Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,081 members, 7,811,029 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:12 PM

See The 10 Most Expensive Airports Ever Built In The World(Photos) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / See The 10 Most Expensive Airports Ever Built In The World(Photos) (9615 Views)

Some Funny And Awkward Road Signs Spotted Around The World (PHOTOS) / Amazing Borders Around The World (Photos) / Beautiful Places Around The World(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

See The 10 Most Expensive Airports Ever Built In The World(Photos) by Explorers(m): 10:19am On May 15, 2018
Airports are critical for travel throughout the world and some places are going to spend more money than others to make them work.

It is anything but expensive to build airports as they can include a large variety of different strips of land for planes to take off, a large number of security, tecnology features and places to house planes in and getting enough space just to have runways that each can be at least a mile long.

The fact that you'd have to get a large amount of land taken out just to get space for planes to actually take off and land on only makes the charges more expensive.

Airports are made to last and are supposed to be around for years to come.

Many airports are often designed with elaborate architectural features and support for dozens of stores, shops, restaurants, lodges just to make the travel experience more enjoyable.

Airports play a role in contributing to a country’s economy.

Ambitious projects often cost billions, in the hopes that it can generate more with tourism and travel.

With more people trotting the globe than ever before, airports are expanding and upgrading at unprecedented rates.

https://www.air-port-codes.com/blog/most-expensive-airports-ever-built/
Lalasticlala, Mynd44

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See The 10 Most Expensive Airports Ever Built In The World(Photos) by Explorers(m): 10:19am On May 15, 2018
10. Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KUL), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Cost: $3.5 Billion

One of South Asia’s biggest airports, the Kuala Lumpur International Airport covers 25,000 acres of space.

It was built in 1998, it took 25,000 workers from 52 countries over four years to build the airport.

Is the largest and busiest airport in Malaysia.

In 2017, it handled 58.5million passengers and 710,186 tonnes of cargo.

It is the world's 23rd busiest airport by total passenger traffic.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: See The 10 Most Expensive Airports Ever Built In The World(Photos) by Explorers(m): 10:20am On May 15, 2018
9. Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK), Bangkok, Thailand

Cost: $3.88 Billion

Built in 2006, the Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok has the tallest free-standing control tower in the world, at 434 feet tall.

It is also one of the busiest airports in the world, with over 55 million passengers passing through the airport each year.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: See The 10 Most Expensive Airports Ever Built In The World(Photos) by Explorers(m): 10:20am On May 15, 2018
8. Denver International Airport (DEN), Colorado, United States.

Cost: $5 billion

Denver International Airport, also commonly known as DEN/DIA, is an international airport in Denver, Colorado, United States.

At 33,531 acres (13,570 ha, 52.4 sq mi), it is the largest airport in the United States by total land area.

Runway 16R/34L, with a length of 16,000 feet (4,877 m), is the longest public use runway in the United States.

As of 2017, DEN was the 20th busiest airport in the world and the fifth busiest in the United States by passenger traffic handling 61.3million passengers.

It also has the third largest domestic connection network in the country.

DEN has non-stop service to destinations throughout North America, Latin America, Europe, and Asia serving 187 destinations in 2015.

The new Jeppesen Terminal has become an international icon with its tent-like roof.

Crowning the terminal, the white fiberglass roof resembles snow-capped mountains.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: See The 10 Most Expensive Airports Ever Built In The World(Photos) by EzendiEgo1: 10:20am On May 15, 2018

I doubt if you guys ever heard or know about Biafra Airport. Between 1967-1970 it was the largest civilian airlift,
....Modified...

What I said before was too bad, I have to modify my comment in order not to be ban.

3 Likes

Re: See The 10 Most Expensive Airports Ever Built In The World(Photos) by madridguy(m): 10:20am On May 15, 2018
Following the baddest explorer baba.

Explorers should ignore the boy above me, na highness dey worry am.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: See The 10 Most Expensive Airports Ever Built In The World(Photos) by Explorers(m): 10:21am On May 15, 2018
7. Berlin Brandenburg Airport (BER), Berlin, Germany

Cost: $5.5 Billion

Once it opens, Berlin Brandenburg Airport will be the city’s main airport, replacing the Tegel airport.

After almost 15 years of planning, construction began in 2006. Originally planned to open in 2010, the airport has encountered a series of delays due to poor construction planning and execution.

When it finally opens, the airport will include a new business park, easy rail access and a gate that can handle the Airbus A380, a plane that costs $400 million to build but can fit at least 500 passengers depending on the overall layout used inside the plane.

With projected annual passenger numbers of around 34 million, Berlin Brandenburg Airport would become the third busiest airport in Germany. This would surpass Düsseldorf Airport and make it one of the fifteen busiest in Europe.

7 Likes

Re: See The 10 Most Expensive Airports Ever Built In The World(Photos) by Explorers(m): 10:21am On May 15, 2018
6. Dubai International Airport (DXB), Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

Cost: $6 billion

Dubai International Airport is the primary international airport serving Dubai, United Arab Emirates and is the world's busiest airport by international passenger traffic. It is also the third-busiest airport in the world by passenger traffic, the sixth-busiest cargo airport in world, the busiest airport for Airbus A380 and Boeing 777 movements, and the busiest airport in the world operating with only two runways.

In 2017, DXB handled 88 million passengers, 2.65 million tonnes of cargo and registered 409,493 aircraft movements.

It cost around $6 billion to build Dubai International Airport.

The airport boasts a satellite concourse with 28 gates, 42 loading bridges, and 221 check-in counters, along with a 100-room, five-star luxury hotel, conference, business and entertainment centers, and restaurants.

It is a major contributor to the Dubai tourism and economy, contributing about $27Billion annually.

The giant airport also employs over 90,000 people.

13 Likes

Re: See The 10 Most Expensive Airports Ever Built In The World(Photos) by Explorers(m): 10:23am On May 15, 2018
5. Beijing Capital International Airport (PEK), Beijing, China

Cost: $8 billion.

Beijing Capital International Airport is the main international airport serving Beijing.

It is located 32 km (20 mi) northeast of Beijing's city center, one of the largest airport terminal in the world and the sixth largest building in the world by area.

Beijing Capital International Airport covers 1480 hectares of land.

The airport registered 557,167 aircraft movements (take-offs and landings), ranking 6th in the world in 2012.

In terms of cargo traffic, Beijing airport has also witnessed rapid growth. By 2012, the airport had become the 13th busiest airport in the world by cargo traffic, registering 1.7million tons.

The baggage area can take 19,000 pieces of bags in one hour.

9 Likes

Re: See The 10 Most Expensive Airports Ever Built In The World(Photos) by Explorers(m): 10:24am On May 15, 2018
4) London Heathrow Airport (LHR), London, United Kingdom.

Cost: $10.5 Billion

The major international airport in London, United Kingdom. Heathrow is the second busiest airport in the world by international passenger traffic, as well as the busiest airport in Europe by passenger traffic, and the sixth busiest airport in the world by total passenger traffic.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: See The 10 Most Expensive Airports Ever Built In The World(Photos) by Drniyi4u(m): 10:24am On May 15, 2018
How much does Daura helipad cost? grin

EzendiEgo1:

So Explore you no get Shame at all,What do you do to feed yourself?

You will just bring out your time to be wasting on unless info.
Hundreds of people don't see those info as useless sir. I've learnt so much through him.

20 Likes

Re: See The 10 Most Expensive Airports Ever Built In The World(Photos) by Explorers(m): 10:25am On May 15, 2018
3. Al Maktoum International Airport (DWC), Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Cost: $12 billion

An international airport in Jebel Ali, 37 kilometres southwest of Dubai, United Arab Emirates that opened on 27 June 2010.

Since 2010, Al Maktoum International Airport has expanded to include five runways of 16,000 feet each, three huge passenger terminals and 100,000 parking spaces.

2 Likes

Re: See The 10 Most Expensive Airports Ever Built In The World(Photos) by hisgrace090: 10:26am On May 15, 2018
But Nigeria can spend 10billion dollars to build ordinary local airport.

Looting and sharing thing continues.

11 Likes

Re: See The 10 Most Expensive Airports Ever Built In The World(Photos) by Explorers(m): 10:26am On May 15, 2018
2. Hong Kong International Airport (HKG)

Hong Kong

Cost: $20 billion

Built on an artificial island, it took approximately six years for the Hong Kong International Airport to be completed.

Hong Kong International Airport is an important contributor to Hong Kong's economy, with approximately 65,000 employees.

More than 100 airlines operate flights from the airport to over 180 cities across the globe.

In 2015, HKIA handled 69 million passengers, making it the 8th busiest airport worldwide by passenger traffic.

Since 2010, it has also surpassed Memphis International Airport to become the world's busiest airport by cargo traffic.

8 Likes

Re: See The 10 Most Expensive Airports Ever Built In The World(Photos) by Explorers(m): 10:27am On May 15, 2018
1. Kansai International Airport (KIX), Osaka, Japan

Cost: $20 billion

Kansai International Airport is also built on a 2.5-mile-long artificial island in Osaka.

There is enough space for 5 planes to take off or land at the same time.

A large seawall was designed around the airport to protect it from ocean waves.

A $1 billion bridge connects the island to The mainland.
Lalasticlala

12 Likes

Re: See The 10 Most Expensive Airports Ever Built In The World(Photos) by Nobody: 10:27am On May 15, 2018
No pictures
Re: See The 10 Most Expensive Airports Ever Built In The World(Photos) by Aldebaran(m): 10:29am On May 15, 2018
grin

1 Like

Re: See The 10 Most Expensive Airports Ever Built In The World(Photos) by daveP(m): 10:30am On May 15, 2018
Sometimes, cos it's too good to be true, you'll wana get tired of exploring. But not with our Explorers.

Minster of Adventure and Tourism of Nairaland!!!! Protector of the knowledge realm, and hand of the King!!!

All hail the minister.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: See The 10 Most Expensive Airports Ever Built In The World(Photos) by Shugaboy1: 10:35am On May 15, 2018
IF NOT EXPLORER WETIN I DE DO HERE
Re: See The 10 Most Expensive Airports Ever Built In The World(Photos) by Explorers(m): 10:54am On May 15, 2018
daveP:
Sometimes, cos it's too good to be true, you'll wana get tired of exploring. But not with our Explorers.

Minister of Adventure and Tourism of Nairaland!!!! Protector of the knowledge realm, and hand of the King!!!

All hail the minister.

Lol.....I pray o.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See The 10 Most Expensive Airports Ever Built In The World(Photos) by tofolo(m): 11:10am On May 15, 2018
daveP:

Minster of Adventure and Tourism of Nairaland!!!! Protector of the knowledge realm, and hand of the King!!!

All hail the minister.
to much game of thrones abi? cheesy

3 Likes

Re: See The 10 Most Expensive Airports Ever Built In The World(Photos) by vincentjk(m): 11:21am On May 15, 2018
Apc promised to build one for Nigerians tho grin grin
Re: See The 10 Most Expensive Airports Ever Built In The World(Photos) by MOSTEC(m): 11:24am On May 15, 2018
Lagos,port Harcourt and Abuja's airports can never be found on the top 100 list....

Never !

I denounce my Nationality as a Nigerian

1 Like

Re: See The 10 Most Expensive Airports Ever Built In The World(Photos) by kingreign(m): 11:29am On May 15, 2018
EzendiEgo1:

So Explore you no get Shame at all,What do you do to feed yourself?

You will just bring out your time to be wasting on useless info.

Stop doing this guy

What a waste of space by a waste of skin. undecided

8 Likes

Re: See The 10 Most Expensive Airports Ever Built In The World(Photos) by lovelylad: 12:16pm On May 15, 2018
i have seen The 10 Most Expensive Airports Ever Built In The World now whats next?

1 Like

Re: See The 10 Most Expensive Airports Ever Built In The World(Photos) by Explorers(m): 1:19pm On May 15, 2018
Inside the Heathrow control tower where aircrafts are guided to takeoff and land in one of the world’s busiest airports.

It handles about 1,300 flights a day.

3 Likes

Re: See The 10 Most Expensive Airports Ever Built In The World(Photos) by cayesworld(m): 1:26pm On May 15, 2018
lovelylad:
i have seen The 10 Most Expensive Airports Ever
Built In The World now whats next?
Visit them all

6 Likes

Re: See The 10 Most Expensive Airports Ever Built In The World(Photos) by MissJoy29(f): 1:29pm On May 15, 2018
MOSTEC:
Lagos,port Harcourt and Abuja's airports can never be found on the top 100 list....

Never !

I denounce my Nationality as a Nigerian
100 or 1000? grin
We are too far to see those in number 100. MMIA is like a cubicle

5 Likes

Re: See The 10 Most Expensive Airports Ever Built In The World(Photos) by MissJoy29(f): 1:42pm On May 15, 2018
daveP:

All hail the minister.
I can never get tired of learning. Especially when it has to do with topics like this. Something that has to do with aeroplanes. I know ALL, I mean the names of ALL the planes that fly in & out of Lagos just by their logo. I even know the time they all takeoff and land. I just hear the sound of an aircraft, check the time and I will tell you the one that's touching down.

I was probably "cursed" with the knowledge curse. And Mr Explorers knows how to feed my insatiable thirst.

3 Likes

Re: See The 10 Most Expensive Airports Ever Built In The World(Photos) by chicoMX(m): 1:43pm On May 15, 2018
Nobody should quote me,

Explorers please, where MMA dey for the list?
Re: See The 10 Most Expensive Airports Ever Built In The World(Photos) by lovelylad: 1:52pm On May 15, 2018
cayesworld:
Visit them all
Amen

1 Like

Re: See The 10 Most Expensive Airports Ever Built In The World(Photos) by yarimo(m): 2:27pm On May 15, 2018
EzendiEgo1:

I doubt if you guys ever heard or know about Biafra Airport. Between 1967-1970 it was the largest civilian airlift,
....Modified...

What I said before was too bad, I have to modify my comment in order not to be ban.
don't worry we all know this is what you are doing when you post that first comments

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Enugu Airport Safety: State Government Orders Relocation Of TV Mast / Worst Accident You Have Ever Been Involved / FG To Shut Section Of Third Mainland Bridge In January 2024

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.