Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,191 members, 7,811,493 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:01 PM

Concrete Road Technology In Ebonyi State (Photos) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Concrete Road Technology In Ebonyi State (Photos) (29900 Views)

Reps To Investigate Umahi's Concrete Road Technology, Commence Integrity Test On / Picture Of Lekki-Eleko-Epe Concrete Road Under Construction / AG Dangote Completes Apapa-wharf Concrete Road, (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Concrete Road Technology In Ebonyi State (Photos) by Nweze1986: 10:09am On Jun 09, 2018
EXAMINING THE CONCEPT OF CONCRETE ROAD TECHNOLOGY IN EBONYI STATE

By Philip Nweze

It appears the Ebonyi State government may have taken the lead in making the required switch from asphalt to cement technology which is also known as rigid pavement technology in road construction. 

The state, which is experimenting with this technology in road construction on over 10 major roads,  has successfully completed the 23.7km Hilltop-Agbaja-Nwofe state road in Ebonyi North senatorial zone, 15.5km Ehamufu-Umuhali federal road and a section of the 23.5km Okposi Amasiri-Uburu federal road. Undoubtedly, the technology is more durable and more sustainable and will be extended to other roads in Ebonyi.

Other ongoing and completed road projects on rigid pavement include Ezzama-Oshiri-Onicha-Isu-Uburu road, Amasiri-Nguzu-Owutu Edda road, Ntezi-Agba-Isu road, Ndufu-Alike AE-FUNAI, massive internal road networks in Abakaliki city, Onueke and Uburu, and a host of others.

The construction engineers are currently using a mixture of crush rock-based materials and other items to achieve a thickness fill and compaction to the level of 300mm and then cast with concrete reinforcement with 8mm to 10mm high tensil (mash of wires) reinforcement bars over the stabilised base course before treatment with prime coat and asphaltic concrete.

Although the cost of this technology is higher than the conventional construction methods, the state government chose to experiment with it as a way of strengthening the load bearing capacity of some roads in the state and boost the strength and quality of the finished work. Experts say while concrete roads have a sustainable guarantee of minimum of 40 years, asphalt roads last for 10 years. Aside their durability, concrete roads are more environmentally friendly compared to asphalt roads.

Cement technology is used in the construction of airport run-ways, tarmac and places that carry high load bearing capacity, machines and equipment. It is a good solution for achieving sustainable roads in the country. It is better and of a higher value than the conventional method of using only asphalt. 

That is not all. Concrete roads do not require frequent repairs or patch works like asphalt roads. Besides, advancements in concrete technology have reduced the cost of concrete paving while improving performance greatly. For instance, the average life span of concrete pavements is 27.5 years before repair, while asphalt pavements have an average life span of only 15.5 years before repair. 

Furthermore, researches have confirmed that vehicles consume less fuel on concrete roads. Specifically, a vehicle, when run over a concrete road, consumes 15-20 per cent less fuel than that on asphalt road. This, according to experts, is because a concrete road does not get deflected under the wheels of loaded trucks. Unlike asphalt roads, concrete roads do not get damaged by the leaking oils from the vehicles or by the extreme weather conditions like excess rain or extreme heat.

Today, Ebonyi has placed heavy emphasis on this technology and has copied this model to neighbouring states like Abia. Let me place on notice that this invention is Governor Umahi's greatest gift to Ebonyi people.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Concrete Road Technology In Ebonyi State (Photos) by Nweze1986: 10:13am On Jun 09, 2018
Other pictures.

1 Share

Re: Concrete Road Technology In Ebonyi State (Photos) by azimibraun: 10:25am On Jun 09, 2018
They say its better.. But am not sure its for heavy duty vehicles.

8 Likes

Re: Concrete Road Technology In Ebonyi State (Photos) by OfficialAwol(m): 10:33am On Jun 09, 2018
Nweze1986:
Other pictures.

Great job by my digital Governor.

I related something to you the last time but yet to get your response.

Need I add that I'm the Secretary of Ebonyi youths resident in Enugu.

The project I talked about, is a song, with video already shot. Already playing in Salt Fm and Unity Fm.

The song tried to capture the new face of ebonyi to a great extent.

I am trying to get this to you because in my thinking, if your ministry can adopt the song and give a push, it will create a great digital awareness of the laudable achievements of Gov David Umahi.

What do you think Philip?

2 Likes

Re: Concrete Road Technology In Ebonyi State (Photos) by Nweze1986: 10:44am On Jun 09, 2018
OfficialAwol:

Great job by my digital Governor.

I related something to you the last time but yet to get your response.

Need I add that I'm the Secretary of Ebonyi youths resident in Enugu.

The project I talked about, is a song, with video already shot. Already playing in Salt Fm and Unity Fm.

The song tried to capture the new face of ebonyi to a great extent.

I am trying to get this to you because in my thinking, if your ministry can adopt the song and give a push, it will create a great digital awareness of the laudable achievements of Gov David Umahi.

What do you think Philip?
Contact me.

1 Like

Re: Concrete Road Technology In Ebonyi State (Photos) by SadiqBabaSani: 11:30am On Jun 09, 2018
D roads in Majority of yr Pics are Uncompleted, why?

Concrete Road Construction is Too Expensive, Why Bear d cost.

Dave Umayi Is A Northern Puppet, no.matter what he does, He is Still A Failure in my Eyes

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Concrete Road Technology In Ebonyi State (Photos) by agarawu23(m): 12:15pm On Jun 09, 2018
Hmm

Contractors and politicians will now make more money with this concrete roads. Its expensive and the contractors will even take corners and reduce iron and cement.

This is Nigeria

17 Likes

Re: Concrete Road Technology In Ebonyi State (Photos) by inoki247: 12:15pm On Jun 09, 2018
is this your project topic

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Concrete Road Technology In Ebonyi State (Photos) by Donbosco46: 12:16pm On Jun 09, 2018
I think is better too let’s see how it goes years to come

1 Like

Re: Concrete Road Technology In Ebonyi State (Photos) by dreamwords: 12:16pm On Jun 09, 2018
expensive buh strong

3 Likes

Re: Concrete Road Technology In Ebonyi State (Photos) by emmaliveth10(m): 12:16pm On Jun 09, 2018
Road construction without drainage ain‘t gonna last

18 Likes

Re: Concrete Road Technology In Ebonyi State (Photos) by symbianDON(m): 12:17pm On Jun 09, 2018
this is quite impressive! i wish the governors of niger and kogi states will wake from their deep slumber angry

5 Likes

Re: Concrete Road Technology In Ebonyi State (Photos) by victorazyvictor(m): 12:17pm On Jun 09, 2018
HOW DURABLE IS CONCRETE MADE ROADS PLZ?
Re: Concrete Road Technology In Ebonyi State (Photos) by Wisdomkosi(m): 12:19pm On Jun 09, 2018
Umahi has nothing to offer. He ran to Abuja to collect 33 billion because of these projects. I pity Ebonyians who have been blinded.

Real Ebonyians will send Umahi back home, come 2019

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Concrete Road Technology In Ebonyi State (Photos) by Daniel058(m): 12:19pm On Jun 09, 2018
Nweze1986 Remember my comment in ur previous post.. Please reply sir

Dave Umahi bụ ayon geti oo, Anwakwanwa k'iya kpem, bà anwakwa!! grin

3 Likes

Re: Concrete Road Technology In Ebonyi State (Photos) by Martinsvp1(m): 12:19pm On Jun 09, 2018
Concrete pavement is good, but without proper side drain it won't last long,, I can't find any side drain from the pics above....

8 Likes

Re: Concrete Road Technology In Ebonyi State (Photos) by tishbite41(m): 12:20pm On Jun 09, 2018
nonsense Hausa Fulani slave

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Concrete Road Technology In Ebonyi State (Photos) by Nobody: 12:20pm On Jun 09, 2018
Obaseki has done some of this in Edo State, it is not new to anybody. I guess ajegunle has this also

3 Likes

Re: Concrete Road Technology In Ebonyi State (Photos) by Elsalvator38: 12:20pm On Jun 09, 2018
And so make we dey fry beans?

1 Like

Re: Concrete Road Technology In Ebonyi State (Photos) by Lusola15: 12:22pm On Jun 09, 2018
No drainage

2 Likes

Re: Concrete Road Technology In Ebonyi State (Photos) by nothernstar: 12:23pm On Jun 09, 2018
SadiqBabaSani:
D roads in Majority of yr Pics are Uncompleted, why?

Concrete Road Construction is Too Expensive, Why Bear d cost.

Dave Umayi Is A Northern Puppet, no.matter what he does, He is Still A Failure in my Eyes
Why exposing your foolishness. Must you criticise everything. If you don't have a constructive agreement, why not keep quiet rather talking foolishly just because your own stooge in not in power. Pls buy sense inugo.

7 Likes

Re: Concrete Road Technology In Ebonyi State (Photos) by stasius: 12:25pm On Jun 09, 2018
Can dangote lorries ply these roads?
Re: Concrete Road Technology In Ebonyi State (Photos) by SalamRushdie: 12:28pm On Jun 09, 2018
That's not how the concrete roads we see in outside Nigeria looks ooo..this one looks like concrete slab and I doubt if it will support heavy and proper driving
Re: Concrete Road Technology In Ebonyi State (Photos) by saydfact(m): 12:28pm On Jun 09, 2018
Nweze1986:
EXAMINING THE CONCEPT OF CONCRETE ROAD TECHNOLOGY IN EBONYI STATE

By Philip Nweze

about 4mm - 6mm Mesh in a road that's supposed to be heavy duty isnt good enough....

I would have expected T&B reinforcement except you're saying Tippers and articulated vehicles aint allowed here?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/7235172_img20180609095446432_jpeg321ca8310a5e5a0a246961bcee99ba9c

The problem is its all gonna crack in a year plus are there enough expansion joint? the pics don't say so.

We're all learning

4 Likes

Re: Concrete Road Technology In Ebonyi State (Photos) by Pennywise(m): 12:30pm On Jun 09, 2018
Lusola15:
No drainage

Engineer sir, what kind of drainage would you envisage for an express road?

5 Likes

Re: Concrete Road Technology In Ebonyi State (Photos) by Ojiofor: 12:30pm On Jun 09, 2018
Umahi is doing quality projects.

4 Likes

Re: Concrete Road Technology In Ebonyi State (Photos) by SageTravels: 12:31pm On Jun 09, 2018
Wisdomkosi:
Umahi has nothing to offer. He ran to Abuja to collect 33 billion because of these projects. I pity Ebonyians who have been blinded.

Real Ebonyians will send Umahi back home, come 2019

see this one

2 Likes

Re: Concrete Road Technology In Ebonyi State (Photos) by McCoy662(m): 12:33pm On Jun 09, 2018
Concrete or asphalt road, Dave must go come 2019. He has done more harm than good to the state... born again dictator and criminal.

Nweze don't even mention my name oo

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bashir Ahmad Celebrates His Wife, Naeemah Bindawa's Birthday (photo) / Clement Ebri NWC Panel Declares Sanwo-olu Winner Of Lagos APC Primary / Farooq Kperogi: "Amina Zakari Is Lying About Her Relationship With Buhari"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.