Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,712 members, 7,816,923 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:17 PM

Falz And His Shenanigan Lamentations Against Nigerian Church Universities - Education (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Falz And His Shenanigan Lamentations Against Nigerian Church Universities (54779 Views)

Your Education Policy Wicked, Against Nigerian Youth - ASUU Slams Buhari / Racial Bias Against Nigerian Causes Protest At Yale University. / JAMB Fixes Cut Off Marks For Universities, Polytechnics, Colleges Of Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Falz And His Shenanigan Lamentations Against Nigerian Church Universities by Leopantro: 12:37pm On May 27, 2018
DrayZee:

The purpose of the universities is to raise a standard better than the ones of the current public universities which are falling by the day.
If people had proper education, a job wouldn't be their only means of survival. Besides, I've seen a vast majority of Nigeria's graduates who can't even defend their degree. People like that can't get a job. This is the same Nigeria where you see a graduate of say, Unilag with a 2.2 claiming that he's better than his counterpart from another university with a first class.
We need a better standard of education to produce graduates who can appropriately defend their degree, thereby maximizing the achievements in their jobs as well as creating employment for the others. Graduates who think, not graduates who rant.

will the education guaranty their salvation. the aim of the church was for spiritual salvation and fulfilment. A place where the word of God was sought and his teachings via the holy spirit was impacted to his followers. at lease that's me thinking, not ranting. i have carefully read all your post and i can't find anywhere where the pursuit of God's mandate and knowledge was forefront. instead, you talked about standard of education, maximaizing intellectual achievement and economics of running a university.

remember there was schools of teaching when Jesus was alive but people left their work and such schools to sit at Jesus's feet to listen to his teaching. many were poor but he fed them with fish and bread.

will building of these universities glorify God's teachings or improve Man's understanding of Education?

1 Like

Re: Falz And His Shenanigan Lamentations Against Nigerian Church Universities by ladygudhead(f): 12:37pm On May 27, 2018
Everytime the poor, the poor,the pool when the church teach n give u incites (yes churches these days do educate members both spiritually n morally how to live above financial incapabilithes, they still choose to remain poor. If not for 'the church' today the world would have been worst than it is today. Yet we attack the church( christianity )
Re: Falz And His Shenanigan Lamentations Against Nigerian Church Universities by HeyCorleone(m): 12:39pm On May 27, 2018
LaExpert:

You want the Church to build free schools?

Clap for yourself...

I hope you'll pay the lectures, electricity bills, research costs and provide all other running costs.

Falz' contention was not on "free schools". His point was on the exorbitant fees. I mean ain't nothing wrong with Covenant charging 100-200k for fees. Worried about paying the staff?

You know how those missionary boys did it back then? Rather than employ teachers who would definitely increase the cost of running the school, the learned ones taught the students themselves. I mean ain't nothing wrong in a pastor with a degree in Engineering taking Engineering courses in a university as long as he's proficient. Such a pastor won't mind the little salary he receives because ultimately he's doing the work of God and his reward is in heaven.

1 Like

Re: Falz And His Shenanigan Lamentations Against Nigerian Church Universities by sangresan(m): 12:41pm On May 27, 2018
HigherEd:

You ask why churches build universities? That I'm sorry to say is very funny. The churches build universities to be able to pass the Christian ordinance into a youthful population. Having the opportunity to teach students the ways of God under the platform of secular education is too great an opportunity to pass by. To correct ills of the society by taking folks at their formative stage and serving as an incubation for their developments into morally equipped individuals with reverence and knowledge of God.

Now churches have been building universities even before the person who named Nigeria was born and even preceded the US government and European nations to establish them. The Harvard's, Yale, Notre dame, yonsei would never have existed without the church.

As per industry the church has no mandate in it. Why should the church build industries? To create wealth - it is not the role of the church to create wealth, To provide jobs - It is not the role of the church to provide jobs. Unlike Universities, industries don't serve any relevance to the mandate of the church or her gospel. Let Kings remain kings and priest remain priest.

The church continues to have a mandate in creating schools(especially primary and secondary), Orphanages, Rehabs and Hospitals. Skill acquisitions for members is ok, building income generating companies is taking it too far.

No church university in Nigeria today is for profit making. The most expensive one, Babcock is subsidized by 2% of her total budget by the adventist church. Apostolic church gives Crawford 350 million subsidy every year, CU gets above 2 billion grants from winners every year. Landmark has gotten 6 billion in the past few years(I can go on!)

Are Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Yonsei, Notre dame affordable to the poor? Shouldn't they have been created(by the church) because the poor couldn't afford them? Do you even know the purpose of creating universities. You think it is to share admission for people. Do you know the poor too would benefit most when the universities turn out great research, discoveries and product for the benefit of society?

Mockery? You sir are beginning to spout nonsense. The church universities which have run uninterrupted academic calendars, housed students like actual human beings, provided amenities the govt can't provide are suddenly the ones who are making a mockery of education. To take it further you are quite confused also. You just accused the church of profit mongering after slandering them for not investing in industries which are huge money spinners. It is safe to assume you would end up accusing the church of anything your imagination can create if they actually go into building industries. I know your type sir you would also accuse the church of building car industries with money of the poor while the poor can't afford it. Abi what are we supposed to do when we build cars that the poor can't afford. We should share the cars for free abi. After all with una thinking the church receives tithe and should be able to share free cars it produces

This guy is confused....
Re: Falz And His Shenanigan Lamentations Against Nigerian Church Universities by londoner: 12:41pm On May 27, 2018
ladygudhead:
Everytime the poor, the poor,the pool when the church teach n give u incites (yes churches these days do educate members both spiritually n morally how to live above financial incapabilithes, they still choose to remain poor. If not for 'the church' today the world would have been worst than it is today. Yet we attack the church( christianity )

I don't agree. There are lots of terrible things that have happened in the name of religion and Christianity is included. Without religion in Nigeria In THE WAY IT IS CURRENTLY 'PRACTICED' Nigeria would be a much better place. Religion has been a wedge between people and a paralyser to progress in Nigeria imho.

1 Like

Re: Falz And His Shenanigan Lamentations Against Nigerian Church Universities by princfred(m): 12:42pm On May 27, 2018
DrayZee:

Wow. Why will they fear reprisal when there are no cultists in those universities in the first place
It's like you've lost your points.
If you believe their are zero cultists in private universities you are simply delusional. Again, if churches want to upgrade government universities they can. If they want to establish things the poor can afford, they can.
Re: Falz And His Shenanigan Lamentations Against Nigerian Church Universities by LaExpert: 12:43pm On May 27, 2018
zomoears:

Seriously go and borrow brain cos yours aint working.

When the missionaries were doing it, was it a crime? They were funding these schools from collections and free will donations. Today's pastors are more interested in private jets and earthly wealth. Do you know how many free achools one private jet can fund and for how many years?

You are blindly defending these church guys as if they were God, while they twist the word of God to exploit people.

Let me educate you since you've decided to be ignorant.

Nothing is really 'free.'
Whatever is free to you must have been paid or is being paid for or will be paid for by someone else.

The 'free' schools you mentioned were being paid for by other people as you mentioned.
The present day schools owned by churches are still being heavily subsidized to keep that amount you perceive to be outrageous to be that low. Funding those schools 100% will be too much of a burden to any church...well, except the standard of the school will drop.

Do a small research; compare the fees of missionary schools below Covenant to the the fees of Covenant and come here to say the difference.

1 Like

Re: Falz And His Shenanigan Lamentations Against Nigerian Church Universities by zomoears(m): 12:44pm On May 27, 2018
ladygudhead:
Its so annoying when people keep saying "university built by the poor" who are 'the poor', can a poor man built university? Is sound education cheap? Is it possible for 'all the poor' to be offered free tuition? Are there not provision for scolarship for 'the poor',even in any school in the world? should 'a poor' contribute to build standard schools as there are and remain 'poor'? Even those that are saying their tithes are being used to acquire private jets, funny their tithes are just 50naira or they dont even pay regularly(and even giving grudgingly) , whereas the ones who sow huge sums dont even make noise. NB: This to any church that has school irrespective educatinal level. They built the school, did they also build the administration?

I smell disdain for poor people here. I also smell "entitlement" mentality, like you are a part of d corrupt church system Falz was highlighting.
Re: Falz And His Shenanigan Lamentations Against Nigerian Church Universities by lekanation(m): 12:45pm On May 27, 2018
CodeTemplar:
I am forced to reply folks like you through whom dark voices speak...
Industries or schools? As long as the church is taking up one or two responsibilities of the government that matches her own goals the church is doing more than enough for the government and people.

Even If the church builds industry you will still lament that illiterate church goers can't secure employment there because the church didn't build schools and educate them for almost free.

To even start with, the governments' responsibility isn't to create industries directly but to create an enabling environment for industries to thrive and compete globally. If the church must be the one to create industries let all who desire to work in those industries pay their tax to the Church and maintain a tax card as their social security ID.
compare federal university or state university's school fees to Christian owned university. mumu
Re: Falz And His Shenanigan Lamentations Against Nigerian Church Universities by princfred(m): 12:45pm On May 27, 2018
ladygudhead:
We try to make the church better with constructive criticism and advice. However you want to interpret it
Re: Falz And His Shenanigan Lamentations Against Nigerian Church Universities by tee4naija(m): 12:46pm On May 27, 2018
HigherEd:

You ask why churches build universities? That I'm sorry to say is very funny. The churches build universities to be able to pass the Christian ordinance into a youthful population. Having the opportunity to teach students the ways of God under the platform of secular education is too great an opportunity to pass by. To correct ills of the society by taking folks at their formative stage and serving as an incubation for their developments into morally equipped individuals with reverence and knowledge of God.

Now churches have been building universities even before the person who named Nigeria was born and even preceded the US government and European nations to establish them. The Harvard's, Yale, Notre dame, yonsei would never have existed without the church.

As per industry the church has no mandate in it. Why should the church build industries? To create wealth - it is not the role of the church to create wealth, To provide jobs - It is not the role of the church to provide jobs. Unlike Universities, industries don't serve any relevance to the mandate of the church or her gospel. Let Kings remain kings and priest remain priest.

The church continues to have a mandate in creating schools(especially primary and secondary), Orphanages, Rehabs and Hospitals. Skill acquisitions for members is ok, building income generating companies is taking it too far.

No church university in Nigeria today is for profit making. The most expensive one, Babcock is subsidized by 2% of her total budget by the adventist church. Apostolic church gives Crawford 350 million subsidy every year, CU gets above 2 billion grants from winners every year. Landmark has gotten 6 billion in the past few years(I can go on!)

Are Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Yonsei, Notre dame affordable to the poor? Shouldn't they have been created(by the church) because the poor couldn't afford them? Do you even know the purpose of creating universities. You think it is to share admission for people. Do you know the poor too would benefit most when the universities turn out great research, discoveries and product for the benefit of society?

Mockery? You sir are beginning to spout nonsense. The church universities which have run uninterrupted academic calendars, housed students like actual human beings, provided amenities the govt can't provide are suddenly the ones who are making a mockery of education. To take it further you are quite confused also. You just accused the church of profit mongering after slandering them for not investing in industries which are huge money spinners. It is safe to assume you would end up accusing the church of anything your imagination can create if they actually go into building industries. I know your type sir you would also accuse the church of building car industries with money of the poor while the poor can't afford it. Abi what are we supposed to do when we build cars that the poor can't afford. We should share the cars for free abi. After all with una thinking the church receives tithe and should be able to share free cars it produces

All these are mere excuses for exorbitant fees charged by the universities.
If they were set up to teach Christian doctrines, are the doctrines for only the children of the rich?
If it is not the role of the Church to create wealth, provide jobs etc, where do they expect the graduates churned out yearly to get employment after paying such outrageous fees for 4-5 years?
Tell us why the Catholic church, Anglican church, Methodists church etc that brought education did not charge such fees back then and limited enrollment to the children of the rich?
Nothing anyone can say to defend the gluttonous proprietors of such institutions can eliminate the fact that they are only out to MAKE MONEY!
Re: Falz And His Shenanigan Lamentations Against Nigerian Church Universities by Alaska90(m): 12:46pm On May 27, 2018
ibnchokomah:
T[b]o run a school is a costly venture quite alright but it's funny when you force a small parish to pay a given sum to fund the school monthly. I won't call names but I know of a church that tasks parishes 5k monthly for their university. I'm talking of parishes that do not remit up to 30,000 naira monthly. The only equipment they have are old sound systems with a keyboards, with rent of about 60k yearly on their heads too.

One that I know of, it's the pastor that pays the rent and the church doesn't care how they survive. All they want is their remittance and the 5k forwarded for school growth. Oh lest I forget, the pastor is my Father.[/b] You sit wherever you are typing trash about how money is needed to run the church but you won't ask yourself how it directly affects the small churches they have. With the story above why won't people say they take from the poor to build schools only the rich can afford?

If there was a good scholarship scheme that takes smart youths from these poor families to these schools, it'll have been better but heck when I wrote a scholarship exam although I had the highest score in my region, and above 85%, all I got was 30k for my 5 years of study. How fair is that?

These schools are built for profit and profit alone. It's not a mission school whatsoever but then Jesus' emphasis was on the poor. Las las what do I know? The church should be bold enough to say that these are profit driven enterprises and hike the price as much as they want, make it as standard as they want but they shouldn't do it at the EXPENSE OF POOR MEMBERS.

There's a welfare offering collected in church and more than 80% is remitted. An offering that doesn't amount to 2000. How on earth do they want member's welfare to be taken care of with just 200 naira. See OP don't make me annoyed this morning.

Thank you so much for your response and may the Lord bless your dad. I was not going to get involve before because it just too difficullt to educate people in this part of the world. The truth is that there is no more christianity in nigeria, what we have now is empire building and mammom worshipping. How can it be bibilically justified to collect from poor church branch like your dad's own to fund church Headquarters and schools. And the worst part of it is that the poor church could not pay her monthly rent and the pastor is now responsible for the rent!...so sad. In the new testament bible, money were collected from rich churches to fund the needs of poor churches. Thats the opposite of what we have now in nigeria.

The biblical primary role of the church is to prepare people of God for the second coming of our Lord Jesus christ and not to build schools and industries. its ungodly to collect from poor members in seed sowing, offerings, thithing, schools building contribuions etc to fund schools and empire building projects that have no direct benefits to them.

if the churches still want to build schools, they can get loans to build schools and charge any amount for the fees instead of taking from the poor

1 Like

Re: Falz And His Shenanigan Lamentations Against Nigerian Church Universities by Buffalowings3(m): 12:46pm On May 27, 2018
demolagilbert:
i needed to quote you cos i see pple do this sort of comparison a lot, and it is economically wrong. You need to consider purchasing power parity btw countries. You need to consider first what is the avg annual earning of a low to middle class person in that cairo, or the us or the uk or whichever countries you wanna juxtapose figures with. Then you consider the purchasing power parity of your country Nigeria, where the avg annual earning of someone who makes 120k a month, would be just about 2500+ dollars a year. Now consider, how many ppl in Nigeria in 2018 currently make even this abysmal 120k per month. That is how it is done. You dont compare someone who is the us doing a shoddy menial job and making 10 dollars or more an hour to Nigerian some of who are making 10 dolllars for a whole day job, whilst in a bank, wearing a tie, and thinking he is a big boy. With a year of savings a student who has a good side job like a nursing assistant in the US can save 15000 dollars, and buy a venza. Heck my ex just did. And she isn t evn middle class yet. some Apartments in california or new york can charge in tens of thousands a month. So such comparison without considering purchasing power parity, is a faulty one

Gracias
Re: Falz And His Shenanigan Lamentations Against Nigerian Church Universities by Infocitadel: 12:47pm On May 27, 2018
Nigerian youths.
let's channel this energy to the government and force them to do what is right.
and Nigeria will b a better place
Re: Falz And His Shenanigan Lamentations Against Nigerian Church Universities by idrisolayiwo(m): 12:51pm On May 27, 2018
Let's view it from this angle
If the tuition fee for these schools are low(somewhat in the range of 30-60k), then thousands of Nigerian students who cannot get admission into our public universities will come. Now let's do the maths
600k * 10 students in a department= #6million and 60k * 100= 6 million
All the church university will be doing is making school affordable, accommodating more less privileged students and also make more money.Simple
When the tuition fee is too high, u segregate ur members and u make education more accessible to more previleged
Also, ifchurch universities main purpose is to inculcate xtian teachings to iits members, why not make tuition fee less expensive and more attractive to everyone. The teachings I believe are not for the rich only. Let's ponder on that!.what do you think
Re: Falz And His Shenanigan Lamentations Against Nigerian Church Universities by leofab(f): 12:52pm On May 27, 2018
CodeTemplar:
But let us reasonable oh, How can a church extort a follower and the follower still goes there ? Use what God gave you na.
you are part of the gullible followers who will go back there... people love being deceived.
Re: Falz And His Shenanigan Lamentations Against Nigerian Church Universities by KaptainAfrika: 12:53pm On May 27, 2018
1. THEY CALL FOR CONTRIBUTIONS FOR A UNIVERSITY, POOR AND RICH CONTRIBUTE.
2. ONLY THE UPPER MIDDLE-CLASS AND RICH ARE ABLE TO ATTEND.
3. THEY MAY BE SCHOLARSHIPS BUT IT WON'T COVER EVERYONE WHO HAS CONTRIBUTED. IN FACT, IT IS RIDDLED WITH NEPOTISM AND SCANDAL.
4. THEY BOAST THEY RUN AN HEAVENLY ECONOMY BUT WILL TELL YOU THEY CAN'T MAKE THE SCHOOLS FREE.
5. CHURCH UNIVERSITIES ARE NOT THE SOLUTION BUT THE SYMPTOMS OF A FAILED EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM.
6. THEY ARE NOT TAXED AS THEY ARE NON-PROFIT, BUT THEY MAKE PROFITS FROM UNIVERSITIES FROM SALES OF MERCHANDISE, FOOD AND DRINK E.T.C.
7. THEY HAVE RULES AND REGULATIONS THAT CAN BE CHANGED, DEPENDING ON THE PARENT OF THE AFFECTED CHILD E.G. THE RECALL OF THE FORMER N.U.C CHAIRMAN'S SON AFTER EXPULSION FROM COVENANT UNIVERSITY E.T.C.

1 Like

Re: Falz And His Shenanigan Lamentations Against Nigerian Church Universities by tee4naija(m): 12:55pm On May 27, 2018
HigherEd:

I may need to school you again on what a profit making university is. Harvard with $25 billion endowment and 15 million naira/annum tuition is not a profit making university. Neither is Stanford nor Yale. That a university is collecting 10 million naira a year doesn't make it profit making. When we say a university is non profit. It simply means that the founders have elected to reinvest all revenue into the system.
The only faith based university in Nigeria that i am aware of being a profit making university is Alhikmah university which is Islamic.

Which yeye loophole. That is why you have a government you voted for. Even the Isrealites who had a thin line between Religion/State didn't expect nonsense from the synagogue. The church can't veer into full blown political governance and leave matters of spirituality relegate to the background. The essense of the church is to feed the spirit and soul not the belly. The church can give you food but does not have to give you a job.

Lol don't talk about an issue you know nothing of. NUC license more universities because there is shortage of universities. Nearly a million Nigerian youths are denied spaces every year in unis due to unavailable spaces.

What are you saying lol. The Adventist church has over 100 universities splashed across USA and Europe. There is no organisation in the world that owns half as much universities as the catholics. According to Professor Okebukola the catholic church has about 3,000 universities splattered across the globe. The Church of Christ owns/affilited to hundreds of universities in North America. The baptist church owns about 70 universities in the US. Combine all the government universities in the US they don't have 1/10th of universities belonging to churches. And amazingly govt partly funds the church universities there too and they are still not free.

Stop this balderdash. So Alhikma university is the only faith-based university that is profit oriented just because it is Islamic? How lame? Arguing with people like you is a waste of time. Publish the tuition charged by Alhikma university and those of Church owned universities here for comparison and see your hypocrisy.

1 Like

Re: Falz And His Shenanigan Lamentations Against Nigerian Church Universities by frubben(m): 12:56pm On May 27, 2018
DrayZee:

My God. I never said anything about all these na. Look for the correct person you wanted to quote. Ahn ahn.
o sori. where the guy
Re: Falz And His Shenanigan Lamentations Against Nigerian Church Universities by Jasmine79: 12:56pm On May 27, 2018
HigherEd:

The only faith based university in Nigeria that i am aware of being a profit making university is Alhikmah university which is Islamic.

Your epistle was making sense, until you typed that!...does that not sound biased to you?...otherwise if you'd done your research properly, you would find that The School is being funded by WAMY!
Re: Falz And His Shenanigan Lamentations Against Nigerian Church Universities by BIXYBABE: 1:00pm On May 27, 2018
HigherEd:

We are simply asking many of these entitled folks to tell us where you got your ideas of an utopia where church uni run without charging fees. Yale, Princeton, Harvard came into the argument because they were founded by churches of their clergies. But if you think that is too hard to process then tell us how Yonsei, regeant, pepperdine, Oral Roberts uni, biola uni, Loyola Marymount uni, oakwood uni, villanova uni, leeward, Georgetown uni, St Andrews uni all founded and in many cases still run by churches charge millions of naira that dwarf the tuition of Nigerian church unis.
Why are people in those countries not screaming like many of the idiots in Nigeria. Maybe it's because they understand a thing or two about what it cost to run a university.

Why are their poor not screaming blue murder against the church for allowing their unis charge them thousands of dollars in fees which results in ppl taking back breaking loans to pay. Their poor also pay tithe and offerings, not to talk of the huge financial aid their govt still gives to private universities. Catholic uni of Notre dame collected millions of USD from US every year yet the school fees is 45,000USD.

The best private uni in Africa is American Univ of Cairo which charges 14,000USD while Covenant is the second and charges about 3,000USD. Let that sink in.

DrayZee CodeTemplar made important point on the so called call for industries. And let me reiterate that many universities funded by churches even have more employees than some industries. But be rest assured that when churches go into industries you would hear demonic things like "how can church build an auto industry when members can't afford the cars they make." That's the insanity of the Nigerian populace they deliberately forget the churches to employ ppl through universities and draw out the fact that poor people can't attend. Covenant for instance has over 2000 families feeding from it. But no let's forget that and focus on the 850,000 fees that the poor cannot pay.
_Only 50,000 self my parent will run up and down
Re: Falz And His Shenanigan Lamentations Against Nigerian Church Universities by flamingREED(m): 1:01pm On May 27, 2018
Mehn.

Believers proving to the world that we're smarter.

All the believers that responded to this issue, especially in the front page,

DESERVE MY RESPECT.

I'M SATISFIED.
Re: Falz And His Shenanigan Lamentations Against Nigerian Church Universities by zomoears(m): 1:03pm On May 27, 2018
LaExpert:

Let me educate you since you've decided to be ignorant.

Nothing is really 'free.'
Whatever is free to you must have been paid or is being paid for or will be paid for by someone else.

The 'free' schools you mentioned were being paid for by other people as you mentioned.
The present day schools owned by churches are still being heavily subsidized to keep that amount you perceive to be outrageous to be that low. Funding those schools 100% will be too much of a burden to any church...well, except the standard of the school will drop.

Do a small research; compare the fees of missionary schools below Covenant to the the fees of Covenant and come here to say the difference.

You can keep your "education", it is for gullible people who dont have the insider information that I have. I know about cost of running these Universities and how much they make.
Not to deviate from d crux of the matter, Falz said "there is no law that allows you to take money from the church, invest in business, and privatise it". Go and check the laws of the land. Because we dont obey law in Nigeria, una de do anyhow. Falz is a lawyer.

Go and try this in UK or other serious societies where law and order is upheld. Charities have rules spelling out how they are to be run.

1 Like

Re: Falz And His Shenanigan Lamentations Against Nigerian Church Universities by DrayZee: 1:03pm On May 27, 2018
Leopantro:

will the education guaranty their salvation. the aim of the church was for spiritual salvation and fulfilment. A place where the word of God was sought and his teachings via the holy spirit was impacted to his followers. at lease that's me thinking, not ranting. i have carefully read all your post and i can't find anywhere where the pursuit of God's mandate and knowledge was forefront. instead, you talked about standard of education, maximaizing intellectual achievement and economics of running a university.

remember there was schools of teaching when Jesus was alive but people left their work and such schools to sit at Jesus's feet to listen to his teaching. many were poor but he fed them with fish and bread.

will building of these universities glorify God's teachings or improve Man's understanding of Education?
Why are you talking as if you've not heard of Covenant University before?
Is it not people like you that are always complaining about church universities and their strict insistence on Christianity. Calling them advanced secondary schools because they don't allow pointless youthful exuberance.
Now you're asking all these questions.
It's like you just came here to ask random questions. Covenant University does all that you're asking about now. And that wasn't even a topic for discussion on this thread because everyone knows how strict the universities and their rules on religion are. Na wa oh.
Re: Falz And His Shenanigan Lamentations Against Nigerian Church Universities by tragergeorge(m): 1:05pm On May 27, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Tithe is voluntary unlike tax. If pastors are to provide a working society for members don't you think Muslims and nonbelievers are being left out?

Let FG relinquish 5 or 10 juicy oil wells to the church and we will see church providing cheap populated schools like UNIZIK and UNILAG.
what is this one saying here na, you don defend sote u no get wetin to talk again abi
Re: Falz And His Shenanigan Lamentations Against Nigerian Church Universities by DrayZee: 1:07pm On May 27, 2018
princfred:
If you believe their are zero cultists in private universities you are simply delusional. Again, if churches want to upgrade government universities they can. If they want to establish things the poor can afford, they can.
You know what? Fine. So to you, the 4 or 5 cultists out of thousands of students (who know they'll get expelled and imprisoned if they try rubbish) are enough to cause a reprisal. Well done. Continue.
No one will build on a faulty foundation when they can establish a completely new one. Peace.
Re: Falz And His Shenanigan Lamentations Against Nigerian Church Universities by Augustenite(m): 1:07pm On May 27, 2018
DrayZee:
These people asking the church for industries, please just name some of the "industries" that would be appropriate to be built by a church.
Should the church begin to manufacture steel? Or assemble cars? Or sell cement?
Really, what do you people want? Or is it that you people just feel like typing?
Bro, dey can as well invest in the health sector where all their members both the rich and the poor can benefits. Not having 2 universities . what is the essence of producing jobless graduate. More also, must all of them have a university, some of them should think of building a technical colleges where they will train and at the end equipped their graduates with necessary startup equipment, so from there reducing the rate of unemployment and helping the poor in their church. Either you like it or not .THEIR MAIN AIM IS TO MAKE MORE MONEY INTO THEIR SELFISH POCKET AND NOT TO ASSIST THE SOCIETY.

1 Like

Re: Falz And His Shenanigan Lamentations Against Nigerian Church Universities by sangresan(m): 1:07pm On May 27, 2018
Junior66:

As an educated person you should know that the missionary schools were not free in the sense you are making it. Those schools were paid for by the mother churches of the missionaries abroad. Oyibo people paid for us to be given free education so it was not free.

Oyinbo paid for us?

You think Oyinbo people were so generous?

Now, educate us....Tell us how Oyinbo people in Europe paid for our education rather than the fact that our fathers pooled resources together to educate their communities.
Re: Falz And His Shenanigan Lamentations Against Nigerian Church Universities by sprints1: 1:08pm On May 27, 2018
HigherEd:

I may need to school you again on what a profit making university is. Harvard with $25 billion endowment and 15 million naira/annum tuition is not a profit making university. Neither is Stanford nor Yale. That a university is collecting 10 million naira a year doesn't make it profit making. When we say a university is non profit. It simply means that the founders have elected to reinvest all revenue into the system.

Which yeye loophole. That is why you have a government you voted for. Even the Isrealites who had a thin line between Religion/State didn't expect nonsense from the synagogue. The church can't veer into full blown political governance and leave matters of spirituality relegate to the background. The essense of the church is to feed the spirit and soul not the belly. The church can give you food but does not have to give you a job.

Lol don't talk about an issue you know nothing of. NUC license more universities because there is shortage of universities. Nearly a million Nigerian youths are denied spaces every year in unis due to unavailable spaces.

What are you saying lol. The Adventist church has over 100 universities splashed across USA and Europe. There is no organisation in the world that owns half as much universities as the catholics. According to Professor Okebukola the catholic church has about 3,000 universities splattered across the globe. The Church of Christ owns/affilited to hundreds of universities in North America. The baptist church owns about 70 universities in the US. Combine all the government universities in the US they don't have 1/10th of universities belonging to churches. And amazingly govt partly funds the church universities there too and they are still not free.
don't compare Nigerian universities with Harvard university and u can't compare the economy of the USA with that of Nigeria devaluation inflation everywhere with an average Nigerian making less than #600,000 per annum what are I telling me....do ur reaserch carefully before involving universities with more prestige and excellence with all these profit making church Nigerian universities, yes they have the facilities but the competence is missing...
Re: Falz And His Shenanigan Lamentations Against Nigerian Church Universities by kennypoka2(m): 1:09pm On May 27, 2018
DrayZee:

Something less costly. I presented that opinion to someone and he was talking rubbish.
So, you'd prefer a sub-standard university that's no different from the public universities you're trying to run away from?
I think the better option is the scholarships that are being awarded. That way, you get to go to a premium university, coerced to maintain your grades and behavior so you don't lose the scholarship.

They can run a standard university and make better avenues for more poor people to attend such institutions. Every Christian leader should answer this question, are these universities in line with God's teaching? Because if it is, then I don't understand the objectives of the church anymore. I have friends that after their study in these so-called universities are still looking for jobs. We can't keep justifying these practices and expect changes in our country. If these leaders that claim to be serving same God can't come together and think of ways to include the poor in their educational scheme, then what's the point? The world should be separated from the church. The way things are done in anything church-related is different. Because God is concerned about winning more souls and if anything they're doing is not winning souls then why do it? They all want to build universities even one that just started yesterday. The church I attend are seriously tasking the members to complete their university but their secondary schools and primary school are nothing to write home about. Instead of aiming to build universities that doesn't cater to the poor, why not just concentrate on the secondary schools, make it better, bigger and more conducive for children to attend. I believe building universities without including the poor in the agenda is wrong and evil and shouldn't be encouraged. These churches are meant to be the moral pillar of the society, with them around, the nation is meant to be better. But, reverse is the case in Nigeria... I'm not blaming religion for where we are presently but I can boldly say they contributed to it.
Re: Falz And His Shenanigan Lamentations Against Nigerian Church Universities by CodeTemplar: 1:11pm On May 27, 2018
lekanation:
compare federal university or state university's school fees to Christian owned university. mumu
If you read the OP well your brain will realize that FG subsidizes the average Uni Ibadan student by 430,000 per year and N1.7m four 4 years. Who is the mumu here?

1 Like

Re: Falz And His Shenanigan Lamentations Against Nigerian Church Universities by sangresan(m): 1:11pm On May 27, 2018
Augustenite:

Bro, dey can as well invest in the health sector where all their members both the rich and the poor can benefits. Not having 2 universities . what is the essence of producing jobless graduate. More also, must all of them have a university, some of them should think of building a technical colleges where they will train and at the end equipped their graduates with necessary startup equipment, so from there reducing the rate of unemployment and helping the poor in their church. Either you like it or not .THEIR MAIN AIM IS TO MAKE MORE MONEY INTO THEIR SELFISH POCKET AND NOT TO ASSIST THE SOCIETY.

Kudos bro....

Have you noticed that these churches have mostly refused to invest in Polytechnics and Colleges of Education?

That's to show you that their intention is contrary to the narrative being sold us on Nairaland...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (22) (Reply)

See My Jamb Result (screenshot) / Michael Okpara University (MOUAU) 2014/2015 postume form on sale / UNN Exam Question After 8 Months Of ASUU Strike (Pictured)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.