Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,176 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:00 AM

Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development (9461 Views)

Why Are These Two Igbo States Hated??? / An Analysis/predictions Of The Presidential Elections In South East (igbo)states / GDP in Relation to Poverty in Nigeria: Why are Igbo States Low (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by londoner: 1:56pm On May 24, 2010
@kobojunkie,  You shouldn't on the one hand say, its about discussing Igbo states, then say its ok to throw in an example of somewhere else in order to basically evidence how behind you assert Igbo states are.

I am not boundary moving, why would I? I have had a conversation with a Yooba person, who insisted that the whole of Niger Delta is Igbo. So, I dont know if people are trying to say that oil producing states lag behind although they have much more resources. I just wanted clarification. you really dont need to make it a fight or a battle no need to lump me in with people you have encountered on other threads ok.

We Nigerians dont always have to huff and puff about everything we are simply discussing.

I just dont see where in Igbo states they have so much more than anyone else. I just dont. If they have please provide the sources.
Igbo states to me are, Imo, Abia, Anambra, Enugu and Ebonyi. I think these are the states in total you are referring to right?
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by Kobojunkie: 2:09pm On May 24, 2010
londoner:

@kobojunkie,  You shouldn't on the one hand say, its about discussing Igbo states, then say its ok to throw in an example of somewhere else in order to basically evidence how behind you assert Igbo states are.
I am not boundary moving, why would I? I have had a conversation with a Yooba person, who insisted that the whole of Niger Delta is Igbo. So, I dont know if people are trying to say that oil producing states lag behind although they have much more resources. I just wanted clarification. you really dont need to make it a fight or a battle no need to lump me in with people you have encountered on other threads ok.
We Nigerians dont always have to huff and puff about everything we are simply discussing.
I just dont see where in Igbo states they have so much more than anyone else. I just dont. If they have please provide the sources.
Igbo states to me are, Imo, Abia, Anambra, Enugu and Ebonyi. I think these are the states in total you are referring to right?
The @Poster gave a list of states that apply, can we please stick to that list at least so we can move on from this to discuss the main question here? If it even makes it better for your Ego and mine, can we PRETEND all those on the thread are Ibos so we can at least get somewhere PRODUCTIVE with this?
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by yemmight(m): 2:16pm On May 24, 2010
When it became issue of GDP, igbo boys on NL have added, rivers, delta.  Igbo pple I hail thee.  Everybody knows that they lacks development seriously.  Igbo states lack good roads in Nigeria.  Thats why you see ibos flooding Lagos and Abuja for better life.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by mekuszyx: 2:20pm On May 24, 2010
Kobojunkie:

The @Poster gave a list of states that apply, can we please stick to that list at least so we can move on from this to discuss the main question here? If it even makes it better for your Ego and mine, can we PRETEND all those on the thread are Ibos so we can at least get somewhere PRODUCTIVE with this?

Again you confirm that you are the poster (not that it matters to me). Do I understand that you, the poster, imply that non-Igbo speaking states of the former East are Igbo states? If so, how can you evaluate that Igbo states are lagging behind by comparing them to themselves? How can the allegation be proven w/out comparisons with so-called non Eastern states? I thought I was dealing with somebody that can analyse. Phew!

At first you say you expected much from Igbo states because we claim superiority and so should live up to it. Do CRS and AKS, Bayelsa and Rivers, your own new definition of Igbo states, also do same?
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by onyengbu1(m): 2:24pm On May 24, 2010
yemmight:

When it became issue of GDP, igbo boys on NL have added, rivers, delta.  Igbo pple I hail thee.  Everybody knows that they lacks development serious.  Igbo states lack good roads in Nigeria.  Thats why you see ibos flooding Lagos and Abuja for better life.

So, all the Germans, Israelis and  Americans I see here in  Nigeria are in our country because of our good roads, exceptional rail system and uninterrupted electricity supply.

Try and reason like like an adult please.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by mekuszyx: 2:24pm On May 24, 2010
yemmight:

When it became issue of GDP, igbo boys on NL have added, rivers, delta.  Igbo pple I hail thee.  Everybody knows that they lacks (sic) development seriously.  Igbo states lack good roads in Nigeria.  Thats why you see ibos flooding Lagos and Abuja for better life.

Yes they lack good roads. But are roads the only measure of development? In any case, the last time I checked the Sagamu road, the Ibadan-Kwara road, two of the worst in naija are not ''ibo'' roads. I do not see the better life in Lagos because the human development indices data does not indicate so. Igbos are simply migratory which explains why you find them even in Zamfara, far away from the ''better life'' (note the quote) you allude to in Lagos and Abuja.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by martinosi: 2:24pm On May 24, 2010
mekuszyx:

Kobojunkie

Stop being evasive. Please answer my questions. If you have no answers, please kindly say so.

1. You said Lagos has nothing compared to Imo? Please explain
2. Lagos has the population to generate huge revenues, seaports, fishin th sea and other water-based touristic potentials, a huge industrial base. Now tell me what Igbo states (or one specific Igbo state) have/has that is comparable
3. TO WHAT EXTENT CAN YOU SEPARATE THE DEVELOPMENTS THAT EXISTED IN LAGOS AS A FORMER FED CAPITAL FROM THE CURRENT ONES?
4. Why the fixation on Lagos? What about other SW states?

I have reposted these questions over and over for you and you pretend not to see them.

She is avoiding your questions becuase she likes to argue blindly,
She just looking down on you,
I guess she looks down on african-americans too not knowing that the freedoms
she enjoys today in the state of Ohio is due to the Blood and sweat of african-americans that were willing to be Hosed, beaten and jailed and Lynched in the 30's. 40's,50's and 60's, and i bet she will say that slavery & segregation
and Jim crow laws did not set African americans back and kept their communities under-developed lol!!!
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by Kobojunkie: 2:27pm On May 24, 2010
Sigh!!! undecided
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by londoner: 2:29pm On May 24, 2010
@kobojunkie, you and I both know you are not here on this thread to be productive.

@Yemmight, Is it a coincidence that lagos and Abuja are or have been capitals? Even Hausa's "flood" Lagos and Abuja, so your point is? In terms of roads, come on, I'm sure Yooba states have the same issues with poor roads etc,  or do they not?

Noone here would say that there is a lack of development in most states in Nigeria, including those which are Igbo states. To say they lag behind in general is not necessarily correct, unless you are comparing them with states they cant compete with anyway whether they be oil producing or former or current capital cities.

What you see in Igbo states is what you will see in general across Nigeria, so tell me where they are lagging behind in particular.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by Kobojunkie: 2:31pm On May 24, 2010
londoner:

@kobojunkie, you and I both know you are not here on this thread to be productive.

That is false!! Unless you can certify you are a bonafide mind reader now, I suggest you and I stick to the discussion and not my person or YOUR personal delusions there of my person.

If you really are here for honest debate on this issue, then please get to it already, and stop with the side-tracking/derailing.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by mekuszyx: 2:32pm On May 24, 2010
Yes Kobo, you are highly unproductive, as ever.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by londoner: 2:34pm On May 24, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Sigh!!! undecided

I agree we should stick to the topic and be ready to answer questions about the things we assert here.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by Kobojunkie: 2:36pm On May 24, 2010
londoner:

I agree we should stick to the topic and be ready to answer questions about the things we assert here.

I agree and we need also READ ALL THAT IS POSTED rather than continue to ask silly questions of things that were never implied in the first place and made clear in post after post. Seriously, it gets real old after once or twice.

Again, can we get to discussing the issue of decay/lagging behind in Ibo States according to the posters definition of Ibo land?
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by martinosi: 2:39pm On May 24, 2010
onye_ngbu:

So, all the Germans, Israelis and  Americans I see here in  Nigeria are in our country because of our good roads, exceptional rail system and uninterrupted electricity supply.

Try and reason like like an adult please.

Whats funny is that the truth is just the truth and it is what it is,

Even the white people know that the Igbo's are the most industrious people
in Nigeria.

I Visited a Large Nigerian church in the UK and they had a guest speaker
from TExas, a Multi-millionaire businessman and he was talking about the Various cultures and ethnic groups in Nigeria and the places he has visited in Nigeria and then he mentioned the igbo's and with a look of
"Knowing in his eyes and a grin/smile on his face he said "Hmm the igbo's
the wise ones, the jews of Africa" and before you could blink your eyes
all the Yuroba people started to say "no o! no ! no!.
I would not have believed
it if i had not seen it with me own eyes and heard it with my ears!!!

Its just the truth, i see it in the uk, Jews have told me that the Igbo's are still the hope of Africa PERIOD!!!
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by londoner: 2:41pm On May 24, 2010
@kobojunkie, you said earlier that you expect more from Igbo states than any other. Why is that?
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by Kobojunkie: 2:44pm On May 24, 2010
londoner:

@kobojunkie, you said earlier that you expect more from Igbo states than any other. Why is that?

I also answered that question earlier!
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by martinosi: 2:44pm On May 24, 2010
hmm
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by onyengbu1(m): 2:46pm On May 24, 2010
The Poster Wrote:

It is even worse when you compare the performance of Igbo state governors to that of other states in Yoruba land such as Ogun State, Lagos State to mention just a few.  The Igbo people need to wake up and say no to corrupt, incompetent and 419 leaders and seek to appoint credible people who can deliver the dividends of democracy to Igbo people who are becoming a joke in the face of modern day Nigerian politics.

and Kobo now wrote:

Kobojunkie:

I agree and we need also READ ALL THAT IS POSTED rather than continue to ask silly questions of things that were[b] never implied in the first place[/b] and made clear in post after post. Seriously, it gets real old after once or twice.

Again, can we get to discussing the issue ofdecay/laggingbehind in Ibo States according to the posters definition of Ibo land?

if we are to follow the topic as the poster started it and not the way you want it discussed, then the issue of comparing must be discussed because he did compare igbo states and other regions.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by Nobody: 2:47pm On May 24, 2010
See matured people arguing over nothing!

Are Igbo States lagging behing? Yes, but it's not restricted to them!

Edo and Oyo State should have the Oldest cities and are still glorified villages!

Don't get me started on Nothern States!

So pray tell, why are you guys arguing    undecided
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by martinosi: 2:48pm On May 24, 2010
mekuszyx:

Yes Kobo, you are highly unproductive, as ever.

CO-SIGN,
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by martinosi: 2:55pm On May 24, 2010
Ujujoan:

See matured people arguing over nothing!

Are Igbo States lagging behing? Yes, but it's not restricted to them!

Edo and Oyo State should have the Oldest cities and are still glorified villages!

Don't get me started on Nothern States!

So pray tell, why are you guys arguing    undecided

My Apologies Joan, Its these "Nigerians that have eaten too much Burger
in the States & UK run their mouth all the time who do not
exercise any form of respect and  openess to other peoples opinion that
ticks me off here,
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by londoner: 2:57pm On May 24, 2010
@kobojunkie, ok fine, you say you answered the question earlier, but I dont think you did. it came off as more of a sarcastic retort to Igbo's here that you feel have a misplaced sense or superiority.

Since you have said, Igbo states lack development, which I and many others here agree with. Do you believe that lack of development is particular only to Igbo states when you look at Nigeria as a whole? It is important in assessing whether they lag behind all other states in general.

Its one thing to say Igbo states lack development, quite another to say Igbo states lack development in relation to all others.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by yarodin: 2:58pm On May 24, 2010
That is why Nigeria will never progress and I mean it.  Every where in Nigeria we have run down roads and infrastructure, but people will continue to argue about which states or regions are better.  The truth is that everywhere you go in Nigeria you will always find the good, bad, and ugly.   Ok Lagos is more developed than the whole of Igbo land, but yet with all the beauty, you still see the rotten decay, poverty, crimes, no power supply etc but because I live in Ikoyi, VI, Lekki, Lagos is very developed.   Whether Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba, Efik, Edo, Nigeria has few bright spots with a whole bunch of poo.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by Katsumoto: 2:59pm On May 24, 2010
londoner:

@kobojunkie, ok fine, you say you answered the question earlier, but I dont think you did. it came off as more of a sarcastic retort to Igbo's here that you feel have a misplaced sense or superiority.

Since you have said, Igbo states lack development, which I and many others here agree with. Do you believe that lack of development is particular only to Igbo states when you look at Nigeria as a whole? It is important in assessing whether they lag behind all other states in general.

Its one thing to say Igbo states lack development, quite another to say Igbo states lack development in relation to all others.

Please take further arguments from this position. This is articulate enough.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by Kobojunkie: 3:02pm On May 24, 2010
londoner:

It is NOT MY FAULT that you chose to read it that way. Please understand the difference between what I write, and what you think of what I write. I know people typical confuse the two, but I also believe they ought to know better.

londoner:

I think I have made it clear at this point that this discussion , for me, is not about comparing ibo states with states outside of ibo land. I even went as far as to suggest how we can measure development in these states. This is about Ibo land, so  let us stick to Ibo land.  

londoner:

Well, we are ibo land, right? Again, let us stick to discussing development in Ibo land.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by mekuszyx: 3:04pm On May 24, 2010
It is very disappointing to observe that most states in Igbo land are not pulling their weight in terms of development particularly Imo State and Anambra State.  A visit to these states made me to wonder if their governors both past and present are not ashamed of themselves.  There is nothing new in terms of development whatsoever.  What is common is very bad roads, almost completely depleted infrastructure, rising crime, poverty, etc.

Compared with what governors from even neighbouring states such as Rivers State, Cross Rivers State and Akwa Ibom States are doing, it is not difficult to observe that the governors of Igbo states do not have the interest of the people at their hearts.  Igbo states particularly Imo and Anambra states have not been blessed with governors with integrity and fear of God.  Ibo people pride themselves to be the wisest amongst other Nigerians but they have nothing to show for it.

I learnt that the Imo State governor Ohakim was a 419 operator before he joined politics and he is now the number 1 person in the state.  How can any well-meaning person expect such a man to perform in the interest of the people?  If you make enquiries about the well-known names in politics in Igbo land, they are mostly 419 operators and people with no integrity, low education and questionable character.

It amuses me to observe that the Imo State governor is trying to make a last minute election-geared impact by offering 10,000.00 jobs for Imo State graduates, when he has not built any new institutions or brought about any remarkable development or improvement in the quality and standard of living of the people.  The governor of Rivers State for example has built and is still building new institutions that will transform the state and provide more and lasting employment and development to his people.

It is even worse when you compare the performance of Igbo state governors to that of other states in Yoruba land such as Ogun State, Lagos State to mention just a few.  The Igbo people need to wake up and say no to corrupt, incompetent and 419 leaders and seek to appoint credible people who can deliver the dividends of democracy to Igbo people who are becoming a joke in the face of modern day Nigerian politics.
Kobojunkie:

I agree and we need also READ ALL THAT IS POSTED rather than continue to ask silly questions of things that were never implied in the first place and made clear in post after post. Seriously, it gets real old after once or twice.

Again, can we get to discussing the issue of decay/lagging behind in Ibo States according to the posters definition of Ibo land?

The first quote is the original post. The poster mentions a few Igbo states and compares them to neighbouring states of Rivers, CRS and AKS. That comparison clearly indicates that the poster has separated the Igbo states from these states and that separation, in my opinion, is 100% correct, since those states are not Igbo states, in truth. The poster then goes further to state that most Igbo states are lagging behind, yet he gives example with only 2 states out of 5. That is less than 50%. He gives examples of his perception of lack of development as crime, poverty, and as he puts it, completely depleted infrastructure. I do not see how crime is a sign of lack of development. The most criminal countries in the world are actually the developed ones. South Africa has one of the worst crime rates, yet is far more developed than Nigeria, let alone Igbo states.  When the poster’s perception of poverty is considered, it is also clear that the poster is wrong because all poverty measurements available have shown that Igbos are not the poorest of Nigerians; in fact they are the least affected by poverty. Then the poster compares Igbo states to Ogun and Lagos, which shows clearly that for him to evaluate how lagging behind Igbos states are, he knows he should be comparing the so-called laggard states to some other states.  I do not see that the poster assumes that all Eastern states are Igbo sates. Otherwise, he would not compare Imo and Anambra to Rivers, CRS and Akwa Ibom.  I do not see any evidence that Ogun state is more developed than Igbo states except Ebonyi. I do not ses that Akwa Ibom and CRS are more developed that Igbo states aside Ebonyi. I do not see how we can prove that Igbo states are lagging behind without providing the evidence and comparing those evidences to those from other states. I do agree that Igbos lack good roads, but other parts of Nigeria also lack good roads. Federal infrastuctures are lacking in Igboland, but we all know the reason for that. I conclude that all Nigerian states lack development. I disagree that Igbo states lag behind other states in overall development, except Lagos and Rivers, both states that have had serious federal attention, unlike Igbo states.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by bkbabe97: 3:14pm On May 24, 2010
martinosi:

Whats funny is that the truth is just the truth and it is what it is,

Even the white people know that the Igbo's are the most industrious people
in Nigeria.

I Visited a Large Nigerian church in the UK and they had a guest speaker
from TExas, a Multi-millionaire businessman and he was talking about the Various cultures and ethnic groups in Nigeria and the places he has visited in Nigeria and then he mentioned the igbo's and with a look of
"Knowing in his eyes and a grin/smile on his face he said "Hmm the igbo's
the wise ones, the jews of Africa" and before you could blink your eyes
all the Yuroba people started to say "no o! no ! no!.
I would not have believed
it if i had not seen it with me own eyes and heard it with my ears!!!

Its just the truth, i see it in the uk, Jews have told me that the Igbo's are still the hope of Africa PERIOD!!!

Lololol. Yall Biafrans keep comin' up with the most amazing lies ever? LOLOLOL. A "TEXAN", of all people, refers to the Ibos as "The Jews of Africa", a name that the Ibos concocted for themselves! Next, JEWS picked, of all ethnicities in Africa, the Ibos as the "Hope" of Africa?!?! Lol. Can these lies of yours get anymore ridiculous?!?!? Whats next, Scientist are going to proclaim the Ibos as the most likely to "find" the mythical Unicorn? Yall kill me!!!
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by Katsumoto: 3:17pm On May 24, 2010
Kobojunkie:

It is NOT MY FAULT that you chose to read it that way. Please understand the difference between what I write, and what you think of what I write. I know people typical confuse the two, but I also believe they ought to know better.

I think I have made it clear at this point that this discussion , for me, is not about comparing ibo states with states outside of ibo land. I even went as far as to suggest how we can measure development in these states. This is about Ibo land, so  let us stick to Ibo land.  
Well, we are ibo land, right? Again, let us stick to discussing development in Ibo land.

Kobojunkie

How can you have a debate about the development, or lack of it, of Igbo states in isolation. That sort of position is usually taken when there is a general concensus by interested parties that the person/state/group/country needs help. It would not make sense for Somalia to be sat at a conference where they are discussing the political situation in Thailand.

If you want to talk about the under-development of Igbo states, then you either
1. Argue that Igbo states are lagging behind and state your evidence or
2. Argue that all states in Nigeria are under-developed and perhaps use Eastern states as your case study.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by londoner: 3:19pm On May 24, 2010
@kobojunkie, so you want to discuss how one Igbo state lags behind in development with another Igbo state?

That is actually a totally different thread than the OP intended I think.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by Katsumoto: 3:20pm On May 24, 2010
bk/babe97:

Lololol. Yall Biafrans keep comin' up with the most amazing lies ever? LOLOLOL. A "TEXAN", of all people, refers to the Ibos as "The Jews of Africa", a name that the Ibos concocted for themselves! Next, JEWS picked, of all ethnicities in Africa, the Ibos as the "Hope" of Africa?!?! Lol. Can these lies of yours get anymore ridiculous?!?!? Whats next, Scientist are going to proclaim the Ibos as the most like to "find" the mythical Unicorn? Yall kill me!!!

That got me laughing as well. Its funny how some people think that their personal experiences count as evidence in a debate. That sort of talk is meant for a village square gardering or beer parlour discussions.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by martinosi: 3:20pm On May 24, 2010
bk/babe97:

Lololol. Yall Biafrans keep comin' up with the most amazing lies ever? LOLOLOL. A "TEXAN", of all people, refers to the Ibos as "The Jews of Africa", a name that the Ibos concocted for themselves! Next, JEWS picked, of all ethnicities in Africa, the Ibos as the "Hope" of Africa?!?! Lol. Can these lies of yours get anymore ridiculous?!?!? Whats next, Scientist are going to proclaim the Ibos as the most like to "find" the mythical Unicorn? Yall kill me!!!

Yep, here we go anutha Air-head on Nairaland,
Its never ceases to amaze me the kind of fools that pop
up on this forum,
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by mekuszyx: 3:21pm On May 24, 2010
Londoner and others: You can see my arguments all along and compare them to Kobojunkie's, who wants to discuss Igbo development out of the Nigerian context and even goes as far as classying the entire eastern region as Igbos.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

PDP Chairmanship: Fayose Calls On Stakeholders To Support Modu Sheriff / 12 Conditions For “praising” Buhari By Farooq A. Kperogi / PHCN Substation On Fire In Ikoyi, Lagos - Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.