Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,003 members, 7,952,997 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 08:54 AM

My Husband Has A Different Surname To The One He Uses.. - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Husband Has A Different Surname To The One He Uses.. (40203 Views)

Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s / Man Changes His Surname To His Mother’s Name / My Husband doesn’t give me sexual satisfaction because he uses condom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Husband Has A Different Surname To The One He Uses.. by jobonnairaland: 8:31am On May 14, 2018
Morwendy:
Haha I dont trust his family - he went to visit and his sister had a Nigerian wife lined up for him when he got there who had travelled from the USA to meet him. (He didnt tell me that either, the new wife-to-be contacted me when he refused - she already has a husband in the US) He's 3 years my junior - not a lot when you're in your 50's.
Some folks here lied to you as well. The Nigerian society believes in telling lies mostly to foreigners in order to get what they want.

The man in context is playing games with you. May likely dump you thereafter. Be ready for that!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Husband Has A Different Surname To The One He Uses.. by Aladeintl: 8:34am On May 14, 2018
It's very possible, I am using my partenal grandpa name as my surname.
In Nigeria, you can chose any name from your great grandpa, grandpa and papa' names to use as surname.
Re: My Husband Has A Different Surname To The One He Uses.. by Abagworo(m): 8:35am On May 14, 2018
His way isn't smooth but he might love you truly. However I cannot marry whom I doubt her sincerity because the doubt must have sprung from experiences in the course of relationship.

1 Like

Re: My Husband Has A Different Surname To The One He Uses.. by Nobody: 8:42am On May 14, 2018
HRtechnique:

Okay let me oblige you. Lets make a learned conversation and I hope I sound learned since you said I am not one.

1. How can you say Nigerian men are fraudsters? Does that make sense? The 10 highest country with fraudsters does not have Nigeria.
2. You said I should not blame the lady? Where did I do that?. Kindly mention.
3. You said she has every right to to think that way? Did I not say so?.
4. You said priest and rev sister give marital advice? Are they not trained to do so?. I married 5 years ago under the Catholic and I know what I went through under those priests.
5. You said my sense of reasoning is shallow coupled with pride? I am sorry for making you feel that way.
6. 20 years of marriage crash? Do you want to be the one that erroneously judge a marriage based on an online narrative?.
7. I should stop making the lady feel inferior? Where did I do that?
8. I aint talking like a Nigerian man? How do you know I am one? You see why its shallow to conclude things online?

See, here is my point:
Dont be haste to speak but be slow to listen.
You know nothing about this family... You have not heard from this man... We do not even know these people...
So you would agree with me that our opinion about them will be skewed.
I don't have time to analyze your points..go back to your previous comment and read what you wrote, of course we know nothing about them. that's the main reason why you should judge from what the op wrote and not what you think. case close..
Re: My Husband Has A Different Surname To The One He Uses.. by Homguy(m): 8:47am On May 14, 2018
Morwendy:
Thanks but when I'm about to pay £2.5k for his leave to remain and hes been busy setting up his secret company in Nigeria, I think I may be permitted to think that when he's a permanent resident next month, he has plans to be changing things?
you have got to be very careful. Do not settle. Ask to see other documents that corroborate his story.

1 Like

Re: My Husband Has A Different Surname To The One He Uses.. by cdoffx(m): 8:47am On May 14, 2018
Morwendy:
Hi. New here but have read threads for years til now and I just have a simple question to ask . Ok, I know how dim I sound but I married my Nigerian husband 8 years ago. Next week, we apply for his permanent leave to remain here. We've been happy enough since we got married, the usual ups and downs but nothing too serious. Anyway, I found that he has a website advertising a business in Nigeria. Asked him about it and he says yes its his but its not up and running yet (like thats why I was mad at him rather than because he set ghis up without even telling me). I was looking at some photos on his site and I came across a poster laying out the days events for his fathers funeral. At the foot of the poster it says 'by [his name but different surname] on behalf of the family. Now, this new surname is the same as his fathers so I believe it to be his true name. Asked him about it and he says that his surname is different to the rest of his family because he chose to take his paternal grandfathers name. I assume his father should also bear the grandfathers name? He just keeps telling me that I don't understand Nigerian customs/traditions but now the word 'scammed' keeps popping into my head. A simple yes or no would be enough - is it usual for a man to NOT take his fathers name? Thanks in advance.
Yes male children sometimes decide to change surname sometimes it is because they don't like the meaning or what the other name they would have used is associated with. This is very common when i served the the South Southern part of the country. Even my own dad told me the surname we are using is not the original family surname but his own father adopted the name of my great grandfather as our current surname.

1 Like

Re: My Husband Has A Different Surname To The One He Uses.. by nsesam(m): 8:51am On May 14, 2018
Very very possible, personally I don't use my grandfather name but use only my father name
Re: My Husband Has A Different Surname To The One He Uses.. by Facidio: 8:51am On May 14, 2018
5thElement:

The point is why is the man making himself untrustworthy? Should she be the person to ask? Shouldn't the man sit his wife down and explain things to her?
he might really be secretive as u think. maybe that's the surname he's been using. its the lady in question that is doing a detective job so she should be the one to ask

Why is he being secretive after 8 years of marriage?
Re: My Husband Has A Different Surname To The One He Uses.. by cdoffx(m): 8:51am On May 14, 2018
jobonnairaland:
Some folks here lied to you as well. The Nigerian society believes in telling lies mostly to foreigners in order to get what they want.

The man in context is playing games with you. May likely dump you thereafter. Be ready for that!
And you typed that affirmatively. That is wrong when you don't even know the person in question let alone know anything about him.
Re: My Husband Has A Different Surname To The One He Uses.. by Nobody: 8:52am On May 14, 2018
Boss13:

C’mon shut up! Are you married? How would you feel if your husband starts investigating you after 8 years of marriage. The same person you sleep with and have built a life with. You must be ridiculous. If I personally know the husband, I would inform him that he does not have a wife.
and you have the guts to say the man don't have a wife.. what are you even feeling like? almighty perfectionist? I pity your wife, obviously your wife don't have a say in whatever decision you take. perfect Mr right.
Re: My Husband Has A Different Surname To The One He Uses.. by Facidio: 8:55am On May 14, 2018
jobonnairaland:

because of £2,500 so why didn't he dump her all this while they've been married for 8year. so its because of that small money now that he's been with her for 8whooping years?....think and use ur brain.
Re: My Husband Has A Different Surname To The One He Uses.. by jjmk(m): 8:59am On May 14, 2018
Morwendy:
Hi. New here but have read threads for years til now and I just have a simple question to ask . Ok, I know how dim I sound but I married my Nigerian husband 8 years ago. Next week, we apply for his permanent leave to remain here. We've been happy enough since we got married, the usual ups and downs but nothing too serious. Anyway, I found that he has a website advertising a business in Nigeria. Asked him about it and he says yes its his but its not up and running yet (like thats why I was mad at him rather than because he set ghis up without even telling me). I was looking at some photos on his site and I came across a poster laying out the days events for his fathers funeral. At the foot of the poster it says 'by [his name but different surname] on behalf of the family. Now, this new surname is the same as his fathers so I believe it to be his true name. Asked him about it and he says that his surname is different to the rest of his family because he chose to take his paternal grandfathers name. I assume his father should also bear the grandfathers name? He just keeps telling me that I don't understand Nigerian customs/traditions but now the word 'scammed' keeps popping into my head. A simple yes or no would be enough - is it usual for a man to NOT take his fathers name? Thanks in advance.
Hello, I don't know what is going on with his specific case, but what I want u to know is that it is very normal.

There is no scam here. Many people choose to near their father's name instead of their grandfather's name.

Grandfather bears his own father's name. Father bears grandfather's name.

Your husband bears his father's name.

Your children bear your husband's name.

It is very common in Nigeria .

However, like I said earlier, I don't know anything about his specific case (UK border and all), but for the name issue it is not anything new or a scam.
Re: My Husband Has A Different Surname To The One He Uses.. by dnawah(m): 8:59am On May 14, 2018
Morwendy:
well it depends,some of us in Nigeria do that not because of scam but because of the meanings and the effects of the names in our lifes.or may be he did that to get visa after many application with the old name.u may also be right "scam"

1 Like

Re: My Husband Has A Different Surname To The One He Uses.. by austinauto(m): 9:00am On May 14, 2018
Morwendy:
Long story. He was in the Uk when I met him 10 years ago. He was arrested by border agency for being an overstayer BUT after 2 years of legal battles, border agency admitted they got it wrong, that he had been granted a visa to stay for 3 years but they lost his passport and he'd never chased them for it. To get a new Nigerian passport, he had to get his sister to send his national id card from Nigeria and that gave the name we're married under. (Mystified how she got him a new ID card but says she paid officials and they gave it to her). So apart from the new ID card and the new passport, no other documents.
I have different surname from my other family members, because I decided to do so. Some answers my great grandfather's name, why some of us answers our father's name.
Re: My Husband Has A Different Surname To The One He Uses.. by kodylicky(f): 9:02am On May 14, 2018
Morwendy:
I don't think he's a gold digger, we both work hard for what we have and that has never been an issue. I just wonder how he has his grandfathers name (paternal not maternal) and a business that I didnt know about. He has no property that I'm aware of until his fathers passing recently but he doesnt have documents for his fathers properties yet. No documents until he got the ID card just before we married.

I believe its possible...

My dad has a different surname from his brothers. He (my dad) took his father's first name as his surname. So he is the only one with a different surname in his family.
Re: My Husband Has A Different Surname To The One He Uses.. by thesicilian: 9:07am On May 14, 2018
Surrey2Bimshire:

Did the poster state she’s white ? Just asking
Lol. If you ask me, na who I go ask?
Although the op doesn't state it expressly, his/her language denotes that.

* My Nigerian husband...
* Doesn't know much about him
* Doesn't know much about Nigerian customs..
*'Throws the word "scam" around...
Re: My Husband Has A Different Surname To The One He Uses.. by Reptyle(m): 9:12am On May 14, 2018
Morwendy:

I took my father's first name as my surname after he passed while my siblings still answer the family name, which was my great-granfather's name. Some of my old documents still carry my name with my former surname though I have legal documentation to back the change of name. There are also situations where people take on the name of any of their ancestors...perhaps as a way of immortalising the person or the name. It is really no big deal.

Except you have a good reason to doubt your husband, I do not think this is enough reason to put a strain on your marriage. If it will be any help, ask him to show you a legal document that explains the change of name. If that still does not give you some comfort, perhaps you should hire a PI to help you clear your doubts.

Good luck.
Re: My Husband Has A Different Surname To The One He Uses.. by Martin0(m): 9:13am On May 14, 2018
QueenSuccubus:
grin

I have no idea as well..it's kinda weird that he has a different surname.. If that's the case, anyone of them in Ng can juz choose a surname they want? And my question is --- when are they allowed to change it? undecided

Have u seen his birth certificate or school diplomas? embarassed

Anyway, this is too complicated for me..lemme ask my TRUE-BLUE Ng friends to confirm.. cool

Cc
RadicallyBlunt
Martin0
Dafeyankee
Itzjwizzy

OK I suspect that guy is an igbo guy..

it is not a daily seen something from my culture to change and not bear you father's name, but in most cases some grown up men maybe decide to change and not bear their fathers name probably for a substantial reason known to them alone...
Re: My Husband Has A Different Surname To The One He Uses.. by Martin0(m): 9:17am On May 14, 2018
QueenSuccubus:
grin

I have no idea as well..it's kinda weird that he has a different surname.. If that's the case, anyone of them in Ng can juz choose a surname they want? And my question is --- when are they allowed to change it? undecided

Anyway, this is too complicated for me..lemme ask my TRUE-BLUE Ng friends to confirm.. cool

Cc
RadicallyBlunt
Martin0
Dafeyankee
Itzjwizzy

you can Firstly, in order to change your name, you must be an adult. A child cannot legally change their name, unless the parent or guardian of the child does it. The legal age for an adult in Nigeria is 18 years old.

Apart from the fact that you must be a legal adult in order to change your name, there are other instances you cannot change your name in order to escape a debt, a financial liability or to escape some sort of criminal liability.
Conversely, you cannot change your name in order to commit a crime or with the intention to mislead, such a change of name will be invalid.
Finally, there are certain classes of names that you would not be allowed to use, for example names that would intimidate, offend or be considered obscene or tribalist/racist.

This is basically for Nigeria oo
Re: My Husband Has A Different Surname To The One He Uses.. by Martin0(m): 9:20am On May 14, 2018
QueenSuccubus:
grin

Cc
RadicallyBlunt
Martin0
Dafeyankee
Itzjwizzy

people can change their names for various reasons ,most especially The biggest reason people decide to change their name is for marital reasons, either when a woman marries and decides to take her husband’s name (or vice versa). In addition, when a couple gets divorced people could decide to change their name in order to revert to the name before marriage.

I can decide to bear my wives or wife names if their heads are mentally stable.
Re: My Husband Has A Different Surname To The One He Uses.. by clinton21: 9:21am On May 14, 2018
Morwendy:

yes is possible I have a friend he bears his father's name as a surname while his twin bear their grandfather's name as a surname
Re: My Husband Has A Different Surname To The One He Uses.. by Sytasteme(m): 9:22am On May 14, 2018
99% of Nigerians bear their patanal names
Re: My Husband Has A Different Surname To The One He Uses.. by Martin0(m): 9:25am On May 14, 2018
QueenSuccubus:
grin

Cc
RadicallyBlunt
Martin0
Dafeyankee
Itzjwizzy

But one thing Is very important, if you have successfully changed your surname, then you should notify and make sure your birth certificate, and majority every important documents carries your new found or changed and official names ...

I have an uncle who bears his wife name and his been living fine for over going to 48Year's now, so incase you wanna ask a question related to this..
Re: My Husband Has A Different Surname To The One He Uses.. by Nobody: 9:27am On May 14, 2018
Originally, my question was about nothing other than the name but many of you here gave me food for thought so let me look now.

Who's paying his visa fees? I will be because in the last few years we have paid to:

Bury his grandma
Bury his uncle
Bury his sister
Put his niece through college
Bury his father (3 months ago)
Bury his stepmothers mother (1 month ago)
and he sends most of his salary back home after our bills are paid.

Does he travel to Nigeria often?

No, in 8 years he's gone twice. Never to a funeral.

His website is active. I can fill a cart with high cost items and pay for them BUT he says the business isn't up and running?

He came to the UK from The Gambia where he had been living til he came here with his first wife.

Children - he has 2 girls with someone else, not a wife, not a Nigerian or British woman. This lady and her children disappeared before I met him. The police were looking for her when he was having immigration problems but that seems to have stopped. One of his female friends once asked him how that lady was enjoying living in Nigeria - he denied that she was there and insisted that she just took the two very young children and returned to her own country.

His phone - both are always in his pocket. Both are always on silent. He takes many calls in the bathroom. I discovered a third phone and asked him about it. He didn't deny having it and even tried to make me think I'd forgotten he had it by saying my younger daughters always call him on that number - they don't, I checked. Asked him to show me his phones a few days ago and he refused (assured me there was nothing fishy going on)

Now, we have always talked about any such issues. We don't fight over them. And he usually has a plausible explanation no matter what the issue and mostly it's a' cultural or traditional' explanation which I can't dispute because as many here have proved to me, if you ask his fellow countrymen anything, they mostly take up the defensive for him and accuse the wife of being bad.

Why did I wait 8 years to start questioning him?

Only recently has he seemed to be not who I thought he was.
Re: My Husband Has A Different Surname To The One He Uses.. by abbeyty(m): 9:37am On May 14, 2018
Morwendy:
Originally, my question was about nothing other than the name but many of you here gave me food for thought so let me look now.

Who's paying his visa fees? I will be because in the last few years we have paid to:

Bury his grandma
Bury his uncle
Bury his sister

His website is active. I can fill a cart with high cost items and pay for them BUT he says the business isn't up and running?

He came to the UK from The Gambia where he had been living til he came here with his first wife.

Children - he has 2 girls with someone else, not a wife, not a Nigerian or British woman. This lady and her children disappeared before I met him. The police were looking for her when he was having immigration problems but that seems to have stopped. One of his female friends once asked him how that lady was enjoying living in Nigeria - he denied that she was there and insisted that she just took the two very young children and returned to her own country.

His phone - both are always in his pocket. Both are always on silent. He takes many calls in the bathroom. I discovered a third phone and asked him about it. He didn't deny having it and even tried to make me think I'd forgotten he had it by saying my younger daughters always call him on that number - they don't, I checked. Asked him to show me his phones a few days ago and he refused (assured me there was nothing fishy going on)

Now, we have always talked about any such issues. We don't fight over them. And he usually has a plausible explanation no matter what the issue and mostly it's a' cultural or traditional' explanation which I can't dispute because as many here have proved to me, if you ask his fellow countrymen anything, they mostly take up the defensive for him and accuse the wife of being bad.

It seems you have buried all members of his family. With what you just wrote here I can categorically tell you that you have enteted one chance with no way out
Re: My Husband Has A Different Surname To The One He Uses.. by Nobody: 9:41am On May 14, 2018
Oh no, there are still 11 siblings and many uncles/aunts that he is apparently responsible for!
Re: My Husband Has A Different Surname To The One He Uses.. by iamclime(m): 9:46am On May 14, 2018
Morwendy, your last comment here has said it all. Just take things one at a time. Ask him questions about your fears in a relaxed atmosphere. Pay attention to not only what he says but how he says it: his tone of voice, facial expressions, body language, etc. You will learn a lot from there. For those of us who are married, and HAPPILY so, we know the importance of communication, trust, and not jumping to conclusions. Best wishes in your marriage.
Re: My Husband Has A Different Surname To The One He Uses.. by Dwightventures(m): 9:53am On May 14, 2018
abbeyty:

It seems you have buried all members of his family. With what you just wrote here I can categorically tell you that you have enteted one chance with no way out

Lol
Re: My Husband Has A Different Surname To The One He Uses.. by Surrey2Bimshire: 10:03am On May 14, 2018
thesicilian:

Lol. If you ask me, na who I go ask?
Although the op doesn't state it expressly, his/her language denotes that.

* My Nigerian husband...
* Doesn't know much about him
* Doesn't know much about Nigerian customs..
*'Throws the word "scam" around...

Well that still didn’t denotes her race (I might be wrong )
Plus , being British is not synonymous to being white lol

I’ve got lot of things to say to this woman from a non Nigerian point of view.however I’ll let it slide as I do not want nairalander to come for my arse

I’ll be reading comments and shaking my head

Personally I won’t be filing jack shite for anyone nah I can’t be arse at all .

1 Like

Re: My Husband Has A Different Surname To The One He Uses.. by Dwightventures(m): 10:07am On May 14, 2018
Morwendy:

Bury his grandma
Bury his uncle
Bury his sister

In general, the vast majority of Nigerians are brought up to not value honesty or live by it. Indeed, there are accolades in society for being "smart" (dishonest) and people defrauded or cheated are the ones blamed for being "fools". If the Nigerian lives abroad, the tendency increases exponentially as only a tiny fraction of the Nigerian population can honestly meet the unrealistic conditions imposed on us to travel and live in the developed world. One more important thing: the average Nigerian "smart guy" sees you people in the west as fools, simpleton for being brought up in a society that values honesty and high morality. I can not begin to tell you how much I'm hated here in Nigeria for saying this and living a life to buck the trend. This is not my usual nairaland handle for saying this -- this is for business prospects but I had to use this to reply.

As for the name issue, absolutely irrelevant but the larger picture is the most pertinent. Nigerians are brought up to be fraudulent in their laser focus on pursuing material things and they're not aware of this just same way a pig isn't aware the place it likes staying is filthy
Re: My Husband Has A Different Surname To The One He Uses.. by Surrey2Bimshire: 10:10am On May 14, 2018
Hello lady , you should check this out ...

Cyberknight:

1. Let's not hang this chap before giving him a chance. It's a well-known fact that for a lot of families here in Nigera, names are still in flux, especially with our new found religiousity that has spawned a whole wave of name-changing from so-called "deity-related" ones to those declaring our Christianity. My family had the same issues and my grandfather's surname was changed when they "saw the light".

Others change it to some English name sometimes to conceal tribal origins and other times again out of an excess of religiousity, feeling that Biblical names are more connected to Christianity, and this is very common in the eastern/southern part of the country.

2. Another thing you might want to consider, especially given your husband's age (born almost immediately post-civil war), is that if he is from the eastern part of the country his birth was most likely not properly registered.

3. It should also be stated that many people here do not take personal details seriously the way they are taken in developed countries with proper record keeping. It is possible to alter dates of birth to take advantage of age-related opportunities (such as playing football,etc.), and while this is undoubtedly wrong, one should understand that for very many people these opportunities are sometimes their only tickets out of the grinding poverty that afflicts large swathes of the population.

I have worked with people in underprivileged areas and refugees, and I must say that sometimes one cannot help but understand the desperation that moves these people when it comes to the falsification of documents to get a chance at resettlement in the US or Canada.

4. Lastly, true, he may have had immigration (not necessarily criminal) issues in the past there in the UK which led to the name change. If you feel you need to get to the bottom of this, you could run a check on him over there, and if it turns up the former, not the latter, I can only say that you might want to read more about the Nigerian emigration crisis and what is driving it before you take a decision on what to do.

And surely a scammer would have cashed in and moved along by now if he was really one?

Best of luck to you both.
Re: My Husband Has A Different Surname To The One He Uses.. by iHart(m): 10:13am On May 14, 2018
Morwendy at the age of 49 your husband has no male child you know of. I think this is why he is acting that way. I am an Igbo and I can categorically tell you that it is a weighty thing not to have a male child. It can make a man think awkwardly. Do you have your own child, maybe from another marriage?

Now you have bury plenty of his people. Burial is an investment opportunity for many residing abroad. A new house is gotten, a new car is gotten, an old house is renovated, lands are bought etc. Are you guys making investments abroad too?

You guys are supporting too many of his family members. do you have your own family members you guys are supporting too? if not, it is bad.

Now, if your marriage ends, do you think you have anything to lose or regret? Would you see it as though you have wasted your years?

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

My Wife Is Pregnant For Her Pastor - Husband Tells Judge / Lazyreporta: A Nairaland Member Gets Married / Ramatu Muhammadu Nata'ala Missing Since Friday (Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.