Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,544 members, 7,819,936 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:04 AM

This Stupid Mentality In Ceremonies. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / This Stupid Mentality In Ceremonies. (11264 Views)

My Younger Sister Has This Entitlement Mentality. Help I'm Scared For Her. / Woman Divorces Husband 3 Minutes After Marriage In Kuwait For Calling Her Stupid / Why Do Igbos Hold Naming Ceremonies For Newborns Only Three Months After Birth? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Stupid Mentality In Ceremonies. by MSN1(m): 5:25pm On Nov 19, 2023
I have been having this big question about how we behave in ceremonies, MOSTLY Nigerians.

Personally, i think the idea of throwing money and announcing donation amounts in ceremonies is a very awkward practice. The funniest thing is; they have taken it to d church.
The harvest i attended last Sunday, they turned it to money competition, just imagine in the house of God. I just picked myself and moved out.

The fact is; Giving / Gifts ought to be between the giver and receiver, thats all.

I don't spray money or announce any donations i make. Whatever i have, i drop quietly and move, if i don't have anything,i show face 4 ur ceremony and move, I LIVE TO MPRESS ONLY GOD.

I am currently in a function and the thing is just pissing me off.
One bad thing i noticed is; The higher your money, the higher the claps and cheers, very bad indeed.
Clapping heavily for som1 that worth more than 5million, donating 100k and less for the one that has ONLY 20k home and Abroad while donating 5k, is FOOLISHNESS TO ME.

One thing i like about my landlord is; his simplicity and low key giving, Nigga amazes me everytime. The gentle man has more than 50 people he pays school fees for, he donates and contribute heavily in d community his charity work is extremely amazing but u wud NEVER know. That is how it ought to be.
A gift that is sounded and announced is no longer a gift to me.

Pls for those of u that have travelled abroad, is this bad behaviour also rampant there?

96 Likes 5 Shares

Re: This Stupid Mentality In Ceremonies. by immortalcrown(m): 5:26pm On Nov 19, 2023
It is very bad.

5 Likes

Re: This Stupid Mentality In Ceremonies. by Oloki: 5:28pm On Nov 19, 2023
Abroad people no dey joke with money.

Every Kobo is accounted for. So no place for frivolity.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Stupid Mentality In Ceremonies. by judatech: 11:20pm On Nov 19, 2023
Those churches play with men with fragile ego...to vomit cash

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Stupid Mentality In Ceremonies. by Ensa777(f): 9:32am On Nov 20, 2023
It's disgusting and distasteful
Till today,I have never pledged before ppl and will never be coerced to.Even in church.
I give when I have and secretly.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Stupid Mentality In Ceremonies. by Biisola: 9:40am On Nov 20, 2023
I attended a church program some weeks back and a slip was passed to me,when I read it,it was some donations for the pastor birthday.

I just silently keep it in my pocket

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Stupid Mentality In Ceremonies. by MSN1(m): 10:33am On Nov 20, 2023
Biisola:
I attend a church program some weeks back and a slip was passed to me,when I read it,it was some donations for the pastor birthday.

I have never done ANY Bday with d hope of getting gifts, infact is only my sists. And few of my guys dat took me out on diff. Bday.

Gifts ought to come by surprise and between only two parties and not the ones people announce up and down in order to get accolades.

After d ceremony ystrday, a lot of ladies were hailing d big spenders there, just this morning; a colleague was telling me He had to withdraw his last 10k to spend there, i asked; Y didn't u spend ONLY 5k and keep ur change, d mugu said; Y wud he spend 5k, when others were balling high.
I just looked at the fool and others dat goes about seeking social validation. Mumu full dis country.

I went to one Christ Embassy, 2015 and d pastor said; a lot of people are insulting God with their meagre offerings, that 2day, he wud monitor the money pipo wud drop. As pipo were giving theirs, he was looking at everyone of them. I sat on my chair and gave nothing, immediately after the offering; i picked my body and left.
Me that trekked almost 20mins to attend service, he was making me to feel like a fool. Y e enor come force me 4 my chair go give offering.

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Stupid Mentality In Ceremonies. by EnglishUsa: 3:16pm On Nov 20, 2023
You live to empress God, but others live to impress humans, these people can never give you 1000 inside that church if you beg them of help but, they will donate one hundred million in the church, if they want to impress their crush in a party that is what they do. This set of people are owing school fees of their children and their wife's are looking dirty and they don't care.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Stupid Mentality In Ceremonies. by BigBlackPreek(m): 3:16pm On Nov 20, 2023
Welcome to Nigeria where majority likes showoffs and doing " I better pass my neighbor "...

10 Likes

Re: This Stupid Mentality In Ceremonies. by ukra: 3:16pm On Nov 20, 2023
Nigerians just love to show off. E dey their blood

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Stupid Mentality In Ceremonies. by slaawomirr: 3:16pm On Nov 20, 2023
Damnnn niggar

I don't do it no matter what

The worse part of it all the money they are even spraying is 50..50..or 100..100..naira note
No one dare spray 1, 1thousand naira note or 5, 5hundred naira note

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Stupid Mentality In Ceremonies. by omoredia: 3:17pm On Nov 20, 2023
The poor too get pride for this country. You no get, u still want to decide how those that have will give you. Are u not also mad?

5 Likes

Re: This Stupid Mentality In Ceremonies. by R0LL0N(m): 3:17pm On Nov 20, 2023
Common in church hate it a lot. Na so you go hear

Mr and Mrs gave us the sum of #1 million naira every one will clap even person we give 20 naira sef Dey go still announce.

5 Likes

Re: This Stupid Mentality In Ceremonies. by AbuTwins: 3:18pm On Nov 20, 2023
cool
Re: This Stupid Mentality In Ceremonies. by Manny21: 3:18pm On Nov 20, 2023
It is a cultural thing in Nigeria. It makes the "sprayer" feel important and also makes the recipient feel flattered.

9 Likes

Re: This Stupid Mentality In Ceremonies. by BiGVEEN58(m): 3:19pm On Nov 20, 2023
Of course it is.
This is Africa. What did you expect from misguided and primitive people?

2 Likes

Re: This Stupid Mentality In Ceremonies. by Factfinder1(m): 3:19pm On Nov 20, 2023
Make money first . You will unlock all the demons of frivolities that poverty tamed

6 Likes

Re: This Stupid Mentality In Ceremonies. by Lukuluku69(m): 3:19pm On Nov 20, 2023
MSN1:
I have been having this big question about how we behave in ceremonies, MOSTLY Nigerians.

Personally, i think the idea of throwing money and announcing donation amounts in ceremonies is a very awkward practice. The funniest thing is; they have taken it to d church.
The harvest i attended last Sunday, they turned it to money competition, just imagine in the house of God. I just picked myself and moved out.

The fact is; Giving / Gifts ought to be between the giver and receiver, thats all.

I don't spray money or announce any donations i make. Whatever i have, i drop quietly and move, if i don't have anything,i show face 4 ur ceremony and move, I LIVE TO MPRESS ONLY GOD.

One bad thing i noticed is; The higher your money, the higher the claps and cheers, very bad indeed.
Clapping heavily for som1 that worth more than 5million, donating 100k and less for the one that has ONLY 20k home and Abroad while donating 5k, is FOOLISHNESS TO ME.

One thing i like about my landlord is; his simplicity and low key giving, Nigga amazes me everytime. The gentle man has more than 50 people he pays school fees for, he donates and contribute heavily in d community his charity work is extremely amazing but u wud NEVER know. That is how it ought to be.

Pls for those of u that have travelled abroad, is this bad behaviour also rampant there?

It is a Cultural thing that we have elevated to another level.

It is disgusting to say the least, but we live in a world eager to show off, to compete in order to say Look here i live better than you, my Life is better than yours.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Stupid Mentality In Ceremonies. by Dexy4yah(m): 3:20pm On Nov 20, 2023
grin grin
Re: This Stupid Mentality In Ceremonies. by Amah101(m): 3:21pm On Nov 20, 2023
MSN1:

Showing off.

1 Like

Re: This Stupid Mentality In Ceremonies. by buygooglevoice(f): 3:22pm On Nov 20, 2023
Buy google voice accounts Best Quality Accounts Replacement guarantees We offer Google Voice account at the lowest prices from pvastor
Re: This Stupid Mentality In Ceremonies. by Schrodinger2(m): 3:25pm On Nov 20, 2023
MSN1:

Morally depraved and low-self esteemed Nigerians generally like showing off even if they don't have anything, and that attitude irritates me.

It is the same reason you'll want to use an iPhone albeit you can't afford it.

Here in the US, nobody gives a damn about impressing others by spraying or publicly bragging about money, not even the celebrities.

But when Nigerians come here, they bring that crazy attitude and start spraying money at events.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Stupid Mentality In Ceremonies. by oluseyiforjesus(m): 3:25pm On Nov 20, 2023
Ok
Re: This Stupid Mentality In Ceremonies. by jiz: 3:26pm On Nov 20, 2023
That's what some people want
Re: This Stupid Mentality In Ceremonies. by money121(m): 3:28pm On Nov 20, 2023
Abi oo
Re: This Stupid Mentality In Ceremonies. by obaidan: 3:31pm On Nov 20, 2023
well
Re: This Stupid Mentality In Ceremonies. by lasdas100(m): 3:34pm On Nov 20, 2023
Na Nigerians be that. I hate public displays too.

1 Like

Re: This Stupid Mentality In Ceremonies. by Parydelegate: 3:37pm On Nov 20, 2023
Buga things

1 Like

Re: This Stupid Mentality In Ceremonies. by EmmyMaestro(m): 3:37pm On Nov 20, 2023
Shebi Christmas don reach, you will see how people will be spending their last sweat even inside this renewed shege regime only to come and start crying in January all because of competition

5 Likes

Re: This Stupid Mentality In Ceremonies. by gaskiyamagana: 3:38pm On Nov 20, 2023
Biisola:
I attended a church program some weeks back and a slip was passed to me,when I read it,it was some donations for the pastor birthday.

Hunhun! You are the one. We counted the envelopes we distributed ten times, it is minus one. Now, now, l will call our Daddy G.O and Birthday Finance Committee Chairman and Secretary that I have found the missing envelope on Nairaland 😅😆

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Father Names His Newborn Baby After President Buhari In Bauchi (Photo) / Is It Delusional To Postpone Marrying Until You Find The Perfect One? / Gender Stereotypes Part I

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.