Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,753 members, 7,817,083 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:02 AM

What Is Wrong With Religion? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Wrong With Religion? (2199 Views)

The Problem With Religion, Including Science. / The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion / Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Wrong With Religion? by MOG2009: 1:33am On May 20, 2010
Rev. Myles Monroe said and I quota, "The number one probelm of the world is religion."  I do agree with him because of  my experiences  with some believers of both Islam and Christianity. These people of faith are too attached to their believe just like the traditionalists or other practises and they tends to forget the true foundation of this faith system that is built on "Peace and Love".

Why are we separated by this  self-destructive and unfair biased faith?

Why  Christians cannot marry Muslims ?

Why  are  these tribes  like Edos, Yorubas and Urhobos  sensitive in marrying Igbos, Fulanis or Ijaws?

Where is the "Peace or Love" preached in the churches or mosques? We claimed to serve the same God on Sunday, sing the same hymn, worship and praised in the same place. But yet, our hearts are divided.
What do you think?
Re: What Is Wrong With Religion? by REALTRUTH1: 11:18am On May 20, 2010
Everything is wrong with religion,,,I hate religion in whatever disguise,,,God hates RELIGION,,,,especially the penterascals fellowship of Nigeria(PFN),,,,
Re: What Is Wrong With Religion? by manmustwac(m): 11:26am On May 20, 2010
it is spelt urhobo not irhobo angry
Re: What Is Wrong With Religion? by MOG2009: 1:16pm On May 20, 2010
@ Real truth, thanks for your plain truth. @ Manmustwau spelling noted and your opinion is needed too!
Re: What Is Wrong With Religion? by jydtee007: 1:24pm On May 20, 2010
i wonder why we cant practice what we preach!
we preach peace, yet all we have 2 show 4 it is religious violence all around.
we preach love yet in most household there is no love.
when u can show love 2 ur family how would u express love 2 ur fellow human being that are not ur family member?

something is wrong!

this is unjustified discrimination.

it's high time we start practicing what we preach!
Re: What Is Wrong With Religion? by KunleOshob(m): 1:40pm On May 20, 2010
What is being practised in most instances is false religion, below is how the bible defines religion should be:
True and pure religion in the sight of God the father is to take care of the widows and orphans[needy] in their affliction and to keep one's self uncorrupted from the world. James 1:27
Re: What Is Wrong With Religion? by Joagbaje(m): 4:24pm On May 20, 2010
Somebody once said Christianity is the best among religion. Christianity is not the best religion.God is not in an religion. Christianity is not a religion. Religion is man's search for God. but Christianity is God's way of bringing man to himself. Everything is wrong with religion but Christianity is not one of them.

John 14:6
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
Re: What Is Wrong With Religion? by REALTRUTH1: 4:59pm On May 20, 2010
Joagbaje:

Somebody once said Christianity is the best among religion. Christianity is not the best religion.God is not in an religion. Christianity is not a religion. Religion is man's search for God. but Christianity is God's way of bringing man to himself. Everything is wrong with religion but Christianity is not one of them.
John 14:6
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

I actually believe that Christianity is supposed to be a "RELATIONSHIP" btw men and God,,,but in ur own opinion what is PFN
And pls tell me if the way these people who calls themselves Christains in Nigeria,,,if that is how to practice what Jesus believed,lived for and died for
One of the Ghandi's once said that "she loves Jesus,,Loves the Bible but hates the practioners of christianity"
How sad the only way that shows us the direction to God has been so badly abused,,,
Re: What Is Wrong With Religion? by Nobody: 5:08pm On May 20, 2010
One of the lies Satan wants you to believe is that (Christian) Religion is trash.

Dont buy into it.
Re: What Is Wrong With Religion? by Joagbaje(m): 5:35pm On May 20, 2010
REAL TRUTH:

I actually believe that Christianity is supposed to be a "RELATIONSHIP" btw men and God,,,but in your own opinion what is PFN
And pls tell me if the way these people who calls themselves Christains in Nigeria,,,if that is how to practice what Jesus believed,lived for and died for
One of the Ghandi's once said that "she loves Jesus,,Loves the Bible but hates the practioners of christianity"
How sad the only way that shows us the direction to God has been so badly abused,,,

I agree it is a relationship and it is also a participation in the life of God.
As regards PFN. They have constitutional right to exist and associate. But the power they seek from the Government to use against other churches is umbiblical.

1 Cor. 6:1-6
Dare any of you, having a matter against another, go to law before the unjust, and not before the saints? [2] Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters? [3] Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life? [4] If then ye have judgments of things pertaining to this life, set them to judge who are least esteemed in the church. [5] I speak to your shame. Is it so, that there is not a wise man among you? no, not one that shall be able to judge between his brethren? [6] But brother goeth to law with brother, and that before the unbelievers.
Re: What Is Wrong With Religion? by Mudley313: 9:02pm On May 20, 2010
after wrecklessly plagiarizing other ancient pagan religions n customs, n making an extension of original judaism, the hypocritical christian arrogantly makes the RIDICULOUS claim of not practicing religion but a way of life; the jews think its RIDICULOUS for the christians to believe that a poor carpenter who was humiliated and executed like a common thief was the long awaited messiah; the christians believe its RIDICULOUS for the jews to still be awaiting the messiah who christians believe has already been here 2000 yrs ago and his 2nd coming is expected; the muslims believe its RIDICULOUS to claim a man was a god or that god has a son that is somehow himself and they're 3 gods that are somehow one; the christians believe its RIDICULOUS to believe that some arab peodophile could come, plagiarize the jewish scripture n claim his religion is the one true religion; the protestants believe its RIDICULOUS to pray to god or jesus through Mary who was only human and worship graven images of her; the catholics think its RIDICULOUS for the penterascals to criticize them as false teachings for it was catholics who actually compiled the Bible itself that the penterascals use against them; the christians think its RIDICULOUS for the mormons to believe that some man called joseph smith was visited by angels and given some writings in tablets when they're more ridiculous stories of man seeing the back of god himself in their so-called holy book; the christian think its RIDICULOUS to believe in so-called barbaric and inferior african religions while ignoring all the barbaric acts that litter their bible; the traditionalist believe its RIDICULOUS to believe in the religion of white men who came to loot your land, enslave you and branded you inferior. . .and so on and so forth. The rationalist just believe all these contradictory beliefs are all RIDICULOUS

Re: What Is Wrong With Religion? by MOG2009: 9:41pm On May 20, 2010
I think religion is more of a tradition and the ideal practise is lost . It just troubled my spirit, when Christians don't show love to one another and they claim to love God. I wonder which God? Inside Christianity, RCCG refused to share the word with Jehovah Witness. Cele is against C&S. Anglican is after Roman Catholic members. This kind of practise can only be found among tribes and natives in the name of culture. Why is Christianity or Islam engaging in this outdated trend?
Re: What Is Wrong With Religion? by Jenwitemi(m): 2:38pm On May 21, 2010
MOG2009:

It just troubled my spirit, when Christians don't show love to one another and they claim to love God. I wonder which God?
Do not trouble your spirit needlessly. How can you expect them show love either to themselves or to God when they do not know what love is? It is like beggars begging from each other.

MOG2009:

Inside Christianity, RCCG  refused to share the word with Jehovah Witness. Cele is against C&S.  Anglican is after Roman Catholic members. This kind of practise can only be found among tribes and natives  in the name of culture.
That is the result of the divisive nature of religions, especially, the henotheistic ones like christianity and islam. Tribes and natives are even more tolerant than these religions.

MOG2009:

Why is Christianity or Islam engaging in this outdated trend?
Because christianity and islam are both outdated.
Re: What Is Wrong With Religion? by Kay17: 2:50pm On May 21, 2010
the nature of religion is intolerant. Muslims are not to accept Christians, since they are unbelievrers. Christians do not accept atheists, deists, agnostics because they are godless, and incompatible with them as oil and water. How would there be tolerance?! undecided
Re: What Is Wrong With Religion? by MOG2009: 8:21pm On May 21, 2010
@Jenwitemi and Kay17, what should one do with this religions, if they dont practise what they preach? what are we going to leave behind for the next generation, hatred or love? Should abolish relgion in for the sake of the truth?
Re: What Is Wrong With Religion? by Mudley313: 9:02am On May 22, 2010
Imagine No Religion

Re: What Is Wrong With Religion? by mazaje(m): 12:14pm On May 22, 2010
Mudley313:

after wrecklessly plagiarizing other ancient pagan religions n customs, n making an extension of original judaism, the hypocritical christian arrogantly makes the RIDICULOUS claim of not practicing religion but a way of life; the jews think its RIDICULOUS for the christians to believe that a poor carpenter who was humiliated and executed like a common thief was the long awaited messiah; the christians believe its RIDICULOUS for the jews to still be awaiting the messiah who christians believe has already been here 2000 yrs ago and his 2nd coming is expected; the muslims believe its RIDICULOUS to claim a man was a god or that god has a son that is somehow himself and they're 3 gods that are somehow one; the christians believe its RIDICULOUS to believe that some arab peodophile could come, plagiarize the jewish scripture n claim his religion is the one true religion; the protestants believe its RIDICULOUS to pray to god or jesus through Mary who was only human and worship graven images of her; the catholics think its RIDICULOUS for the penterascals to criticize them as false teachings for it was catholics who actually compiled the Bible itself that the penterascals use against them; the christians think its RIDICULOUS for the mormons to believe that some man called joseph smith was visited by angels and given some writings in tablets when they're more ridiculous stories of man seeing the back of god himself in their so-called holy book; the christian think its RIDICULOUS to believe in so-called barbaric and inferior african religions while ignoring all the barbaric acts that litter their bible; the traditionalist believe its RIDICULOUS to believe in the religion of white men who came to loot your land, enslave you and branded you inferior. . .and so on and so forth. The rationalist just believe all these contradictory beliefs are all RIDICULOUS

NICE ONE!!!. . . . grin grin
Re: What Is Wrong With Religion? by benodic: 12:27pm On May 22, 2010
@mudley 313,
i simply loved your post on the different religions and their take of Sh, t. i had the most wonderful laugh of my life.

please keep it coming. i enjoy your humour. although some people may see it otherwise.

it is so unfortunate that instead of bringing peace religion has brought war and instead of bringing love it has brought hatred and divisiveness. and they all still keep talking about going to heaven. which heaven sef? after messing up earth they think that they will be allowed to enter heaven and continue the wars and divisiveness there.

sometimes i wonder what will a christian do if he sees a moslem in heaven or what will a moslem do if he sees a christian in heaven.
Re: What Is Wrong With Religion? by Mudley313: 9:12pm On May 24, 2010
it is so unfortunate that instead of bringing peace religion has brought war and instead of bringing love it has brought hatred and divisiveness.

even google cannot but agree with you

Re: What Is Wrong With Religion? by Nobody: 9:43pm On May 24, 2010
Mudley313:

even google cannot but agree with you

what is most stupid with your "google" example is that google results are simply based on volume of traffic. So if way more people are googling "problems caused by religion" (mostly trolls who can only survive a debate by using google and those who are desperate to look for material to disparage religion) then that's what google spits out for you. Google is simply garbage out garbage in.
Re: What Is Wrong With Religion? by manmustwac(m): 9:57pm On May 24, 2010
@mudley313
i nearly fell off my chair with laughter grin grin
Re: What Is Wrong With Religion? by MOG2009: 10:15pm On May 24, 2010
So, what next? Should we create our own version of christianity or islam ? ?
Re: What Is Wrong With Religion? by Purist(m): 10:58pm On May 24, 2010
Yeah, the marriage part really baffles me too. Christianity in particular claims to preach love, aims to make its adherents Christ-like, but right in its sacred texts, it blatantly forbids a union with those of other faiths - unbelievers they're called - even if they're a Mahatma Ghandi or a Mary Slessor. I find this wholly hypocritical.
Re: What Is Wrong With Religion? by Jenwitemi(m): 12:26am On May 25, 2010
MOG2009:

@Jenwitemi and Kay17, what should one do with this religions, if they dont practise what they preach? what are we going to leave behind for the next generation, hatred or love? Should abolish relgion in for the sake of the truth?

MOG2009:

So, what next? Should we  create our  own version of christianity or islam ? ?
Haven't we done that already? Where did it lead us? What did it do for us? Instead of creating religions all over the place, we should clean ourselves inside because that is where we are very dirty and messed up. We have to work on the inner republic, have it thoroughly quarantined.
Re: What Is Wrong With Religion? by MOG2009: 1:46am On May 25, 2010
Thanks @Jenwitemi. What about our children and children? If they fall in love with a Moslem girl, what next?
Why do we treat other religion like stigma? Why are we so attached and believed that Christianity or Islam is the only way? Meanwhile, our God loved diversity in everything. In Genesis1:1-end, He created in pairs and kinds. However, he saw this creation in pairs and different species good. Can we get it??
Re: What Is Wrong With Religion? by Mudley313: 4:34am On May 25, 2010
what is most silly with your "google" example is that google results are simply based on volume of traffic. So if way more people are googling "problems caused by religion" (mostly trolls who can only survive a debate by using google and those who are desperate to look for material to disparage religion) then that's what google spits out for you. Google is simply garbage out garbage in.

mister man, googles apart, u and i know the devastations in deaths and destruction that religion has caused in the name of serving imaginary gods

Religion has managed to kill an estimate of 2,229,074,100 people.

Atheism has managed to kill an estimate of 95,000,000 people.

Just let those figures sink in a bit. Over 2 billion people are dead as a result of religious wars and actions. That number is about 33.3% of the current human population of Earth.

Now, these results don’t in any way suggest that religion causes people to commit murder, but that the main factor in most of the wars and conflicts in history has been a difference in religious beliefs. Every holy book of every theist religion preaches love and respect for fellow man, there is no way I can debate that. However, every holy book also preaches the destruction of anyone who says otherwise and stands against the words of whichever god it claims is the “correct” one.

* Included in the atheism section, are deaths caused by Pol Pots regime even though there is no evidence that he was an atheist (his regime was harshly anti-religious though), as well as Stalin, who has recently been considered a deist / closet-theist by historians.

Re: What Is Wrong With Religion? by fofiled: 2:43pm On May 25, 2010
@poster
i quite appreciate ur opinion about religion. christian etc but the bottom line is that our minds are playing games with us -- what we think is right or wrong.

maybe our perception is what is holding us in the wrong , both athiest, christian etc

could our minds be playing games on what is real? are you sure u r right? just asking
Re: What Is Wrong With Religion? by MOG2009: 12:21am On May 27, 2010
Thanks @Fofiled. You made an interesting point about our minds playing trick on us. Another probelm with religion is too much followers and few leaders. People are been manipulated through ignorance. Imagining a secondary school drop out  advising a masters holder or professor on  same subject in the name of religion.
Infact the way things are going religion will make us lose our culture, true identity  and common sense. What are we passing down to the next generation about our history, if will allow religion to continue to call the shot?
Re: What Is Wrong With Religion? by Jenwitemi(m): 4:59pm On May 27, 2010
MOG2009:

Thanks @Jenwitemi. What about our children and children? If they fall in love with a Moslem girl, what next?
Why do we treat other religion like stigma? Why are we so attached and believed that Christianity or Islam is the only way? Meanwhile, our God loved diversity in everything. In Genesis1:1-end, He created in pairs and kinds. However, he saw this creation in pairs and different species good. Can we get it??

The children of the future are so going to laugh at us for the silliness of our beliefs. The children of tomorrow are not going to be as lowly in their spiritual state of being as we are now, mark my word.
Re: What Is Wrong With Religion? by MOG2009: 10:36pm On May 27, 2010
If they laugh at us. It means we failed them and other generations. I think this whole religion thing is more of ignorance than spiritual. We are quick to draw lines and quote scriptures to support our point from personal opinion. If the former religion is not meeting the needs of the presence generation, let's redefine it or modernized it, what do you think?
Re: What Is Wrong With Religion? by Mudley313: 3:34am On May 28, 2010
If they laugh at us. It means we failed them and other generations. I think this whole religion thing is more of ignorance than spiritual. We are quick to draw lines and quote scriptures to support our point from personal opinion. If the former religion is not meeting the needs of the presence generation, let's redefine it or modernized it, what do you think?

we dont need the belief in imaginary friends to make us sleep well at night. point, blank, period.
Re: What Is Wrong With Religion? by MOG2009: 8:25pm On May 28, 2010
@Mudley313, what exactly do you mean?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Do You Pay Your Tithe To? / Yoruba Christians, How Do You Deal With Lies And Misconceptions In Yoruba Bible? / Christmas is idolatrous by event and history!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.