple of times.

Electricity is really cheap in Nigeria and if they produce prepaid meter, they must increase the tarrif to makenpro.

That means you live in at least 3 bedroom and you spend less thank 5k with prepaid on constant electricity and yet 2 bedroom without constant light you get like 21k bill.
Re: NERC, Eko DISCO Sued For N50m Over Exorbitant Bill, Others by Omooba77: 4:32pm On Apr 24, 2018
NotBeenPaid:

Scan the letter and copy nerc
Re: NERC, Eko DISCO Sued For N50m Over Exorbitant Bill, Others by aujile(m): 4:32pm On Apr 24, 2018
NotBeenPaid:
I sent NERC an email yesterday concerning Abuja Electricity Distribution Company refusal to issue me a prepaid meter and outrageous light bills(estimated bills) and they're yet to respond.

The idea of estimated bills should scrapped out. We the citizens really have a major role to play in this because it affects mostly the poor.
Don't mind them, they are only refusing because they know how much they have been making from hard working nigerian youth.
Honestly prepaid is the best, since they mounted mine I have not paid for the past four months getting to five months. But before it was mounted estimated bill was 5k to 8k monthly
Re: NERC, Eko DISCO Sued For N50m Over Exorbitant Bill, Others by NotBeenPaid: 4:34pm On Apr 24, 2018
Omooba77:

Scan the letter and copy nerc
Did that already
Re: NERC, Eko DISCO Sued For N50m Over Exorbitant Bill, Others by steefi07: 4:37pm On Apr 24, 2018
Very good the court should help Nigerians with this Eko Disco they are really fraudulent they give you wrong estimated bill you have to pay for light you did not use we need help please prepared metres should be provided even if we have to pay for the metre
Re: NERC, Eko DISCO Sued For N50m Over Exorbitant Bill, Others by Gboom: 5:06pm On Apr 24, 2018
One of the major nest of corruption in Nigeria are all these power holding companies, why are they afraid of distributing prepaid meters to consumers?
Re: NERC, Eko DISCO Sued For N50m Over Exorbitant Bill, Others by bejeria101(m): 5:09pm On Apr 24, 2018
NotBeenPaid:

The idea of estimated bills should be scrapped out. We the citizens really have a major role to play in this because it affects mostly the poor.

I stay in abuja also there is a lunatic staff that we reported cos of this estimated bills,guess what guy removes the fuse covering our area,we go to hq in maitama and he was summoned and queried. We got home and there was light. You give them small power and they would lord it over you.
Re: NERC, Eko DISCO Sued For N50m Over Exorbitant Bill, Others by Mustack: 5:11pm On Apr 24, 2018
Let me follow up as well.. My community is planning to stage a protest at alausa. We all agreed that no light should be disconnected. The baale and dpo of orile community have been copied about it..
Re: NERC, Eko DISCO Sued For N50m Over Exorbitant Bill, Others by NotBeenPaid: 5:16pm On Apr 24, 2018
bejeria101:

I stay in abuja also there is a lunatic staff that we reported cos of this estimated bills,guess what guy removes the fuse covering our area,we go to hq in maitama and he was summoned and queried. We got home and there was light. You give them small power and they would lord it over you.
The guys in your neighborhood were supposed to lynch him and give him the beating of his life undecided

1 Like

Re: NERC, Eko DISCO Sued For N50m Over Exorbitant Bill, Others by Zdoh(m): 5:22pm On Apr 24, 2018
olaolaking:

They don't want to distribute the meter because of extortion ...Fashola that promise us didn't do anything about the meter they keep lie day and night eating the money...I know God us watching.
Re: NERC, Eko DISCO Sued For N50m Over Exorbitant Bill, Others by Zdoh(m): 5:24pm On Apr 24, 2018
bejeria101:

I think that is what's affecting everyone

1 Like

Re: NERC, Eko DISCO Sued For N50m Over Exorbitant Bill, Others by Zdoh(m): 5:27pm On Apr 24, 2018
Most Nigerians don't know their right and it's a problem
Re: NERC, Eko DISCO Sued For N50m Over Exorbitant Bill, Others by Nobody: 5:51pm On Apr 24, 2018
This post deserves to be pinned to front page. Seun abi you no dey use light?

1 Like

Re: NERC, Eko DISCO Sued For N50m Over Exorbitant Bill, Others by olaolaking: 6:17pm On Apr 24, 2018
Omooba77:

That means you live in at least 3 bedroom and you spend less thank 5k with prepaid on constant electricity and yet 2 bedroom without constant light you get like 21k bill.
That is what I am saying. With the current tariff and normal charges, there are some face me and face you that will not consume more than 700 naira in a month
Re: NERC, Eko DISCO Sued For N50m Over Exorbitant Bill, Others by Omooba77: 7:22pm On Apr 24, 2018
NotBeenPaid:
Did that already
That is it
Re: NERC, Eko DISCO Sued For N50m Over Exorbitant Bill, Others by 9gerian: 9:10pm On Apr 24, 2018
Good one!

We need more of this type of law suits to straighten out all these NEPA / PHCN / DISTRIBUTION COMPANIES who keep defrauding hapless citizens with estimated bills.

Lawyers pls help the people to stop this unending fraud. Affected People/Areas should consult with radical lawyers who are activists to push back the extortion and claim damages for the intimidation, trauma and illegality being deliberately perpetrated against them!!!

When enough judgment debts are incurred by the distribution companies, they will shape up quickly and do the right thing.

Omooba77:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/04/nerc-eko-disco-sued-n50m-exorbitant-bill-others/
Re: NERC, Eko DISCO Sued For N50m Over Exorbitant Bill, Others by steveDpro: 9:38pm On Apr 24, 2018
Good
Re: NERC, Eko DISCO Sued For N50m Over Exorbitant Bill, Others by olumide4christ: 10:16pm On Apr 24, 2018
9gerian:
Good one!

We need more of this type of law suits to straighten out all these NEPA / PHCN / DISTRIBUTION COMPANIES who keep defrauding hapless citizens with estimated bills.

Lawyers pls help the people to stop this unending fraud. Affected People/Areas should consult with radical lawyers who are activists to push back the extortion and claim damages for the intimidation, trauma and illegality being deliberately perpetrated against them!!!

When enough judgment debts are incurred by the distribution companies, they will shape up quickly and do the right thing.

Some lawyers have already started this. See the WhatsApp message I received from quite a number of people earlier this month-

"Do you know that, by law, you are entitled to at least 14 days between the date you receive your Electricity bill and the date when you are to pay that bill?

Do you know that, by law, your Electricity Distribution Company must give you a written notice of disconnection before it can disconnect you for non-payment of your bill?

If you answered yes to the last question, then do you know that, by law, your Electricity Distribution Company must wait for at least 90 days from the date of giving you notice of disconnection, before it can legally disconnect you?

Do you know that if you are unlawfully disconnected, you can compel your distribution company to reconnect you without paying reconnection fee, and that you can get this done without going to court?

Do you know that, if you are illegally disconnected, you are entitled to damages at a minimum of #1,000 per day to be paid by your Electricity Distribution Company for each day of disconnection till your power is restored?

Do you know that there is an administrative body that meets in your city, or a city close to you, that monitors the activities of Electricity Distribution Companies and will compel them to respect your rights if they breach same?

If you answered NO to any of these questions, then you, like so many others, are the victim of a conspiracy of silence by the Electricity distribution companies, who have been statutorily mandated to carry out regular public awareness campaigns on these and other consumer rights within their franchise area.

There is a solution at hand.

An online platform has been created to educate power consumers of their rights under the reformed power sector in Nigeria. Not only that, if you have suffered from any breach of your rights, you can get *free help* on that platform to enforce your rights.

Go to www.nepawahala.ng.

Register. Ask any question that bothers you. Ask for help. It's all free.

Go to www.nepawahala.ng.

One candle loses nothing by lighting another. It only spreads light and pushes back this present darkness.

If you have suffered from a breach of your rights as a power consumer, chances are someone you know has been, or is, a victim too....

Go to www.nepawahala.ng. "
Re: NERC, Eko DISCO Sued For N50m Over Exorbitant Bill, Others by Ayobami7(m): 11:57pm On Apr 24, 2018
Okkay
Re: NERC, Eko DISCO Sued For N50m Over Exorbitant Bill, Others by Freeeanijor: 1:03am On Apr 25, 2018
I must acknoledge that this move initiated by this people has awaken a consciousness in me about really knowing the scope of my rights contained in the Electric Power Sector Reform (EPSR) Act, 2005 as an electricity consumer in Nigeria. I went to NERC website, there I realised that AEDC has been cheating me all the while. Change will begin with AEDC because I am ready to follow the guideline found on NERC website to ensure that I receive a fair billing and treatment.
Re: NERC, Eko DISCO Sued For N50m Over Exorbitant Bill, Others by Omooba77: 1:26am On Apr 25, 2018
Freeeanijor:
I must acknoledge that this move initiated by this people has awaken a consciousness in me about really knowing the scope of my rights contained in the Electric Power Sector Reform (EPSR) Act, 2005 as an electricity consumer in Nigeria. I went to NERC website, there I realised that AEDC has been cheating me all the while. Change will begin with AEDC because I am ready to follow the guideline found on NERC website to ensure that I receive a fair billing and treatment.

Thanks for this, God bless you, if we can all wake up to our right.
Re: NERC, Eko DISCO Sued For N50m Over Exorbitant Bill, Others by Freeeanijor: 3:44am On Apr 25, 2018
Omooba77:

Thanks for this, God bless you, if we can all wake up to our right.
Thanks Bro,
Can you believe that a neighbor's wire was disconnected by staffs of AEDC from the pole for the past 4 months, they parted away with the wire and up till now they are still bringing estimated bill for them to pay?

It's the responsibility of DISCos to enlighten the public on how these things work, they have failed to do so. Let's collectively tell them in case they have forgotten.
Re: NERC, Eko DISCO Sued For N50m Over Exorbitant Bill, Others by Omooba77: 2:05pm On Apr 25, 2018
Freeeanijor:
Thanks Bro,
Can you believe that a neighbor's wire was disconnected by staffs of AEDC from the pole for the past 4 months, they parted away with the wire and up till now they are still bringing estimated bill for them to pay?

It's the responsibility of DISCos to enlighten the public on how these things work, they have failed to do so. Let's collectively tell them in case they have forgotten.

Our country home that no one stays has its wire removed. Our parent dont stay around too. We can win this battle
Re: NERC, Eko DISCO Sued For N50m Over Exorbitant Bill, Others by Nobody: 12:50am On Apr 26, 2018
NotBeenPaid:

The idea of estimated bills should be scrapped out. We the citizens really have a major role to play in this because it affects mostly the poor.
I wrote a letter to AEDC life camp to come and disconnect my light with immediate effect and to stop bringing me over estimated bill until they are ready to provide a pre paid meter. Which I humbly applied for since June 2017. I wrote this letter on 14th April and took it personally to their life camp office of which they acknowledged. They have not come to disconnect my power supply yet. So I am waiting to see if they will bring any bill for April. If they do, I will make a formal complain to NERC. Pls I will like you to keep me posted regarding your email to them. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2019: Plot To Hack INEC Database, Fear Heightens / I’ll Ditch My Husband’s Homeland For South-East If Nigeria Splits: Onyeka Onwenu / FG Records N7.34tn Fiscal Deficit In 11 Months – CBN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.