Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,698 members, 7,809,642 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:26 PM

Abiola’s GCFR Honour Well Deserved – Senator Melaye - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abiola’s GCFR Honour Well Deserved – Senator Melaye (13592 Views)

Governor Adeleke, Senator Melaye & Dele Momodu In US (Pictures) / Police Siege: Is Senator Melaye Lying About Not Being At Home? / Dino Melaye: "MKO Abiola No Longer Nigerian, Cannot Be Made GCFR" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abiola’s GCFR Honour Well Deserved – Senator Melaye by deantimes(m): 10:04pm On Jun 10, 2018
SENATOR Dino Melaye has described the posthumous national honour bestowed on late Moshood Abiola as a well deserved one.

Late Abiola presumed winner of the 1993 presidential election, was honoured posthumously with the Grand Commander of the Federal Republic (GCFR) award with Mr. Melaye saying it was wrong.

Mr Melaye against his earlier stance on the topic matter said his initial position were misrepresented.

At the Senate plenary on Thursday, the lawmaker had argued that the National Honours Act provides that such a honour be conferred on the recipient in person; and since Mr Abiola is dead, he cannot receive the award.

He added that the act provides that the honour be bestowed on Nigerians and since Mr Abiola is dead, “he is no longer a Nigerian”.

“Subsection 2 of the act says a person shall be eligible for appointment to any rank or holder unless he is a citizen of Nigeria. A dead man is not a citizen of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. We should not be emotional about this. The law remains the law.

“Subject to the next notice, a person shall be appointed to a particular rank of an order when the president receives him in person,” he had said.

But on Sunday, Melaye in a statement backtracked saying his support for the award is unshaken as he had been clamouring for such years earlier.

“Since last two days, I have been inundated with calls and text messages from well-meaning Nigerians especially my constituents, who want to inquire my exact position on the declaration of June 12 as the new Democracy Day and the conferment of the highest National Honours of GCFR on the late Chief MKO Abiola, the presumed winner of June 12, 1993 presidential election.

“For the avoidance of doubt, my views and belief on the sanctity of June 12 and the place of the late Chief MKO Abiola in Nigeria’s democratic history, have not changed and will not. Hence, in my view, the decision by the Federal Government led by President Muhammadu Buhari to honour the late business mogul was deserving and long overdue save for the attendant legal issues raised.

“It is a verifiable fact that I have canvassed for this recognition for Chief Abiola over the years, and granted interview to Channels Television two years ago, where I advocated for same,” Melaye said.

However, he urged the government to work on what he said were legal encumbrances surrounding the decision and to alter the National Honours Act to accommodate the new development.

“Let me make also it abundantly clear that while both Chief Abiola and the late legal luminary, Chief Gani Fawehinmi (SAN) deserved more than the GCFR and GCON Honours respectively to be bestowed on them posthumously next Tuesday, it is however important that the right thing be done in their memory should not have any blemish in the guise of the current debate for legality or otherwise of the historic Honours as we are witnessing now.

“I urge the federal government to do the needful and display sincerity of purpose by officially recognising Chief Abiola as President-elect and cause the official results of the June 12, 1993 presidential election to be released by INEC since President Buhari himself had admitted in the Presidential Order designating June 12 as Democracy Day, the most freest and credible election, and then the GCFR title will therefore have a meaning.

“If the right thing is done now by the federal government by proposing amendment to the National Honours Act 1964 to accommodate the current developments, no government in future will reverse the decision. This is my stand as a lawmaker,” Mr Melaye added.

Read more: https://www.headlineng.com/abiolas-gcfr-honour-well-deserved-melaye/
Re: Abiola’s GCFR Honour Well Deserved – Senator Melaye by HungerBAD: 10:09pm On Jun 10, 2018
Dino Dino.

Ever heard the word Bipolar?which Dino made this comment?the one carrying Saraki's wife's handbag?or the one that jumped from a moving vehicle?

50 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Abiola’s GCFR Honour Well Deserved – Senator Melaye by deantimes(m): 10:19pm On Jun 10, 2018
Re: Abiola’s GCFR Honour Well Deserved – Senator Melaye by muykem: 10:26pm On Jun 10, 2018
But he said Abiola is no longer a Nigeria. Is Dino well at all?

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Abiola’s GCFR Honour Well Deserved – Senator Melaye by papoudaupolos: 10:28pm On Jun 10, 2018
Since Dino fell on that Bus he's being saying 2 different things and means the same thing.

56 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Abiola’s GCFR Honour Well Deserved – Senator Melaye by lekzyn(m): 10:30pm On Jun 10, 2018
Dino is a real Nigeria politician with double mouth.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abiola’s GCFR Honour Well Deserved – Senator Melaye by odiereke(m): 10:30pm On Jun 10, 2018
papoudaupolos:
Since Dino fell on that Bus he's being saying 2 different things and means the same thing.
Well said my guy, I noticed that myself.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abiola’s GCFR Honour Well Deserved – Senator Melaye by phemmyutd(m): 10:51pm On Jun 10, 2018
Effect of jumping from a moving vehicle

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abiola’s GCFR Honour Well Deserved – Senator Melaye by yarimo(m): 12:02am On Jun 11, 2018
Nigeria police see what you cause in DINO MELAYE'S brain grin

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abiola’s GCFR Honour Well Deserved – Senator Melaye by Nobody: 7:54am On Jun 11, 2018
angry

Can this Abiola rubbish just end.. undecided one can even predict nairaland front page these days..

>>Photos of Buhari and Morocco president<<

>> Abiola GCFR: He should be stripped off it, David Mark <<

>>Tiwa savage posses with wizkid in his London apartment<<

>>Tonto Dike fires back on follow who said her son failed to graduate from nursery after 3yrs<<

>>Dino Melaye finally agrees to sit on his chair<<

>>Wizkid and Tiwa lies down on the bed<<

>> Photos of Tiwa and Wizkid on the bed<<

>>Fans react to Tiwa and Wizkid photos<<

>>Ex president reacts to Tiwa and Wizkid photos<<

>>London photos: I did not uncloth her. Wizkid fires back at troll<<

Nairaland please..!!!

3 Likes

Re: Abiola’s GCFR Honour Well Deserved – Senator Melaye by MrLouisVanGaal1: 7:54am On Jun 11, 2018
hmmm

Want to learn video and animation and sell on fiverr?

Re: Abiola’s GCFR Honour Well Deserved – Senator Melaye by Nobody: 7:54am On Jun 11, 2018
HELP ME TELL MELAYE THAT NA HIS LEGS GO BREAK THIS TIME AROUND

2 Likes

Re: Abiola’s GCFR Honour Well Deserved – Senator Melaye by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 7:55am On Jun 11, 2018
Dino's mouth is like sword. Coward!

2 Likes

Re: Abiola’s GCFR Honour Well Deserved – Senator Melaye by Nobody: 7:55am On Jun 11, 2018
muykem:
But he said Abiola is no longer a Nigeria. Is Dino well at all?
Dino is a clown

8 Likes

Re: Abiola’s GCFR Honour Well Deserved – Senator Melaye by gaby(m): 7:58am On Jun 11, 2018
Typcal Dino...bleeding from every corner of his mouth. He initially was expecting props and accolades to his unguarded outburst, but when none was coming in and he'd realised the folly in his statement, hence this 360* cowardly turn-around.

Check out my profile for my amazing story.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abiola’s GCFR Honour Well Deserved – Senator Melaye by Bullhari007(m): 7:59am On Jun 11, 2018
why do we celebrate mediocrity in this shithole of a country we are giving award to one enemy of state that nearly start 2nd civil war because of his idiotic selfish presidential ambition, MKO is a traitor, enemy of the state that want to stage civilian coup by declaring himself the winner of the 1993 election while the election is still inconclusive , buhari and AFONJA political gimmicks is not going to work this time around, it must backfire back

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abiola’s GCFR Honour Well Deserved – Senator Melaye by Nobody: 8:00am On Jun 11, 2018
grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Abiola’s GCFR Honour Well Deserved – Senator Melaye by obembet(f): 8:00am On Jun 11, 2018
Dino need help

2 Likes

Re: Abiola’s GCFR Honour Well Deserved – Senator Melaye by potent5(m): 8:00am On Jun 11, 2018
An'emenu. Ana'konu. An'ekwugherinu.
Re: Abiola’s GCFR Honour Well Deserved – Senator Melaye by Metuh: 8:02am On Jun 11, 2018
hahahah

Every reasonable Nigerian knows MKO never deserved that award.

It's just a poisoned carrot dangled at the Yoruba people
Re: Abiola’s GCFR Honour Well Deserved – Senator Melaye by potent5(m): 8:05am On Jun 11, 2018
Buhari is not a Nigerian (a Sudanese as claimed by somebori) ; Abiola is no longer a citizen of Nigeria (as claimed by dynoserous). Does it means the award is Fraudulent.

Re: Abiola’s GCFR Honour Well Deserved – Senator Melaye by naijaguy123456(m): 8:07am On Jun 11, 2018
Re: Abiola’s GCFR Honour Well Deserved – Senator Melaye by Jasperro(m): 8:07am On Jun 11, 2018
the amendment ought to have been done before conferring the GCFR Award
Re: Abiola’s GCFR Honour Well Deserved – Senator Melaye by Nobody: 8:08am On Jun 11, 2018
deantimes:

Read more: https://www.headlineng.com/abiolas-gcfr-honour-well-deserved-melaye/

Well, let's cut him some slack. At least he realized his earlier blunder and tried to make amends.

No one is perfect

Let's also commend whoever is handling his PR for this quick lesson in "how to spin your way out of a blunder"...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abiola’s GCFR Honour Well Deserved – Senator Melaye by Lexusgs430: 8:13am On Jun 11, 2018
Dino is confused... After he initially questioned the nationality of MKO?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abiola’s GCFR Honour Well Deserved – Senator Melaye by mrkia(m): 8:19am On Jun 11, 2018
Ki I tan lara omo Oba ko maku dansaaki . It's like Dino has then hit the ground with his head. 9ja sey u na Don see weitin u cause ooooo

1 Like

Re: Abiola’s GCFR Honour Well Deserved – Senator Melaye by RedRiver(m): 8:22am On Jun 11, 2018
Dino stopped being a Nigerian the moment he jumped out of a moving car. So he is now empowered to recognise all non Nigerians.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abiola’s GCFR Honour Well Deserved – Senator Melaye by Omololu007(m): 8:22am On Jun 11, 2018
J

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tanko Al-Makura Joins Tinubu's Campaign Train In Yobe / Akpabio Owns $45Million "Private" Jet - SaharaReporters / Leke Alder: Nigeria’s ‘yahoo Yahoo’ Image

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.