Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,357 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:24 PM

Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups (6118 Views)

Breaking: Nnamdi Kanu, Rights Groups Drags Justice Ademola To NJC / Armed Soldiers Beating Innocent Citizens Now At Sun Tan Beach Badagry / GEJ Reinstates 'Wife Beating' Nigerian Ambassador To Kenya (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jun 07, 2010
@ DEDE 1, i am not happy with some of your replies, if it is really a taboo according to Yoruba tradition  for Olori to leave the  palace from all indications here, it is also a taboo for the Oba to fight in a public.So why are u seeing things only on the side of the Olori or is it because she is a slave woman. No matter the Olori's offence, ( if there is any) must he create a scene ? Does it mean that other Obas don't have domestic problems? and yet they handled it in a matured way, must he wash his dirty Linen outside?.His actions has it given him an ovation and kudos he deserved as Oba.?. I don,t know that using acid  in Nigeria is now, lawful and traditional. The treatment meted to Olori is barbaric, in-human and should not be supported.if we are so much into our tradition, we should also go back into our tradition of going unclothed or rather wearing leafs. pls lets not support evil.
Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by otukpo(f): 3:01pm On Jun 08, 2010
that Oba is a beast.
Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by johndavid1(m): 5:38pm On Jun 08, 2010
otukpo:

that Oba is a beast.
what is a beast? a demon
Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by Dede1(m): 6:32pm On Jun 08, 2010
cyblez:

@ DEDE 1, i am not happy with some of your replies, if it is really a taboo according to Yoruba tradition  for Olori to leave the  palace from all indications here, it is also a taboo for the Oba to fight in a public.So why are u seeing things only on the side of the Olori or is it because she is a slave woman. No matter the Olori's offence, ( if there is any) must he create a scene ? Does it mean that other Obas don't have domestic problems? and yet they handled it in a matured way, must he wash his dirty Linen outside?.His actions has it given him an ovation and kudos he deserved as Oba.?. I don,t know that using acid  in Nigeria is now, lawful and traditional. The treatment meted to Olori is barbaric, in-human and should not be supported.if we are so much into our tradition, we should also go back into our tradition of going unclothed or rather wearing leafs. pls lets not support evil.

I am afraid your post exposed you as a transgressor of the teachings of our culture and tradition and a stark ignorant. I really do not expect you to be happy with posts. Of course, Obas do have problems and their Olori have never desecrated the symbol of culture and tradition because Oba wanted a second wife.

How could you insinuate that the tradition of Africa exclusively dictated that Africans go unclothed and wear leafs? Europeans went unclothed and wore leafs before the advent of industrial revolution. Before the arrival of Europeans in Africa, some section of the continent had gone beyond the act of unclothed and wearing of leafs as they wore weaved materials. It is very unfortunate ignorance has beclouded your brain and you can not fathom that going from unclothed to clothed is a process of human development and it is not an exclusive domain of any culture or tradition.

I had rather err on the part of our culture and tradition than the silly counter-culture most contributors seemed to suggest. I shall take wife-beating over wife-killing that is rampant in Europe and North America.
Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by AloyEmeka5: 2:42am On Jun 09, 2010
Wife bashing: We won’t be blackmailed to remove Deji, says Mimiko
By Dayo Johnson
Tuesday, June 8, 2010
THE embattled Deji of Akure, Oba Oluwadare Adepoju, has been dragged before an Akure High Court by his wife, Olori Bolanle, to seek redress over the defence put up by the Deji.

http://odili.net/news/source/2010/jun/8/320.html

Olori Bolanle prayed the court to declare that her two sons— Adegboyega and Adesimbo — are biological sons of Adesina and that N100 million damages should be awarded to her for defaming her character through the claim of the monarch that the paternity of the boys was doubtful.

Meantime, Governor Olusegun Mimiko of Ondo State yesterday said he would not succumb to any blackmail from any quarters as to what would be the fate of Oba Adepoju who engaged in street fight with his wife last week.

Mimiko pointed out that his administration “is committed to the rule of law and the principles of separation of powers as it relates to the controversy over the stool of Deji of Akureland particularly its present occupant, Oba Adesina Adepoju.”

A statement by the Commissioner for Information, Mr. Ranti Akerele, said the “Mimiko government has been guided all along by its firm belief in the sanctity of the laws of the land and their sacred provisions.

“When the Oba had a problem with his chiefs a while ago, the governor intervened not because it had any vested interest but because the provisions of the law were not adhered to.

“We had no alternative than to halt the flawed process then as it was already being misinterpreted in other communities as lack of spine and credibility to avert a breakdown of order.

“In the present circumstance, the government cannot without due recourse to laid down procedure visit any punitive action on the controversial Oba.Nevertheless, government on the receipt of a notice detailing infractions on the provisions of the law by the Oba, has set in motion the process of investigating, and deciding on what to do to an errant Oba.”

He pointed out that “A query was issued by the requisite authority last week and the Oba has until Wednesday to respond. Until then, the government, as a responsible one, committed to democratic norms, will only expect the understanding of all parties and their full cooperation.

“It will be an abuse of all known and accepted norms to reduce the fundamental issues involved in the case of the Oba and his wife to trials on the pages of newspapers. They touch on the deep values that we hold dear as a people and so must be handled with a clear focus of getting justice: justice to the victim, justice to the abused and justice to the society.”

Akerele added that “in all that it will do on the issue, government will not submit to blackmail or hysteria of any kind but will be guided by the strict provisions of the laws of our land”.
Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by Outstrip(f): 4:26am On Jun 09, 2010
Useless and nonsense. The governor and I use the term loosely might not be able to dethrone him but due process has to be followed and the man has to be treated like any other person that viciously attacks any other person. How is this different from Yerima raping a child and going free because the law he follows is sharia. Nigeria is a bleeping joke.
Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by gogo123: 12:27pm On Jun 09, 2010
wife beating, beating a woman is not acceptable, the oba must be sanctioned
Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by gogo123: 12:35pm On Jun 09, 2010
Outstrip:

Useless and nonsense. The governor and I use the term loosely might not be able to dethrone him but due process has to be followed and the man has to be treated like any other person that viciously attacks any other person. How is this different from Yerima despoiling a child and going free because the law he follows is sharia. Nigeria is a bleeping joke.
I DON'T UNDERSTAND, ARE YOU SAYING BECAUSE YERIMA SUPPOSEDLY WENT SCOT FREE, THE OBA SHOULD BE COZY-ED UP, WHATEVER HAPPENED TO DUE PROCESS WHEN HE WAS BEATING THE WOMAN FOR LEAVING THE PLACE, AM SURE TRADITION HAS A VIOLENT FREE WAY OF SOLVING THAT PROBLEM BUT ON THE OTHER HAND I HEARD THE WOMAN FIRST SLAPPED HIM, HOW TRUTHFUL IS THAT?
Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by Outstrip(f): 2:46pm On Jun 09, 2010
I did not say he should go free. I said he should be treated like a normal criminal.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Global Counter-Terrorism Forum (GCTF): Launched By Nigeria, 28 Countries, EU / Video: GEJ Embarrassed And Disgraced / Federal University Gashua Admission 2015 /2016 Session

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.