Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,875 members, 7,821,043 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:19 AM

Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) (31164 Views)

“I Don’t Want To Be Responsible For Traumatising Children” - Chimamanda Adichie / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast / Ivara Esege, Chimamanda Adichie's Husband, Pictured With Her Brother, Kene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by GiantParrot(m): 6:56pm On Jun 07, 2018
baum1:

Nice argument, especially last paragraph. But it will be said that they are doing catching up with those policies because they have been subdued and stifled for too long, i.e. balancing the inequality which rode on the back of unfairness to the female folks hundreds of years ago..Lol. And the argument could sound plausible.

Interesting argument. It creates more questions for me though. Why should a woman today get preferential policies because her grandmother experienced oppression? Did she inherit some of the oppression through her DNA? And considering that the vast majority of human beings, regardless of gender, where oppressed in the past, who's looking at the legitimate interests of those individual males whose grandfathers were victims of oppression as well but are yet not given a fair chance to compete for certain roles because other elite men have decided that those roles should go to women? Do we now excuse discrimination on the basis of gender because it favours women? Also, Why then were preferential policies not introduced for blacks in competitive sports like basketball that were white dominated in national scenes for years until segregation laws were abrogated? Is it not clear that blacks came to dominate basketball and athletics by their own merit without the need for quotas? Shouldn't the same argument hold for women? I wouldn't want to derail this thread any further. These discussions deserve a thread of their own.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by boringnigerian: 7:02pm On Jun 07, 2018
I just came on this thread to see how many people would miss the point of what she was saying.

I'm not disappointed.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by boringnigerian: 7:05pm On Jun 07, 2018
Bonapart:
shut up

Typical.

No rational counter argument.

Straight to being offensive.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by Toks2008(m): 7:06pm On Jun 07, 2018
Makes sense....i open doors for both sexes and I also wait for both sexes to go ahead while entering a bus..it should not be a specific gender thing.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by Nobody: 7:17pm On Jun 07, 2018
pocohantas:
Sensational headline!

[s]She said holding doors shouldn't be a gender thing. We should hold doors for each other, or anyone that needs such help...not just because she is a woman!

She went on to add that, in the event of danger---the first set of people to be evacuated should be those that are weak/unwell. Not only women and children.[/s]

Protect those that need protection, irrespective of their gender.

Story for tortoise. Even in the event of Danger. A Man is suppose to stand & protect his family. If death should come calling. He should stand firm to protect or Die for his Wife and kids. If anyone must be evacuated in a case Fire incidents, Women and kids should/must be evacuated first. Especially the female children first. Except if the Male children are below 12 years or too young. That is the logical thing to do. It has nothing to do with African mentality now. It is still a Role that even married Western folks practice till date. No rule in Gender quality changes that.

Even in Western movies when incidents happen, Please tell me who are evacuated first? You think the writers are stupid. Hell No.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by wman(m): 7:26pm On Jun 07, 2018
I wish feminism will continue to focus on salient issues like getting more girls better opportunities to get educated, allowing girls take initiatives in the work place, preventing sexual abuse of women etc.

Instead of trivial issues like door opening, titles etc.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by ojsunny01: 7:28pm On Jun 07, 2018
Pls is this woman married??
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by ghoste: 7:31pm On Jun 07, 2018
Maybe her husband should lay down so she can Bleep him and feel like his equal...
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by ireneidiva(f): 7:36pm On Jun 07, 2018
johnbuck81:
offcourse...claiming equal rights with ur husband is disrespect.
So when she says men holding doors for women troubles her, that is disrespect? lol. Human beings!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by Duru009(m): 7:41pm On Jun 07, 2018
Keep deceiving our young ladies like linda ikeja did!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by pocohantas(f): 7:46pm On Jun 07, 2018
cruchenutii:

Story for tortoise. Even in the event of Danger. A Man is suppose to stand & protect his family. If death should come calling. He should stand firm to protect or Die for his Wife and kids. If anyone must be evacuated in a case Fire incidents, Women and kids should/must be evacuated first. Especially the female children first. Except if the Male children are below 12 years or too young. That is the logical thing to do. It has nothing to do with African mentality now. It is still a Role that even married Western folks practice till date. No rule in Gender quality changes that.

Even in Western movies when incidents happen, Please tell me who are evacuated first? You think the writers are stupid. Hell No.

Forgive me for this, you're very stupid.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by Nobody: 7:48pm On Jun 07, 2018
Wait till you meet SauceEEP
pocohantas:

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by Thegamingorca(m): 7:55pm On Jun 07, 2018
pocohantas:

grin stop nahhh that was quite mean
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by IamGodsGrace(f): 7:56pm On Jun 07, 2018
johnbuck81:
I swear...this woman no know were dey pain
her.

women like this are so loyal to their husband indoors while they come out forming James Bond deceiving other women.
honestly! my feminist lecturer in school will preach feminism to us, but every Wednesday she leaves town to go and visit her hubby in Abuja!
if na equal rights, shey the visiting should be turn by turn? she goes to Abuja one week then he comes over the next week to see her?
She know say uni Abuja girls no dey joke! she has to go and mark her territory weekly.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by trappatoni(m): 8:13pm On Jun 07, 2018
diegwu02:
It is safe to say Chimamanda Has a problem with Everything undecided undecided undecided
This is what I'm beginning to think so too. I like Chimamanda but I think she is taking it too far. God will bless you

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by Theflint1(m): 8:17pm On Jun 07, 2018
Saving women and children during emergencies is a default move to preserve ourselves and ensure procreation...one man saved alongside 50 women, great; 50 men saved alongside one woman, a disaster.

pocohantas:
Sensational headline!

She said holding doors shouldn't be a gender thing. We should hold doors for each other, or anyone that needs such help...not just because she is a woman!

She went on to add that, in the event of danger---the first set of people to be evacuated should be those that are weak/unwell. Not only women and children.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by VULCAN(m): 8:31pm On Jun 07, 2018
And how do you confirm those who are weak and unwell in an emergency?

Perhaps they should tender their doctors report before evacuation?

pocohantas:
Sensational headline!

She said holding doors shouldn't be a gender thing. We should hold doors for each other, or anyone that needs such help...not just because she is a woman!

She went on to add that, in the event of danger---the first set of people to be evacuated should be those that are weak/unwell. Not only women and children.

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by VULCAN(m): 8:32pm On Jun 07, 2018
A surname is not enough evidence to tender that she is an equal partner.

CSTR1003:

She bears her father's name as her only surname.

It is safe to say she is an equal partner in her home.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by VULCAN(m): 8:35pm On Jun 07, 2018
It's unfortunate that some people equate outward success to inner success.

Kate Spade just killed herself yet she was at the top of her game.

CSTR1003:

If the 2018 Harvard class day speaker is a victim of village people.

Then we should pray for such village people.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by chosenwan1(m): 8:35pm On Jun 07, 2018
lol I can't shout. Your name says it all grin
Follygunners:
Very true... Na the very ugly ones with all the fake, smelly and maggot-infested Brazilian / Spanish hair, bleached-the-fvck-out skin bleachers et al... that expect men to do that. Real women know better... Real women know that doesn't translate to love. cool

Jupiter Thunder fire all those ugly women expecting guys to hold door for them. May those doors be slammed on their fingers! angry angry angry
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by bukatyne(f): 8:36pm On Jun 07, 2018
IamGodsGrace:

honestly! my feminist lecturer in school will preach feminism to us, but every Wednesday she leaves town to go and visit her hubby in Abuja!
if na equal rights, shey the visiting should be turn by turn? she goes to Abuja one week then he comes over the next week to see her?
She know say uni Abuja girls no dey joke! she has to go and mark her territory weekly.

Really?

It seems when people hear 'equality' and 'feminism', logic flies out of the window.

A lecturer visiting her husband weekly when she obviously has the lesser workload is 'inequality'

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by chosenwan1(m): 8:45pm On Jun 07, 2018
Haaa Chima dear. You want to be more Americanah than the Americans. For some people who don't understand what is going on here. Just because you hold the door for someone doesn't mean they are weak. Simple courtesy!!! She is getting airtime for a purpose obviously, some twisted persons want her to keep churning that garbage to brainless people.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by okwabayi(m): 9:05pm On Jun 07, 2018
A lot of women love this thing especially ugly girls. It makes them feel special.
She's right but she's criticizing the white man's culture. The only African men I see do this are exposed ones or those yet to chop a woman's kpekus.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by skales67(m): 9:07pm On Jun 07, 2018
martyns303:
Holding the door open for a woman is not cos u think she is weak, it's a sign of respect, u honor ur woman enough to give her that courtesy. This woman need to understand the difference between being a feminist and being plain silly.

Where in the writeup did she talk about holding the door for women meaning a sign of of weakness?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jun 07, 2018
pocohantas:

Excellent. I like the fact that you have nothing logical to say as a response. You have to result in Insult. Take your L in peace.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by aalangel(f): 9:21pm On Jun 07, 2018
Chimamanda has a problem with everything... I hope she's okay upstairs.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by godofuck231: 9:29pm On Jun 07, 2018
Muckross1122:
Nigerian novelist "Chimamanda adichie" in a recent interview said she have trouble with men holding the door for women.

"i think it is lovely thing to hold the door but we should hold the door for everyone, like i hold the door for men and women. So i think the idea of holding the door for a woman because she is a woman, i think i have trouble with it" She said

Watch The Interview Video Below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1G9uIgtMKo

Source:
http://nairaplus.com/2018/06/i-have-trouble-with-men-holding-the-door-for-women-chimamanda/

Try and get married then you can open the door for him and your children, your Babes fingers won't get you nowhere not even a 10 inches Love Machine

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by pocohantas(f): 9:31pm On Jun 07, 2018
Theflint1:
Saving women and children during emergencies is a default move to preserve ourselves and ensure procreation...one man saved alongside 50 women, great; 50 men saved alongside one woman, a disaster.

I didn't look at it from this perspective and I bet she didn't either. But I still see nothing wrong in her message, this time.
Maybe she should have used some other illustration wink

Thegamingorca:

grin stop nahhh that was quite mean

I know. If he wants to talk, he should not strike out my post. Mi oraye oshi angry
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by Stormborn86: 9:33pm On Jun 07, 2018
Tats:
#Holdingthedoor grin
You reminded me of Hodor in game of thrones. grin
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by godofuck231: 9:35pm On Jun 07, 2018
diegwu02:
It is safe to say Chimamanda Has a problem with Everything undecided undecided undecided

Menopause is knocking, that how u know, they start cranking, hot flashes...........

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by godofuck231: 9:39pm On Jun 07, 2018
Kyllahmc:
Women are trying so hard to do everything a man can do... meanwhile they are losing their value.
cos women aren't meant to do everything a man can do... they were actually meant to do everything a man can not do.

The gods knew about all this happening so they made the men to pee further than them, hence the saying "it's not easy to stand straight and urinate"

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Men Holding The Door For Women Troubles Me" (Video) by godofuck231: 9:40pm On Jun 07, 2018
Ellabae:
I think I like that. It's just part of being a gentleman cheesy

Madam say Na feminist sin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

New Story: 'anini Reloaded' By Ayis Eliboy / Mention Book(s) You Read That Shape Your Life!!! / Most Popular Nigerian Authors On Amazon Books

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.