Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,839 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:54 PM

Can I Become A Professor Without Phd? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Can I Become A Professor Without Phd? (2753 Views)

LASU Shortlists Candidates Without PhD For VC Position / Meet Iya Abubakar Who Became A Professor Of Mathematics At 28 / Minimum Requirements Of Becoming A Professor In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can I Become A Professor Without Phd? by amliftedhigher: 6:01am On May 31, 2018
Good morning Nairalanders.
I was having an academic argument yesterday with some colleagues. Lo and behold this question came up "Some one says that he can become a professor without PhD " Our argument grew further. The man gave us examples of professors without PhD and our Vice president became an example. Osinbajo is a professor of law, going through his educational profile. He has only LLB and LLM no PhD. This brings me to my question. So lawyers and Great academics In this forum can someone either in law or other professions become a professor in that field without PhD?

Re: Can I Become A Professor Without Phd? by Cutehector(m): 6:14am On May 31, 2018
Trash.
Re: Can I Become A Professor Without Phd? by Section1000: 6:50am On May 31, 2018
Re: Can I Become A Professor Without Phd? by Ocheinstein(m): 7:24am On May 31, 2018
Professorial award is one given to:
1. An academic who may have spent years not less than 10 after his PHd, and must have met the required threshold in terms of publications both nationally and internationally, PHd and masters supervision, and quality paper presentation both nationally and internationally.
2. Political professor has no place in the academia especially not physics where I domicile. You must have made worthwhile contribution to the body of knowledge in your field. Maybe what you should search for are his academic records and not some records from Wikipedia. You know how unreliable data from Wikipedia can be. I.E any one can write any thrash there.
I greet you

1 Like

Re: Can I Become A Professor Without Phd? by amliftedhigher: 7:29am On May 31, 2018
Cutehector:
Trash.
Do you have sense at all?
How were brain sold to yahoo boys?
Someone noticed things that are not ought to be, he ask for clarification from experts but you could do is type trash?
Re: Can I Become A Professor Without Phd? by amliftedhigher: 7:31am On May 31, 2018
Ocheinstein:
1. An academic who may have spent years not less than 10 after his PHd, and must have met the required threshold in terms of publications both nationally and internationally, PHd and masters supervision, and quality paper presentation both nationally and internationally.
2. Political professor has no place in the academia especially not physics where I domicile. You must have made worthwhile contribution to the body of knowledge in your field. Maybe what you should search for are his academic records and not some records from Wikipedia. You know how unreliable data from Wikipedia can be. I.E any one can write any thrash there.
I greet you
Thanks brother but like you suggested all the information about him have the two degrees only

1 Like

Re: Can I Become A Professor Without Phd? by falcon01: 8:49am On May 31, 2018
Cutehector:
Trash.
common man be cool.
Re: Can I Become A Professor Without Phd? by amadiwati(m): 8:50am On May 31, 2018
There is an online debate to Woke Soyinka's professorial title. Prof Yemi was lecturer in the university. Probably, his contributions or something must have earned him that title. Something must have happened in Unilag or abroad
Re: Can I Become A Professor Without Phd? by Cutehector(m): 9:12am On May 31, 2018
Ocheinstein:
I greet you
thank you for this. Some people won't have sense, and that is why I called it trash

1 Like

Re: Can I Become A Professor Without Phd? by Pusyiter(m): 12:26pm On May 31, 2018
You said it.
To add to it, professorship so to speak, favours the academics but even if you are not and you have publications of at least 10 published in international journals with peer reviews, you can apply for professorship in any renowned university or academic setting.
Ocheinstein:
I greet you

1 Like

Re: Can I Become A Professor Without Phd? by orbgoblin: 3:09pm On May 31, 2018
Ocheinstein:
Maybe what you should search for are his academic records and not some records from Wikipedia. You know how unreliable data from Wikipedia can be. I.E any one can write any thrash there.
I greet you
more blessings to you for the bolded. unfortunately wikipedia is the only place most Nigerian youths turn to for historical facts without knowing how much of an efficient propaganda machine wikipedia actually is.

1 Like

Re: Can I Become A Professor Without Phd? by Nobody: 4:15pm On May 31, 2018
Google Prof Onyeka Nwelue . I don't think he even had a bsc prior to becoming a prof. Intelectual capability, I think, is a consideration.
Re: Can I Become A Professor Without Phd? by dreamwords: 6:21pm On May 31, 2018
grin
Re: Can I Become A Professor Without Phd? by amliftedhigher: 7:57pm On May 31, 2018
blizard44:
Google Prof Onyeka Nwelue .
I don't think he even had a bsc prior to becoming a prof.
Intelectual capability, I think, is a consideration.
Is this possible?
Re: Can I Become A Professor Without Phd? by supereagle(m): 8:10pm On May 31, 2018
Before it was possible, but not now NUC has made it mandatory that you must have a PhD. If you do not have a PhD, you cannot become a senior lecturer.

6 Likes

Re: Can I Become A Professor Without Phd? by Nobody: 8:15pm On May 31, 2018
Re: Can I Become A Professor Without Phd? by Nobody: 8:16pm On May 31, 2018
Re: Can I Become A Professor Without Phd? by Nobody: 8:20pm On May 31, 2018
Ocheinstein:
... not less than 10 after his PHd

Well done sir

2 Likes

Re: Can I Become A Professor Without Phd? by Digitron: 8:58pm On May 31, 2018
It is possible but very rare, i know a few professors here in UNN without PHD
Re: Can I Become A Professor Without Phd? by Geofavor(m): 9:14pm On May 31, 2018
I think the youngest professor of all time became one at the age of 18. Do the maths and deduce the answer to your question.
Re: Can I Become A Professor Without Phd? by SPDAZZY(f): 10:16pm On May 31, 2018
It used to be possible depending on your contribution to the academia, publications, administrative appointments et al.

However, nowadays, due to a review, it is even difficult to become a senior lecturer without a PhD.

1 Like

Re: Can I Become A Professor Without Phd? by damtan(m): 10:23pm On May 31, 2018
There are academic professors and there are also decorated professors.
Re: Can I Become A Professor Without Phd? by smeag0l(m): 11:21pm On May 31, 2018
Can you become a pilot without going to aviation school?The answer to this question answers the one you asked
Re: Can I Become A Professor Without Phd? by Nobody: 3:06am On Jun 01, 2018
damtan:
decorated professors.

shocked shocked shocked
Re: Can I Become A Professor Without Phd? by Ocheinstein(m): 6:37am On Jun 01, 2018
Academic professors are not honorary professionals. That may be the difference.
Digitron:
It is possible but very rare, i know a few professors here in UNN without PHD
Re: Can I Become A Professor Without Phd? by Digitron: 8:26am On Jun 01, 2018
Ocheinstein:
Academic professors are not honorary professionals. That may be the difference.
Go and read out this man:Prof. El Anatsui

1 Like

Re: Can I Become A Professor Without Phd? by amliftedhigher: 12:21pm On Jun 01, 2018
damtan:
There are academic professors and there are also decorated professors.
So did osinbanjo falls in?

(1) (Reply)

Apply For HNG Internship(5.0) 2019 For Young Developers / Can 4.299 Cgpa Be Rounded Up As 4.30 In One's Transcript? / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.