Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,928 members, 7,956,483 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 12:43 PM

Forget Sentiments NO Nigerian Is More Qualified Than Tony Blair's Wife. - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Forget Sentiments NO Nigerian Is More Qualified Than Tony Blair's Wife. (24548 Views)

Tony Elumelu: The Sales Boy Turned Billionaire / Dangote Cement Appoints Cherie Blair, Tony Blair’s Wife As Director / Tony Ogah Gives N1m To Kogi Civil Servant Who Resigned (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Forget Sentiments NO Nigerian Is More Qualified Than Tony Blair's Wife. by AK481(m): 7:29am On May 04, 2018
ArchiPelago1:

Sorry pls go and read about Professor Akin Oyebode

A lecturer of law?

This one no serious o

1 Like

Re: Forget Sentiments NO Nigerian Is More Qualified Than Tony Blair's Wife. by Nobody: 7:30am On May 04, 2018
datola:
There are so many Nigerians with better profile.
Name only 5 of them.

3 Likes

Re: Forget Sentiments NO Nigerian Is More Qualified Than Tony Blair's Wife. by Memyselfu2009(m): 7:31am On May 04, 2018
Am over qualified than her
Re: Forget Sentiments NO Nigerian Is More Qualified Than Tony Blair's Wife. by Alexbond(m): 7:32am On May 04, 2018
Dangote wants to enlisted on London Stock Exchange. Dangote wants to go global. That's all! Her post is non executive director so, her reputation and connection are the essentials needed for Dangote business here.

2 Likes

Re: Forget Sentiments NO Nigerian Is More Qualified Than Tony Blair's Wife. by kalu61(m): 7:32am On May 04, 2018
KingOfAmebo:
Ealier today I read a post that the Board of Dangote Cement Plc, global, announced the appointment of Cherie Blair and Mick Davies as Independent Non-Executive Directors.

https://www.nairaland.com/4485453/dangote-cement-appoints-cherie-blair

Typical of Nigerians, some are quick to rant about this appointment and asked if "there is no Nigerian more qualified for the job"

I repeat... forget sentiments, this woman is well qualified for the job. Aliko Dangote is NOT a politician but a business man. Read through Cherie Blair's profile but this time slowly and tell me which Nigerian is more qualified.

Cherie Blair CBE, QC is a leading barrister with over 35 years’ experience in arbitration, mediation, public international law, human rights, employment law and European Community law. She studied law at the London School of Economics (LSE) and graduated with a First Class Degree in 1975. While studying for her Bar examinations she also taught Law at the University of Westminster. Cherie came top of her year in her Bar examinations and was called to the Bar in 1976. She was appointed Queen’s Counsel (QC) in 1995.

In 2000, shortly before the implementation of the Human Rights Act, Cherie and 21 other prominent Barristers set up a ground breaking legal practice, Matrix Chambers. She has also argued cases in the House of Lords, one of the most well-known being the Begum case. She is an accredited Advanced Mediator under the ADR Chambers/Harvard Law Project and an Elite Mediator with Clerksroom.

Cherie Blair, has appeared in the European Court of Justice and in multiple Commonwealth jurisdictions and also lectures internationally. She is the Chancellor Emeritus and Honorary Fellow of Liverpool John Moores University; Governor Emeritus and Honorary Fellow of the LSE and the Open University (D.Univ.Open 1999); LLD (Hons), University of Liverpool (2003); Hon.D.Lit UMIST (2003); Doctor of Laws (Westminster University).

Cherie Blair is the Founder and Chair of Omnia Strategy where she focuses on strategic international legal and advisory work and practices as a barrister, representing over 30 governments as well as numerous multinational corporations in international disputes.

In 2012, she was designated to serve on the ICSID panel of arbitrators and is a panellist at the Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration. She continues to work independently, primarily as an arbitrator and mediator

Cherie is closely involved with various charities and is a strong advocate for women’s rights. She is the founder of the Cherie Blair Foundation for Women, which runs programmes to support women entrepreneurs across the developing world, including Africa. She is also Vice Chair of the International Council on Women’s Business Leadership founded by Secretary Hillary Clinton.

Cherie sits as an Honorary Chair of the World Justice Project. In 2007, she received the Eleanor Roosevelt Val-Kill medal in recognition of her high ideals and courageous actions.

In 2013, she was awarded the CBE in the New Year Honours for her services to women’s issues and to charity in the UK and overseas.

Cherie is also an active campaigner for prison reform and was ‘President of The Commission on English Prisons Today’ between 2007 and 2009, under the auspices of the Howard League for Penal Reform.

She is an adviser to “B Team,” a not-for-profit initiative formed by a global group of leaders, to be a driving force for social, environmental and economic benefit. She is wife of former British Prime Minister Tony Blair.

NB. I dont work for Aliko Dangote and he is not my Uncle. I am a Nigerian and it hurts that we dont have people to match someone like her career wise, at least presently.
Why wouldn't she work to cover her husband's business and political undoings
Re: Forget Sentiments NO Nigerian Is More Qualified Than Tony Blair's Wife. by Awoo88: 7:32am On May 04, 2018
The appointment has nothing to do with qualifications but rather the influence and good will she will be bringing. Dangote needs a favor somewhere and and her influence will do it. No Nigeria is more qualified is a type of moronic statement buharists will make

5 Likes

Re: Forget Sentiments NO Nigerian Is More Qualified Than Tony Blair's Wife. by oscarwestcoast: 7:37am On May 04, 2018
Go and check what % of Dangotes' top management are. Nigerians.Nigerian managed his firm to stardom. Don't come here to use performance in the public sector to generalize.
EarthXmetahuman:
Dngote is a smart business.

Who wants to employ nigerian to run your company down like they did with etisalat, hitv etc.

Nigerians want everything based on sentiment, not qualification.
That's why we have farmer, running sport or mallam running communication ministry. Or lawyer running power.

If dangote has been doing things, nigerian style, his companies would have been ridden with corruption and dead long ago.
Re: Forget Sentiments NO Nigerian Is More Qualified Than Tony Blair's Wife. by stevejomo(m): 7:37am On May 04, 2018
Fesomu:
The only department headed by a Nigerian at nipco is Human Resources and that's the only department with corrupt practices. All other departments are headed by an Indian. It seems there's just something pathologically wrong with Nigerians when it comes to honesty

no insults but I think you are an idiot.
you are either ignorant or you choose to turn a blind eye on the activities of those indians

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Forget Sentiments NO Nigerian Is More Qualified Than Tony Blair's Wife. by ddjay: 7:40am On May 04, 2018
KingOfAmebo:

Na Wa for you o,u av interviewed all the Nigerians in the world abi, anyway, I understand your hustle, the woman go bless the hustle well well for you.
Re: Forget Sentiments NO Nigerian Is More Qualified Than Tony Blair's Wife. by EarthXmetahuman: 7:41am On May 04, 2018
oscarwestcoast:
Go and check what % of Dangotes' top management are. Nigerians.Nigerian managed his firm to stardom. Don't come here to use performance in the public sector to generalize.
yeah.. Qualified Nigerians.

Didn't say all Nigerians are not qualified.
Re: Forget Sentiments NO Nigerian Is More Qualified Than Tony Blair's Wife. by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 7:42am On May 04, 2018
The OP is the one being sentimental because he doesn't understand why Cherie Blair is on Dangotes board. It has nothing to do with her qualifications.

2 Likes

Re: Forget Sentiments NO Nigerian Is More Qualified Than Tony Blair's Wife. by olasaad(f): 7:45am On May 04, 2018
oscarwestcoast:
Just say she is qualified and we will be fine. But telling me no Nigerian is as qualified as Chery doesn't make Sense. No nobel Laurette, first degree from London college of economics that was a mere polytechnic in 1975, never served in a board of business conglomerate like Dangote group and you tell me a nation of 180m people does not have her kind. Haba! Are you a Ghanian? Go and google the profile of Chukwuma Soludo, Okonjo Iweala, Sanusi lamido Sanusi, even Dankwombo and Peter Obi have handled tougher task than this your world class champion. Don't because she is a Briton , studied And worked there, earned her awards there, then that will make her superior to all Nigerians.

Lol
Re: Forget Sentiments NO Nigerian Is More Qualified Than Tony Blair's Wife. by BafanaBafana: 7:55am On May 04, 2018
Pavore9:

Which kain master? Uno see CV? Abi you even skip where it reads " practices as a barrister, representing over 30 governments as well as numerous multinational corporations in international disputes"

Dangote is tapping from her influence!
Dangote is still her boss. She works for him.
Re: Forget Sentiments NO Nigerian Is More Qualified Than Tony Blair's Wife. by Nobody: 7:56am On May 04, 2018
Fesomu:
The only department headed by a Nigerian at nipco is Human Resources and that's the only department with corrupt practices. All other departments are headed by an Indian. It seems there's just something pathologically wrong with Nigerians when it comes to honesty
Through the ages, the African appears to have evolved no organised religious creed, and though some tribes appear to believe in a deity, the religious sense seldom rises above pantheistic animalism and seems more often to take the form of a vague dread of the supernatural. He lacks the power of organisation, and is conspicuously deficient in the management and control alike of men or business. He loves the display of power, but fails to realize its responsibility - he will work hard with a less incentive than most races. He has the courage of the fighting animal, an instinct rather than a moral virtue. In brief, the virtues and defects of his race -type are those of attractive children, whose confidence when it is won is given ungrudgingly as to an older and wiser superior and without envy. Perhaps, the two traits which have impressed me as those most characteristic of the African native are his lack of apprehension and his lack of ability to visualize the future" lord lugard

1 Like

Re: Forget Sentiments NO Nigerian Is More Qualified Than Tony Blair's Wife. by mattmobis(m): 7:58am On May 04, 2018
That is not how it works. She isn't his employee, she is now a consultant because of her Independence and Non-Executive position.
The woman is a genuis.
But despite all her qualifications and experience, Dangote who just managed to get one degree is her master now and signs her paycheck at the end of the month. [/quote]

2 Likes

Re: Forget Sentiments NO Nigerian Is More Qualified Than Tony Blair's Wife. by Nobody: 8:01am On May 04, 2018
KingOfAmebo:
Ealier today I read a post that the Board of Dangote Cement Plc, global, announced the appointment of Cherie Blair and Mick Davies as Independent Non-Executive Directors.

Typical of Nigerians, some are quick to rant about this appointment and asked if "there is no Nigerian more qualified for the job"

I repeat... forget sentiments, this woman is well qualified for the job. Aliko Dangote is NOT a politician but a business man. Read through Cherie Blair's profile but this time slowly and tell me which Nigerian is more qualified.

Cherie Blair CBE, QC is a leading barrister with over 35 years’ experience in arbitration, mediation, public international law, human rights, employment law and European Community law. She studied law at the London School of Economics (LSE) and graduated with a First Class Degree in 1975. While studying for her Bar examinations she also taught Law at the University of Westminster. Cherie came top of her year in her Bar examinations and was called to the Bar in 1976. She was appointed Queen’s Counsel (QC) in 1995.

In 2000, shortly before the implementation of the Human Rights Act, Cherie and 21 other prominent Barristers set up a ground breaking legal practice, Matrix Chambers. She has also argued cases in the House of Lords, one of the most well-known being the Begum case. She is an accredited Advanced Mediator under the ADR Chambers/Harvard Law Project and an Elite Mediator with Clerksroom.

Cherie Blair, has appeared in the European Court of Justice and in multiple Commonwealth jurisdictions and also lectures internationally. She is the Chancellor Emeritus and Honorary Fellow of Liverpool John Moores University; Governor Emeritus and Honorary Fellow of the LSE and the Open University (D.Univ.Open 1999); LLD (Hons), University of Liverpool (2003); Hon.D.Lit UMIST (2003); Doctor of Laws (Westminster University).

Cherie Blair is the Founder and Chair of Omnia Strategy where she focuses on strategic international legal and advisory work and practices as a barrister, representing over 30 governments as well as numerous multinational corporations in international disputes.

In 2012, she was designated to serve on the ICSID panel of arbitrators and is a panellist at the Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration. She continues to work independently, primarily as an arbitrator and mediator

Cherie is closely involved with various charities and is a strong advocate for women’s rights. She is the founder of the Cherie Blair Foundation for Women, which runs programmes to support women entrepreneurs across the developing world, including Africa. She is also Vice Chair of the International Council on Women’s Business Leadership founded by Secretary Hillary Clinton.

Cherie sits as an Honorary Chair of the World Justice Project. In 2007, she received the Eleanor Roosevelt Val-Kill medal in recognition of her high ideals and courageous actions.

In 2013, she was awarded the CBE in the New Year Honours for her services to women’s issues and to charity in the UK and overseas.

Cherie is also an active campaigner for prison reform and was ‘President of The Commission on English Prisons Today’ between 2007 and 2009, under the auspices of the Howard League for Penal Reform.

She is an adviser to “B Team,” a not-for-profit initiative formed by a global group of leaders, to be a driving force for social, environmental and economic benefit. She is wife of former British Prime Minister Tony Blair.

NB. I dont work for Aliko Dangote and he is not my Uncle. I am a Nigerian and it hurts that we dont have people to match someone like her career wise, at least presently.

You can say she's qualified for the job, but don't say no Nigerian is more qualified. That's an insult.
Re: Forget Sentiments NO Nigerian Is More Qualified Than Tony Blair's Wife. by AgentGoat: 8:02am On May 04, 2018
I am not one of those that criticised her appointment because it doesn't concern my life. The CV up there is a normal CV to me. Nothing intimidating. And let me tell you that there are many Nigerian with that kind CV and same working experience. It's only baba dangote that knows why he employed the woman.

3 Likes

Re: Forget Sentiments NO Nigerian Is More Qualified Than Tony Blair's Wife. by idris4eva(m): 8:02am On May 04, 2018
ArchiPelago1:

man has qualifications
Just took my time.to read his CV

1 Like

Re: Forget Sentiments NO Nigerian Is More Qualified Than Tony Blair's Wife. by godG: 8:05am On May 04, 2018
This OP is a learner sha. Well, you are entitled to your opinion, and opinions cannot be wrong. However, saying NO NIGERIAN is more qualified is a joke taken too far. You need to leave Nigeria (if you haven't) to see the awesome things Nigerians are doing. The CV of this woman will look like a blurb when placed side-by-side with that of certain Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Forget Sentiments NO Nigerian Is More Qualified Than Tony Blair's Wife. by thirdeye(m): 8:09am On May 04, 2018
No Nigerian is more qualified? that is too myopic.
Re: Forget Sentiments NO Nigerian Is More Qualified Than Tony Blair's Wife. by Ugosample(m): 8:14am On May 04, 2018
BafanaBafana:
The woman is a genuis.
But despite all her qualifications and experience, Dangote who just managed to get one degree is her master now and signs her paycheck at the end of the month.

not entirely true

she has multiple streams of income
Re: Forget Sentiments NO Nigerian Is More Qualified Than Tony Blair's Wife. by sekzy99(m): 8:15am On May 04, 2018
LoJ:

A Students always work for C Students while B Students work for the Government. It's the name of a Book by the way.

If_You_Want_to_Be_Rich_Happy_Don_t_Go_to_School by robert kiyosaki
Re: Forget Sentiments NO Nigerian Is More Qualified Than Tony Blair's Wife. by Ugosample(m): 8:15am On May 04, 2018
Fesomu:

Sometimes I think the same

1 Like

Re: Forget Sentiments NO Nigerian Is More Qualified Than Tony Blair's Wife. by thedio(m): 8:17am On May 04, 2018
armadeo:
Am sure there are Nigerians who can meet up there's just a strategic advantage in having her as an employee.

Simple facts
U can google engineer makoju is a Nigeria,he was promoted from that post to CEO
Re: Forget Sentiments NO Nigerian Is More Qualified Than Tony Blair's Wife. by agarawu23(m): 8:18am On May 04, 2018
ArchiPelago1:

oyebode isn't near to her achievements
Re: Forget Sentiments NO Nigerian Is More Qualified Than Tony Blair's Wife. by Afobear: 8:36am On May 04, 2018
Fesomu:
see eh ,my dad worker in the civil service of a state government and got to the top echelon just below a commissioner. He was heading a very lucrative ministry and I haven't seen a more Noble Person than him when it comes to diligence,honesty and accountability. He dished out his duties on a regular but fell out with the administration then because he was against the governor inflation of budget and contracts and this led to his early retirement. Now 7 years later ,he hasn't been paid any of his entitlements when he was in office . When I look at him ,I clearly make up my mind that I won't be in such a position as him where he was opportuned to make almost a billion naira by merely being on the side of the corrupt officials and instead decide to be honest and against corruption . Tomorrow,if I ascend to such a position,the state treasury name will be SORRY.i won't relent to work for corruption unlike my old man who like his dad,my grandpa,believed in honesty
Re: Forget Sentiments NO Nigerian Is More Qualified Than Tony Blair's Wife. by Kobicove(m): 8:41am On May 04, 2018
Fesomu:

The reason why Nigerians are inherently dishonest is because they know they can get away with it...

The best way to stop corruption is to institute very severer and unequivocal punishment for those convicted and anyone who benefits from a corrupt person whether directly or indirectly!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Forget Sentiments NO Nigerian Is More Qualified Than Tony Blair's Wife. by princeadams11: 8:48am On May 04, 2018
KingOfAmebo:

How many Nigerians do you know to say NO Nigerian is better than her.
Re: Forget Sentiments NO Nigerian Is More Qualified Than Tony Blair's Wife. by proffemi: 8:50am On May 04, 2018
Fesomu:

Fatality!
Hot damn.

1 Like

Re: Forget Sentiments NO Nigerian Is More Qualified Than Tony Blair's Wife. by sammirano: 8:53am On May 04, 2018
Dangote is simply looking for means to spend his excess funds.
Re: Forget Sentiments NO Nigerian Is More Qualified Than Tony Blair's Wife. by Misterdhee1(m): 8:54am On May 04, 2018
oscarwestcoast:
Just say she is qualified and we will be fine. But telling me no Nigerian is as qualified as Chery doesn't make Sense. No nobel Laurette, first degree from London college of economics that was a mere polytechnic in 1975, never served in a board of business conglomerate like Dangote group and you tell me a nation of 180m people does not have her kind. Haba! Are you a Ghanian? Go and google the profile of Chukwuma Soludo, Okonjo Iweala, Sanusi lamido Sanusi, even Dankwombo and Peter Obi have handled tougher task than this your world class champion. Don't because she is a Briton , studied And worked there, earned her awards there, then that will make her superior to all Nigerians.
You made valid points but pls aside Okonjo, all the other names you mentioned dont come close to the woman in terms of qualification and experience.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval / Kogi: Screening Committee Discovers Level 13 Medical Officer With School Cert / What Are The The Best 3 Computer Training Centers In Lagos?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.