Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,630 members, 7,827,343 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:50 AM

President Obasanjo And Atiku Indicted For Corruption - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Obasanjo And Atiku Indicted For Corruption (2494 Views)

Tinubu And Atiku In Closed-Door Meeting Over Buhari’s Victory / Buhari And Atiku Pictured Together Amidst Rumour Of Jonathan’s Visit To Atiku / What Is Going On In This Pic B/w OBJ And Atiku (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

President Obasanjo And Atiku Indicted For Corruption by babasin(m): 6:04pm On Mar 21, 2007
Finally, OBJ has been officially indicted of corruption.

A Nigerian Senate committee has indicted the president and his deputy for corruption over an oil fund.

The committee recommends both President Olusegun Obasanjo and Vice-President Atiku Abubakar be prosecuted.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6475809.stm

Is this the end of the fake corruption-fighting of obj?

Was the EFCC fooling Nigerians all long?
Re: President Obasanjo And Atiku Indicted For Corruption by mazaje(m): 6:37pm On Mar 21, 2007
things are happening in nigeria. he who lives in a glass house should not throw stones.
Re: President Obasanjo And Atiku Indicted For Corruption by azorjiu(m): 6:49pm On Mar 21, 2007
I read the news.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/6475809.stm

In as much as Atiku is indicted as well, I don't have any qualms with the report. What it means is that both atiku and obj will not contest next month presidential election for abuse of office. Atiku should stand out and face the consequences of his actions. To me, this report is not different from the last. The only difference is the use of the word "indicted" for the president.
Re: President Obasanjo And Atiku Indicted For Corruption by Nobody: 11:28pm On Mar 21, 2007
Like I expected!. . .There is no way Atiku will do all that to PTDF without OBJ's knowledge. McKren and all the blind OBJ can do no wrong team know it.
Re: President Obasanjo And Atiku Indicted For Corruption by MP007(m): 12:22am On Mar 22, 2007
so ? who is surprised here?
Re: President Obasanjo And Atiku Indicted For Corruption by 4Play(m): 12:29am On Mar 22, 2007
The headline of the story is a bit misleading.They were indicted for illegally spending Govt funds.Corruption requires that such illegality is done for some personal gain.There is no indication in the report that the money was used for personal gain,just that it was appropriated without the neccasary approval.

Nevertheless,it is still a rebuttal of the case made by those who think OBJ had no case to answer
Re: President Obasanjo And Atiku Indicted For Corruption by abdkabir(m): 12:40am On Mar 22, 2007
@4play

Corruption doesn't necesarily have to be done for personal use .
Re: President Obasanjo And Atiku Indicted For Corruption by Nobody: 12:48am On Mar 22, 2007
4Play Na wa for this your definition of corruption. Any abuse of power by using it for something other than what it is meant to be used, is corruption.
Re: President Obasanjo And Atiku Indicted For Corruption by abdkabir(m): 12:52am On Mar 22, 2007
Good One!
Re: President Obasanjo And Atiku Indicted For Corruption by 4Play(m): 1:11am On Mar 22, 2007
behaviour on the part of officials in the public sector, whether politicians or civil servants, in which they improperly and unlawfully enrich themselves, or those close to them, by the misuse of the public power entrusted to them. This would include embezzlement of funds, theft of corporate or public property as well as corrupt practices such as bribery, extortion or influence peddling.

This is a definition of corruption by Transparency International

Corruption involves behaviour on the part of officials in the public and private sectors, in which they improperly and unlawfully enrich themselves and/or those close to them, or induce others to do so, by misusing the position in which they are placed.
World Bank

The solicitation or acceptance by a public official, directly or indirectly, of an undue advantage, for the official himself or herself or another person or entity, in order that the official act or refrain from acting in the exercise of his or her official duties.
Article 8 of the Convention against Transnational Organized Crime

http://www.anticorruption.info/corr_def_alt.htm

It seems that many others define corruption as involving private gain
Re: President Obasanjo And Atiku Indicted For Corruption by Nobody: 1:47am On Mar 22, 2007
@4Play

How did you manage to miss the rest of the definitions?. . .Ofcourse using public power to enrich oneself is corruption but it is not the ONLY measure of corruption. Obviously all those sources define corruption way beyond the act of self enrichment!

"Influence peddling, induce others to do so, by misusing the position in which they are placed" all point to any abuse of office to gain advantage over anybody or anything.

The solicitation or acceptance by a public official, directly or indirectly, of an undue advantage, for the official himself or herself or another person or entity, in order that the official act or refrain from acting in the exercise of his or her official duties.

What OBJ is accused of doing definitely falls into that definition.
Re: President Obasanjo And Atiku Indicted For Corruption by IBEXY(m): 8:40am On Mar 22, 2007
So should we expect prosecution or the immunity clause will come into play?
Re: President Obasanjo And Atiku Indicted For Corruption by agnesoseka: 8:56am On Mar 22, 2007
B4 wat do u expect??
Re: President Obasanjo And Atiku Indicted For Corruption by twinstaiye(m): 8:57am On Mar 22, 2007
Now that is exactly what they want, to incorporate OBJ's name into the whole mess. Now, that his name has finally been dragged into it, the real issue still remain, and that is Atiku is corrupt and should not be allow to contest the next election. That is the main issue.
Now, the judiciary from the outcome of the Senate committee indictments of the Presidnet and the VP are also corrupt, and need investigations. This is because it is now up to 5 different body that still said that Atiku is corrupt, but the court earlier on has set aside the EFCC report declaring it as null and void and unconstitutional, likewise the Administrative Panel report. Who is fooling who, we all know the hand that rocks the craddle. This man called Atiku is powerful, and he has his tentacles spread over all areas, thank God, the Senate also finally nailed him as being corrupt. Let us then wait to hear the outcome of the court, whether they will say he is corrupt or not.
Having said all this, the truth remain that, he still stand disqualified from contesting the next election, that is exactly what the Senate did not mentioned, but actually the real outcome of their investigation.
Like the proverbial words, those who go for vengeance does not come out clean, OBJ goes for vengeance on Atiku, and he is consumed also for that revenge. The truth however is that both of them may be guilty of corruption, but one is surely guilty than the other. We all know who.
Re: President Obasanjo And Atiku Indicted For Corruption by 419(m): 9:01am On Mar 22, 2007
now ,who is the saint
Re: President Obasanjo And Atiku Indicted For Corruption by IBEXY(m): 9:10am On Mar 22, 2007
agnesoseka:

B4 what do u expect??

Good question but if you have lived long enough in Nigeria you would be aware of former dictators and top govt officials that escaped scot free with sleazy deals while in office. What happened to Abacha's loot, IBB, even Buhari (also dabbled in PTF money). As if to rub salt into the injury, some of these past bad eggs still want to contest again. Guess what? we are ever ready to vote for them. Mark my word, this will blow over as usual.
Re: President Obasanjo And Atiku Indicted For Corruption by adconline(m): 9:12am On Mar 22, 2007
@twinstaiye  

Its for self glorification  that you would never think that OBJ is corrupt. Is OBJ your father? You believe that Atiku is corrupt but do not believe that his Oga, Obj  is corrupt. So Atiku is the reason why NEPA is not working, Atiku is the reason why  Tony Anenih spent $3 billion on Naija roads, yet we still have worst road network in the region. Atiku caused all the plane crashes.  I have always known that Obj and Atiku are corrupt so I cannot believe in that report that  was set by OBJ, TRIED , INDICTED and EXECUTED   You need to wake from your  favouritism. Crime is crime regardless of who is the offender.  It does not serve you good to see wrong in Atiku's action and turn a blind eye on OBJ's dealings.
Re: President Obasanjo And Atiku Indicted For Corruption by dayokanu(m): 9:24am On Mar 22, 2007
Okayyyy so OBJ is corrupt I never knew. McKren, dblock could this be true How can anybody indict an angel the best president Naija ever had. These ppl dnt know what they are saying
Naija has never had it this good. If being indicted stop you from contesting election doesnt it make you eligible for immediate impeachment too? I need some clarification
Re: President Obasanjo And Atiku Indicted For Corruption by twinstaiye(m): 9:53am On Mar 22, 2007
adconline:

@twinstaiye

Its for self glorification that you would never think that OBJ is corrupt. Is OBJ your father? You believe that Atiku is corrupt but do not believe that his Oga, Obj is corrupt. So Atiku is the reason why NEPA is not working, Atiku is the reason why Tony Anenih spent $3 billion on Naija roads, yet we still have worst road network in the region. Atiku caused all the plane crashes. I have always known that Obj and Atiku are corrupt so I cannot believe in that report that was set by OBJ, TRIED , INDICTED and EXECUTED You need to wake from your favouritism. Crime is crime regardless of who is the offender. It does not serve you good to see wrong in Atiku's action and turn a blind eye on OBJ's dealings.

Some of you just pass comments anyhow from the comfort of your house or Cafe. You will even blame the president for everything that happens in your lifem because you expect magic, and what you failed to understand is that Nigerians are not easy to govern. I bet you if you are a President, you may even be worse than OBJ. Because you will award a contract to the family of your wife, you will favour the company of your friend, past classmates etc. When you think their company is not qualified to be awarded a contract to, you start having enemies even from your own households, your friends, or even your collegues. But if you award contract to them and you know they are not qualified, are you corrupt or not? You think it is easy. As for NEPA, it is not somethign that is as easy as you think, had it not been that OBJ is a hardliner, it would have been worse than this. Can you imagine the number of Generator company in this country, we have Perkins, Maikano, John Holt etc, i hear also that Thermocool and Binatone have started making generators, where do you want them to sell their products in this country if NEPA continue to be functioning without any hindrance? Sabotaged is the key word here, believed you me. And mark my words, I am not saying Obasanjo is a saint and he does not have any corrupt tendencies, but what I am saying is that he is right by prosecuting his VP as being corrupt not minding whose ox is gore. If he had not done this, we would have end up having another corrupt politician, even worse than OBJ as president. From the way it is now, Atiku can never contest the next election. What obj sees in this man that we cannot see is much than PTDF issue, and if you ask me, it is beyond the alleged 3rd term controversy.
Re: President Obasanjo And Atiku Indicted For Corruption by gmemdee(m): 10:21am On Mar 22, 2007
i wonder if we've stopped to consider the fact that all this hoopla is over just one agency.
what will we find when NNPC, and other such agencies have their operations investigated?
Re: President Obasanjo And Atiku Indicted For Corruption by McKren(m): 10:26am On Mar 22, 2007
dayokanu:

Okayyyy so OBJ is corrupt I never knew. McKren, dblock could this be true How can anybody indict an angel the best president Naija ever had. These people dnt know what they are saying
Naija has never had it this good. If being indicted stop you from contesting election doesnt it make you eligible for immediate impeachment too? I need some clarification

If there is any sincerity in you, you will know that spending one government money meant for a particular project for another Government project is never the same as spending government money on private bussiness interest. They should never on mother earth attract the same punishment.
Re: President Obasanjo And Atiku Indicted For Corruption by dayokanu(m): 10:35am On Mar 22, 2007
@Twinstaiye,
Are you in Nigeria? Can NEPA be worse than this this is the worst I have ever seen. SO expecting to have 6 hours of electricity and good roads is magic?

So in other countries where thing work sabotage does not exist? For 8 years sabotage has not made NEPA work?
and what you failed to understand is that Nigerians are not easy to govern.
I bet you if you are a President, you may even be worse than OBJ.  Because you will award a contract to the family of your wife, you will favour the company of your friend, past classmates etc. When you think their company is not qualified to be awarded a contract to, you start having enemies even from your own households, your friends, or even your collegues. But if you award contract to them and you know they are not qualified, are you corrupt or not?
Oh God I can't imagine this!! so you are insuniating that Naija cant be better than this. if no one including yourself can do it better isn't it about time we had an expatriate president?
See what OBJ's rule has done to Nigerians Psyche. If OBJ is right to prosecute and disqualify ATIKU then he should do the right thing since he too has been indicted he should resign!!
Re: President Obasanjo And Atiku Indicted For Corruption by neyo7: 10:46am On Mar 22, 2007
u can not compare the gravity of these offences, atiku stole money to enrich his cohort and business associate and indirectly enriching himself, how could this be compared to obasanjo taking idle money, 4 unapproved project, how can that be a personal gain on his side. The national assembly are a cham they have seen corruption as a norm in the societyand they are trying to justify atiku
Re: President Obasanjo And Atiku Indicted For Corruption by twinstaiye(m): 10:52am On Mar 22, 2007
dayokanu:

@Twinstaiye,
Are you in Nigeria? Can NEPA be worse than this this is the worst I have ever seen. SO expecting to have 6 hours of electricity and good roads is magic?

So in other countries where thing work sabotage does not exist? For 8 years sabotage has not made NEPA work?
and what you failed to understand is that Nigerians are not easy to govern. Oh God I can't imagine this!! so you are insuniating that Naija can't be better than this. if no one including yourself can do it better isn't it about time we had an expatriate president?
See what OBJ's rule has done to Nigerians Psyche. If OBJ is right to prosecute and disqualify ATIKU then he should do the right thing since he too has been indicted he should resign!!
That is why Nigeria is difficult to rule, we are mostly beclouded by those we support. So assuming OBJ is also corrupt and stand indicted, like McKren said above, you will know that spending one government money meant for a particular project is never the same as spending government money on private bussiness interest. They should never on mother earth attract the same punishment, But because OBJ has many enemies and has stepped on toes, he was co-opt into the mess. That is not even the issue now, the issue is Atiku also stand indicted as was before by EFCC, the Panel and now Senate, do you still want the VP to continue and contest the next election? If you do, then you need to believe me that Nigeria is not easy to govern because we are all hardliner to a fight against corruption.
Read more of my submission on this link: http://twinstaiye..com/2007/03/corruption-war-now-we-know-it-is-not.html
Re: President Obasanjo And Atiku Indicted For Corruption by Mariory(m): 11:50am On Mar 22, 2007
Well well check check out todays newspapers. Apparently, a member of the current review committee disagrees with his associates over the offenses committed by Atiku.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200703221237862
The report, however, contained a dissenting view by Senator Akin Olasunkanmi.

Olasunkanmi disagreed with his colleagues on Abubakar’s involvement in the NDTV deal.

He said that the shareholding of the NDTV showed that one Adamu Abubakar owns 10 per cent of its shares.

One of the sons of the vice-president, according to him, goes by the name Adamu Abubakar.

He said, “The vice-president brought a letter from a US Congressman, William Jefferson, to the Federal Ministry of Communications in respect of NDTV/i-Gate deal.”

He also claimed that the vice-president gave a loan to Fasawe, which he used to pay for the head office of the NDTV.

Olasunkanmi further said that the PTDF deposits in TIB suggested that they were meant for the purpose of advancing loan to NDTV.

He added that the questions put to Fasawe when he appeared before the review committee about his relationship with the TIB were not answered satisfactorily.

So which committee is telling the truth? The common factors are that both review committees indict Atiku and recommend further action.

*Bye bye Atiku. Now you can go f**k yourself. You or your supporters will never get the presidency.*
Re: President Obasanjo And Atiku Indicted For Corruption by lakeside4love(m): 12:09pm On Mar 22, 2007
I stand to be corrected, Has any nairalanders come out here to say Atiku is not corrupt?

Heaven knows am not in support of Atiku n wuld never support a president that believes he can manipulate the constitution n disobey court orders,

They r both corrupt, so they shuld both leave,

@ twinstaiye, I ve got a question for u,

"Is ur president a saint"? If ur answer is Yes, tell me why plzz, n if u say No, then why r u sooo biased n one sided about the whole President n his Vice thingy,

Quoting ur words from ur last post, I think u r beclouded by the one u r supporting,
Re: President Obasanjo And Atiku Indicted For Corruption by twinstaiye(m): 12:56pm On Mar 22, 2007
lakeside4love:

I stand to be corrected, Has any Nairaland users come out here to say Atiku is not corrupt?

Heaven knows am not in support of Atiku n wuld never support a president that believes he can manipulate the constitution n disobey court orders,

They r both corrupt, so they shuld both leave,

@ twinstaiye, I ve got a question for u,

"Is your president a saint"? If your answer is Yes, tell me why plzz, n if u say No, then why r u sooo biased n one sided about the whole President n his Vice thingy,

Quoting your words from your last post, I think you're beclouded by the one you're supporting,
My support for Obasanjo is unshaken, but that does not mean I believed he is a saint, but at the same time, I do not believe we should compare him to Atiku in terms of corruption. Probably that is the danger OBJ saw in Atiku Presidency. I may be biased as you claimed in my support for OBJ because, a lot of people seems to see no good in his achievements, and therefore wants to put their support to someone else at all costs who will even perform below expectations than Obasanjo himself. In our hatred for OBJ, we should not that becloud our sense of judgment, no man, and I mean no man is a saint or unblemished, if any of us were to be a president today, we would have areas where we would never be popular to the people we govern.
Re: President Obasanjo And Atiku Indicted For Corruption by ishmael(m): 1:54pm On Mar 22, 2007
@twinstaiye
Go and sit down and let people hear word; Yoruba man. is OBJ your uncle?? How am i sure you no resemble OBJ for face because you resemble am for character no be small. you better keep sentiments aside and say the truth, OBJ is corrupt short and simple. No be only you be yoruba man here for your information.
Re: President Obasanjo And Atiku Indicted For Corruption by twinstaiye(m): 2:06pm On Mar 22, 2007
And who said OBJ is not corrupt? I agreed he is corrupt, but not as corrupt as you are, all we need to prove it that you are also corrupt is to hold a public office where you will be in charge of awarding contract. Yeye man!
Having said that we should also note the double standard of our Senate in their dealings of PTDF scandal. When Ndoma-Egba committee submitted its report, the only dissenting voice submission was taken important even more than the recommendations of the other 11 members. But when there was another dissenting voice in the review committee report specifically as stated below, there was no upheavals or even much uproar as to his own submission, because that is exactly what the Senate wants.
The report, however, contained a dissenting view by Senator Akin Olasunkanmi.
Olasunkanmi disagreed with his colleagues on Abubakar’s involvement in the NDTV deal.
He said that the shareholding of the NDTV showed that one Adamu Abubakar owns 10 per cent of its shares.
One of the sons of the vice-president, according to him, goes by the name Adamu Abubakar.
He said, “The vice-president brought a letter from a US Congressman, William Jefferson, to the Federal Ministry of Communications in respect of NDTV/i-Gate deal.”
He also claimed that the vice-president gave a loan to Fasawe, which he used to pay for the head office of the NDTV.
Olasunkanmi further said that the PTDF deposits in TIB suggested that they were meant for the purpose of advancing loan to NDTV.
He added that the questions put to Fasawe when he appeared before the review committee about his relationship with the TIB were not answered satisfactorily.
Shouldn't the Senate act on the dissenting voice, if they deem the first one important? Double standard, all in the name of getting back to OBJ, simply because he had stepped on toes of some of them, like not guaranteeing a return ticket for them. Selfish lots who are expected to represent us, but represent their selfish interest. Everyone is corrupt, no exception!
Re: President Obasanjo And Atiku Indicted For Corruption by loyika(m): 2:41pm On Mar 22, 2007
Why all the hullabalo

Fact is, the senate has doused its own flame, by stating that it would look at this when , After its recess which is May 2nd undecided , after the election has been fought and won (with out Atiku), When Obj is rounding up, after many of the Senators know they won't be back on their priviledged seats. So whats the point.

The only thing the Presidency is worried about is its image being dragged through the mud "Expect to see Parrot Kayode and Cricket Oshotukun soon at a TV studio near you". In terms of what the Senate will do with the report, the answer is "Bleep ALL", OBJ at worst will recieve a Censure or Caution (Slap on the wrist) Nothing more nothing less!! While Atiku might/will be arrested after his tenure as VP expires and the Immunity clause has suddenly vanished. (Ya radua could do him a favour if he emerges as President and Pardon him, since their relationship goes deep).

So all the, "A ha!! I told you so", is quite irrelevant, who didn't know OBJ wasn't corrupt , however i will say that OBJ's corruption is kiddies stuff compared to the blatant looting of money Atiku and his cronies/friends and associates carried out. God forbid he became President tongue We would have another Mobutu on our hands.

Atiku as President, with Orji Kalu as Finance Minister shocked shocked What a "Nightmaric scenario" grin, Just thinking about it, is making me shake in fear, Boy i would have emigrated to Iceland grin.

Please God let the elections come and go, so we can all finally rest for another 4 years cool
Re: President Obasanjo And Atiku Indicted For Corruption by twinstaiye(m): 3:12pm On Mar 22, 2007
Well said loyika, well said, I sheath my sword and my pen.
Re: President Obasanjo And Atiku Indicted For Corruption by adconline(m): 5:07pm On Mar 22, 2007
taiye,
   I am not as  close minded as you are. I prayed that Atiku would never rule Nigeria, but at the same time I  believe that OBJ is as corrupt as Atiku.   You believe that Nigeria is very difficult to govern, so Nigerians deserve less because OBJ cannot put his acts together? So Nigerians deserve less  because OBJ appointed political cronies who stole public funds?  So Nigerians deserve less  because OBJ was forced to become  the President? So Nigerians deserve less  because OBJ  and Andy  Uba ferried money to the US with presidential jet? So Nigerians deserve less  because OBJ  appointed a minister - Borishade whose ministry  killed thousand of Nigerians  due to plane crashes?  I still dont know why Nigerians  dont  see wrong holistically? If  my papa is wrong, he is allowed to be free, but if another  person's papa is wrong, we should crucify him.  You had not wanted OBJ's name to be mentioned in that Senate Report.

If OBJ, is not  guilty as ATiku, what happened to about $200 billion generated by  his administration. How did he build a farm that makes million of dollars annually? How did he build a university?  Why is NEPA worse than he met it?  MY POINT IS THAT ATIKU IS A FRACTION OF THE PROBLEM, OBJ IS A BIGGER PROBLEM, SO YAR'DUA CONTINUES FROM WHERE HIS MASTER -OBJ- STOPPED.

(1) (2) (Reply)

EFCC Raids NFA Secretariat / Is This A School Or An Animal Farm? / Should Nigeria Join Brics?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.