Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,134 members, 7,818,415 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:52 PM

Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC (50007 Views)

Who Else Is Having Problems With Loading IKEDC Token? / TCN: Free Electricity Is Mere Propaganda / Lockdown: Free Electricity Is Not For All Nigerians – FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by OShepherd: 4:08pm On May 13, 2018
fr3do:
In a healthy Electrical system with breakers, relays and other switchgear fully operational, short circuits and open circuits are isolated within less than a second.

But because the authorities are cutting corners, these equipment are not working or there. Thats why they dey seize light when rain dey fall.
No bigger lie than this sir
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by citizenY(m): 4:36pm On May 13, 2018
Opinionated:
Ikeja Electric also known as (IKEDC) has taken time to explain why it is common to electricity cut in Nigeria when there is a rainstorm.

It posted the explanation on Twitter thus:

Do You know?

That power outages during storms are mostly a safety measure that in the event of a short circuit, broken branch or strong winds felling poles, lives and property may be protected as there is significantly increased risk of harm where wires remain energized in a strong storm?

What do you think: a good thing or not?

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/electricity-cut-rainstorm-nigeria-ikedc/

Just one question. Do they shut down the power stations too?
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by jpphilips(m): 5:35pm On May 13, 2018
Opinionated:
Ikeja Electric also known as (IKEDC) has taken time to explain why it is common to electricity cut in Nigeria when there is a rainstorm.

Do You know?

That power outages during storms are mostly a safety measure that in the event of a short circuit, broken branch or strong winds felling poles, lives and property may be protected as there is significantly increased risk of harm where wires remain energized in a strong storm?

It is a safety feature to protect transmission lines, the difference between Nigeria and other advanced countries is that our trip off threshold has been lowered significantly as a safe working allowance for our dilapidated transmission infrastructure, or completely disabled in other words, if you upgrade both transmission and distribution infrastructure, you don't need to cut power during bad weather.
IKEDC forgot to tell you it is their responsibilityto do the upgrade that will forestall such grin grin
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by jpphilips(m): 5:37pm On May 13, 2018
fr3do:
In a healthy Electrical system with breakers, relays and other switchgear fully operational, short circuits and open circuits are isolated within less than a second.

But because the authorities are cutting corners, these equipment are not working or there. Thats why they dey seize light when rain dey fall.

Absolutely, most of the safety features are all gone so they operate like Barbarians.
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by captianfreeman(m): 5:58pm On May 13, 2018
Arrant nonsense! People who think and act this way , are the reason for our backwardness as a nation. Unfortunately, they are all over the place.
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by KushLyon(m): 6:17pm On May 13, 2018
Talknochip:
Smh... And the power usually remains 'CUT' for days, atimes weeks even after the rainstorm! ( JEDC,KEDC ) are very guilty of this...
later they will come and tell us they are trying to dry the wire first angry shithole country

1 Like

Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by KushLyon(m): 6:22pm On May 13, 2018
rain will fall for 30 minutes, they will use 3 days to dry wire before restoring power...... instead of cutting off power to prevent the risk of falling electric poles and wire from murdering us all, why not look for a way to contain it Like most countries does ??
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by SegunAj(m): 6:24pm On May 13, 2018
[b][/b]that is not an excuse, find something more meaningful to say please not this
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by Okpegbulueze: 6:34pm On May 13, 2018
Will u keep kwayeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by 4pppp(m): 6:42pm On May 13, 2018
I don't subscrip to that because i been to other countries but there is no power cut during rain
They should look for another excuse
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by Alejandro2040: 7:36pm On May 13, 2018
Dottore:
Rubbish. Why are outages a rare occurrence in other countries. Why are they still using overhead electric poles. We keep defending mediocrity.

that's because instead of the FG to invest money into purchasing the equipment and technology to furnish the issue, all the monies are being misappropriated
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by TeameeMoses(m): 8:06pm On May 13, 2018
anibirelawal:
I thought they do wait for the electric cable to get dried before restoring power. grin
true talk for Ilorin where i lives in or Kwara in general, two weeks is not even enough to dry the wire....
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by Offpoint: 8:12pm On May 13, 2018
great664:

Yes Bro... Since the rain fell 5days ago in my area.. they are waiting for the pole to dry before restoring the light and it wants to rain again today I guess it will be 2weeks before the pole completely dried... That's if there's no rain fall in between
you area even better sef... sey na only wire dem dey dried... for my own side here na both transformer, wire and NEPA office dem dey dried. rain of 15mins with small breeze blow since Monday...na today Sunday dem just dey flash de light to check welda transformer don dry finish
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by anibirelawal(m): 8:12pm On May 13, 2018
TeameeMoses:
true talk for Ilorin where i lives in or Kwara in general, two weeks is not even enough to dry the wire....

Two weeks? too bad over there.
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by tytunji29(m): 8:34pm On May 13, 2018
chuka5000:
most European countries experience heavy storm and rainfalls far worse than ours yet u will never hear anything like power cut.
they should just accept they're inexperienced or that they no wan work. simple.

modified, for all who's quoting me saying that European countries don't suffer harsh weather conditions worse than ours, please use ur Google well.
at least I've seen some myself.
most of dre wiring system there re undagrounds
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by tubosunmii(m): 8:42pm On May 13, 2018
If that is the case why would nepa or whatever offical they call themselves charge the month that has not ended plus that of last month it is understandable for last month but adding the month that has not ended to me is fraud and government is not looking into it.
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by Seedorph09(m): 8:43pm On May 13, 2018
It is because of those people that they give construction of poles contract to. Inadequate experience.
There own is to just dig ground and erect poles not minding the feets that they are supposed to dig. 6feets is the standardized one but our electricians in Nigeria usually digs length of shover. Imagine!
Though, i don't blame them because they are using bar( iron rod with sharp pin mouth) to dig it with token amount of money,while other countries are using machines. TALO WA FEKU??
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by RaptorX: 9:22pm On May 13, 2018
dominion001:
The question is why are you still using overhead poles in 21st century, that is spoiling the beauty of cities everywhere. In sane countries every connection is done underground, u don't see poles everywhere but lights everywhere.
Not true, developed countries like the US still use overhead poles everywhere. Only in the CBD like downtown is where the lines are underground.
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by dominion001(m): 10:18pm On May 13, 2018
RaptorX:
Not true, developed countries like the US still use overhead poles everywhere. Only in the CBD like downtown is where the lines are underground.
talk of where u know and I'll tell you of where I know. You can not see an Electric pole standing in any of German road/street. That u are right does not make others wrong.
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by Goldaccumulator: 10:20pm On May 13, 2018
chuka5000:
most European countries experience heavy storm and rainfalls far worse than ours yet u will never hear anything like power cut.

modified, for all who's quoting me saying that European countries don't suffer harsh weather conditions worse than ours, please use ur Google well.
Read about thunder protectors man.
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by LZAA: 11:53pm On May 13, 2018
Opinionated:

Do You know?

go and cut light they have paid for abroad wey neva expire or u no inform the consumer
baba query or sack sure pass
no sector in d poohole works
smh
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by chuka5000(m): 12:06am On May 14, 2018
Goldaccumulator:

Read about thunder protectors man.

did you read the part where I said that they are inexperienced or that they don't want to work.

it's their duty to do the thunder thing.

just read my comment well
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by salford1: 2:20am On May 14, 2018
dominion001:
The question is why are you still using overhead poles in 21st century, that is spoiling the beauty of cities everywhere. In sane countries every connection is done underground, u don't see poles everywhere but lights everywhere.
Canada is a sane country and there are poles every where, both cities and rural. Millions of poles that is.

I see where you are coming from since you mentioned Germany. Europe is small (landwise), hence they can afford to go U/G. North America is huge, hence we have poles eveywhere. It all boils down to cost.
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by salford1: 2:25am On May 14, 2018
RaptorX:
Some downtown even still have hundreds of overhead poles.
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by naijaking1: 2:31am On May 14, 2018
hisgrace090:
Only because we never developed.
Still living in a jungle with it many trees.

Trees don't make jungles, human attitude and behavior do.
Central park NYC, and California sequoias are good examples
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by salford1: 2:51am On May 14, 2018
Seedorph09:
It is because of those people that they give construction of poles contract to. Inadequate experience.
There own is to just dig ground and erect poles not minding the feets that they are supposed to dig. 6feets is the standardized one but our electricians in Nigeria usually digs length of shover. Imagine!
Though, i don't blame them because they are using bar( iron rod with sharp pin mouth) to dig it with token amount of money,while other countries are using machines. TALO WA FEKU??
yes. workmanship is very bad too. Those naija O/H infrastructure always look like they were erected by bricklayers instead of Powerline Technicians. I wonder if they have a construction standards that they follow.
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by igbsam(m): 3:52am On May 14, 2018
And you people will now use 1 month to sun dry the wire before switching on electricity
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by Seedorph09(m): 12:16pm On May 14, 2018
salford1:

yes. workmanship is very bad too. Those naija O/H infrastructure always look like they were erected by bricklayers instead of Powerline Technicians. I wonder if they have a construction standards that they follow.

Construction standards ke! Here in Nigeria. Where will they see that.
Morever, another reason is that, manufacturing companies of poles are now numerous and most of them don't use sufficient materials such as using 8bags of cement instead of 12 to 15bags, and the same thing is applicable to the iron rod they use. There own is to make much and much profit without producing qualities. And before u know it, small breeze like diz will blow an erected pole off. Nigerian Sha!!
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by progress69: 2:51pm On May 14, 2018
Dottore:
Rubbish. Why are outages a rare occurrence in other countries. Why are they still using overhead electric poles. We keep defending mediocrity.

Abeg wetin dem dey use for other countries?

Many of u will be shocked at what u will see abroad when u travel..lol

Even here in US, they warn of us potential power outages when there is a storm or any other thing that can down branches or electric poles.
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by Dottore: 4:31pm On May 14, 2018
progress69:

Abeg wetin dem dey use for other countries?

Many of u will be shocked at what u will see abroad when u travel..lol

Even here in US, they warn of us potential power outages when there is a storm or any other thing that can down branches or electric poles.
Well I've never seen electric pole in China or UK. I think they have underground channeling because you'd see manholes at strategic points
Re: Why Electricity Is Cut When There Is A Rainstorm In Nigeria - IKEDC by MIKOLOWISKA: 8:02am On May 15, 2018
chuka5000:

they trim three trees

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Iliasu Abdul-Rauf: 14 Girls Found Locked Up In Apartment In Abuja / Profile Of AVM Hassan Bala Abubakar, Chief Of Air Staff / Compulsory Vaccination, Others Inside House Of Reps Diseases Control Bill

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.