Stats: 3,152,643 members, 7,816,646 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:28 PM

Codeine: NAFDAC Closed Only One Of Our Production Lines, Emzor Reacts - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Codeine: NAFDAC Closed Only One Of Our Production Lines, Emzor Reacts (16101 Views)

NAFDAC Seals Off Emzor Pharmaceuticals, Others Over Codeine Abuse / BBC: 'Sweet Sweet Codeine' - Nigeria’s Deadly Cough Syrup Epidemic Documentary / Video Of Emzor Sales Rep "Marketing" Codeine To Undercover Reporters From BBC (2) (3) (4)

Re: Codeine: NAFDAC Closed Only One Of Our Production Lines, Emzor Reacts by lonelydora: 8:21am On May 09, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:

Nigerians are fools.
The Nigerian Medical Association are cowards.
Nobody should call me when there is a cough epidemic.

I am not an addict,
I am not a drug abuser and I have never been one.
But I have once relied on a codeine based syrup to cure a terrible cough.

Does the government know just how many people will suffer if this drug is banned?
No one throws the bad baby with the bathwater.

Folks inhale petrol or methylated spirit, does that mean we should also shutdown the refinery?
Shame on Nigeria.

Too much sense wee not kee me sha but will this production line have been shutdown if it was owned by a Musa, Ahmed, Yahaya or a Muhammad?

Dangote trucks have killed more Nigerians yet not one of his factory has been closed.
FRSC would have probably banned the transportation of cement by trucks and road if it was owned by an Easterner.

Don't mind them
Re: Codeine: NAFDAC Closed Only One Of Our Production Lines, Emzor Reacts by firstolalekan(m): 8:21am On May 09, 2018
jmoore:

Why not list them here? Since you have done your research.
I don't dignify ignoramus...

Re: Codeine: NAFDAC Closed Only One Of Our Production Lines, Emzor Reacts by sirusX(m): 8:21am On May 09, 2018
firstolalekan:

That's absolute bullshìt!

There are MANY other very potent antitussives. More potent than codeine and not even addictive. Do your research.
Guy...I have work to do and I won't have time for all that codeine research

I only said "it was stated"....meaning I saw it somewhere being discussed

Re: Codeine: NAFDAC Closed Only One Of Our Production Lines, Emzor Reacts by mfm04622: 8:22am On May 09, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:

Nigerians are fools.

I am not an addict,

Does the government know just how many people will suffer if this drug is banned?

Folks inhale petrol or methylated spirit, does that mean we should also shutdown the refinery?
Shame on Nigeria.

Too much sense wee not kee me sha but will this production line have been shutdown if it was owned by a Musa, Ahmed, Yahaya or a Muhammad?

Dangote trucks have killed more Nigerians yet not one of his factory has been closed.
FRSC would have probably banned the transportation of cement by trucks and road if it was owned by an Easterner.

So there are no cough medicine that don't contain Codeine? There are MANY types of cough syrup and only one type was banned. Why the hysteria? In fact, cough syrup don't even CURE cough, it only address the symptoms by suppressing the feeling of cough. The body is left to address the primary cause of the cough. It is only when it persists that antibiotics is used to help the body.

Re: Codeine: NAFDAC Closed Only One Of Our Production Lines, Emzor Reacts by Nobody: 8:22am On May 09, 2018
jmoore:

Why not list them here? Since you have done your research.
i wonder oo!

Re: Codeine: NAFDAC Closed Only One Of Our Production Lines, Emzor Reacts by ogbada33: 8:22am On May 09, 2018
Best piece I've read in a very long time. Kudos!
NwaAmaikpe:

Nigerians are fools.

I am not an addict,

Shame on Nigeria.

Re: Codeine: NAFDAC Closed Only One Of Our Production Lines, Emzor Reacts by Nobody: 8:23am On May 09, 2018
sirusX:

Guy...I have work to do and I won't have time for all that codeine research

I only said "it was stated"....meaning I saw it somewhere being discussed
so you are not sure then? or can not prove your claims.
Re: Codeine: NAFDAC Closed Only One Of Our Production Lines, Emzor Reacts by Chukazu: 8:24am On May 09, 2018
firstolalekan:
All these ignoramus...

So codeine based drugs are the only drugs that can be used to treat cough??

Why ban codeine when ordinary Zimbabwe is legalizing Marijuana for health purpose?

Why is Nigeria government always backward in thinking

The TVC did a documentary on the abuse of codeine about two years back nothing was done
The BBC did their own documentary the federal government quickly started reactionary measure just to appear good in international level?
Re: Codeine: NAFDAC Closed Only One Of Our Production Lines, Emzor Reacts by sirusX(m): 8:28am On May 09, 2018
gypsey:
so you are not sure then? or can not prove your claims.

I'm not here to prove anything....let's get that straight

I came across the statement where it was discussed by those in the pharmaceutical field
Re: Codeine: NAFDAC Closed Only One Of Our Production Lines, Emzor Reacts by jmoore(m): 8:35am On May 09, 2018
mfm04622:

So there are no cough medicine that don't contain Codeine? There are MANY types of cough syrup and only one type was banned. Why the hysteria? In fact, cough syrup don't even CURE cough, it only address the symptoms by suppressing the feeling of cough. The body is left to address the primary cause of the cough. It is only when it persists that antibiotics is used to help the body.
Do you know the alternative given by NAFDAC?
Re: Codeine: NAFDAC Closed Only One Of Our Production Lines, Emzor Reacts by Printerscanner: 8:36am On May 09, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:

Nigerians are fools.

I am not an addict,

Shame on Nigeria.

Pained drug addict, sorry no more Codeine for you to abuse and get high. You can switch to Tramadol and die soon.
Re: Codeine: NAFDAC Closed Only One Of Our Production Lines, Emzor Reacts by jmoore(m): 8:36am On May 09, 2018
firstolalekan:

I don't dignify ignoramus...
You have no knowledge to offer.
Re: Codeine: NAFDAC Closed Only One Of Our Production Lines, Emzor Reacts by Metuh: 8:39am On May 09, 2018
firstolalekan:
All these ignoramus...

Pharm. Olalekan can you tell us what and what are used in producing cough syrups?
Re: Codeine: NAFDAC Closed Only One Of Our Production Lines, Emzor Reacts by Metuh: 8:41am On May 09, 2018
mfm04622:

Mention a cough syrup that doesn't contain Dextromethorphan
Re: Codeine: NAFDAC Closed Only One Of Our Production Lines, Emzor Reacts by rhemmiedream(m): 8:48am On May 09, 2018
gypsey:
i think Nigeria or is it NAfDAC has just shot themselves on the foot. let's see how nigerians will survive without Emzor. grin
So, nah only Emzor dey Nigeria
Re: Codeine: NAFDAC Closed Only One Of Our Production Lines, Emzor Reacts by rhemmiedream(m): 8:49am On May 09, 2018
Too many ignorant dolts on this thread. Jeez!!!
Re: Codeine: NAFDAC Closed Only One Of Our Production Lines, Emzor Reacts by mfm04622: 9:07am On May 09, 2018
firstolalekan:

You don't know anything.
A Fulani man with just 6 cows is a MILLIONAIRE.

Depends on the size. Some with 3 cows are millionaires.
Re: Codeine: NAFDAC Closed Only One Of Our Production Lines, Emzor Reacts by mfm04622: 9:08am On May 09, 2018
jmoore:

Do you know the alternative given by NAFDAC?

There are many already in the market. Removing one does not drastically affect the market
Re: Codeine: NAFDAC Closed Only One Of Our Production Lines, Emzor Reacts by jmoore(m): 9:23am On May 09, 2018
mfm04622:

There are many already in the market. Removing one does not drastically affect the market
And you have no idea what others contain?

Dextromethorphan, is the alternative by NAFDAC. It can be abused too.

Re: Codeine: NAFDAC Closed Only One Of Our Production Lines, Emzor Reacts by jmoore(m): 9:24am On May 09, 2018
Metuh:

Pharm. Olalekan can you tell us what and what are used in producing cough syrups?

Na native doctor you dey ask question.
Re: Codeine: NAFDAC Closed Only One Of Our Production Lines, Emzor Reacts by Bishopsgate(m): 9:34am On May 09, 2018
martineverest:
as if they never knew their official was selling it illegally for the company's benefit.

didn't BBC report the official to the company managers?.they kept quiet until the documentary was released

Not exactly true sir.

The BBC even stated in the documentary that the company was investigating the staff.

Emzor didn't do "nothing".

We need to learn to protect our own in Nigeria and Africa. Is what happened at Emzor that different from what happened in Facebook (Cambridge Analytica scandal)?

Was facebook shut down even when it was clear that they were negligent and culpable in putting millions of people at risk? The answer is no.

Instead they called the head honcho, gave him a talking too and asked him to do better.

If this was Nigeria, NCC might have banned facebook and shut down it's operations
Re: Codeine: NAFDAC Closed Only One Of Our Production Lines, Emzor Reacts by EMINIBLAIT(m): 9:39am On May 09, 2018
firstolalekan:
All these ignoramus...

No mind the mumu ,he couldnt tell the truth by confirming he's an addict "I once relied on codeine to cure tough cough " sir

there are many cough syrups and anti biotics that can be used to cure upper respiratory system!!!
come to your pharmacist

@emini_blait IG
Re: Codeine: NAFDAC Closed Only One Of Our Production Lines, Emzor Reacts by martineverest(m): 10:22am On May 09, 2018
Bishopsgate:

Not exactly true sir.

The BBC even stated in the documentary that the company was investigating the staff.

Emzor didn't do "nothing".

We need to learn to protect our own in Nigeria and Africa. Is what happened at Emzor that different from what happened in Facebook (Cambridge Analytica scandal)?

Was facebook shut down even when it was clear that they were negligent and culpable in putting millions of people at risk? The answer is no.

Instead they called the head honcho, gave him a talking too and asked him to do better.

If this was Nigeria, NCC might have banned facebook and shut down it's operations
they will surely be fined and then continue their production process
Re: Codeine: NAFDAC Closed Only One Of Our Production Lines, Emzor Reacts by moshino(m): 10:32am On May 09, 2018
javalady:
Knee jack reaction as usual

Please which one is "knee jack", is it another form of ' knee jerk'?
Re: Codeine: NAFDAC Closed Only One Of Our Production Lines, Emzor Reacts by Nobody: 10:43am On May 09, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:

Nigerians are fools.

I am not an addict,

Shame on Nigeria.

Lol, all I can deduce from your comment is a senseless comparism. angry[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Codeine: NAFDAC Closed Only One Of Our Production Lines, Emzor Reacts by themanderon: 11:28am On May 09, 2018
A country that kills an ant with a caterpillar truck is that one a serious country?
Re: Codeine: NAFDAC Closed Only One Of Our Production Lines, Emzor Reacts by jmoore(m): 12:45pm On May 09, 2018
EMINIBLAIT:

No mind the mumu ,he couldnt tell the truth by confirming he's an addict "I once relied on codeine to cure tough cough " sir

there are many cough syrups and anti biotics that can be used to cure upper respiratory system!!!
come to your pharmacist

@emini_blait IG
Why not.mention the active substances in the alternative you are selling?
Re: Codeine: NAFDAC Closed Only One Of Our Production Lines, Emzor Reacts by Angelfrost(m): 1:01pm On May 09, 2018
firstolalekan:
All these ignoramus...

Don't be blatantly and proudly ignorant, son! Certain severe kinds of dry cough respond only to codeine. Do your research, and stop attacking people obviously more intelligent than you are. Thank you.
Re: Codeine: NAFDAC Closed Only One Of Our Production Lines, Emzor Reacts by Angelfrost(m): 1:09pm On May 09, 2018
hm54:
Lol, all I can deduce from your comment is a senseless comparism. angry[color=#006600][/color]

Am no fan of his, but you have no proper intellectual ground or basis to term his write-up senseless. His comparisons are quite sacrosanct. Your government agency is merely being unnecessarily reactive, and truly tossing the baby with the bath water. Why not outrightly ban production/importation of all sedatives like valium, lexotan, etc? Proper regulation of all addictive substances in supply is the sole duty of nafdac, and trust me it's not that difficult to do if they were committed in the first place. That is what all countries do, even Ghana. Where have you heard that any country banned the production and sale of codeine-based cough suppressants??!
Re: Codeine: NAFDAC Closed Only One Of Our Production Lines, Emzor Reacts by amakadihot87(f): 4:40pm On May 09, 2018
jmoore:

You are the one that needs knowledge.
......then give me knowledge.......i need to learn
Re: Codeine: NAFDAC Closed Only One Of Our Production Lines, Emzor Reacts by jmoore(m): 4:48pm On May 09, 2018
amakadihot87:
......then give me knowledge.......i need to learn
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cough_medicine

Obesity-related Diseases Among Top Three Killers In Most Countries - World Bank / Dr Chinenye Otorkpa, Federal Medical Center Lokoja's First Home Grown Fellow / Pls How Can I Gain My Weight Back

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49