Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,658 members, 7,809,491 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:29 AM

Nigerian Woman Sues US Airline For Ejecting Her Over Body Odour - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Woman Sues US Airline For Ejecting Her Over Body Odour (36823 Views)

Nigerian Man Shouts At US Airline Hostess "Do You Think I Am Your Mate?" / Qantas Airlines Is The World’s Safest Airline For 2019.See The Top 20 Safest / Singapore Airlines Is The World's Best Airline For 2019.See Top 10 Best Airlines (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Woman Sues US Airline For Ejecting Her Over Body Odour by Milllz: 11:04pm On May 12, 2018
By Gabrielle Banks | on May 11, 2018

A Nigerian passenger has filed a civil rights lawsuit alleging that United Airlines personnel ejected her and her children from an international flight departing from Houston in 2016 because of her “pungent” odor.

The woman says in a federal discrimination suit filed in Houston Friday that she and her minor children were boarding a San Francisco bound plane — the second leg of a three-flight journey from Nigeria to Canada — when an incident occurred involving a white male passenger that escalated to her being asked by United staff to exit the plane. They eventually made their connection after a five-hour delay.

United Airlines representatives said they would not comment.

“We have not yet been served with this suit and due to the pending litigation involved in this matter, we’re unable to provide further comment,” spokesman for the airline said, in a emailed statement.

An attorney for the woman also could not be reached for comments.

According to court documents, Queen Obioma, a frequent flier member on the United’s Star Alliance was traveling from Lagos, Nigeria to Ontario, Canada in March 4, 2016 where her children were going to school.

During a flight change in Bush Intercontinental Airport, Obioma arrived at her row in business class to find a white passenger sitting in her assigned seat. He refused to relocate, according to the lawsuit. The flight staff attempted to resolve the conflict, but the man persisted and Obioma agreed to take his seat nearby.

Prior to takeoff, she returned from visiting the restroom and the same male passenger tried to block her access to the seat for several minutes, according to the charges. She says a United staffer named in documents as Russel H. ordered her to step off the plane, where she was told by another United agent that the pilot had asked her to exit the plane based on a complaint from the white man sitting near her her, according to the lawsuit.

Obioma says in the lawsuit that she was informed that the business class passenger was not comfortable flying with her because she was “pungent” and informed that she could not return to the plane. Distraught, the woman explained that her children were still on board. United agents removed the children from the flight as well, and they made their connection five hours later.

Obioma says United discriminated against her because she is black, African and Nigerian. She is seeking punitive damages and attorney’s fees.
Cc: lalasticlala, mynd44

https://www.sfgate.com/nation/amp/Nigerian-passenger-in-Houston-says-United-12908304.php

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/woman-kicked-off-united-flight-032438798.html

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Woman Sues US Airline For Ejecting Her Over Body Odour by thesicilian: 11:05pm On May 12, 2018
Na wah o

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Woman Sues US Airline For Ejecting Her Over Body Odour by Nbote(m): 11:12pm On May 12, 2018
Sue their white racist asses... Imagine d concobility.. She's even a frequent flyer sef and jus because a white man complained and she's black, voila!! She's off d plane

slyfoxxjoe:
the fact she is a frequent flyer with them and this is the first time she is experiencing this sort of thing should tell you it's not about racism. Why don't we Nigerians ever consider that we may be at fault? Maybe she did really stink..

So it was her smell dat made d white man occupy her seat also abi? Sometimes let's get our heads out of our asses before reasoning.. He was already seated on her seat before she even came in which means dey gave out her seat. Did he perceive d smell from his home and den decide to com occupy her seat? He was already assigned her seat. Did d man perceive d "pungent" smell from her ticket? D airline assigned her seat to d white man even before dey perceived d smell.. Either she was wearing designer fragrance OKPEI by D&G (Deji and Gbadabo) or she had OGIRI by CHRISTIANa DIORa or both d white man and d airline have supernatural powers dat sniffs from d Internet..

162 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerian Woman Sues US Airline For Ejecting Her Over Body Odour by loomer: 11:19pm On May 12, 2018
and na them smell pass o

85 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Woman Sues US Airline For Ejecting Her Over Body Odour by Nobody: 1:01am On May 13, 2018
Nbote:
Sue their white racist asses... Imagine d concobility.. She's even a frequent flyer sef and jus because a white man complained and she's black, voila!! She's off d plane
the fact she is a frequent flyer with them and this is the first time she is experiencing this sort of thing should tell you it's not about racism. Why don't we Nigerians ever consider that we may be at fault? Maybe she did really stink..

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Woman Sues US Airline For Ejecting Her Over Body Odour by otokx(m): 3:10am On May 13, 2018
Interesting

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Woman Sues US Airline For Ejecting Her Over Body Odour by Nobody: 4:04am On May 13, 2018
slyfoxxjoe:

I wasn't there so I can only go by my own experience.

I simply cannot believe that the event occurred as stated. She's a Woman and one that is travelling with children. Most Air Hostesses are Women. I just do not see a female air hostess siding with a male against a mother with children unless the situation was dire.

I also believe that it will take the Captains involvement to get her bounced and not just an air hostess.

The Airline will settle out of court.

27 Likes

Re: Nigerian Woman Sues US Airline For Ejecting Her Over Body Odour by swiz123(m): 1:24pm On May 13, 2018
Prior to takeoff, she returned from visiting the restroom and the same male passenger tried to block her access to the seat for several minutes, according to the charges

Must everything be about racism?; the woman probably had pooed on herself grin

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Woman Sues US Airline For Ejecting Her Over Body Odour by veekid(m): 1:24pm On May 13, 2018
Is body odour not an offence on US soil?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Woman Sues US Airline For Ejecting Her Over Body Odour by nairaman66(m): 1:24pm On May 13, 2018
What is the meaning of all these contraption??

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Woman Sues US Airline For Ejecting Her Over Body Odour by Alejoc(m): 1:24pm On May 13, 2018
grin cheesy

She can actually make money from this!

I no use Cologne again!

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Woman Sues US Airline For Ejecting Her Over Body Odour by chieyine(m): 1:26pm On May 13, 2018
shocked shocked
Sue their fucking ass and make that money
Is it their body odour ni angry
Re: Nigerian Woman Sues US Airline For Ejecting Her Over Body Odour by AngelicBeing: 1:26pm On May 13, 2018
sad

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Woman Sues US Airline For Ejecting Her Over Body Odour by tracyfemmmm: 1:26pm On May 13, 2018
Its racism. Trust me when a say this. They think because you are African you smell a certain way. Why was he sitting in her sit in the first place?. And you think a woman flying in business class does not know how she smells. That man is racist . We see subtle things like that all the time. You can't pinpoint it but you feel it. And getting kick out for smell? Hmm I laugh . Why not change sits if it bothers you so much.

36 Likes

Re: Nigerian Woman Sues US Airline For Ejecting Her Over Body Odour by Toks2008(m): 1:27pm On May 13, 2018
loomer:
and na them smell pass o

Oversmell worry most of them...Awon smellos.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Woman Sues US Airline For Ejecting Her Over Body Odour by Alejoc(m): 1:27pm On May 13, 2018
God can use anything to make a way for you..... Stop despising your buts!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Woman Sues US Airline For Ejecting Her Over Body Odour by AfonjaBoston: 1:28pm On May 13, 2018
Truth be told some Africans stink. I hear Caucasians and African Americans say it all the time. There is a distinct smell that just oozes out of some African women and men, same with Garlic smell from Indians and onion smell from Hispanics.

White people have their own smell . its the rotten bacon smell God help you if you have to use the bathroom after a Caucasian male or female.

Is a pungent smell in of course a pressurized plane enough grounds for ejection?
Interesting case for both sides of the aisle in a favorable court

Eat right, invest in cologne/perfume, floss and use mouth wash, do not wear the same clothes you use in cooking your egusi and okporoko out and these kinda shoot won't happen

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Woman Sues US Airline For Ejecting Her Over Body Odour by YorubaEmir: 1:28pm On May 13, 2018
grin
Re: Nigerian Woman Sues US Airline For Ejecting Her Over Body Odour by Abbeyme: 1:28pm On May 13, 2018
That's insulting.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Woman Sues US Airline For Ejecting Her Over Body Odour by waleq2000: 1:29pm On May 13, 2018
Is body odour an offense in the US
Re: Nigerian Woman Sues US Airline For Ejecting Her Over Body Odour by Ellabae(f): 1:29pm On May 13, 2018
Lol so funny.
Re: Nigerian Woman Sues US Airline For Ejecting Her Over Body Odour by Nobody: 1:30pm On May 13, 2018
This cannot happen if your children school in Naija.

Patapata, they will drive the body odour away with better air freshener and smile while collecting your money.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Woman Sues US Airline For Ejecting Her Over Body Odour by MrMcJay(m): 1:30pm On May 13, 2018
Congrats to the woman.

Reminds me of a former classmate who was delayed in Zenith Bank because he looked suspicious. He got an NGO to sue Zenith and the matter was settled out of court for an undisclosed amount but it was in millions. Dude became a big boy overnight.

Head or tail, that airline is gonna lose. Even if they are right legally and the facts favour them, they would want this matter to die down as soon as possible due to negative publicity it would bring. They don't want to lose their African and coloured flyers due to the sentiments attached.

They are already negotiating heavy dollars settlement and that's why even the woman's lawyers refused to talk.

18 Likes

Re: Nigerian Woman Sues US Airline For Ejecting Her Over Body Odour by Laple0541(m): 1:30pm On May 13, 2018
Chai.....Nigerians don suffer.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Woman Sues US Airline For Ejecting Her Over Body Odour by martineverest(m): 1:30pm On May 13, 2018
better.
Re: Nigerian Woman Sues US Airline For Ejecting Her Over Body Odour by Iko5000: 1:31pm On May 13, 2018
I agree with you 100 percent . Something is not right in the story. The fact that she calms that he sat on her seat and would not budge and she sat somewhere else cannot be true in my experience.
EgunMogaji:

I wasn't there so I can only go by my own experience.

I simply cannot believe that the event occurred as stated. She's a Woman and one that is travelling with children. Most Air Hostesses are Women. I just do not see a female air hostess siding with a male against a mother with children unless the situation was dire.

I also believe that it will take the Captains involvement to get her bounced and not just an air hostess.

The Airline will settle out of court.
Re: Nigerian Woman Sues US Airline For Ejecting Her Over Body Odour by okolet(m): 1:31pm On May 13, 2018
Z
Re: Nigerian Woman Sues US Airline For Ejecting Her Over Body Odour by tragergeorge(m): 1:31pm On May 13, 2018
After una go de blame yahoo boys, did anyone read the comments on a post by these white people pertaining that jcole show, they were even mocking us that we can't afford school, but we affording shows and I phones....make dem no worry,dem go hear word,

Anyway ,good news is, now loading any local Yankee bank, uber cc, wlamart or any cc ,instant reflecting, even that broke client can make you blow

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Woman Sues US Airline For Ejecting Her Over Body Odour by Hector09(m): 1:32pm On May 13, 2018
If she ve odour, then the airline is right cus if i was d white guy i we do dsame too

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Do You Know This Hit And Run Victim? / Snake Killed Inside 'Goodness & Mercy' Bus Going To Onitsha (Photos) / Interstate Travel: We May Increase Fares, Says NURTW

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.