Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,343 members, 7,819,205 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:44 PM

Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife (156686 Views)

Catriona Laing Visits Ooni Of Ife [photo] / Governor Obiano Visits Ooni Of Ife And Wife, Wishes Them A Successful Marriage / Larry Ekundayo Visits Ooni Of Ife And Kneels Before Him (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (123) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Nobody: 12:44pm On Apr 29, 2018
First of all the Oba of Benin is not a yoruba. I know you yoruba have hearing problems but you can't force people into becoming yoruba. It doesn't work like this.
Second of all: did the ooni of ife or alafin of oyo fight against the british ?
No, the alafin of oyo gave up without a fight and welcomed the british as liberators.
The ooni of ife didn't even have an army nor a palace, he wasn't even considered a king, the british propped him up as a useful servant.

Wealthandjobs:

That was not a visit. It was a ceremony to witness his descendant and subject continue in a tradition that brought Benin traditional system under his dominion. If calling it a visit suits you,it is fine but to see an Ooni leave his palace to visit a Yoruba king is rare. It took the current Ooni breaking the tradition two years ago after almost 70 years to visit the Alaafin of Oyo. The place and the rank of the Oba of Benin in the Yoruba traditional system is even behind the Alaafin of Oyo.
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by macof(m): 12:48pm On Apr 29, 2018
IgbosAreOsus:

Lol!
What a retárd. Just because you were given an opportunity to teach yoruba in one local miserable primary private school and you've read some bullshìts written by some nonentities, you think you're educated. With that ssce certificate grin
Fool.

Says the idiotic fool that doesn't know what Obaship is in Yoruba traditions but wants to talk about the same Obaship

Lmao grin.. Akintoye a professor of history is a nonentity? grin your father is not even fit to clean his shoes. Your father doesn't even have primary school cert. talkless of ssce. Oponu osi
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Nobody: 12:49pm On Apr 29, 2018
First of all the Oba of Benin is not a yoruba king. I know you yoruba have hearing problems but you can't force people into becoming yoruba. It doesn't work like this.
No, the alafin of oyo gave up without a fight and welcomed the british as liberators.
The ooni of ife didn't even have an army nor a palace, he wasn't even considered a king, the british propped him up as a useful servant.
I am just wondering what is yoruba about Benin monarchy: Benin monarchy is inherited by the first son of the King like in all real kingdoms all over the world, whereas your ooni of ife is elected by your politicians. I am just wondering if you are actually aware that your ooni's father is still alive and was never ooni, so is the father of your ooni the descendent of your ooni ?
Even your crazy ooni would never dare call the Oba of Benin his "descendent and subject".
I have talked to crazy people enough for today.

Wealthandjobs:

That was not a visit. It was a ceremony to witness his descendant and subject continue in a tradition that brought Benin traditional system under his dominion. If calling it a visit suits you,it is fine but to see an Ooni leave his palace to visit a Yoruba king is rare. It took the current Ooni breaking the tradition two years ago after almost 70 years to visit the Alaafin of Oyo. The place and the rank of the Oba of Benin in the Yoruba traditional system is even behind the Alaafin of Oyo.
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Macdav(m): 12:58pm On Apr 29, 2018
Oba torpeh!! Eseh!!!
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Nobody: 1:00pm On Apr 29, 2018
Wealthandjobs:

That was not a visit.
So it is now a given that you can say anything. When contradicted by evidence you still deny, well carry on to your mental assylum. Almost every traditional ruler in nigeria was at that ceremony, so I guess that in your crazy mind the Oba of Benin is the "descendant and subject" of every traditional ruler in nigeria. And also the monarch of england is the "descnedant and subject" of every noble man who came to her corronation. Yoruba logics, seen nowhere else in this world.
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by macof(m): 1:34pm On Apr 29, 2018
IgbosAreOsus:

Lol
Says the miserable Osun bastard boy.
Your father is not even fit to be my gardener.
Ọ́dẹ́
oh shut the hell up you fool and get off my mentions. Go deal with your messed up life and don't bring your frustration here. It's not my fault your father never taught you anything. Insane slowpoke
I've marked your moniker as another madman on nairaland
It is infact very obvious that you are truly mad, what kind of stupid moniker is that? Useless troll, your only aim on this forum is to attack. Wasted life. Get off my mentions omo osi

2 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Olu317(m): 1:51pm On Apr 29, 2018
Saladin25:

Common, am also a Yoruba person, but am a Nigerian first ahead of any ethnic/religion. Using that derogatory statement isn't okay. After I did all my findings about the origin of Oduduwa I realised, the Benin account is somehow right. If Oduduwa never came from Benin, the Chiefs of Benin wouldn't have picked Oranmiyan to come and become King after the Ogiso dynasty came to an end.
Just imaging this opinion from you,who had no known knowledge of Odudua yet you chose to follow a liars opinion. I pray for you not to be a victim of swindler (s) oooooo by God's grace . But wait up! Are you truly Yoruba? If you are,then it is no big deal if you dont know much Odudua but seek from the correct source. There is absolutely nothing right about Edo account. If you are interested in learning about Odudua. First, find out his lineage at ILE IFE. Secondly, find out if there is difference in ancestral method of worshipping God between Odudua has nothing in comparison with Edo's claim. Thirdly, why is Odudua adhere to white usage of clothing? Oooh ,you think Ooni Ogunwusi loved white or it is attached to Obatala? Am sorry for you if you allow fairy tales informants to sweep you off your feet. Edos account are filled with bunch of lies without proof. Please HELP us thank God because Oranmiyan was buried at ILE IFE ,otherwise, their LIES would have looked so REAL.
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Moorish: 1:53pm On Apr 29, 2018
macof:
i respect bini too. It was a kingdom all Africans should be proud of but these people of today are hateful and disrespectful for a people of such insignificant landmass and population
They have no place in a greater Africa of tomorrow with attitude like this. Their hatred towards Yorubas especially and all other Africans in general is disgusting
They are ignorant, boastful, rude, dishonest

I stand by it, when provoked these people should gain no mercy. Yorubas have treated them as brothers for too long

I used to be a lurker for years here. I recognize your name

See, there is no human on earth that you will show respect that won’t reciprocate

I have lived in different places in naija. We need to travel more and stop stereotyping

Imagine the diversity of naija if we harness it
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Wealthandjobs: 2:03pm On Apr 29, 2018
prolog2:
First of all the Oba of Benin is not a yoruba king. I know you yoruba have hearing problems but you can't force people into becoming yoruba. It doesn't work like this.
I am just wondering what is yoruba about Benin monarchy: Benin monarchy is inherited by the first son of the King like in real kingdoms all over the world, whereas your ooni of ife is elected by your politicians. I am just wondering if you are actually aware that your ooni's father is still alive and was never ooni, so is the father of your ooni the descendent of your ooni ?
Even your crazy ooni would never dare call the Oba of Benin his "descendent and subject".
I have talked to crazy people enough for today.

Sincerely your opinion doesn't matter sir. The wise Yoruba men of yore were very smart. The Benin royalty is Yoruba. Their insistence that the heads of their departed sons who became Oba of Benin after Oranmiyan be buried in Ile Ife was a masterstroke.
They were the men who saw tomorrow and beat you all to it. The rest of the Benin including you especially if you are from the Benin but not the royal family may not be Yoruba but the Benin Royalty is Yoruba.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Olu317(m): 2:07pm On Apr 29, 2018
prolog2:
So it is now a given that you can say anything. When contradicted by evidence you still deny, well carry on to your mental assylum. Almost every traditional ruler in nigeria was at that ceremony, so I guess that in your crazy mind the Oba of Benin is the "descendant and subject" of every traditional ruler in nigeria. And also the monarch of england is the "descnedant and subject" of every noble man who came to her corronation. Yoruba logics, seen nowhere else in this world.
You seem to have a problem and truth is as a shiny star. Oba Erediuwa came to ILE IFE over 37 years ago to looked at his ancestors heads buried in ILE IFE ,where their heads were buried,who the hell are you to infer opinion based on EMOTION?. As at Saturday ,Oba Bini still went to ILE IFE to bow down to his Ancestor throne . So what business of yours is it? Have you not seen or read what he Oba Ewuare said? Get off hate and pay homage to Yorubas.
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Wealthandjobs: 2:08pm On Apr 29, 2018
Olu317:
Just imaging this opinion from you,who had no known knowledge of Odudua yet you chose to follow a liars opinion. I pray for you not to be a victim of swindler (s) oooooo by God's grace . But wait up! Are you truly Yoruba? If you are,then it is no big deal if you dont know much Odudua but seek from the correct source. There is absolutely nothing right about Edo account. If you are interested in learning about Odudua. First, find out his lineage at ILE IFE. Secondly, find out if there is difference in ancestral method of worshipping God between Odudua has nothing in comparison with Edo's claim. Thirdly, why is Odudua adhere to white usage of clothing? Oooh ,you think Ooni Ogunwusi loved white or it is attached to Obatala? Am sorry for you if you allow fairy tales informants to sweep you off your feet. Edos account are filled with bunch of lies without proof. Please HELP us thank God because Oranmiyan was buried at ILE IFE ,otherwise, their LIES would have looked so REAL.
Don't mind him. He is not a Yoruba if he doesn't know that the heads of departed Oba of Benin are buried in Ile Ife

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Moorish: 2:09pm On Apr 29, 2018
shizzle1:
nigeria isn't united and can never be. Stop the self deceit

I did not say we are united. I only fantasize and dream of it

It’s a force that will be reckoned with

Mutual respect and development
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by shizzle1: 2:23pm On Apr 29, 2018
Moorish:

I did not say we are united. I only fantasize and dream of it

It’s a force that will be reckoned with

Mutual respect and development
you can't be preaching unity by merely fantcising about it, who fantasy epp?

Listen my friend, the only way there can be anything close to unity is to promote and entrench justice, equity and fairness, this is the only pre-condition to unity. Anything less is hogwash and a total waste of time Or at best will remain a fantasy.. ..Cheers
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Moorish: 2:23pm On Apr 29, 2018
zeni7:
Kings visit kings
Politicians visit politicians
Celebrities visit celebrities
Rich visit rich

The southern youths most especially keep fighting over supremacy of universities, football clubs, celebrities, secret cults, religion believes, ethnicity and so on. No wonder Buhari said they are lazy and jobless.

The old men are strengthening their friendship and the southern youths are planing of how they will bomb themselves. They claim to be the leaders of tomorrow but my question is that Will the youth ever get it right?

Sometin is wrong in southern Nigeria, mayb that is y the north keeps ruling.

True words brother

I claim all the Nigerian cultures as my own

There is always something the other tribe does better

No one is supreme, cmon bros
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Born2Breed(f): 2:24pm On Apr 29, 2018
macof:
o pls either you are intentionally lying or you are just ignorant. it is ego and vain pride that made bini go out of the old western region. provide the official reports to support this your claim that the major resources were coming from Bendel area?

mid-west region was created in 1963, 3 years after independence, in what way did Yorubas or the Western region government extort from your region? Ok now after over 50 years of being away from the 'bad evil' western region, what development has Edo state obtained? is Benin city now a paradise?
Use your head please

Yorubas have done nothing against you folk

P.S when did Japan ever dominate China
and italy over europe stop talking through your ass

I've always known you are not just dumb but intellectually lazy.

With that last paragraph of yours? I give up on you!

So run along now kid.

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Sagay212: 2:24pm On Apr 29, 2018
I knew this would cause a lot of problem fro some stup.id people. How does the existence of any oba at all affect your lives. IS any oba feeding anybody? Are you not an oba in your own house? the same obas that are getting free salaries from the government. some people just like to fight over useless issues. Instead of you people to be thinking of how buhari will be kicked out by all means possible in 2019, you are arguing about obas who don't know you exist.
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Nobody: 2:33pm On Apr 29, 2018
Saladin25:

Well, You are entitled to your opinion, but where I have issue with Yoruba account is;

1. Yoruba claimed that Oduduwa fell from sky, some said he came from Mecca and while some came into conclusion that he is from Egypt. But let us look at these accounts does it makes sense. How could one fall from the sky? He came all the way from Egypt/Mecca, do you know how many cities and towns one would pass through before getting to Ile-Ife. All these account are ruse to me.

2. As for all Yorubas kings/queens are appointed in Ile-Ife that is a fallacy. Oba Sikiru Adetona and many Ijebu indigenous people have refuted this claim that not all Yoruba people came from Ife. The Ijebus came from Sudan, the Olugbo of Ugbo, Oba Akinruntan (aka Obat) said Ugbos never originated from Ile-ife. Ugbo people were always terrorizing the people of Ile-ife before Moremi Ajansoro used her deceit to conquer them.
https://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2010/06/25/ijebus-are-from-sudan-awujale-insists/

3. As I have stated before in one of my comments, Benin fought wars with the Yoruba, Owo was at war with Benin but were never conquered. Eko(was a war camp) for the Benin warriors, which the Awori, the indigenous people of Lagos Island always pay tribute to the Oba of Benin.
Even Alafin Abiodun sought the help of Oba of Benin when Fulani were threat to the Oyo kingdom.

1. What you are quoting is Oyo’s history of Oduduwa. In as much as many Yoruba may identify with him, Oduduwa was and remains Ife’s business. He never lived anywhere else outside Ife, why Oyo of 14th century and everyone wants to draw up narratives about the man is quite disgusting. To the Ife people, Oduduwa lived among them and belonged to one of the communities in Ife. To Ife, he was an opportunist and usurper. A good number of compounds in Ife do not identify as ‘omo Oduduwa’. Oduduwa early history is IFE HISTORY not Yoruba’s history, please differentiate this.

2. Adetona is a revisionist. In Samuel Johnson, the old Ijebu king said an entirely different thing. Till today there is a compound in Ife from where Ijebu Ijesa from which Ijebu Ode & Ijebu Igbo progenitors emigrated. Ijebu Ijesa shares a lot of History & intense similarities with Ijebu Ode/Igbo - socially, culturally & politically. I will attach a picture of the recorded words of Awujale, his Balogun & the people of Ijebu in the 17th/18th century.

3. Awori never paid tributes to Olubini. Only the Eko king did. Awori had their own ruler in Olotto. The Awori let the Bini whom the Yoruba generally regard as ‘cousins’ (a stupid mistake people make till today) do their thing while they carried on with their own stuff too. Eleko’s relevance stemmed from having the first contact with the Europeans given his locale; the same situation with Alaafin & Ooni; Olugbo & Amapetu etc.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by davidnazee: 2:34pm On Apr 29, 2018
ariesbull:
THE ASSAULT

At 3 a.m. on Wednesday, August 9, 1967, the fourth anniversary of the democratic creation of the Midwestern region, a motorized rifle brigade consisting of 3000 Biafran soldiers and militiamen, under the command of Lt. Col. ["Brigadier"] Victor Banjo, crossed the Niger Bridge at Onitsha into Asaba. The Biafran Invasion of the Midwest had begun. Transported in over 100 trucks and civilian vehicles, this was the nucleus of what eventually was planned to be designated the "101stdivision", also known as the "Liberation Army of Nigeria" or the "Midwest Expeditionary Force". Upon arrival in the Midwest, they split up into three spearheads, destined to peal off from one another at Agbor. Units fired indiscriminately into the air as they arrived unchallenged at successive tactical objectives. The seizure of the Midwest was essentially accomplished within 12 hours (8, 9, 13, 14).

The 101st HQ group included Major ('Lt. Col.') Emmanuel Ifeajuna as Chief of Staff and Captain ("Major"wink Joe Isichie as QuarterMaster General. Much later in the campaign, Lt. ("Major"wink Fola Oyewole (upon release from prison in Enugu, where he (and Adeleke) had been detained for the January 15 coup) became Isichie's deputy (16).

The 12th Battalion, under Lt. Col. Festus Akagha, made a dash for Benin City, [the capital]. The 18th battalion under Major Humphrey Chukwuka, headed for Warri, [in the oilrich delta] with Sapele and Ughelli as secondary objectives. The 13thbattalion under Lt. Col. Mike Ivenso, swung northwards toward Auchi, with Agenebode (across the Niger from Idah, in Benue State), and Okene (in then Kwara state) as secondary objectives. A detachment was to head for Jebba to destroy the Niger Bridge at that location (8, 9).

Unknown to Banjo, a unit led by Lt. Col. Ochei (a Midwest Ibo officer), specifically attacked the Government house in Benin, ostensibly ordered by Ojukwu to capture the governor, Lt. Col. Ejoor dead or alive (13). Fortuitously, Major Ogbemudia (then quarter-master-general) had changed the guard detail at the Government House during the night (14). Therefore, the soldiers on duty, not being part of the plot to hand-over the state resisted. Ejoor escaped, separated from the rest of his family. Other than some fighting in the Siluko area, this was the only resistance the "Liberation Army" had to face in its initial phase of operations.
http://www.dawodu.net/midwest.htm

We would do it again if there is a need because you are the tiniest minority of the south! Ijaw is bigger , Urhobo Isoko is bigger but you Benin are the tiniest and a walk over for anyone even ijaw people....they have taken Gelegele..come and take it naaa

Ozuoor toota

See this idiot. Just as you are celebrating your biafran invasion of Midwest are you also mourning the massacres of your invading soldiers by local civilian resistance that arise? Local indigenes began to rebel against the biafran soldiers killing many of them so by the time Nigerian army arrived Benin City most biafran soldiers were dead and the rest fled.

Fools.
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Moorish: 2:34pm On Apr 29, 2018
shizzle1:
you can't be preaching unity by merely fantcising about it, who fantasy epp?

Listen my friend, the only way there can be anything close to unity is to promote and entrench justice, equity and fairness, this is the only pre-condition to unity. Anything less is hogwash and a total waste of time Or at best will remain a fantasy.. ..Cheers
I don’t disagree

But some of the rhetoric we spew here online doesn’t help matters

I laugh at the jokes oh, even the funny jokes about my tribe, I enjoy the laughs

But in the real world/life, I am proud of all our collective hostories.
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Olu317(m): 2:36pm On Apr 29, 2018
OBA EWUARE II OF BINI , ACKNOWLEDGED OONI OGUNWUSI AS SUPERIOR IN SPEECH.
He averred that the visit to Ife was to foster better understanding between the two kingdoms, even as he called for emphasis on what unites the Ife and Benin Kingdoms and prayed in the name of Oranmiyan for long life and prosperity for Ooni of Ife.

"I feel very much at home here, I pray that the spirit of our father Oranmiyan will always be with you as you manage this very sacred throne of Oduduwa very admirably.

Oh yes, I REMEMBER, THAT ILE IFE IS THE PLACE,WHERE THE SACRED THRONE OF ODUDUA IS!
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Moorish: 2:36pm On Apr 29, 2018
Y0ruba:

1. What you are quoting is Oyo’s history of Oduduwa. In as much as many Yoruba may identify with him, Oduduwa was and remains Ife’s business. He never lived anywhere else outside Ife, why Oyo of 14th century and everyone wants to draw up narratives about the man is quite disgusting. To the Ife people, Oduduwa lived among them and belonged to one of the communities in Ife. To Ife, he was an opportunist and usurper. A good number of compounds in Ife do not identify as ‘omo Oduduwa’. Oduduwa early history is IFE HISTORY not Yoruba’s history, please differentiate this.

2. Adetona is a revisionist. In Samuel Johnson, the old Ijebu king said an entirely different thing. Till today there is a compound in Ife from where Ijebu Ijesa from which Ijebu Ode & Ijebu Igbo progenitors emigrated. Ijebu Ijesa shares a lot of History & intense similarities with Ijebu Ode/Igbo - socially, culturally & politically. I will attach a picture of the recorded words of Awujale, his Balogun & the people of Ijebu in the 17th/18th century.

3. Awori never paid tributes to Olubini. Only the Eko king did. Awori had their own ruler in Olotto. The Awori let the Bini whom the Yoruba generally regard as ‘cousins’ (a stupid mistake people make till today) and do their thing while they carried on with their own stuff too. Eleko’s relevance stemmed from having the first contact with the Europeans given his locale; the same situation with Alaafin & Ooni; Olugbo & Amapetu etc.

I can’t but respect your wealth of knowledge

Things I never knew before

Nice one

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by shizzle1: 2:41pm On Apr 29, 2018
Moorish:

I don’t disagree

But some of the rhetoric we spew here online doesn’t help matters

I laugh at the jokes oh, even the funny jokes about my tribe, I enjoy the laughs

But in the real world/life, I am proud of all our collective hostories.
The rhetoric didn't start today it's always been there, just that social media platforms has offered a more viable avenue and emboldened people to unleash the hate

whats your tribe?
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Olu317(m): 2:43pm On Apr 29, 2018
Sagay212:
I knew this would cause a lot of problem fro some stup.id people. How does the existence of any oba at all affect your lives. IS any oba feeding anybody? Are you not an oba in your own house? the same obas that are getting free salaries from the government. some people just like to fight over useless issues. Instead of you people to be thinking of how buhari will be kicked out by all means possible in 2019, you are arguing about obas who don't know you exist.
Haaaaaa so you dont know? It means a lot to some of us because, one of our own generation( descendant) to come can become an Ooni. Mind you,we are hardworking people. This is the reaosn it mean a lot to some of us. And on PMB,ride on dear!
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Moorish: 2:45pm On Apr 29, 2018
shizzle1:
The rhetoric didn't start today it's always been there, just that social media platforms has offered a more viable avenue and emboldened people to unleash the hate

whats your tribe?
That is true. But a Nigeria where it’s citizens are passionate about their flag and heritage, culture, it gives me a hard on.

We are respected in Africa

My father na ogbomosho man, From oyo state.
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by davidnazee: 2:47pm On Apr 29, 2018
Born2Breed:

The Benin's have always respected the Yoruba's as a cousin. But what did the Benin's get in return? Insult and derogatory reference to the Benin's as omo Igbo.

The old Western region the Bendel axis were insulted and deprived of regional allocations, the major resources the made the western region increase its pace of development was gotten from the Bendel area. Cocoa we contributed 35%%,Timber 50%,Rubber and Palm Oil we contributed more but what did Bendel get? We all saw what the break away of Mid Western region did to the west.

Check this thread,its always the Yorubas that derails it without verifiable claims.

You all talk about size forgetting Japan once ruled over China and Italy over Europe.

Forget the mercy part, when e set believe me you and you co-warmongering crew will be the ones begging for mercy.

Leave them let them continue with their foolish dreams. When the fight start Edo is taking back the old Midwest region.
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by davidnazee: 2:51pm On Apr 29, 2018
Saladin25:
Una never tire with this Yoruba vs Benin discussion. Based on my own research;

1. Oduduwa came from Benin and he met people in Ile-Ife before he became King. Some Kings have existed in Ile-Ife before the reign of oduduwa.

2. Not all Yoruba Kings came from Ile-Ife, the Ijebus and the Ugbos have proved that several times.

3. The Ooni is not the most powerful king in Yoruba land. The Alafin is the most powerful king, during the colonial era there are letters written by Alafin to the British where he presented himself as the number one king in Yoruba land.

4. Aside from Eko(Lagos Island), Benin Kingdom never conquered any part of Yoruba land, even Owo(a town in Ondo state) were always at war with Benin, but Benin kingdom never conquered them.

In conclusion, put this supremacy battle somewhere and let us foster peace and unity just like the way the two kings see themselves as one.

You are wrong on #4.. eastern Yoruba lands were all under Benin control. Ekiti, Owo kingdom, Ondo and Lagos were all under Benin.
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Olu317(m): 2:54pm On Apr 29, 2018
Y0ruba:

3. Awori never paid tributes to Olubini. Only the Eko king did. Awori had their own ruler in Olotto. The Awori let the Bini whom the Yoruba generally regard as ‘cousins’ (a stupid mistake people make till today) and do their thing while they carried on with their own stuff too. Eleko’s relevance stemmed from having the first contact with the Europeans given his locale; the same situation with Alaafin & Ooni; Olugbo & Amapetu etc.

I sight you!

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by shizzle1: 2:58pm On Apr 29, 2018
Moorish:

That is true. But a Nigeria where it’s citizens are passionate about their flag and heritage, culture, it gives me a hard on.

We are respected in Africa

My father na ogbomosho man, From oyo state.
Thats what we all craved for in our innocent and youthful days, but time came when you began to realize they you not really liked it you were been treated a particular way cos you are from a particular tribe or you bear a certain kind of name, then the narrative about the unity and passion began to change

Just before you could finish complaining, God decided to punish us more with an unrepentant , vindictive, illiterate, bigoted and Islamic fundamentalist as a president, whose unfortunate role is to further widen and deepen the division and trust among nigerians

Your mum from where?
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by macof(m): 3:10pm On Apr 29, 2018
Moorish:

I used to be a lurker for years here. I recognize your name

See, there is no human on earth that you will show respect that won’t reciprocate

I have lived in different places in naija. We need to travel more and stop stereotyping

Imagine the diversity of naija if we harness it

Good you know my activities here for years. Im sure I don't come off as a bigot or unexposed ignoramus.

I have good intentions and hope for Africa, I think beyond Nigeria. That is why we need to set things straight, including our history. We cannot continue to treat ourselves as a people without history and tradition - it is from these we know our identity and obtain pride in it.
Re: Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife by Moorish: 3:18pm On Apr 29, 2018
shizzle1:
Thats what we all craved for in our innocent and youthful days, but time came when you began to realize they you not really liked it you were been treated a particular way cos you are from a particular tribe or you bear a certain kind of name, then the narrative about the unity and passion began to change

Just before you could finish complaining, God decided to punish us more with an unrepentant , vindictive, illiterate, bigoted and Islamic fundamentalist as a president, whose unfortunate role is to further widen and deepen the division and trust among nigerians

Your mum from where?

My mum was a poor Muslim Fulani woman with a Yoruba mum

Married my dad, became Christian and got disowned. My dad practically raised her.

Most Nigerian men are unnecessarily egoistic

Buhari is highly bigoted. He widened the divide amongst Nigerians, hardly a unifier

I regret supporting Buhari

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (123) (Reply)

The "REAL" Hausa / Owe Ile Yoruba -some Lovely Yoruba Proverbs And Their Meanings. / Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.