Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,869 members, 7,817,567 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:32 PM

Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! - Foreign Affairs (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! (26310 Views)

Man Arrested For Overtaking Ugandan's Vice President's Convoy (photos) / Cameroon Fires Two Army Officers After Boko Haram raids! / Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by Cohomology: 9:19pm On Jun 07, 2010
davidylan:

Someone posted this on a UK discussion board and i thought it was pertinent here too . . .

[size=16pt]The trouble is that there three main posters, those that hate Israel with a passion, no matter what evidence you place before them their attitude is " I have made my mind up don't confuse me with facts. We all know who these people are because their names come up time and time again. The second type are those who are pro Israel like you and I who know what the real situation is. The third group are those who do not know what to believe, they might well see through the massive distortions and lies by Hamas/Turkey but still feel because so many people are against Israel there must be truth in numbers. I hope that these people, the third group, will realize sooner or later what the truth really is.[/size]

Group 1 - Afam, Beaf, cohomology, bomany, romeo4real e.t.c.

Group 2 - Frosbel, ElRazur, Pro01, Mariory, Bawomolo, dayokanu, Davidylan, Madlady

Group 3 - Sagamite

Nice one!

Good you know my position is clear - Israel is a terrorist nation and I pray God make haste to punish Israel!

Bloody Zionists!
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by Cohomology: 9:26pm On Jun 07, 2010
http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/features/how-to-cure-a-leper-state-1.294594
[size=18pt]How to cure a leper state[/size]

Shlomo Ben-Ami has long since abandoned the Labor Party, but though he says he isn't as naive as he once was, he believes Israel can regain its good standing in the international community, provided it atones for past sins.

By Akiva Eldar

Shlomo Ben-Ami laughed in embarrassment and hastened to correct "we" to "they." "They" are the leaders of the Labor Party, first and foremost Defense Minister Ehud Barak, who was a senior partner in yet another military move-cum-diplomatic disaster. Ben-Ami, a history professor who was one of the great hopes of a party that is no longer great, has disengaged himself from it.

In recent years, he has been dividing his time between his home in Kfar Sava and the Toledo International Center for Peace in Madrid, a research institute he heads. Ben-Ami, who served as foreign minister and public security minister during the peace process and the start of the second intifada, offers a sober diagnosis of Israel's bleak international standing.

"Our mistake was rejecting the Mecca agreement [the reconciliation agreement mediated by Saudi Arabia between Fatah and Hamas in February of 2007 for a unity government]. Instead of bringing Hamas in with the help of the important Arab peace initiative, we imposed an unproductive siege on Gaza. It is not bringing about the collapse of the Hamas regime or the release of Gilad Shalit. In this way we are both [not helping ourselves] and becoming a leper state in the eyes of the international community."

Why is it we who are becoming lepers? Israel isn't the only state where they use violence against civilians and violate human rights. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu did, after all, declare he supports the establishment of a Palestinian state.
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by Nobody: 9:28pm On Jun 07, 2010
Cohomology:

http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/features/how-to-cure-a-leper-state-1.294594
[size=18pt]How to cure a leper state[/size]

Shlomo Ben-Ami has long since abandoned the Labor Party, but though he says he isn't as naive as he once was, he believes Israel can regain its good standing in the international community, provided it atones for past sins.

By Akiva Eldar

Shlomo Ben-Ami laughed in embarrassment and hastened to correct "we" to "they." "They" are the leaders of the Labor Party, first and foremost Defense Minister Ehud Barak, who was a senior partner in yet another military move-come-diplomatic disaster. Ben-Ami, a history professor who was one of the great hopes of a party that is no longer great, has disengaged himself from it.

In recent years, he has been dividing his time between his home in Kfar Sava and the Toledo International Center for Peace in Madrid, a research institute he heads. Ben-Ami, who served as foreign minister and public security minister during the peace process and the start of the second intifada, offers a sober diagnosis of Israel's bleak international standing.

"Our mistake was rejecting the Mecca agreement [the reconciliation agreement mediated by Saudi Arabia between Fatah and Hamas in February of 2007 for a unity government]. Instead of bringing Hamas in with the help of the important Arab peace initiative, we imposed an unproductive siege on Gaza. It is not bringing about the collapse of the Hamas regime or the release of Gilad Shalit. In this way we are both [not helping ourselves] and becoming a leper state in the eyes of the international community."

Why is it we who are becoming lepers? Israel isn't the only state where they use violence against civilians and violate human rights. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu did, after all, declare he supports the establishment of a Palestinian state.

Duh, there will always be appeasers and FOOLS , who think that by some gentle, polite and kind method you can win over terrorists, lol.
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by Beaf: 9:31pm On Jun 07, 2010
davidylan:

Someone posted this on a UK discussion board and i thought it was pertinent here too . . .

[size=16pt]The trouble is that there three main posters, those that hate Israel with a passion, no matter what evidence you place before them their attitude is " I have made my mind up don't confuse me with facts. We all know who these people are because their names come up time and time again. The second type are those who are pro Israel like you and I who know what the real situation is. The third group are those who do not know what to believe, they might well see through the massive distortions and lies by Hamas/Turkey but still feel because so many people are against Israel there must be truth in numbers. I hope that these people, the third group, will realize sooner or later what the truth really is.[/size]

Group 2 - Frosbel, ElRazur, Pro01, Mariory, Bawomolo, dayokanu, Davidylan, Madlady

Group 3 - Sagamite

You got what I hate with a passion completley wrong. Its not Israel I hate, its damn foolishness! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by Cohomology: 9:32pm On Jun 07, 2010
[size=18pt]Saving Israel From Itself[/size]
By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF

When reports first circulated on Twitter of a deadly attack by Israeli commandos on the Gaza flotilla, I didn’t forward them because they seemed implausible. I thought: Israel wouldn’t be so obtuse as to use lethal force on self-described peace activists in international waters with scores of reporters watching.

Ah, but it turned out that Israel could be so obtuse after all. It shot itself in the foot, blasting American toes as well, and undermined all of its longer-term strategic objectives.

Abba Eban, the former Israeli statesman, is famously reported to have said in 1973: “The Arabs never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.” The quotation resonated because it was largely true.

Palestinians were locked for years into a self-defeating dynamic of violence and self-pity that led to terrorism and intransigence. Feeling misunderstood, they shrugged at global opinion and lashed back wherever they could, undermining their own cause.

Yet now, as a rabbi noted on my Facebook page, it is Israel that never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

Israel under Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu seems locked in a self- defeating dynamic in which it feels misunderstood and gives up on international opinion. It lashes out with force in ways that undermine its own interests. It is on a path that could eventually be catastrophic.

There’s no question that Israel faces existential threats. That should make its leaders focused above all on two things: an Arab-Israeli treaty and pressure on Iran to drop its nuclear program.

These aren’t easy, and a Palestinian-Israeli deal may be impossible for the time being. But Israel could freeze all settlements and take other steps that would make a deal more likely. We already know what the final deal would look like — a two-state solution and terms resembling the “Clinton parameters” that Bill Clinton proposed in 2000.

Israel could also cultivate Turkey, a central player in the effort to press Iran. Instead, Israel’s storming of a Turkish-flagged vessel in international waters was a huge setback to efforts to win new sanctions on Iran. One big winner in this week’s fiasco was the Iranian regime.

Israel is also antagonizing its support base in the United States, which is critical to protect it from those existential threats.

Peter Beinart wrote a powerful article in the most recent New York Review of Books exploring the way young Jews in America feel much less identification with Israel than their elders did. Mr. Beinart noted that [size=14pt]even the student Senate at Brandeis University, which has strong Jewish ties, rejected a resolution commemorating the 60th anniversary of Israel.[/size]

One basic problem, Mr. Beinart said, is that the Zionist movement has become increasingly conservative politically. “For several decades,” he writes, “the Jewish establishment has asked American Jews to check their liberalism at Zionism’s door, and now, to their horror, they are finding that many young Jews have checked their Zionism instead.”

[size=14pt]Israel’s hard-line policies are depleting America’s international political capital as well as its own. Gen. David Petraeus noted two months ago that the perception that the United States favors Israel breeds anti-Americanism and bolsters Al Qaeda. The chief of Mossad, Meir Dagan, was quoted in the Israeli press as making the point more succinctly: “Israel is gradually turning from an asset to the United States to a burden.”[/size]

For many Israelis, all this seems profoundly unfair. Israel is a thriving democracy that withdrew from Gaza but is still threatened by missiles from north and south alike. So Israel and its hard-core supporters tend to dismiss outside criticism as inherently unfair and anti-Semitic, and embrace unilateral solutions based on force. As the newspaper Haaretz suggested, Israel is now “lost at sea.”

How do we change this dynamic? One necessary step is a major investigation of what happened. Another is a quick end to the blockade of Gaza, by Egypt as well as Israel. The blockade has failed to topple Hamas, failed to recover the captured soldier Gilad Shalit, and failed to keep rockets out of Gaza.

When you visit Gaza, you see that the siege has accomplished nothing — except to devastate the lives of 1.5 million ordinary Gazans. [size=14pt]Gisha, an Israeli human rights organization, has compiled a list of goods that Israel typically blocks from Gaza: notebooks, blank paper, writing utensils, coriander, chocolate, fishing rods, and countless more. That’s not security; that’s a travesty.[/size]

President Obama needs to find his voice and push hard for an end to the Gaza blockade. He needs to talk sense to Israel and encourage it to back away from its plans to intercept other flotillas now headed for Gaza — that would be a catastrophe for Israel and America alike.

Above all, he needs to nudge Israel away from its tendency to shoot itself in the foot, and us along with it.
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by Sagamite(m): 9:34pm On Jun 07, 2010
davidylan:

and are you trying to claim here that if there was no blockade everyone in Gaza would be middle-class rich folks?

I am saying if there was no blockade the poverty levels would not be anywhere as high. 80% of people would not be living off UN aid. And the reason it is so is because of the blockade?

Or is it not?

davidylan:

There is no blockade in the UK, why are there poor people there? Lazy conjectures really shldnt be coming from folks of your caliber.

Are you serious?

What kind of stewpid statement is this?

This is as silly as saying "Corruption is not rampant in the USA but there are still poor people in the USA, so corruption in Nigeria is not the problem".

davidylan:

Gaza has an economy that rivals that of many smaller latin nations, much larger than that of several African nations . . . and you say the blockade made them poor?

What economy?

Economy where 80% live on food aid? No tools to trade? No predicatable supplies? Poor customers?

davidylan:

We already know that much of the western media is complicit in transmitting arab propaganda with no recourse to the facts. Because BBC says Gazans are poor means they are 100% correct? What happened to factual info?

And the UN is also transmitting propaganda but IDF is the edifice of truth. They suuuuuuuuuuuuuurely are not biased. The have monopoly on the truth.

Please tell me, apart from IDF, which other source do you find reliable on these issues?

davidylan:

I'm sorry but those are FACTS that even the UN does not dispute. Its no surprise that propaganda from HAMAS is embraced as truth but anytime Israel brings supportive evidence we start hearing about false skepticism.

The same UN humanitarian agency was complicit in claiming there was a genocide in Qana when there was none.

Trucks from Israel send about 15,000 tons of supplies WEEKLY to Gaza . . . these are DOCUMENTED FACTS, you can turn your nose at them all day . . . Egypt has a closed border with Gaza, i dont see you complaining.
These lists are posted on Israeli government websites, no reputable media, nor the UN, not even HAMAS have denied that these are not facts. The fuel is imported from Europe specifically for Gaza . . . no one has ever denied that the supplies do not get to their destination.

There is plenty of proof showing HAMAS snippers trying to prevent trucks from crossing into Gaza.

Like i said earlier and i repeat . . . i posted FACTS, that you turn your nose at them is indicative of your own mindset, one that slants towards anti-Israeli sentiments.

you earlier posted this - Isreal does not allow things like blades, fabric/wool, jam, chocolate, wood, glucose, fishing nets, seeds and nuts, notebooks, sewing machine, horses and paper in the blockade. . . . where was your proof? Where were the links to show this as true? Yet we provide reputable facts and you just waive them aside because they dont tally with what your own hyper-active mind conjures?

When I refer to the UN, I mean United Nations.

Your facts is wholly about what the Isreali government says? Reputable? Are you joking? And when the UN says it is something else, it must be a lie.

In regards to my list, it was reported on channel 4 news in the UK (you know, one of the "anti-semitics" when they criticise Isreal).

Here are some UN clips (another of the anti-semitics):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h889uANoWc&feature=fvw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq3hbwNYLaA

CNN (Hamas' co-conspirators)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ain9mx4ZWFU (Please note the part they said Gaza was one of the most impoverished places in the world and how shortages of things like baby food [you know, those bomb making equipments])

China (another of the anti-semitics)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siur1VKPNkY&feature=related
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by Cohomology: 9:38pm On Jun 07, 2010
Thankfully, many American Jews are beginning to see the folly in supporting the evil Zionist regime in Tel-Aviv. May God punish Israel!

This warmed my heart:

Peter Beinart wrote a powerful article in the most recent New York Review of Books exploring the way young Jews in America feel much less identification with Israel than their elders did. Mr. Beinart noted that even the student Senate at Brandeis University, which has strong Jewish ties, rejected a resolution commemorating the 60th anniversary of Israel.

Those students did the right thing. Why should anybody celebrate Israel's anniversary? An anniversary of hate, oppression, racism, Apartheid (far worse than the South African version), murder, infanticide, assassination, arrogance, opprobrium and sheer evil!
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by Cohomology: 9:41pm On Jun 07, 2010
Evil Israel prevents notebooks from entering Gaza! Even Botha under Apartheid was never this wicked.

"Gisha, an Israeli human rights organization, has compiled a list of goods that Israel typically blocks from Gaza: notebooks, blank paper, writing utensils, coriander, chocolate, fishing rods, and countless more. That’s not security; that’s a travesty."

Blank paper?
Writing utensils?
Chocolate?
Notebooks?

These are terrorist materials?

Evil Israel would have just prevented air from entering Gaza! Rubbish!

May God punish Israel!
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by Sagamite(m): 9:44pm On Jun 07, 2010
frosbel:

^^

And yet some sick, crazy minds on Nairaland still support hamas ?

Deluded souls !

frosbel:

Duh, there will always be appeasers and FOOLS , who think that by some gentle, polite and kind method you can win over terrorists, lol.

Will you shut the fork up you daft slowpoke.

When we ask you to present points to back up you idiotic views, you will disappear as usual.
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by Cohomology: 9:50pm On Jun 07, 2010
[size=18pt]The cold unmistakable face of pure evil![/size]

[img]http://coto2.files./2009/09/netanyahu1.jpg[/img]
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by Cohomology: 9:58pm On Jun 07, 2010
[size=18pt]Egypt: Gaza blockade a failure, border stays open[/size]

By SARAH EL DEEB, Associated Press Writer Sarah El Deeb, Associated Press Writer
1 min ago

SHARM EL-SHEIKH, Egypt – An Egyptian security official declared the blockade of Gaza a failure Monday and said his country will keep its border with the Palestinian territory open indefinitely.

Keeping that crossing point open long term would ease the blockade imposed by Israel three years ago to isolate and punish Gaza's Hamas rulers. It also restores a link to the outside the world for some of Gaza's 1.5 million Palestinians.

Egypt opened its border with Gaza soon after Israel's deadly raid on an international flotilla of activists trying to break the blockade a week ago. Israel has not publicly protested the Egyptian move, but officials declined to comment Monday.

In another escalation of the tension off Gaza's shores, Israeli naval forces shot and killed four men wearing wet suits off the coast on Monday, and the militant group Al-Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades said they were members of its marine unit training for a mission.

Vice President Joe Biden said Monday the U.S. is closely consulting with Egypt and other allies to find new ways to "address the humanitarian, economic, security, and political aspects of the situation in Gaza." He issued the statement after meeting Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak in the Egyptian Red Sea resort of Sharm El-Sheikh.

Egypt's measures up to now constitute an incremental change rather than a radically different approach to the border closure. It appeared aimed, in part, at defusing some of the anger in the Arab and Muslim world over Egypt's role in maintaining the blockade.

For the time being, Egypt is only allowing a very restricted group of Gazans to leave the territory, including medical patients, students attending foreign universities and those with residency abroad. In keeping the passenger terminal in the border town of Rafah open continually, rather than sporadically as before, Egypt is helping reduce the backlog of Gazans with the required permits waiting to get out.

Egypt and Israel have maintained the blockade since Hamas took control of Gaza in 2007, with Israel describing it as an essential measure to stop weapons from reaching Hamas militants, who have hit southern Israel with rockets and in past years killed hundreds in suicide bombings.

The Egyptian security official said, however, that the closure has failed to achieve its goals, including the release of an Israeli soldier held by Hamas since 2006. Israeli airstrikes and Egyptian security efforts have also yet to choke off a bustling smuggling trade that uses hundreds of tunnels along the Gaza-Egypt border, though the official said Egypt is determined to shut them down.

Under the restrictions at the Rafah crossing point, Egypt is letting in some humanitarian aid but will not transfer large cargo shipments or construction material because the terminal is designed primarily as a crossing for travelers, said the Egyptian official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue.

Hamas welcomed the Egyptian move but said it hoped all Gazans would soon be able to travel freely without restrictions.

"We have said since the first day that the blockade on Gaza will end and we can see that on the ground right now, and we voice our hope that all other restrictions will be removed," Hamas spokesman Fawzi Barhoum said.

Hamas tightly controls access to Rafah, and only travelers with the proper permits can reach the terminal.

For its part, Israel allows through only basic humanitarian goods, blocking crucial items like cement needed to rebuild war damage because it argues the material could be used by Hamas. The closure has crushed Gaza's already fragile economy.

The Egyptian official said Israel must work out a new policy to end the suffering of the Palestinians while keeping pressure on Hamas.

Like Israel, Egypt also fears sharing a border with a slice of territory controlled by Islamic militants backed by regional rival Iran. Concerned about the flow of weapons, Egypt late last year began building an underground, metal barrier to seal the smuggling tunnels.

"We have a constant security concern, because Iran has its aims, Hezbollah has its aims, Hamas has its aspirations and aims, and al-Qaida can very well be present in Sinai and Gaza," the official said.

Egypt has been harshly criticized in the Muslim world for having helped maintain the blockade.

The official called it a "continuously embarrassing situation" for Egypt and blamed Israel for thinking the closure could pressure Hamas to release the captured soldier, Gilad Schalit, or to abandon its extremist ideology.

In Monday's clash, the Israeli military said a naval force spotted the Palestinians in the waters off Gaza and opened fire. It claimed the forces had prevented an attack on Israeli targets.

Al-Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades said the four killed were training in Gaza's waters. The violent offshoot of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas' Fatah faction, made the claim in a text message sent to reporters in Gaza.

Four bodies were retrieved and taken to a hospital in central Gaza, said Moawiya Hassanain, a Palestinian health official. The Palestinian naval police said two people were still missing.

"The bloody escalation today is a desperate attempt by the occupation government to divert the world attention away from the massacre committed against the flotilla," Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri told reporters in Gaza.

The May 31 flotilla clash, in which eight Turkish men and one dual American-Turkish citizen were killed aboard one of the vessels seized by Israeli commandos, has put Israel under international pressure to lift or at least ease the blockade.

Israel has sought to portray the nine activists killed as militants, saying they prepared for the fight before boarding the flotilla. The military Monday released the names of five of the activists it said have long-standing ties to terror organizations.

___

Associated Press Writers Aron Heller in Jerusalem and Ibrahim Barzak in Gaza City, Gaza Strip contributed to this report.
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by Nobody: 10:02pm On Jun 07, 2010
Sagamite:

Will you shut the fork up you daft slowpoke.

When we ask you to present points to back up you idiotic views, you will disappear as usual.

Disappear ? For you ?

It was not worth wasting my time replying the rubbish you wrote previously. !
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by Cohomology: 10:03pm On Jun 07, 2010
Finally, idiotic Mubarak has woken up from his slumber of supporting evil Israel.

More Arab states need to work with the Persians (Iran) and Turks (Turkey) to fashion out a short-term policy to help the Palestinian people, and a more important long-term policy to isolate Israel, build up their conventional and nuclear arsenal and make the Zionist State understand that any form of aggression against the group would be met with violent retaliation.

Nuclear balance is the only way to make the pu.ssies in Tel-Aviv understand the meaning of justice.

Mubarak is still a disgrace to the Arab world.
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by Beaf: 10:34pm On Jun 07, 2010
Cohomology:

Thankfully, many American Jews are beginning to see the folly in supporting the evil Zionist regime in Tel-Aviv. May God punish Israel!

This warmed my heart:

Peter Beinart wrote a powerful article in the most recent New York Review of Books exploring the way young Jews in America feel much less identification with Israel than their elders did. Mr. Beinart noted that even the student Senate at Brandeis University, which has strong Jewish ties, rejected a resolution commemorating the 60th anniversary of Israel.

Those students did the right thing. Why should anybody celebrate Israel's anniversary? An anniversary of hate, oppression, racism, Apartheid (far worse than the South African version), murder, infanticide, assassination, arrogance, opprobrium and sheer evil!

That because, for the most part, American Jews are content; not the crazy eyed, starving East European settlers that see "free" Palestinian land as a ticket away from poverty. Monsters! angry
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jun 07, 2010
Beaf:

That because, for the most part, American Jews are content; not the crazy eyed, starving East European settlers that see "free" Palestinian land as a ticket away from poverty. Monsters! angry

Keep displaying your ignorance for all to see.
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by Nobody: 10:57pm On Jun 07, 2010
Sagamite:

I am saying if there was no blockade the poverty levels would not be anywhere as high. 80% of people would not be living off UN aid. And the reason it is so is because of the blockade?

Or is it not?

Daft. 80% live off UN aid based exactly on what? UN data? You dismiss CONFIRMED data from Israel but swallow nonsensical statistics from the UN WITHOUT PROOF?

There is no blockade in the westbank, at least over 50% live on UN aid, the Gaza blockade started in January 2009 (4 yrs AFTER Israeli withdrawal), you intend to tell us here that all those now on UN aid just got there because of a blockade that is 1 yr old?

There are palestinians in Syria, Lebanon and Jordan . . . more than 50% of whom depend on UN aid . . . and just where is the blockade affecting them there?

Sagamite:

Are you serious?

What kind of stewpid statement is this?

This is as silly as saying "Corruption is not rampant in the USA but there are still poor people in the USA, so corruption in Nigeria is not the problem".

Unbelievable. The analogy was quite simple, that you wont get it is indicative of your own mindset. You imply that the poverty in Gaza is due to the blockade . . . and i asked . . . so what was the poverty level in Gaza pre-blockade in 2008? Zero?

Sagamite:

What economy?

Economy where 80% live on food aid? No tools to trade? No predicatable supplies? Poor customers?

Gaza has a GDP per capita of about $2900, slightly lower than that of India and much more than that of Nigeria. Gaza has a yrly budget of about $2.3bn and an export economy worth about $301m. Gaza was exporting no less than 25,000 workers to Israel up until the second intifada in 2000.

Its quite stwepid simply posting based on limited information. Yes Gaza does have an economy . . . it doesnt help that more than 60% goes to manufacturing weapons to fire at Israel.

Sagamite:

And the UN is also transmitting propaganda but IDF is the edifice of truth. They suuuuuuuuuuuuuurely are not biased. The have monopoly on the truth.

Please tell me, apart from IDF, which other source do you find reliable on these issues?

Quite silly, the lists i presented earlier did not come from the IDF . . . the army has nothing to do with supplies to Gaza. That is handled by the Israeli government. The list is NOT contested by HAMAS, the UN, the EU which pays for Gaza's oil even though its shipped through Israel. Sorry this are not "biased sources" but FACTS. On what do you base your own claims? Empty noise?

Sagamite:

When I refer to the UN, I mean United Nations.

Your facts is wholly about what the Isreali government says? Reputable? Are you joking? And when the UN says it is something else, it must be a lie.

In regards to my list, it was reported on channel 4 news in the UK (you know, one of the "anti-semitics" when they criticise Isreal).

Here are some UN clips (another of the anti-semitics):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h889uANoWc&feature=fvw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq3hbwNYLaA

CNN (Hamas' co-conspirators)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ain9mx4ZWFU (Please note the part they said Gaza was one of the most impoverished places in the world and how shortages of things like baby food [you know, those bomb making equipments])

China (another of the anti-semitics)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siur1VKPNkY&feature=related

and where did they refute the fact that Israel supplies Gaza with no less than 15000 tons of supplies daily? When has Gaza complained that it hasnt recieved electricity (supplied by Israel even though the UN and channel 4 dont tell you that)? When did you see any complaint in your links?
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by Beaf: 11:03pm On Jun 07, 2010
frosbel:

Keep displaying your ignorance for all to see.

Find out the proportion settlers that are of Russian, Polish and other East European origin and weep for yourself.
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by Sagamite(m): 11:42pm On Jun 07, 2010
davidylan:

Daft. 80% live off UN aid based exactly on what? UN data? You dismiss CONFIRMED data from Israel but swallow nonsensical statistics from the UN WITHOUT PROOF?

Confirmed by who?

Isreal?

Please inform me on who did the "confirmation".

So your logic is that, you trust Isreal's info in a conflict ISREAL itself is part of over the UN's info (with the UN representatives mainly being from countries that are isreal's allies)?

Please tell me, apart from Isreal/IDF, who else do you regard as a "reliable" source of information on what is happening in Palestine?

davidylan:

There is no blockade in the westbank, at least over 50% live on UN aid, the Gaza blockade started in January 2009 (4 yrs AFTER Israeli withdrawal), you intend to tell us here that all those now on UN aid just got there because of a blockade that is 1 yr old?

So it is 50% in West Bank? So why is it more in Gaza? So the UN was right when they said the blockade is increasing those on food aid?

Or you trust UN data on West Bank, but not on Gaza?

davidylan:

There are palestinians in Syria, Lebanon and Jordan . . . more than 50% of whom depend on UN aid . . . and just where is the blockade affecting them there?

You are comparing the plights of refugees? You want them to be prospering in foreign land? Are you really serious about this comparison?

davidylan:

Unbelievable. The analogy was quite simple, that you wont get it is indicative of your own mindset. You imply that the poverty in Gaza is due to the blockade . . . and i asked . . . so what was the poverty level in Gaza pre-blockade in 2008? Zero?

POVERTY HAS INCREASED SINCE THE BLOCKADE? So how is it not because of the blockade poverty has increased? If it is not, so what is making it increase and worse than the West Bank?

davidylan:

Gaza has a GDP per capita of about $2900, slightly lower than that of India and much more than that of Nigeria. Gaza has a yrly budget of about $2.3bn and an export economy worth about $301m. Gaza was exporting no less than 25,000 workers to Israel up until the second intifada in 2000.

What period is your data for?

And, knowing you, who is the source?

davidylan:

Quite silly, the lists i presented earlier did not come from the IDF . . . the army has nothing to do with supplies to Gaza. That is handled by the Israeli government. The list is NOT contested by HAMAS, the UN, the EU which pays for Gaza's oil even though its shipped through Israel. Sorry this are not "biased sources" but FACTS. On what do you base your own claims? Empty noise?

grin grin grin grin grin

What is the difference between IDF and Isreali government? They have different agenda's?

davidylan:

and where did they refute the fact that Israel supplies Gaza with no less than 15000 tons of supplies daily? When has Gaza complained that it hasnt recieved electricity (supplied by Israel even though the UN and channel 4 dont tell you that)? When did you see any complaint in your links?

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

15K tons that the UN said is only about a third of what is needed?

You are asking me where has Gaza complained?  grin grin grin grin

Who are the people in the news report by Chinese, Western and Arab news? Hollywood actors?
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by dayokanu(m): 11:44pm On Jun 07, 2010
In another escalation of the tension off Gaza's shores, Israeli naval forces shot and killed four men wearing wet suits off the coast on Monday, and the militant group [b]Al-Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades said they were members of its marine unit training for a mission.[/[/b]quote]

Did anyone notice this part of cohomology's article?
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by na2day(m): 3:37am On Jun 08, 2010
On a lighter mood  grin
I just saw this  shocked
[flash=400,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOGG_osOoVg&hl=en[/flash]
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by na2day(m): 3:59am On Jun 08, 2010
On a serious note, iran is trying to start a war with israel

[size=14pt]Iran raises Gaza threat by vowing to challenge Israel's blockade[/size]

Iran sought to push Israel into a potentially explosive confrontation in the Mediterranean Sea after a charity close to the Islamic regime announced plans to send two aid ships to Gaza.
The Iranian Red Crescent Society said 8,000 volunteers had enlisted for an attempt break Israel's maritime blockade of Gaza.
The latest challenge to Israel's hold over the enclave comes just days after its naval commandos shot dead nine pro-Palestinian activists on a Turkish vessel that attempted to run the blockade last week.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/israel/7809224/Iran-raises-Gaza-threat-by-vowing-to-challenge-Israels-blockade.html

[size=14pt]Iran to Gaza Aid Ships: We'll Escort You[/size]

(Newser) – If aid ships want to try breaking Israel's naval blockade on Gaza again, they'll have the full force and military escort of Iran's Revolutionary Guard to do it, a spokesman for the Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei said today. "Iran's Revolutionary Guards naval forces are fully prepared to escort the peace and freedom convoys to Gaza with all their powers and capabilities," said the rep.

"If the Supreme Leader issues an order for this then the Revolutionary Guard naval forces will do their best to secure the ships," the spokesman continued. "It is Iran's duty to defend the innocent people of Gaza." The move will enrage Israel, which has accused Iran of supplying Hamas, notes Reuters; PM Benjamin Netanyahu has vowed to uphold the blockade to prevent "an Iranian port in Gaza."

http://www.newser.com/story/91534/iran-to-gaza-aid-ships-well-escort-you.html
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by Beaf: 6:09am On Jun 08, 2010
CNN has said that there is the potential of Iranian military escorts already on the way. But lets wait and see if that materialises.
If it does, its WWIII! Iranians were known to sacrifice themselves willingly to clear minefields by simply walking or running in so that their "brothers" could come through. . . The Mullahs just might be unhinged enough to set this ball rolling.

Prophecy - Hearken ye! In this bombed out abyss used to exist a country called Israel, in the other used to exist another called Iran. . . embarassed
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by dayokanu(m): 6:12am On Jun 08, 2010
So this would be the end of Am-a-dinner-jack

I trust the IDF, Just 2 weeks of war without media coverage on both sides. Thats all that is needed.

If Iran thinks she is strong enough let her aggress Israel and warn all other Arab nations step down so Israel can concentrate all efforts on Tehran and watch IDF blitzrieg em.

Ahmedinejad should read about Anwar Sadat
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by dayokanu(m): 6:14am On Jun 08, 2010
Beaf I am on CNN website and cant see anything like that
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by Mariory(m): 7:03am On Jun 08, 2010
News from Turkey. Poor foolish Erdoğan must be wondering how his PR stunt has gone so wrong with deputies in the Turkish Parliament joining the opposition.

Hitting out at the prime minister’s accusations that he is an advocate for Israel, the main opposition leader has said the ruling party should look within its own ranks for supporters of Tel Aviv.

“I am not the advocate of Israel but of the public,” Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu, the leader of the Republican People’s Party, or CHP, said Monday, adding that Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan should examine the statements of his own deputy.
http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/n.php?n=kilicdaroglu-lashes-out-at-pm8217s-remark-on-8216lawyer-issue8217-2010-06-07

Turkish viewpoint
As for the Turkish side, there are equally – if not more – serious questions to be asked and we are happy to see that they are slowly but surely surfacing now. The most important of these questions must of course be this: How can such a large country as Turkey with interests in four continents, and with an export and investment driven economy requiring extra caution all around the globe be dragged to the brink of war by a nongovernmental organization?

_ _ _

Neither is this the first instance of this group putting Turkey in a difficult situation diplomatically after it was aided and abetted by the ruling Justice and Development Party, or AKP. It will be recalled that the same group tried to force its way through the sealed off Rafah gate between Egypt and Gaza some months ago, only to end up clashing with Egyptian forces and straining ties between Ankara and Cairo.
http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/n.php?n=much-to-ponder-for-turkey-and-israel-once-the-dust-settles-2010-06-07
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by Pharoh: 7:06am On Jun 08, 2010
dayokanu:

They will only escort if the humanitarian agencies requested but this statement is just from the supreme leader Khomeini ayatollah.  But two ships from iran will be going to gaza this week from the Iranian red crescent but i don't know if they will be escorted by the revolutionary guards. One with aids and the other one full of activist only, so it will be a very dicey situation i think.

Abbas is in turkey right now to question their support for hamas and their request to lift the blockade then he is going to Egypt to request they close back the rafah border crossings unless they are involved in every decisions. Please read the link below.

http://www.jpost.com/MiddleEast/Article.aspx?ID=177779
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by Pharoh: 7:10am On Jun 08, 2010
Mariory:

News from Turkey. Poor foolish Erdoğan must be wondering how his PR stunt has gone so wrong with deputies in the Turkish Parliament joining the opposition.
http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/n.php?n=kilicdaroglu-lashes-out-at-pm8217s-remark-on-8216lawyer-issue8217-2010-06-07

Turkey has just resumed fighting with the kurds and five turkey soldiers are dead at the moment, Kurdistan villages are being bombed right now.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/turkey-locks-horns-with-kurds-again/article1595640/
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by Mariory(m): 7:12am On Jun 08, 2010
The truth continues to flow. Imagine the outcry if it was Israel that did this.

It has been seven years since the Turkish army burst into this tiny hillside village on the silk road, gave its 70 residents 24 hours to leave or be shot, and then burned and destroyed all its buildings and fields.

In a ruthless counterinsurgency strategy meant to end terrorist attacks by the Kurdish-separatist PKK guerrillas and to ethnically “Turkify” the region, the army drove at least a million Kurds out of their homes. Ruined Kurdish villagers choked the region’s cities and fled to other cities and countries.

This week, only months after some of the villagers were reunited with the ruins of their homes in a large-scale peace and reconciliation effort, the killings, reprisals and terror campaigns began again.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/turkey-locks-horns-with-kurds-again/article1595640/
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by Beaf: 7:28am On Jun 08, 2010
dayokanu:

It was said during an interview with the Israeli ambassador by Wolf Blitzer (Situation Room). He was goading him into saying what Israel would do. I doubt you would see that on the CNN website, except the video is put up later.
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by Cohomology: 7:54am On Jun 08, 2010
The day of reckoning for evil Israel is near.
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by Afam(m): 8:11am On Jun 08, 2010
Quote from: davidylan on Yesterday at 08:45:21 PM

The trouble is that there three main posters, those that hate Israel with a passion, no matter what evidence you place before them their attitude is " I have made my mind up don't confuse me with facts. We all know who these people are because their names come up time and time again. The second type are those who are pro Israel like you and I who know what the real situation is. The third group are those who do not know what to believe, they might well see through the massive distortions and lies by Hamas/Turkey but still feel because so many people are against Israel there must be truth in numbers. I hope that these people, the third group, will realize sooner or later what the truth really is.

Group 3 - Sagamite

I hate every single killing of the innocent by Israel as much as I hate every single killing of the innocent by Hamas or any group or nation in the world.

This has always been my position and will remain so forever because this position is based on justice, fairness and equity.

Unlike the clown that was quoted above I don't believe in blanket condemnation or commendation.

Anyone that is uncomfortable with my position is free to take otapiapia.
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by Romeo4real(m): 2:13pm On Jun 08, 2010
@ davidylan -

The trouble is that there three main posters, those that hate Israel with a passion, no matter what evidence you place before them their attitude is " I have made my mind up don't confuse me with facts.

What irrational nonsense. Assertion is NOT evidence. Please show us any evidence you have put forward anywhere? Show me the "facts" you have put forward? You were consistently challenged to back up your "facts" with proof, but you scupperd away. It pays to know who's in the playground before you start throwing your weight around.

It is a well known tactic of Israeli apologists to accuse anyone who disagrees with Israel's vile apartheid policies and actions as "Israeli haters".

And this quote just made me laugh! - "The second type are those who are pro Israel like you and I who know what the real situation is"
I guess you have to be "pro Israel" to know what the "real" situation is. What a deep chasm of logic!

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply)

Why I Banned My Ministers From Marrying Extra Wives - Mohamed Bazoum / Tennessee Floods: 15 Killed Including Twin Toddlers, More Than 30 Missing(Pix) / Tonga Hit By Tsunami After Underwater Volcano Erupts (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.