Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,290 members, 7,822,433 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:12 AM

Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? (8294 Views)

Mbu Deployed As AIG In charge Of Lagos, Ogun States / All Progressive Congress (APC) Party: ANPP, CPC, ACN And APGA Finally Merged / ACN, CPC, ANPP And APGA Merged Officially? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by Kobojunkie: 11:05pm On May 31, 2010
I don't think this is ALL about the power gurus not wanting this. You need to understand the people as well. Do the people want this? The Ogun people are proud people - so are the people of Lagos. Completely different Yorubas when you really examine cultures in both states. Both states have serious potentials so I do not see the necessity for a merger. Ogun has great potential and can actually do really well compared to other states out there that only exist because allocations continue each month. You remove the allocations and I am certain Ogun is one of the states that will survive.
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by AndreUweh(m): 11:14pm On May 31, 2010
A merger between Lagos and Ogun state should be supported. This will leave the South west with 5 states .
There should also be mergers in the south south. Probably, Rivers and Bayelsa. This lives the group with 5 states.
North central states of Plateau and Nasarawa should be merged as well so as to have 5 states in the north central.
North east, Gombe and Bauchi merger will produce 5 states in that zone.
Lastly, north west states of Sokoto, Zamfara and Kebbi should be brought together as one state. This will make the zone to have 5 states.
All the geo- political zones should have 5 states each. It is mischievous as we as a foul play for some zones to have 7 states, some with 6 states and another with only 5 states. Enough of this nonsense.
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by logic101: 11:24pm On May 31, 2010
the merging of two states does not translate to economies of scale
merging of two states just because some ethnic groups get along does not to translate to a better standard of living
the state lagos state has its own problems due to overpopulation
it should therefore be the entrepreneurs and real estate investors who should build houses in areas in ogun state close to lagos due to expansion
conclusion
rather than making a vague and lofty statement that lagos should be merged with ogun
it should said  that  lagos and ogun state should co-oporate and develop policies that would benefit both states
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by Desola(f): 11:27pm On May 31, 2010
Ikorodu was originally called Oko Odu which was founded and created by farmers from Remo. Read up on your history! Ikorodu is historically Ijebu and certainly of Remo extract!

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by benzine: 12:06am On Jun 01, 2010
Merge those two states, reduce the corruption, minimize administration cost but maximize the political assasinations - cos the available positions obviously become fewer and only the meanest can get em.
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by eleven(m): 12:33am On Jun 01, 2010
I love this topic and I believe this idea is a seed planted for the future of not only Lagos and Ogun state as requested but some other states too.

Economically it will benefit both states because Administrative cost will be reduced and politically it will make a lot of sense.

Though the merger is gradually happening as currently some people work in Lagos and live in Ogun.

The possibility looks bleak becuase of our social grand standing and ego challengies but it is POSSIBLE and it can happen.

@ OP

Please set up a poll so we can vote our choices.
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by abdulram: 12:55am On Jun 01, 2010
I agree with you but i think we should go further than that.
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by davidif: 1:01am On Jun 01, 2010
This is excellent, i think my home state should remerge with Ondo state also. IN FACT WHILE THEY ARE AT IT, NIGERIA SHOULD ONLY HAVE 6 STATES LIKE THE DAYS OF OLD WITH EACH LGA BEING SELF SUFFICIENT.
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by Nobody: 1:07am On Jun 01, 2010
Desola:

Ikorodu was originally called Oko Odu which was founded and created by farmers from Remo. Read up on your history! Ikorodu is historically Ijebu and certainly of Remo extract!

i doubt kobojunkie has ever heard the word remo talkless ikorodu.
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by Kobojunkie: 1:18am On Jun 01, 2010
davidif:

This is excellent, i think my home state should remerge with Ondo state also. IN FACT WHILE THEY ARE AT IT, NIGERIA SHOULD ONLY HAVE 6 STATES LIKE THE DAYS OF OLD WITH EACH LGA BEING SELF SUFFICIENT.

If your home state is Ekiti, then I agree.
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by udezue(m): 1:22am On Jun 01, 2010
Whatever floats ya boat. Not a bad idea. We need less states or equal number states for each zone.
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by Acidosis(m): 1:51am On Jun 01, 2010
The Clown:

good one.
my one suggestion is;
why not take the Idomas from Benue State and the Igalas from Kogi State and merge them to become one state? These two people profess brotherhood to each other so much that you cannot readily differentiate an Idoma Man from an Igala man. Most timeS they understand each other and bear the same names. Why leave the Igalas with the Okuns and Igbiras with whom they have close to nothing in common? Again, why leave Idomas with the Tivs with whom they practically have nothing in common? And the case is, why the Idomas are practically diminished unto in existence in Benue State, the Igalas are excessively exerting to the point of arrogant dominance in Kogi State, bringing to mind the notion that they are making up for their brothers' predicament in Benue State. PLEASE MERGE THEM AND CREATE ATMOSPHERE FOR PEACE. Kogites, what do you say?

God bless you. That's a good point!
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by Alxmyr(m): 1:58am On Jun 01, 2010
Another worthless discussion.
Waste of thread,
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by ulovecasca(m): 2:04am On Jun 01, 2010
Don't try this, unless you care thinking of 1st Country war.
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by OAM4J: 2:09am On Jun 01, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I know this to be the case because I spent quite a significant portion of my life in the one, and spent some years schooling in the other- long enough to understand there are differences between Ijebu folks(both those who live in Ijebu itself and those who live in Ikorodu) and the Ikorodu ijinles in Ikorodu.

Here is a piece on the history of the town
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/282631/Ikorodu
Even the dialect is quite different.

Kobo, Ikorodus are Ijebus, likewise some part of Epe in Lagos. Even the link you posted does not suggest otherwise.

The Ijebu dialect differs from one region of Ijebu to another.

@topic.
I have nothing to say cos i know such merger will not happen in this present Nigeria.
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by Kobojunkie: 2:12am On Jun 01, 2010
OAM4J:

Kobo, Ikorodus are Ijebus, likewise some part of Epe in Lagos. Even the link you posted does not suggest otherwise.

The Ijebu dialect differs from one region of Ijebu to another.

Uumm . . .  That is not what it says. Read it again. The Aworis are not Ijebus. Most of Lagos, Ikorodu included is awori and not Ijebu

town, Lagos state, southwestern Nigeria. It lies near the Lagos Lagoon, on the Bight of Benin, 14 miles (23 km) northwest of Lagos.[size=13pt] A traditional settlement of the Awori people (a subgroup of the Yoruba), [/size] it became important in the mid-19th century as a trading post of the Remo (Ijebu-Remo) kingdom on the trade route from Lagos to Ibadan. During the Ibadan-Ijaiye wars (1860–65), [size=13pt]the Ikorodu traders, encouraged by both Ibadan and Lagos, decided to break from their Ijebu overlords [/size] and smuggled arms across the Ijebu-Egba blockade to Ibadan (58 miles [93 km] north-northeast). In 1865, when the Egba decided to punish Ikorodu, British forces from Lagos intervened and decisively defeated the Egba army in a battle at Ikorodu.

Yes dialects differ from one region of Ijebu to the other but yet none the same with what you have in Ikorodu.
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by OAM4J: 2:27am On Jun 01, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Uumm . . .  That is not what it says. Read it again. The Aworis are not Ijebus. Most of Lagos, Ikorodu included is awori and not Ijebu
Yes dialects differ from one region of Ijebu to the other but yet none the same with what you have in Ikorodu.

Aworis? You really dont know Lagos. Aworis bother never reach majidun not to talk of Ikorodu. (Lagos consist of 4 major groups, The Eko people cool, the Awori, the Egun and Ijebus)

Forget the common Yoruba dialect you find on the streets of Ikorodu, the real Ikorodu (Awon omo Oga) speak Ijebu dialect (one of my ex is from Ikorodu) and their traditional food is Ikokore same with other Ijebus.

I was born, bread and buttered in Lagos and my mum is Ijebu. cool
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by Nobody: 2:34am On Jun 01, 2010
Kobo, Ikorodus are Ijebus, likewise some part of Epe in Lagos. Even the link you posted does not suggest otherwise

i tire.

kobojunkie should post two sentences in ikorodu(ijebu) dialect within the next two minutes, to convince us here that s/he knows what s/he's talking about.
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by Kobojunkie: 2:36am On Jun 01, 2010
OAM4J:

Aworis? You really dont know Lagos. Aworis bother never reach majidun not to talk of Ikorodu. (Lagos consist of 4 major groups, The Eko people cool, the Awori, the Egun and Ijebus)

Forget the common Yoruba dialect you find on the streets of Ikorodu, the real Ikorodu (Awon omo Oga) speak Ijebu dialect (one of my ex is from Ikorodu) and their traditional food is Ikokore same with other Ijebus.
I was born, bread and buttered in Lagos and my mum is Ijebu. cool

That Ikorodus eat Ikokore does not mean they are Ijebus. What you hear in Ikorodu is not really same as the common yoruba dialect. Oga does not speak Ijebu. Ikorodu definitely might have some Ijebus in it(well duh) but Ikorodu is not Ijebu.
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by Nobody: 2:37am On Jun 01, 2010
kobojunkie should post two sentences in ikorodu(ijebu) dialect within the next two minutes, to convince us here that s/he knows what s/he's talking about.
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by OAM4J: 2:46am On Jun 01, 2010
Kobojunkie:

That Ikorodus eat Ikokore does not mean they are Ijebus. What you hear in Ikorodu is not really same as the common yoruba dialect. Oga does not speak Ijebu. Ikorodu definitely might have some Ijebus in it(well duh) but Ikorodu is not Ijebu.

I didnt say they just eat ikokore (of course anybody can eat it) I said ikokore is their traditional food. Did you ever heard Oga speaking or you have some of his recorded speech?

And have you really ever heard the Awori's dialect (Because I lived among them in Isolo/Okota) it's nothing near what Ikorodu people speak - Fact
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by OAM4J: 3:02am On Jun 01, 2010

The history of Ikorodu is as rich as the enviable track record of its sons and daughters who have not only excelled in their chosen careers, but have also left their footprints on virtually all the strata of our national history for posterity to see. It is the history of a people whose ancestors, according to available history, descended from the Remo stock of Yoruba tribe who came settle on a plateau and named it Ikorodu, a shortened word from-Oko Odu-which literally means Odu farm. Odu now in extinct vegetables specie used for cloth dying, grew luxuriantly on this plateau, hence the early settlers for want of a better name, found it convenient to name their new found settlement after this abundant vegetable.

With time, Okorodu changed to Ikorodu. The fact of the history seems to tilt in favour of Oga as the founder of Ikorodu. This by extension, confirms the Remo link in the origin of Ikorodu. The males among the early settlers in Ikorodu had facial tribal marks found among the Remo. The late Oba Adenaike Alagbe had such tribal marks.

The new settlement in the heart of a massive forest was first used by the sons of Akarigbo, Koyelu of Orile Offin Shagamu-Oga, Lasuwon, Rademo, Anoko, Osonusi (alias Ogbonyari) Igimisoje, Otutubiosun, Oladepo and Seku made. The extended area now known as Ikorodu was used by these sons of Akarigbo of Ijebu Remo for hunting and farming. As to the time of founding of the first settlement, we found it convenient to repeat ‘Igbogbo E Ko Do, KI Pakodo I do, KI Koodu I do.’

http://www.ikoroduoga.net/history.html

Ikorodu Oga; We the citizens of Ikorodu Town of Lagos State of Nigeria, in UK & Ireland have found a common ground for embracing ourselves and appreciate the value of a concerted effort towards the co-ordination of social-cultural activities geared towards the development of our people and town.

We have decided that for the ultimate reason of realising the objectives we set ourselves and establishment of an organisational structure for the purpose of execution of intents and purposes.

As a result of the above we have decided to enact for ourselves a governing document which shall take precedence over in all matters to which it relates and shall from the nucleus of rules and regulations, decisions and resolution, etc. (Powers)

Background; Ikorodu town is a division of Lagos State of Nigeria. Ikorodu Town, Title Head, Ayangburen of Ikorodu We have been blessed with a strong common language, which is "Ijebu". In Nigeria today, Ikorodu town remains as the most elegant and sociable society in the country. It is on the basis of profound love and a strong cordial relationship in midst of this town, which inspired a group of indigenes of Ikorodu Town that prompted them to find a common ground for embracing ourselves in the United Kingdom and Ireland

http://www.ikoroduoga.net/homepage.html

Kobo, need more?
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by member479760: 3:10am On Jun 01, 2010
Nawa for my people o, yesterday the song na separation, today na merger weytin go be to-row? Anyway, we need more states for the money and power to reach many people.
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by bawomolo(m): 4:29am On Jun 01, 2010
great idea, Osun State should also be reintegrated back into the old Oyo too.

The only problem though is that lagos has created an identity of its own that a merger would be real difficult.

nakedall:

Nawa for my people o, yesterday the song na separation, today na merger weytin go be to-row? Anyway, we need more states for the money and power to reach many people.

umm a larger bureaucracy actually means less money for development.
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by Nobody: 5:31am On Jun 01, 2010
so are the majority on nl saying they want most of the newer states to be reintegrated with their former states?

leave this issue of lagos and ogun for now, since they were hardly one entity in the first place.
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by davidif: 6:00am On Jun 01, 2010
Alxmyr:

Another worthless discussion.
Waste of thread,

WHY IS IT A WASTED THREAD? BECAUSE YOU WANT TO CHOP MONEY RIGHT.
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by Lolladey(f): 6:01am On Jun 01, 2010
who is sayin that Ikorodu people are not ijebus. They are and its a well known story for those that are of the ijebu origin.ikorodu was a farm for many ijebu towns where they go to plant food crops especially vegetables which is the efo odu.its like sayin that epe people are not ijebus cos they are now part of lagos or even imota and agbowa
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by novaman: 7:26am On Jun 01, 2010
We have talked about this in the past, as far as am concern, I do not think Nigeria needs more than 6 regions, which governors very independent with the control of their resources; while just between 15% to 20% of all the regions earning should be for the FG.

The Population is not up to that of Brazil, yet they have less state, see South Africa, with only 9 regions, little wonder why these countries are improving, South Africa just only few year after Apartheid they have hosted the Rugby, Cricket world cup, now they are hosting the soccer world cup, Brazil will be hosting their second world in 2014, but we are not even considered in the next 30 years; we should merge all the state in the 6 regions, and we can start from there.
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by Omolulu(m): 7:50am On Jun 01, 2010
i believe the issue in neither with regions or state, both work fine for me, although i prefer states in place, our experience with both regions and states have shown that the key issue are the people who run them, because of a multi-ethnic society like Nigeria in which you find variety of indigeneous tribes in each state administration becomes more political whereby we have squabbles over where the next governor should come from or where the next general hospital should be located, with the volatile nature of our politics i doubt if such a merger would hold water for long irrespective of any economic argument( and this should never be the only factor considered in administration). as someone on this thread said the 2 states have their own identity and it would be best to leave them that way.

nonetheless the quality and pace of leadership and admin should be our main focus, this is Nigeria anyway, a country where economic suggestions are left in cabinets and files for a thousand years,
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by CarlosVent(m): 7:52am On Jun 01, 2010
this wil be nice but will bring enemity between the yoruba tribe that has been in peace for a long time.
so no need
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by mustafar1: 8:04am On Jun 01, 2010
Kobojunkie, because u think they are not doesn't mean they are not ijebu's
I don't know if u've ever heard the phrase, 'ijebu-ikorodu'
Re: Why Can't Lagos And Ogun States Be Merged? by Abagworo(m): 8:29am On Jun 01, 2010
that ijebu is ikorodu or ikorodu is hausa has nothing to do with this wonderful idea of merging lagos and ogun states.it should not be ethnic based but on relevant economic advantage for southwest and nigeria at large.rivers and bayelsa merger will be a disaster because it will leave bayelsa backward.enugu,ebonyi and northern crossriver should be merged while southern crossriver should be merged with akwa-ibom.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Do The Igbos Hate Buhari? - The Nation / Atiku Abubakar Picks Emeka Ihedioha As Running Mate / Court Hears Suit Seeking Atiku’s Prosecution March 7

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.