Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,340 members, 7,811,988 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:02 AM

Father's Land Vs Birth Land - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Father's Land Vs Birth Land (3504 Views)

Picture Of A Gallant Soldier That Died While Fighting For His Father's Land. / Osun 2014: Who Owns Father's Land / Dying To Serve My Father Land( Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by Rastamann: 7:20pm On May 29, 2010
If the father land or birth land is like Nigeria, then fashy. In fact, I will curse my mama if she as a Nigerian go born me for another yeye country.
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by Nobody: 7:23pm On May 29, 2010
UcheUwadi_:

I share your sentiment as well. My mother is Black American and my father is Igbo. That being said, I have a strong attachment to my father's land though and I recognize that I am Igbo.

However, if you talk to me, I have an American accent and I was raised in the United States. I feel people who are made up of different ethnicities or races should give respect to all of their heritages.
You would. You're lucky, because a lot of AA wish they could belong to somewhere.

I met this AA lady at the African Student Union, she told me how she wished she knew where she's from and her identity. Thatz why she loves the organization.

And of course, you would pick your father's lady. . . .
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by UcheUwadi(m): 7:27pm On May 29, 2010
FL Gators:

You would. You're lucky, because a lot of AA wish they could belong to somewhere.

I met this AA lady at the African Student Union, she told me how she wished she knew where she's from and her identity. Thatz why she loves the organization.

And of course, you would pick your father's lady. . . .

That is what many of my family members say on my maternal side that I am indeed lucky. However, it does create some confusion being made up of different ethnicities. And the acceptance part as well. But that goes away when people get older and understand that it makes a person unique.

Yes, I do pick my father's land, but I do not forget the sacrifices the my mother's people made in this land as well. I claim the United States as well, because it was off the backs of my ancestors that this nation was built on. And I can never forget that.
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by sjeezy8: 7:49pm On May 29, 2010
honeric01:

^^^^

so do you mean the Yoruba Muslims are as violent and uncivilized as their counterpart in the north and have been hiding under the disguise of being peaceful just because a Yoruba is governing them?

but why do yorubas also keep money in igbo banks? why haven't they boycotted igbo banks in Lagos since it's not owned or governed by yorubas?

abeg no questions oo, no insult me please oo. tongue

I dont kno why you people are making a big deal. and its not yoruba vs igbo( as fulani, ijaw, calabar all the same to a yoruba) its more of people around Nigeria still cant govern a multi religous society like a yoruba.

and there no such thing as igbo bank and yoruba banks, people are there to make money. Thats like sayin a caucasian bank- that doesnt even make sense

ethnic minorities in America dont hold positions in Government- do you see black chinese mexicans not using banks with white employees?

If a non yoruba can keep peace in Lagos state without secretarian violence- great but I HIGHLY doubt it.

[size=13pt]Can an hausa become Governor of RIVER STATE or any southern state? [/size] If not then there no sense in arguing.

Like I said before Nigeria can always break up- doesnt matter to me and probably alot of yorubas. Everyone wants to be governor but doesnt know what it takes.
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by sjeezy8: 8:21pm On May 29, 2010
If you dont like it you can always leave Lagos. . .

Even the decendants of settlers from Brazil, Cuba, Ghana and beninoise in Lagos and who are now yorubas have been in Lagos for 200 years havent smelled the governors seat. lol Even Ijebu people, ijesa, are not even thinking about being Governor of LAGOS STATE and there all yorubas. you people are talking about ijaw igbo hausa and fulani.

you people better wake up Lagos Island was the capital of Nigeria not th rest of Lagos state(which was under the western governemnt), theyre are indigenous people in Badagry, Ikorodu, Agege, Lekki, Isale and such.

[size=14pt]not even ABOUT A YORUBA PERSON- EVEN AN ILE IFE MAN, IF HE THINKS HE CAN BECOME GOVERNOR OF LAGOS STATE HE IS FUKIN CRAZY. He should go back to his home TOWN in Osun. [/size]
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by asha80(m): 8:38pm On May 29, 2010
Was Bola tinubu a lagosian?^^^
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by bgees(m): 8:57pm On May 29, 2010
That a dog was born in a stable does not make it a horse.
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by sjeezy8: 9:07pm On May 29, 2010
asha 80:

Was Bola tinubu a lagosian?^^^

Yes
lets ask him
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by sjeezy8: 9:22pm On May 29, 2010
No big deal if Lagos ISLAND- becomes a state apart from the rest of Lagos, that state can have a governor from anywhere.

I mean its not life or death- things are the way it is in Nigeria to keep peace- If no one likes it

we can just break up. and every New country or state has its own Laws
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by bawomolo(m): 10:50pm On May 29, 2010
sjeezy8:

No big deal if Lagos ISLAND- becomes a state apart from the rest of Lagos, that state can have a governor from anywhere.

I mean its not life or death- things are the way it is in Nigeria to keep peace- If no one likes it

it can't be that way forever though.
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by Eddeux(m): 11:35pm On May 29, 2010

I'm not a Nigerian, so my say may not matter that much, but I lmao at simple comments like 'we can just break up.' Regardless of Nigeria, do you have any clue of how most breakups in other countries have occurred? All I gotta say is that it wasn't peaceful. lmao. Say in the worse case scenario, that Nigeria broke up, how would it happen? Would it be peaceful with Nigeria breaking up into two countries, 5, 10? I mean once the breakup starts there is no stopping other ethnic groups from calling for independence too.

A stark comparison, if countries like India and Indonesia can survive with hundreds of ethnic groups, religions, etc then why can't Nigeria? Are your people not capable of getting along with others who are not of the same ethnic group or religion?

All I do know is that if Nigeria breaks up, I'll just be watching here from America thikning "oops, there goes the 'giant' of Africa, maybe Ghana can lead West Africa to develop now  grin"
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by Eddeux(m): 11:38pm On May 29, 2010
I share your sentiment as well. My mother is Black American and my father is Igbo. That being said, I have a strong attachment to my father's land though and I recognize that I am Igbo.

However, if you talk to me, I have an American accent and I was raised in the United States. I feel people who are made up of different ethnicities or races should give respect to all of their heritages.

Too bad some people who are born to immigrant families here in America, or who's mother or father isn't from this country, all of a sudden decide that they're more loyal to some country thousands of miles away instead of the one that they've been nurished in for years. Not saying all are like this but I've met many who are and it disgusts me. Like seriously if they're gonna have that kind of attitude then they should just go back to their mother or father's country and don't bother coming back. angry undecided
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by simplychic(f): 12:37am On May 30, 2010
the poster of this topic is a trouble maker and a fool at the same time,why can't he turn the message the other way round & say that a yoruba man should come and govern anambra state,some people are just troublesome,they are never satisfied with what they have everybody have thier own region let the indegene rule his region,not that some ungrateful idiot who enjoyed free education in lagos state come back and bite thee fingers that fed them.
Thank god u're aware that it is your oil money they used in developing lagos,no problem go and develop your state too and be comfortable there,all you have is mouth igbo people developed lagos,fine go and develop your state too,abi na by force?
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by Kobojunkie: 12:52am On May 30, 2010
Eddeux:

[size=13pt]Like seriously if they're gonna have that kind of attitude then they should just go back to their mother or father's country and don't bother coming back.[/size] angry undecided

roflmao grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by sjeezy8: 12:53am On May 30, 2010
bawomolo:

it can't be that way forever though.

Only time can tell - thats why I said for now .  I personally have no problem where the Governor comes from but I know alot of christians( from every tribe) who will be like hell NO - to an hausa as governor of their own state under the impression he/she might implement Sharia into government or marginalization of their ethnic group.

and I also know alot of muslims(from different tribes) who would be opposed to an ijaw,igbo or urhobo christian because they will probably see everything he/she does as against islam or marginalization of their ethnic group.  

So I dont know why people think Lagos' case is any different, no country is perfect and every country has laws made specifically to address the problems of that country. In Nigeria you cant implement the same exact Laws as the United states.

Eddeux:

[color=#000099]I'm not a Nigerian, so my say may not matter that much, but I lmao at simple comments like 'we can just break up.' Regardless of Nigeria, do you have any clue of how most breakups in other countries have occurred? All I gotta say is that it wasn't peaceful. lmao. Say in the worse case scenario, that Nigeria broke up, how would it happen? Would it be peaceful with Nigeria breaking up into two countries, 5, 10? I mean once the breakup starts there is no stopping other ethnic groups from calling for independence too.

Nigeria can break up and people die with years of war between ethnicities.

Doesnt really matter to me cause Where im from in Nigeria there are no other ethnicities, to war with- So If Nigeria breaks up my own country might have minor BS conflicts between themselves(which happens in every country) but the splitting of more countries No. Cant say the same for the rest of Nigeria.

and I actually laughed at your comparison to India and Indonesia- WHERE THERE HAS BEEN RECENT BOMBINGS BY MINORITY RELIGIOUS GROUPS AND ETHNIC MINORITIES WHO CLAIM TO BE MARGINALIZED.

Its obvious you dont know wtf youre talkin about- If Nigeria is the Giant of Africa or the midget I dont care.
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by Eddeux(m): 1:21am On May 30, 2010
Nigeria can break up and people die with years of war between ethnicities.

Doesnt really matter to me cause Where im from in Nigeria there are no other ethnicities, to war with- So If Nigeria breaks up my own country might have minor BS conflicts between themselves(which happens in every country) but the splitting of more countries No. Cant say the same for the rest of Nigeria.

and I actually laughed at your comparison to India and Indonesia- WHERE THERE HAS BEEN RECENT BOMBINGS BY MINORITY RELIGIOUS GROUPS AND ETHNIC MINORITIES WHO CLAIM TO BE MARGINALIZED.

Its obvious you dont know wtf youre talkin about- If Nigeria is the Giant of Africa or the midget I dont care.

Perhaps I should have rephrased what I meant. IF Indonesia and India can remain relatively stable (Indonesia's last military coup was in 1965 if I'm right and India since its break-away from Pakistan has NEVER had a military coup) with solid economic growth and growing wealth for citizens then why can't Nigeria? Yes Nigeria has had damn near-awesome economic growth rates during the 00 decade but you do realize the nation could be much wealthier today had your leaders got their shit together in the past. I mean I don't know if it bothers you knowing that Nigeria is one of the world's largest importers of generators despite it having enough proven reserves to supply itself with all the power it needs? May I ask who will be your country's Manmohan Singh?  grin

You could say I dont know what I'm takling about but hey Nigeria's situation still looks pretty shitty from whatever viewpoin or knowledge one may have of it. 
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by cap28: 9:35am On May 30, 2010
Eddeux:

All I do know is that if Nigeria breaks up, I'll just be watching here from America thikning "oops, there goes the 'giant' of Africa, maybe Ghana can lead West Africa to develop now  grin" [/color]

i suggest you turn  your attention back to america and focus on the Poo. state of your country's own economy which is currently heading south rather than worry about nigeria being the giant of africa.

Have you thought about how america is going to pay back the $1 trillion it owes china and Japan?

Eddeux:

Too bad some people who are born to immigrant families here in America, or who's mother or father isn't from this country, all of a sudden decide that they're more loyal to some country thousands of miles away instead of the one that they've been nurished in for years. Not saying all are like this but I've met many who are and it disgusts me. Like seriously if they're gonna have that kind of attitude then they should just go back to their mother or father's country and don't bother coming back. angry undecided

Hmm so what do you say to italian americans who have their own neighbourhoods and who form organisations like the National Italian American Foundation which promotes their culture and customs and how about Irish americans who openly celebrate st patricks day in over 20 major cities in the US.

Just because you are ashamed of your african ancestry and are trying to assimilate into a culture that doesnt want you doesnt mean that other races should do the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Italian_American_Foundation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_American#Sense_of_heritage
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by presido1: 11:38am On May 30, 2010
Poster it seems you are neither there nor here, If you chose to represent your country of birth no problem but do they see you as one of them? or an opportunist. As Amir Khan once said "that he is not being celebrated coz he is not white" if he that has achieved things in his country of birth know that he is not fully accepted i really don't know how they will accept a benefit cheat as one of them(am not saying you are a benefit cheat).

bgees:

This says it all. We all know where Jesus Christ was born, does that make him an animal?
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by AngieFan(f): 12:13pm On May 30, 2010
cap28:

unfortunately for you the owners of the country that you claim to have been born and bred in do not see you as being one of them if they did you wouldnt have to struggle twice as hard to get half as much as the whites do - sad but true, therefore you can claim to be british born and bred but the harsh truth is that you remain black and alien in the white mans eyes.

God bless the child that has his own but God bless the child who is wise and doesnt shut his eyes to the truth

It always make me giggle when an immigrant pretends that he/she has the same experience as the next guy who has lived all their lives in a country just because they have the same skin colour. That is like me going to live in a Lagos for two weeks and making out like every person from Delta State is treated the same way as me because we are from the same place in Nigeria.

So Cap28 how is your experience in the UK as an immigrant the same as every Black person born and bred in Britain? I doubt your experience in Britain is even the same as my parents and their peers who came to the UK in the 1960s and made lives for their families so can you explain how it is the same  as mine? Why do you assume to know so much about my 'struggles'. Is it because we are both black? grin grin And who are the 'owners' of Britain, lol

presido1:

This says it all. We all know where Jesus Christ was born, does that make him an animal?

I don't like using Jesus' name in vain but was Jesus also raised in the stable?

Bad analogy anyway. Dogs and horses are not the same species as a human beings even though we are all animals (mammals).

However if that analogy must be used have you heard of the girl who spent the first 19 years of her life being raised by dogs or was that wolves? Read up about feral children. These are children raised by animals who have a hard time living with or as human beings once they are found.
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by AngieFan(f): 12:23pm On May 30, 2010
Serious questions

Why can't a Yoruba person born and raised in an indigenous Igbo state become the governor of that state or reap the benefits of that state? and vice versa.
Why can't a Itsekiri person born and raised in a Northern state become the governor of that state? and vice versa?
How comes Nigerians can be deported from one part of Nigeria to the other because they are not indigenous to the area of Nigeria they have chosen to live in?

Nigerians please answer honestly before you come in here criticising my choice to put my birth land first before my father or mother's land. My family are from Delta State and so it is highly unlikely that I would get a fair shot at anything in Nigeria because I am not from the correct ethnic group. At least in Britain where I was born and raised and know like the back of my hand I have a chance.
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by ELPRINCE: 12:28pm On May 30, 2010
dnt wory sme day wit me as d presido, tins gon change
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by Ranoscky(m): 12:36pm On May 30, 2010
Naija me born. Naija me large. Naija me represent! . . .  from da ghetto me ressureth! . . .  AJ CITY 4 REAL!
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by shilling(f): 5:14pm On May 30, 2010
This thread has been derailed so badly, thanks a lot OP.

Anyways, I choose Naija over my birthland. Although most people who know me think I would choose my birthland over Naija, because that's the country I always talk about (hello, I grew up there). But, in my heart - I know it's Naija for life!!
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by Tuyis: 10:01pm On May 30, 2010
Father's land, mother's land or wherever land, home is where the heart is. Wherever your heart is, is where I believe you would rather be.

If you are igbo and your heart is truly in Lagos, I believe that is your home and should be able to follow your dreams there.

But unfortunately, like William shakespeare said in Macbeth, "there's no art to find the mind's construction in the face" You can claim to love one place while your heart is firmly in another.
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by Ofido(m): 11:32pm On May 31, 2010
I think its time this clause "state of origin" is replaced wit "state of resident" in every official document of nigeria but the problem is simple,this pple are afraid because d igbo's are highly industrious and dominaring, How many yoruba's or housa's has a building or bacha in an igbo state?
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by sjeezy8: 1:09am On Jun 01, 2010
Ofido:

I think its time this clause "state of origin" is replaced wit "state of resident" in every official document of nigeria but the problem is simple,this pple are afraid because d igbo's are highly industrious and dominaring, How many yoruba's or housa's has a building or bacha in an igbo state?

you are missing the point igbo states have a high population density, they are small and landlocked, So what would be the point of anyone migrating to an igbo state? If anything when your area is crowded you leave and go other places( as igbos do)- 

The Chinese and Indians are all over the world- But how many NON chinese and NON Indians want to move to China and India? Few if not 0

Hausas - Middle belt where hausas arent indignes- How many people want an Hausas to govern their state? Like really who wants Sharia in their state or enough radical islamists across the majority of Nigeria to vote Sharia Law for all of Nigeria? Mind you Niger and Kaduna states arent even 100% hausa or fulani and are 50% christian. But yet they are Sharia states.

The yorubas- are on their own and have always been, an hausa or igbo can come to yorubaland and live peacefully without the fear of religous war or ethnic pogroms NO MILITANTS OR ANY SUCH- AND ITS ALWAYS BEEN LIKE THAT. Even if Nigeria were to break up there will still be hausas and igbos in the West.

[size=13pt]I dont know why southerners think so dumb and are so short sighted.[/size]

If there no state of Origin in Nigeria 75% of the states in Nigeria will have Sharia Law. Lagos being one of them- as there are already sharia councils all over the SW-.
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by sjeezy8: 1:27am On Jun 01, 2010
People like to think about state of origin only when it comes to business or money spending- they are very ignorant of the many dynamics that make Nigeria what it is.
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by igboboy1(m): 3:23am On Jun 28, 2010
sjeezy8:

you are missing the point igbo states have a high population density, they are small and landlocked, So what would be the point of anyone migrating to an igbo state? If anything when your area is crowded you leave and go other places( as igbos do)- 

The Chinese and Indians are all over the world- But how many NON chinese and NON Indians want to move to China and India? Few if not 0

Hausas - Middle belt where hausas arent indignes- How many people want an Hausas to govern their state? Like really who wants Sharia in their state or enough radical islamists across the majority of Nigeria to vote Sharia Law for all of Nigeria? Mind you Niger and Kaduna states arent even 100% hausa or fulani and are 50% christian. But yet they are Sharia states.

The yorubas- are on their own and have always been, an hausa or igbo can come to yorubaland and live peacefully without the fear of religous war or ethnic pogroms NO MILITANTS OR ANY SUCH- AND ITS ALWAYS BEEN LIKE THAT. Even if Nigeria were to break up there will still be hausas and igbos in the West.

[size=13pt]I dont know why southerners think so dumb and are so short sighted.[/size]

If there no state of Origin in Nigeria 75% of the states in Nigeria will have Sharia Law. Lagos being one of them- as there are already sharia councils all over the SW-.

igbo land is not landlocked dumbwit, The so called "SE" according to politics is landlocked but in case you dont know igbo land stretches beyond the so called "SE" Into parts of Delta States and RIvers States which arent landlocked, Geez stop believing everything your elders tell you
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by Nobody: 1:50pm On Jun 28, 2010
If in respect to Nigeria, I hate it when Igbos are only Lagosians when it suits there tribal/political agenda. Lagos is a Yoruba land. But because it's the most developed in the nation, it's a no man's land. But when they point out the bad sides of lagos, they are happy to say Yorubas are dirty and evil. Lagos has been, is, and will forever be a Yoruba home.

In respect to Nationality, I was born Yoruba/Celtic and I consider my self Nigerian/Irish native but American by nationality. To be honest, I consider my self Nigerian and when people ask me where I'm from you know the answer!! Sometimes I say Mushin cause that's where my dad is from.

Someone say "god bless the child that has his own" and used it to deny his or her native land. wow just wow. What a bunch!!!

Change the topic to home land vs birthland. Don't make it patriarchal or matriarchal by saying fatherland or motherland. Just make it general!!!
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by udezue(m): 3:48pm On Jun 28, 2010
Sjeezy is so ignorant it will take a revolution to educate him.

There is no one Nigeria as long as we are so suspicious of eachothert. Its possible to have a hausa governor in the south and still not have sharia after all majority of the lawmakers and voters will still be Igbo, Efik or Yoruba. In democracy there are checks and balances and if the hausa man wants to remain in office he won't be too dumb to even think about it.
Re: Father's Land Vs Birth Land by otawa: 5:57pm On Jun 28, 2010
unfortunately for you the owners of the country that you claim to have been born and bred in do not see you as being one of them if they did you wouldnt have to struggle twice as hard to get half as much as the whites do - sad but true, therefore you can claim to be british born and bred but the harsh truth is that you remain black and alien in the white mans eyes.

God bless the child that has his own but God bless the child who is wise and doesnt shut his eyes to the truth

brilliant. unspoken respect.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pics Of Boko Haram Members +Their Cars Captured By The Nigerian Army In Munguno / My Dream Last Night. / A Thread For Foreign Or International News Discussion.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.