Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,078 members, 7,818,230 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:46 AM

Lagos Can Never Be Compared With Abuja - Lady Blasts Lagosians - Travel (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos Can Never Be Compared With Abuja - Lady Blasts Lagosians (67555 Views)

Lagosians Turn 'Spidermen' To Pass Flooded Road (Photo) / See How Lagosians Sleep In Buses On Their Way To Work In The Morning (PHOTOS) / Lagosians, Why Are We Like This? (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Can Never Be Compared With Abuja - Lady Blasts Lagosians by CaptainFM1: 2:48pm On May 17, 2018
obataokenwa:
one of the points the lady sited was lagosians are always angry and you easily exhibit all what she said in all your comments. I dont interact with angry people. Dont abuse people youve not met before you make your points. Thanks. Goodnight bro

Pele!
Re: Lagos Can Never Be Compared With Abuja - Lady Blasts Lagosians by obataokenwa(m): 2:53pm On May 17, 2018
CaptainFM1:

Pele!
Bro, pls dont compare houses in Maitama to that of Banana Island. The beauty of Abuja surprises us all here even if you ply the roads all day.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Can Never Be Compared With Abuja - Lady Blasts Lagosians by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 4:09pm On May 17, 2018
SalamRushdie:
Comparing two glorified slums is madness on it owns .

Don't comment without something reasonable too say.
Abuja is a slum ? On what planet ?
Abuja is better planned than many European or American cities.
Re: Lagos Can Never Be Compared With Abuja - Lady Blasts Lagosians by laudate: 4:11pm On May 17, 2018
goldcoinhub:
A certain Abuja based lady identified as Bibian Chinenye Pius-Urum has taken to to Facebook to give a narration on which city is better between the nation's capital Abuja and Lagos. According to her argument, Abuja should never be compared to Lagos as the standard of living is extremely higher in the capital city.

Read her post below:

https://lailasnews.com/lagos-can-never-be-compared-with-abuja-lady-blasts-lagosians/

This girl is too daft for words. sad What year did she move to Abuja? And where does she live, within Abuja? shocked There are parts of Abuja, (especially on the outskirts) that are nothing more than glorified slums. And there are a few areas where you would hit quite a bit of traffic, when going from densely populated areas towards the city centre in Abuja. Going from Kurudu through Karu to Asokoro, you would often go through some measure of traffic. Or going from Nyanya to Wuse II for instance - it is not always a smooth, free ride in the mornings. undecided

There are slums in Abuja, just like there are slums in Lagos. sad And there are high brow houses and estates within Lagos, just like those that exist in Abuja. If you live in Ikoyi, or Onikan or Lekki Ph1, you would get to the Law School in Victoria Island in less than 40 minutes, every single morning. So what rubbbish is she talking about? Traffic congestion is a function of population, distance and available road networks.

As at 2017, Nigeria had an estimated vehicle population of 11.5 million vehicles, with more than one-quarter of them being concentrated in Lagos. undecided Abuja is reported to have just a little over 6 million residents, compared with Lagos with over 18 million people. So what makes her think that traffic in Lagos, would not be worse than it is in Abuja? Apart from that, Abuja is a carefully planned city which was conceived from scratch, and just built up in the '80s and '90s. Abuja as a city is less than 30-40 years old. Compare that to Lagos which started functioning as a capital city from colonial times, and has infrastructure that dates back to several years before independence. sad The girl needs to be re-educated. She should stop comparing oranges with pineapples and cocoyams, abeg!

megafaraday:
If u check where she lives now you will be surprised to know its gwagwalada or mararaba. All forming Abuja. Twee....*spits*

Abi, o! shocked No mind am. She is talking as if there are no slums or dirty places in Abuja. sad Hasn't she heard of Mpape, Kpaduma and Mabushi which are nothing, but large glorified slums within Abuja?

Abuja was designed to have a population of 1.6 million people, and expandable at its sides to 3.2 million people. This plan, however, did not anticipate an influx of people into the capital, as the population is currently around 6 million, according to the Minister of FCT, Muhammad Bello.

Abuja is regarded as the most planned city in Nigeria, but the authorities in FCT have cited unexpected influx of people, and the eventual overstretching of infrastructure, as the major reason for the increase in slums in the capital.

Slums everywhere in the capital city.

Checks by icirnigeria.org show that slums are fast taking up undeveloped plots of land in the capital city.

Apart from Central Business Area and Wuse, it was discovered that every other district in the capital city has sordid slums that present an ugly picture of Abuja, which was once thought to be the fastest growing capital city in Africa.
https://www.icirnigeria.org/abuja-midst-slums-story-fast-decaying-city/

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Can Never Be Compared With Abuja - Lady Blasts Lagosians by SalamRushdie: 4:23pm On May 17, 2018
IamaNigerianGuy:

Don't comment without something reasonable too say.
Abuja is a slum ? On what planet ?
Abuja is better planned than many European or American cities.

Abeg take you mediocrity accepting mind state away from my mention today
Re: Lagos Can Never Be Compared With Abuja - Lady Blasts Lagosians by thunderbabs: 4:24pm On May 17, 2018
nairamaniac:

U are the biggest liar in the universe.

Na only abuja highways you dey pass ni?
Re: Lagos Can Never Be Compared With Abuja - Lady Blasts Lagosians by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 4:26pm On May 17, 2018
SalamRushdie:

Abeg take you mediocrity accepting mind state away from my mention today

'Abuja is a slum' Even the worst critic if Nigeria will not say that. But you are in a class of your own aren't you ?
Re: Lagos Can Never Be Compared With Abuja - Lady Blasts Lagosians by SalamRushdie: 4:28pm On May 17, 2018
IamaNigerianGuy:

Take your stupid comments off public fora. You obviously know nothing. 'Abuja is a slum' Even the worst critic if Nigeria will not say that. But you are in a class of your own aren't you ?

I know you took your bath with Mai Ruwa water today in that Abuja so how do I expect you to know what a proper working urban system feels like .

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Can Never Be Compared With Abuja - Lady Blasts Lagosians by Iamthoney(m): 4:35pm On May 17, 2018
Wanted to take her serious until I saw her nose and mouth and I decided not to give any atom of fūck
Re: Lagos Can Never Be Compared With Abuja - Lady Blasts Lagosians by bigpicture001: 4:42pm On May 17, 2018
Nowenuse:

What do you mean not true? Lagos was Nigeria's capital from 1914 to 1992. .... That's 76 years!
count from.1960 wen it d nation attained freedom...

1 Like

Re: Lagos Can Never Be Compared With Abuja - Lady Blasts Lagosians by laudate: 4:43pm On May 17, 2018
BafanaBafana:
I was rushing here to blast the lady but see as I match break after reading the post.

One thing I observed about most lagosians is that they are totally ignorant of other parts of the country.

No, sir. sad If you understand the antecedents of Abuja and how it was developed, as well as how Lagos evolved and you compare both cities in terms of planning, population, infrastructure and road networks, you would see that the lady was comparing apples with bananas and cocoyams.

How old is Abuja? How old is Lagos? shocked Who planned Abuja, and who planned Lagos? Most of those living in Abuja today, did not grow up within the city and did not witness its evolution.

Abuja, as we speak has its own fair share of slums. How come she did not mention that? How come she did not compare rents in both cities, and the cost of living close to the centre centre & commercial districts in both places? Like someone said earlier, comparing New York and Washington, is just so untenable even though both are cities within America.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Can Never Be Compared With Abuja - Lady Blasts Lagosians by bigpicture001: 4:55pm On May 17, 2018
Nowenuse:

What do you mean not true? Lagos was Nigeria's capital from 1914 to 1992. .... That's 76 years!
..if tafawa balewa was ur leader in.post independent NIGERIA nd he never ruled the nation ffrom.lagos..then is lagos ur capital also remember, armaduras bello didn't also rule from.lagos..infact..it was mur talar muhammad that was the first northerner to rule from.lagos..now does it mean lagos was ur capital..when.even the queen of England was being serially hosted in the north and not lagos.........oga!.lagos has not reach 30yrs as capital of naija

1 Like

Re: Lagos Can Never Be Compared With Abuja - Lady Blasts Lagosians by integrity16(m): 4:55pm On May 17, 2018
Bobby4090:
Abuja, a city with no single manufacturing industry or economic resources, a town that is more of a holiday resort whose only viable activity are hotels and government offices now wants to mingle with Lagos, a city that controls 60% of Nigerias economy, 70% of its financial institutions, 90 % of its port importation, with virtually 100% of its telecoms and banking headquarters.
My dear, Nigeria can do without Abuja any day any time but shut the whole of Lagos down for two days and see the effects it will have on people even in villages in Sokoto.
All the vices found in Lagos are same in big cities. New York is full of go slow, has slums and it heavily congested when compared to Washington but you dare not compare the two cities even in your sleep.

You be correct man.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Can Never Be Compared With Abuja - Lady Blasts Lagosians by laudate: 4:56pm On May 17, 2018
CaptainFM1:
You made a very good and honest analysis of both cities. The lady seems to be comparing Maitama with Abule Egba! I bet she's yet to see the wonders coming up at Eko Atlantic city.
She doesn't need to go that far. undecided Banana Island is close by, so is VGC Estate. In fact, Lekki axis in Lagos, has so many estates, that would make her blink twice, and swallow her words.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Can Never Be Compared With Abuja - Lady Blasts Lagosians by laudate: 5:03pm On May 17, 2018
meobizy:
Mscheew. Lazy youths drawing up differences out of boredom.
The truth is Abuja is the better option and hence the reason it was made FCT. Most Lagosians are ignorant: they are born in Lagos, raised in Lagos and will die in Lagos, so everything in their lives revolve around Lagos.

I've stayed in Lagos, PHC and Abuja and truly prefer PHC to LAG because the traffic can give someone heart attack. Just the thought of passing through Lagos during a journey gives me HBP.
Overall I prefer ABJ though -- very cool, calm and organized city.

Do you even know how Abuja was developed? shocked Are you aware of when federal govt ministries relocated to Abuja, and married couples started sharing flats with other people, due to lack of adequate accommodation in the FCT? Do you have any idea of how Abuja was built from scratch, in the late 80s/'90s, and made the FCT?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Can Never Be Compared With Abuja - Lady Blasts Lagosians by laudate: 5:05pm On May 17, 2018
obataokenwa:
Limi Hospital dusts every hospital in Lagos. You guys have media and make a lot of noise on a singular achievement. Finally, Abuja should be the abroad of Lagosians simple. You want to have a taste of what abroad looks like? Visit Abuja

I pity your ignorance! shocked So Abuja is 'abroad' to you? What a pity!

ademoladeji:
She's so fcukin outta point.

To begin with, compare the population of both cities, how congested they are...

Uber can never bill you 7k from Maryland to VI with same traffic condition as between Kubwa and Nyanya for 1600. Also, Lagos is built up while Abuja isn't in same level because you can't find any road in lagos with same superb engineering design as that of Abuja.

On the issue of no bribe by civil servants... She absolutely got it all wrong. Kindly ask her to visit FCDA, FERMA, FIRS, AGIS to mention only a few. These government's agencies only live on unlawful extortion. The Abuja Police are one of the worse though better than the ones in Lagos. The worst police team in Abuja are found at under Berger bridge.

On pollution, it is nominal... all cities have slums. Tell me what you at Galadimawa village, Karimo, Gwagwa, Aleeta, Tudun Wada,Etc...?

We choose where we want based on desires n opportunities.

I've live in both cities but in all fairness, Enugu remains my best choice while Akure takes the Silver medal and Jos the bronze winner.

Gbam! You said it all....great analysis, bro.' undecided

1 Like

Re: Lagos Can Never Be Compared With Abuja - Lady Blasts Lagosians by Kennydoc(m): 5:28pm On May 17, 2018
EponOjuku:
Bibian Chinenye Pius Urum.

See this one hyping another person's land. They served Yorubas in Lagos, they're now serving Gwaris in Abuja.

Federal Slaves of Nigeria who don't have a single decent state developed by them.

Developed by them? I guess it's Gwaris that are developing Abuja, and Yorubas solely developed Lagos.
Nonsense and stupid talk!
Re: Lagos Can Never Be Compared With Abuja - Lady Blasts Lagosians by laudate: 5:34pm On May 17, 2018
malware:
She said her office is 13 minutes drive from home.... So how can she be in Gwagwalada?
Where is her office located within Abuja? sad If she also lived in a place that was 13 minutes away from her office in Lagos, would she witness any traffic?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Can Never Be Compared With Abuja - Lady Blasts Lagosians by laudate: 5:45pm On May 17, 2018
londoner:
I really don't get why people say the above.

There are many types of jobs in Abuja not just politics. Do establishments not have employees? Do the embassies, hotels, restaurants, real estate/ construction company's not have employees and owners? What about the markets, the banks? What about catering? The only Lagos specific jobs are those that are in some head quarters because they are located there, the wharfs and businesses to do with the ports. All other businesses are in both Lagos and Abuja so have people both owning and employed there.

We all know ashawos exist in both Lagos and Abuja.

There are major negatives that impact the lives of Lagosians negatively that just don't exist in Abj like the daily 'agbero toll' heaped on the heads of the poor, the frustrating traffic that affects both rich and poor. The noise pollution and general bad air quality. Let alone the aggressive and oppressive nature of Lagos and many of its people.

The main complaint Lagosions have about Abj is so called boredom or calmness. Never the aspects above that I pointed out about Lagos.

Leave dat side, Oga. sad Lagos has far more commercial enterprises, construction outfits, hotels, cafeterias, telecom offices, hospitals, chamber of commerce, seaports, private fuel depots, private universities, private schools etc than Abuja. Even when embassies moved to Abuja, a number of them left their consular offices in Lagos. Do you know how many large markets exist in Lagos state? Over 21 markets, from Ebute-Ero, to Oyingbo, Alaba International, Balogun market, Mushin market, Oshodi, Ladipo Auto spare parts market, Epe fish market etc.

Chances of you finding a product or service, is far higher in Lagos than Abuja. undecided How many banks exist in Abuja? They are all branches of existing banks, and the biggest branch cannot employ more than 10-12 people, compared with head office of such a bank that will have 80-120 people on ground, within its HQ premises. Abeg, make we leave matter for Matthias.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Can Never Be Compared With Abuja - Lady Blasts Lagosians by CaptainFM1: 5:51pm On May 17, 2018
obataokenwa:
Bro, pls dont compare houses in Maitama to that of Banana Island. The beauty of Abuja surprises us all here even if you ply the roads all day.

Pele!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Can Never Be Compared With Abuja - Lady Blasts Lagosians by CaptainFM1: 5:54pm On May 17, 2018
sprints1:
iceprince zamani

Re: Lagos Can Never Be Compared With Abuja - Lady Blasts Lagosians by Seun360(m): 6:32pm On May 17, 2018
shedybaba44:
at least I don't have to spend 4hrs to get to my office or wakeup 4am to prepare for work.I just hate traffic and point of correction uyo is my hometown, I had opportunity of moving to Lagos I turned it down twice, I only come for business trip or weekend flexing

Like i bloody care?
Re: Lagos Can Never Be Compared With Abuja - Lady Blasts Lagosians by piagetskinner(m): 6:53pm On May 17, 2018
there are better opportunities in Lagos than abuja.. unless u be big man pikin

I hate Lagos traffic.. abuja too get traffic but its on a minimal level..highest I've spent is probably 1hr from karu axis..

but Lagos mehn..3 and above and that can be very frustrating

I still prefer abj cos it's cool and calm
Re: Lagos Can Never Be Compared With Abuja - Lady Blasts Lagosians by londoner: 7:13pm On May 17, 2018
Mac2016:

Noted, ma. Is it Abuja you presently stay?

I'm from London ( born and raised) and I live there, but I have fallen in love with Abuja.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Can Never Be Compared With Abuja - Lady Blasts Lagosians by londoner: 7:21pm On May 17, 2018
laudate:

Leave dat side, Oga. sad Lagos has far more commercial enterprises, construction outfits, hotels, cafeterias, telecom offices, hospitals, chamber of commerce, seaports, private fuel depots, private universities, private schools etc than Abuja. Even when embassies moved to Abuja, a number of them left their consular offices in Lagos. Do you know how many large markets exist in Lagos state? Over 21 markets, from Ebute-Ero, to Oyingbo, Alaba International, Balogun market, Mushin market, Oshodi, Ladipo Auto spare parts market, Epe fish market etc.

Chances of you finding a product or service, is far higher in Lagos than Abuja. undecided How many banks exist in Abuja? They are all branches of existing banks, and the biggest branch cannot employ more than 10-12 people, compared with head office of such a bank that will have 80-120 people on ground, within its HQ premises. Abeg, make we leave matter for Matthias.

The above shouldn't surprise anybody given the population size of Lagos and it's former capital city and present commercial city status. The amount in Abuja makes sense as a reflection of its population.
Abuja has what it needs and is growing at a steady rate. They are not trying to clog up Abuja so that it ends up resembling Lagos. The only thing Abuja needs to learn from Lagos is the social side and this too is growing although slowly, I admit.

Even with all you've said, none of it will make me prefer Lagos, none.

There is a harmony with nature that needs to be kept balanced mind you.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Can Never Be Compared With Abuja - Lady Blasts Lagosians by londoner: 7:22pm On May 17, 2018
piagetskinner:

I hate Lagos traffic.. abuja too get traffic but its on a minimal level..highest I've spent is probably 1hr from karu axis..

Wow one hour us ALOT, was this at Christmas or something?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Can Never Be Compared With Abuja - Lady Blasts Lagosians by londoner: 7:22pm On May 17, 2018
piagetskinner:

Wow one hour us ALOT, was this at Christmas or something? What happened for you to be in traffic for one whole hour?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Can Never Be Compared With Abuja - Lady Blasts Lagosians by nairamaniac: 7:23pm On May 17, 2018
thunderbabs:

Na only abuja highways you dey pass ni?
U exaggerated.
Besides those places u mentioned, what both Wuse, Jabi, Utako, ?
They may not be world class, but they are way above average.
Re: Lagos Can Never Be Compared With Abuja - Lady Blasts Lagosians by Lsofdk(m): 7:25pm On May 17, 2018
DeOTR:
There's no basis for comparison. I know everywhere there is to know in both cities. Abuja is no where near Lagos.
And besides you can't cover a distance of 13km in 30 minutes anywhere in Abuja in the morning...not when you left home at 7:30 am.
Travelling that far from home to work, she's definitely residing outside the municipal or somewhere within AMAC a bit removed from the city center and there is nothing exciting about living in Abuja slums.
On a serious note, all the high-end neigbourhood in Abuja are equivalent to mid-level in Lagos, no hating.
The Abuja is just central Area which is in no way close. The only problem with Lagos is overpopulation.
Re: Lagos Can Never Be Compared With Abuja - Lady Blasts Lagosians by londoner: 7:27pm On May 17, 2018
nairamaniac:

U exaggerated.
Besides those places u mentioned, what both Wuse, Jabi, Utako, ?
They may not be world class, but they are way above average.

They are even building new areas every day. Whenever I visit Abuja, places I have never heard of are built, places I 'knew' have been developed. Even the extension areas that are being built to plan are something else. Even along Airport Road and places further, like Galadimawa are being developed. Slowly, yes but it's being done.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Can Never Be Compared With Abuja - Lady Blasts Lagosians by londoner: 7:36pm On May 17, 2018
laudate:

She doesn't need to go that far. undecided Banana Island is close by, so is VGC Estate. In fact, Lekki axis in Lagos, has so many estates, that would make her blink twice, and swallow her words.

It doesn't matter about the grand housing Lagos has, it's the way the city runs ( or is not run) which makes many people prefer Abuja. You can be rich and living in Lekki or Banana Island if you want, but you still know of the Lagos frustrations one way or the other.

You don't have to live in Asokoro or Maitama to feel the benefit of Abuja quality of life.
You can live well in Jabi or Wuse 2 or even Gwarimpa Estate or Lifecamp.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Can Never Be Compared With Abuja - Lady Blasts Lagosians by MiddleDimension: 8:02pm On May 17, 2018
londoner:

Lol My dear, it's just one bus station in Lagos that looks like that and it's just recently opened.

Nice as the station is, Abuja doesn't need a bus station that looks like that and if it wants one they can build it. People tend to use taxis rather than buses for transportation in Abuja in any case. In fact people are using trains in Abuja too.

big liar! those are different bus stations i showed you. the fact you couldnt recognize them means you have never been to Lagos before. Stay tuned and I will provide more photos of more bus stations.

People use those private sienas became self there is no integrated public transport system. The joke you call El rufai is your public transport system. But because it is a mockery of true public transport, is the reason people don't use it. It is also grossly inadequate! Place look for something else to say.

Meanwhile check out more decent public transport the Lagos style. For your info, they are fully air conditioned. Especially the ones from ikorodu to cms

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Where The Original Indigenes Of Abuja Now Live (pics, Video) / Welcome To Akure City (pictures) / Arinta Waterfalls In Ekiti And Its Mysteries (Pictures, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.