Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,218 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:26 AM

Why Do Igbos Hold Naming Ceremonies For Newborns Only Three Months After Birth? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Igbos Hold Naming Ceremonies For Newborns Only Three Months After Birth? (2876 Views)

This Stupid Mentality In Ceremonies. / Woman Gives Birth To A Baby 5 Months After Giving Birth To Twins In Lagos (Photo / Our Landlord Says He Fathered My Second Baby, Insists On Naming Him —husband (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Igbos Hold Naming Ceremonies For Newborns Only Three Months After Birth? by sinorte: 6:33pm On Jun 05, 2018
I'm not sure about what is obtainable with our folks up north, but I know the practice with the Yoruba people is to christen new babies seven days after birth. The christening is always accompanied with entertainment and marrying. The size of it is dependent on the pocket of the host family.

Coming eastwards. Igbo amaka! This is where I need some enlightenment. Though new babies are christened soon after they are born (not sure how many days it is from birth), majority are always done on a low key. Alas, come three months after birth, you'll see parties being thrown for the babies. Why is this the practice? Kindly enlighten me.
Re: Why Do Igbos Hold Naming Ceremonies For Newborns Only Three Months After Birth? by FloraEC(f): 7:32pm On Jun 05, 2018
Is child dedication(dedicating the child to church) that is done after 3months. Christening/baptism/naming can be done in the first/second or any month you choose and doesn't require too much party or spending. The child already have a native name even before birth.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Hold Naming Ceremonies For Newborns Only Three Months After Birth? by ariesbull: 8:11pm On Jun 05, 2018
Igbo don't do naming ceremony pls...what we do is basically dedication! When we dedicate the child to God!

Naming a child can be done even when the mother is pregnant and we don't attach ceremony to it

Igbo Amaka

What we do is circumcision at the 8th day which is cultural for ages

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Igbos Hold Naming Ceremonies For Newborns Only Three Months After Birth? by NoToPile: 10:02pm On Jun 05, 2018
I guess this is one of the instances culture and religion( christainity) clashes.
Re: Why Do Igbos Hold Naming Ceremonies For Newborns Only Three Months After Birth? by babeosisi: 11:13pm On Jun 05, 2018
ariesbull:
Igbo don't do naming ceremony pls...what we do is basically dedication! When we dedicate the child to God!

Naming a child can be done even when the mother is pregnant and we don't attach ceremony to it

Igbo Amaka

What we do is circumcision at the 8th day which is cultural for ages

I have been singing this song on this site
For some odd reason people are bent on lumping practices alien to Igbo culture on Igbo
We don't have anything called naming ceremony in Igbo culture.
We have what we call oñu nwa and now called christening by Christians
Igbos celebrate a new baby typically just before the new mom goes back to work or begins to be seen outside
We call it christening or going to church
Typically it occurs after 90 days for many.
We see that as a time the nursing mom is strong enough to resume other duties.
Before then she doesn't go to work or market ,any functions not even to church
That's our culture
We don't have ceremonies to name our babies.the babies are named in the womb by the parents if they wish and the grandparents give theirs.
Last time I heard this naming ceremony nonsense I had to even call my mom who confirmed that she never heard of a naming ceremony in Igbo land and has never attended one all her life

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Hold Naming Ceremonies For Newborns Only Three Months After Birth? by Nobody: 11:19pm On Jun 05, 2018
Igbos can name their child even when the baby is still in the womb.

Igbos circumcize the baby on the 8th day.

Igbos to dedicate their baby to God after 3 months.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Hold Naming Ceremonies For Newborns Only Three Months After Birth? by babeosisi: 11:20pm On Jun 05, 2018
Someone will soon pull out a google article.
Any Igbo person doing naming ceremony either lives in Lagos or goes to redeemed church grin
Our folks in those 2 places have imbibed naming ceremony so they don't miss out on whatever the advantages may be

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Hold Naming Ceremonies For Newborns Only Three Months After Birth? by Nobody: 12:14am On Jun 06, 2018
Because we are igbos, not hausa or yoruba.

We do child dedication after 3 months not naming ceremony.

Just imagine waiting for 3 months to name pikin, na world cup they wan name...

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Hold Naming Ceremonies For Newborns Only Three Months After Birth? by ariesbull: 8:24am On Jun 06, 2018
NoToPile:
I guess this is one of the instances culture and religion( christainity) clashes.

This culture predates Christianity...a woman that delivers stays at home for a minimum of 2 months before she steps aside and the child is dedicated...there is nothing like naming ceremony in Igbo land...the Igbo have better things to do than wasting time and money naming a child
Re: Why Do Igbos Hold Naming Ceremonies For Newborns Only Three Months After Birth? by PSTEMMA1960(m): 12:34pm On Jun 06, 2018
[quote author=sinorte post=68209691][/quote] grin grin oga naming ceremony is after 8 days...
Re: Why Do Igbos Hold Naming Ceremonies For Newborns Only Three Months After Birth? by NoToPile: 12:44pm On Jun 06, 2018
ariesbull:

This culture predates Christianity...a woman that delivers stays at home for a minimum of 2 months before she steps aside and the child is dedicated...there is nothing like naming ceremony in Igbo land...the Igbo have better things to do than wasting time and money naming a child

I am only saying what I observed, I never said it doesn't predate christainity in Nigeria. Some people tend to follow religion over tradition /culture nowadays.

It not nice trying to throw jabs at other people's way of life.
So the Igbos who throw parties during dedication are wasting time and money and have no better things to do right?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Is This Why People Say That The Women's Folk Are Their Own Enemies? (pics) / Beware Nigerian Men!!! / Can Any Woman Exchange Her Husband For 10million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.