Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,971 members, 7,821,400 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:28 PM

Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development (9456 Views)

Why Are These Two Igbo States Hated??? / An Analysis/predictions Of The Presidential Elections In South East (igbo)states / GDP in Relation to Poverty in Nigeria: Why are Igbo States Low (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by Kobojunkie: 7:08pm On May 23, 2010
mekusxxx:

I completely agree that Igbo states lack development. But they are not lagging behind any SW (aside Lag) and any SS state (aside PH-Rivers). Akwa Ibom has almost no industry except for Mobil and the Aluminum smelter co. The paper mill at Oku Iboku is dead. Many of the okada riders in Aba are from Akwa Ibom. Asaba in Delta is only just developing and if anything, is an Igbo enclave.

Thank you for being honest!
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by mekusxxx: 7:18pm On May 23, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Thank you for being honest!

I do not need your thanks. The question is do other states lack development? If so, why should Igbo states be expected to be so different?

It is also COMPLETELY INCORRECT that Igbo states lag behind other states, except the few I have noted and for obvious reasons.
All Ijebu towns, despite their position in yorubaland are as drab as Mbawsi in Isi-alangwa.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by Kobojunkie: 7:31pm On May 23, 2010
mekusxxx:

I do not need your thanks.
My thanking you was in appreciation of your at least willing to bring this discussion BACK to where it ought to be with that admission there.

mekusxxx:
The question is do other states lack development?
How can that be the question when IT WAS NEVER POSED?
mekusxxx:

If so, why should be Igbo states be expected to be so different?
Why shouldn't Ibo States be blazing the trail when it comes to development? What is STOPPING them? This, I think, is what you ought to be asking here.
mekusxxx:

It is also definitely incorrect that Igbo states lag behind other states, except the few I have noted and for obvious reasons.
Considering

a) Intelligence levels in those states as claimed by many, such as yourself
b) The claimed enterprising nature of the people -- You happen to have helped in peddling that belief by the way
c) The claimed unity that exists among the people
d) The ratio of allocations to people recieved each month by many of those states
e) The claimed revenues generated and the many stats that show these states are not having problems

I think it is FAIR to conclude that Ibo States are lagging behind when it comes to development. Ever heard the phrase "To whom much is given, much is expected!"? I believe it aptly applies here. I would not expect a state like Katsina, where majority are not even considered educated, let alone enterprising to blaze the trail here, or would you? I would think not. So, unless you are going to tell us here and now that all the claims about Ibos being brilliant and enterprising are myths, I makes sense to state that Ibo states are lagging behind.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by mekusxxx: 7:43pm On May 23, 2010
Kobojunkie

Well if you say Igbo state have not lived up to expection based on their fame in may different endevours, you are correct. But to say they are lagging behind is false because the comparison made by the OP is false, ab initio. Whom are they lagging behind? Oyo, Ondo, Osun, Ekiti, Ogun, Edo, northern states? Who? Out of 36 Nigerian states, in every measurable indices that we have provided here, 4 of 5 Igbo states are in the first ten, always. So in whose behind are they? I think they got consumed by the nigerian syndrome.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by Kobojunkie: 7:46pm On May 23, 2010
mekusxxx:

Kobojunkie

Well if you say Igbo state have not lived up to expection, you are correct. But to say they are lagging behind is false because the comparison made by the OP is false, ab initio. Whom are the lagging behind? Oyo, Ondo, Osun, Ekiti, Ogun, Edo, northern states? Who? Out of 36 Nigerian states, in every measurable indices that we have provided here, 4 of 5 Igbo states are in the first ten, always. So in whose behind are they?

Edited for error in language used
========================

In MANY  measurable indices as well, Nigeria as a country is doing great. But the minute you start to consider the reality; available resources, manpower etc of the situation and compare that to output on every level in the country, you get to understand why people in and from Nigeria do not believe those indices are indications of the reality found in the country. Apply the same here and you might understand the @Poster's disappointment in Ibo states.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by mekusxxx: 7:48pm On May 23, 2010
Kobojunkie:

In every measurable indices as well, Nigeria as a country is doing great. But the minute you start to consider the reality of the situation, you get to understand why people in and from Nigeria do not believe those indices are indications of the reality found in the country. Apply the same here and you might understand the @Poster's disappointment in Ibo states.

FALSE. SHOW ME ONE DEVELOPMENT INDEX WHERE NIGERIA IS DOING WELL AND AGAINST WHICH COUNTRIES? NIGERIA IS A BASKET CASE AND ITS COMPONENTS ARE THE SAME. WOULD YOU ALSO AGREE THAT WITH ALL THE BILLIONS LAGOS GETS FROM TAXES AND OIL MONEY, THE DEVELOPMENT IS NOT COMMENSURATE?

You will agree that Igbo claim to superiority is in response to Yoruba claim to the same thing. You and I are witnesses to these claims and counter-claims. So are Yoruba states, with all their claims, lagging behind or not? Or is it only Igbos that should be so judged?
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by londoner: 7:51pm On May 23, 2010
@OP, who are these Igbo states lagging behind? You probably have particular states in mind when you made the assertion.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by mekusxxx: 7:52pm On May 23, 2010
typical ijebu town. look beyond the persons, look at the buildings

Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by TewMuch: 9:30pm On May 23, 2010
If they are not lagging behind, I wonder why they leave Igbo states by the bus load for even Ijebu villages you curse out so much.What must be chasing them away? I wonder. Maybe na hunger.lol!
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by mekusxxx: 9:33pm On May 23, 2010
TewMuch

If 10 Igbos lag behind, 1000 Yorubas do same. If you must be reminded, migration is Igbo culture which has nothing to do with hunger. Please tell me why Yoruba also migrate to other places including Igboland? Or do you ignorantly presume the traffick is not both ways? Talking about hunger, for sure there is hunger all over Nigeria but the one in Igboland has not elevated like the one in Yorubaland. Nowhere in Igboland do you find young people begging for food with plates as in Yorubaland (the pic from Osun State). Amajiri syndrome of southern naija.

Again, I direct you to these sites and the ones contained therein

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-237534.0.html

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-373873.0.html
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-36515.0.html
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=355230.msg4968328#msg4968328
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-371485.0.html

Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by Kobojunkie: 10:09pm On May 23, 2010
mekusxxx:

FALSE. SHOW ME ONE DEVELOPMENT INDEX WHERE NIGERIA IS DOING WELL AND AGAINST WHICH COUNTRIES? NIGERIA IS A BASKET CASE AND ITS COMPONENTS ARE THE SAME. WOULD YOU ALSO AGREE THAT WITH ALL THE BILLIONS LAGOS GETS FROM TAXES AND OIL MONEY, THE DEVELOPMENT IS NOT COMMENSURATE?

Are you certain?

http://hdrstats.undp.org/en/countries/country_fact_sheets/cty_fs_NGA.html

I am not here to COMPARE States as you are willing. I already gave you the reasons for why I would expect more from Ibo states than I would any other state in Nigeria. Unless you are going to come up with a state with the same level of resources available. Till then, I am not willing to compare apples and acorns here. Pointing to Lagos in the way you have above is to me your way of creating more excuses for why I should not hold leaders and people in Iboland responsible for the situation, not in Lagos, but in Ibo Land.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by mekusxxx: 10:17pm On May 23, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Are you certain?

http://hdrstats.undp.org/en/countries/country_fact_sheets/cty_fs_NGA.html

I am not here to COMPARE States as you are willing. I already gave you the reasons for why I would expect more from Ibo states than I would any other state in Nigeria. Unless you are going to come up with a state with the same level of resources available. Till then, I am not willing to compare apples and acorns here. Pointing to Lagos in the way you have above is to me your way of creating more excuses for why I should not hold leaders and people in Iboland responsible for the situation, not in Lagos, but in Ibo Land.

Did you look at the graph in your link? Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) is at the lowest rung of the ladder and Nigeria is just only slightly better than the SSA. Did you also notice that some countries we typically deride beat us in some of the indices? No, you canot single IGBO states out but must expect the same of others, especially Yoruba. They and Igbos are the ones claiming superiority. So they must be judged equally. Igbo states lack development, like other Nigerian states. However, they do not lag behind more than one or two other Nigerian states (Lagos, Rivers, and may be, may be, Delta).
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by abadaba(m): 10:20pm On May 23, 2010
@Kobo or nairajonkie or whatever your useless is, you should be more concerned about your area not Igboland. You should be ashamed to continue to post here after all the photographs and other samples forumites have posted here. Fo.ols like you only live either in Ibadan or Lagos and do not visit your hamlets.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by mekusxxx: 11:30pm On May 23, 2010
I have no doubt that the original poster is a sham. He must be a veteran nairalander who, in wanting to cause mischief, registered with a new name. No first-time poster will come here and start spewing rubbish from the start. I am inclined to believe that bigdoo =Kobojunkie.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by Kobojunkie: 11:32pm On May 23, 2010
Ofcourse I am he@Meku. Yes, because in your mind, everyone is like and thinks like you do, right? And as soon as we dare not think as you do, we all have to be lumped together in some way for your mind to be at ease, right?
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by mekusxxx: 11:37pm On May 23, 2010
^^^^
Suit yourself. But don't come here yapping that Igbos states are lagging behind when the indices say otherwise. Also you are unable to tell me the states that are doing better than Igbo states amongst your stu-pid Yoruba states (aside Lagos). I don't buy your crap.ok?
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by abadaba(m): 11:40pm On May 23, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Ofcourse I am he@Meku. Yes, because in your mind, everyone is like and thinks like you do, right? And as soon as we dare not think as you do, we all have to be lumped together in some way for your mind to be at ease, right?
Nonsense.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by Ibime(m): 11:41pm On May 23, 2010
Igbo states are lagging behind in infrastructure - an effect of long and premeditated neglect of the area by the FG. You cannot expect an Igbo state to boast the same kind of Infrastructure as Lagos, PH and Abuja who have received more than their fair share of Federal funding. . . . on any other level, Igbo states are comparable to all other states we have in Naija.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by Kobojunkie: 11:43pm On May 23, 2010
mekusxxx:

^^^^
Suit yourself. But don't come here yapping that Igbos states are lagging behind when the indices say otherwise. Also you are unable to tell me the states that are doing better than Igbo states amongst your stu-pid Yoruba states (aside Lagos). I don't buy your crap.ok?

Dude, I posted the link the link to the indices you claim do not speak well of Nigeria but those show that Nigeria has seriously improved compared to past years. Not sure what indices you continue to refer to here.

Are u not ashamed that you compare Ibo states with states that cannot even boast of half the resources obtained in Ibo land? Lagos has NOTHING compared to any of the states in Ibo land yet the state continues to blaze the trail . Even when you choose not consider the past works of the federal government in the state, you cannnot deny the fact that Lagos has been able to own most of the development in that state.  The current governnor has been able to, in a period of 2 years move that state to a state that generates 75% of it's revenue from taxes which it in turn uses to rebuild the state, and you are here thinking making fun of Yoruba makes the situation in the East better somehow? Can you compare the resume of the current governor to that of Orji or even Obi in the same period?
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by abadaba(m): 11:45pm On May 23, 2010
Ibime:

Igbo states are lagging behind in infrastructure - an effect of long and premeditated neglect of the area by the FG. You cannot expect an Igbo state to boast the same kind of Infrastructure as Lagos, PH and Abuja who have received more than their fair share of Federal funding. . . . on any other level, Igbo states are comparable to all other states we have in Naija.

Well said.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by mekuszyx: 11:50pm On May 23, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Dude, I posted the link the link to the indices you claim do not speak well of Nigeria but those show that Nigeria has seriously improved compared to past years. Not sure what indices you continue to refer to here.

Are u not ashamed that you compare Ibo states with states that cannot even boast of half the resources obtained in Ibo land? Lagos has NOTHING compared to any of the states in Ibo land yet the state continues to blaze the trail . Even with supposed past works of the federal government in lagos, Lagos has been able to own most of the development in that state. The current governnor has been able to, in a period of 2 years move that state to a state that generates 75% of it's revenue from taxes which it in turn uses to rebuild the state, and you are here thinking making fun of Yoruba makes the situation in the East better somehow? Can you compare the resume of the current governor to that of Orji or even Obi in the same period?

What do you mean Lagos has nothing? So all the tens of millions of people paying taxes and generating the revenue with which Lagos is developing are nothing? Lagos gets the largest chunk of money aside the main oil-producing states -of which the igbo states are non-and certainly gets the largest VAT share. Your argument is terribly lame. What do the Igbo states have? Some oil in Abia and Imo? And oil and gas not being explored at the moment in Anambra. What else? Ondo, Bayelsa, Edo and Cross River are also oil-producing states, are they better than the average Igbo state?
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by Kobojunkie: 11:54pm On May 23, 2010
So, because Lagos has about 18 million people, that to you compares to the resources I listed earlier, and what you have in your last post? I will say WOW!
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by mekuszyx: 11:55pm On May 23, 2010
^^^^
What resources did you list that abound in Igbo states?
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by mekuszyx: 11:57pm On May 23, 2010
Kobojunkie

before you go on ranting, you will remember that I have not compared any Igbo state to Lagos. I have always put Lagos aside. Why are you comparing Igbo states to only Lagos? What happens to the other Yoruba states?
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by mekuszyx: 12:01am On May 24, 2010
Most Nigerians including people like kobojunkie expect individual Igbos to develop Igboland. That is good. But they must also do same for individuals from other parts of Nigeria. That said, it is on record that Igbos are among the few Nigerian ethnicities that carry out community development projects independent of the FGN or state govt. The Imo airport is a case point to a large extent. Plus several innumerable water and electrification projects that communities have taken on without recourse to state or fed govt. Can this be said of other states?
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by Kobojunkie: 12:07am On May 24, 2010
mekuszyx:

Most Nigerians including people like kobojunkie expect individual Igbos to develop Igboland.

Ok  .  .  . That is NOT entirely true. Nigerians are responsible for the condition in Nigeria, just as I believe that the mentality you have exhibited on this thread and the other you created, is RESPONSIBLE for Ibo land continuing with the status quo. And the biggest problem is people who think as you do REMAIN the MAJORITY. I don't believe individuals need to develop Nigeria or Iboland - instead I believe individuals need to put pressure on their government, just as it is done in the western world, which I am certain you are aware of, to get work done. All I ask is that individuals do their duty in this democracy rather than sit back and continue to make excuses for the status quo to continue, only to complain when it continues to not work. It is like mad people who continue to do the same things over and over(excuse the ineptitude of government) but then expect magic to happen and all things to become new.

mekuszyx:

But they must also do same for individuals from other parts of Nigeria.
Please STOP!!! Anyone who knows me on here knows I AM  IMPARTIAL  . . .  whether it is on Imo, Ogun, Katsina, Kano etc. I list the problems and MAKE ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSES for the mediocre fate people like you continue to FIGHT to keep  in Nigeria.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by mekuszyx: 12:11am On May 24, 2010
PLEASE ASNWER ME STRAIGHT. WHY DO YOU COMPARE IGBO STATES TO LAGOS STATE? WHAT ABOUT OTHER SOUTH WEST STATES?
+TO WHAT EXTENT CAN YOU SEPARATE THE DEVELOPMENTS THAT EXISTED IN LAGOS AS A FORMER FED CAPITAL FROM THE CURRENT ONES?
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by mekuszyx: 12:12am On May 24, 2010
kb,
What resources did you list that abound in Igbo states?
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by mekuszyx: 12:18am On May 24, 2010
Ibime:

Excellent summary of the situation. Thanks.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by Kobojunkie: 12:19am On May 24, 2010
For anyone to compare Lagos with a state such as Imo state(for instance) one would have to come up with a way of matching resource levels here. I mentioned earlier that compared to states in the East, Imo included, Lagos has NOTHING. So how can I then make a fair comparison there?

I only pointed out that Lagos was, and is doing great for a state seriously limited in terms of the level of resources available to it. The current governor has been able to acheieve quit a lot in just 2 years and so is blazing the trail for development in Nigeria. You cannot deny that fact.
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by EzeUche(m): 12:20am On May 24, 2010
Why are we paying any attention to the WOMAN [/b]known as [b]Kobojunkie? She needs to leave politcs to MENgrin
Re: Igbo States Are Lagging Behind In Development by oyinda3(f): 12:22am On May 24, 2010
sharrap dia ezeuche. or u need me to travel down to umuahia to give u a SLAP??

Kobojunke go on soun (sp?) jare. nothing do u

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigeria: PDP Not Greatest Threat to Democracy -Bakare / My Oil Firm Got No Kobo Of Subsidy From Fg -jimoh Ibrahim / Photo Speak: Aisha Buhari Visited Qatar Not USA- Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.