Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,149 members, 7,815,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:06 AM

Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups (6112 Views)

Breaking: Nnamdi Kanu, Rights Groups Drags Justice Ademola To NJC / Armed Soldiers Beating Innocent Citizens Now At Sun Tan Beach Badagry / GEJ Reinstates 'Wife Beating' Nigerian Ambassador To Kenya (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by AloyEmeka5: 1:18am On Jun 03, 2010
Afenifere Leader Says Oba Deji Is Free To Assault His Wife

[size=14pt]Royal assault: Deji receives knocks from kingmakers, human rights groups[/size]
Home | Headlines | Royal assault: Deji receives knocks from kingmakers, human rights groups
Font size:    Published 02/06/2010 01:49:00 Sunday Aborisade

[img]http://news2.onlinenigeria.com/thumbnail.php?file=News-images/deji_718559955.jpg&size=article_small[/img]
Deji and the embattled queen

Human rights groups, a lawmaker and the Akure kingmakers on Tuesday said the alleged street fighting between the Deji of Akure, Oba Oluwadamilare Adesina, and his wife, Bolanle, on Sunday night in Akure, the Ondo State capital, was a desecration of the monarchical institution and unacceptable to customs and traditions of Akureland.

The monarch, a first class traditional ruler in Nigeria, in company with his newest queen, Remi, and some people believed to be thugs, beat up his estranged wife, Bolanle, in her father‘s house. She was also bathed with a substance suspected to be acid.

The development, which attracted public attention on Tuesday, forced the traditional kingmakers in the town to summon an emergency meeting to decide the next line of action on Monday.

President of Women Alert, Dr. Joe Okei-Odumakin, in a telephone interview on Tuesday, condemned the king‘s conduct and described it as embarrassing and inhuman.

Odumakin, who is also the President, Campaign for Democracy said the traditional ruler’s action was a reflection of the intolerant attitude of many Nigerian leaders.

She said, “In a sane society, anyone no matter how highly placed should not be allowed to carry out such act against a woman and allow to go scot-free. The police should take immediate action and ensure that the king is punished.

“Our organisation will mobilise other Nigerian women groups to ensure that the case does not die and this will be also be a litmus test for the Nigeria police.”

Similarly, the head of the traditional kingmakers, who is also the traditional Prime Minister of Akure kingdom, Chief Folorunsho Davies, described the monarch‘s action as unacceptable.

Davies, who is also the Lisa of the ancient town, in a telephone interview on Tuesday said, “If the claims are true, it is wrong for a first class monarch to have descended so low.

“We are meeting on the matter to decide what will be our next line of action. It is unacceptable in the custom of Akure for a Deji to fight in public places.

“We once reported his behaviour to the state government and we are going to report him again so that necessary action will be taken on the matter.”

A former leader of the state House of Assembly, Mr. Kunle Agunbiade, described the Oba‘s behaviour as repulsive and uncalled for.

“The action of Oba Adesina is not only an embarrassment to himself but the entire Akure people who are noted for hospitality and good conduct,” Agunbiade said.

But a former Secretary to the Federal Government of Nigeria, who is also an indigene of the town, Chief Olu Falae, refused to make any comment on the issue.
On his part, the leader of Afenifere, who is also a prominent indigene of the Akure, Chief Rueben Fasoranti, said the monarch was free to do whatever he liked.

The Chairperson of Grassroots Women Emancipation Movement, Mrs. Phebean Adejuyi, called for the immediate arrest and prosecution of the monarch.

Meanwhile, Bolanle has been transferred from a private hospital to the Owo Medical Centre.

Recounting her ordeal in a telephone interview, Bolanle said, “He (Oba) told me in October last year that he wanted to marry another wife. He said the woman is a former wife of the late Chief MKO Abiola and that she is very rich and I discouraged him from doing so.

“That was how we started. Since then he has been castigating me. The day he wanted to drive me out of the palace, we had no quarrel, he just sent me on an errand, before I came back, he had changed all the keys to my room. I had to sit outside. Since then people had been appealing to him on my behalf but he refused. That was how I started living in my father‘s house.

“When he came to my father‘s house on Sunday evening, he climbed the stairs with his wife, Remi Abiola and four hefty thugs, he just ordered that those boys should be beating me, and my friends that were around opposed them.

“He also brought out powder and wanted to pour it on my face but I blocked him with my hands so it poured on my hand and since then my hands have been peeling,” Bolanle stated.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201006024571356
Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by abadaba(m): 1:37am On Jun 03, 2010
That Afenifere leader has to resign if at all he made such a comment.
Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by AloyEmeka5: 1:42am On Jun 03, 2010
Not in Nigeria where unnecessary male machismo is worshiped.
Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by Fhemmmy: 1:51am On Jun 03, 2010
Animals
Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by waistline(f): 3:33am On Jun 03, 2010
cry disgraceful . then we wonder why the rest of the world look down on us. this was for what? what was the gain? she was not in his palace, why a king should go so low.
Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by udezue(m): 4:06am On Jun 03, 2010
Freakin animals including afenifere
Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by naijaway(m): 5:41am On Jun 03, 2010
Scrap traditional rulers or watever disguise they may manifest. It is stupidity that allows governors, local govt chairman/woman,  judges, lawyers, police, and then this lazy and egostic people to have the same jobs; It creates accountability problems. Traditional chiefs in nigeria are way way too much. Some are real and many are not. In order to settle this, the whole traditional kini should be scrapped entirely and a day in a year should be decleared national traditional day eventhough every village has an important affair once a year atleast.
   Equality should be the driving force in scrapping this craps which can stop craps like this from occuring.
Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by Nobody: 5:48am On Jun 03, 2010
Incredible!!!!

This is. . . .wow!!! The Oba must be paying this ppl big. . . .
Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by Nobody: 5:49am On Jun 03, 2010
Eyin omo Ondo. . . . dont let this animal go free.
Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by EzeUche(m): 5:55am On Jun 03, 2010
Is this how it is done in Yorubaland? undecided

No wonder Yoruba women are running to me.
Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by Nobody: 5:56am On Jun 03, 2010
But you seriously bring tribe into everything?
Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by EzeUche(m): 5:58am On Jun 03, 2010
FL Gators:

But you seriously bring tribe into everything?

I had to, I could not resist.

Bkbaybe brought this out of me. I was never a tribalist until Nairaland turned me into one.
Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by Nobody: 5:59am On Jun 03, 2010
EzeUche:

I had to, I could not resist. Bkbaybe brought this out of me. I was never a tribalist until Nairaland turned me into it.
Like seriously, who takes bkbaybe seriously? Nice to know that you let ppl shape you. Learn to shape yourself
Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by EzeUche(m): 6:02am On Jun 03, 2010
FL Gators:

Like seriously, who takes bkbaybe seriously? Nice to know that you let ppl shape you. Learn to shape yourself

Not just him, Nairaland. People speak ish on the internet because it gives them anonymity.

Now I know what many of your PEOPLE think and wont say to my face or to other Igbos.  angry
Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by Nobody: 6:05am On Jun 03, 2010
EzeUche:

Not just him, Nairaland. People speak ish on the internet because it gives them anonymity.

Now I know what many of your PEOPLE think and wont say to my face or to other Igbos.  angry
They say things because you say things. You say things because they say things.

Think about it.
Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by EzeUche(m): 6:07am On Jun 03, 2010
w/e

Back on topic,

It is disgusting what this traditional leader to his wife.

And it is even more disgusting that people are supporting him.

Nigeria is a messed up place. Child marriages and women getting beaten everyday. Disgusting! I am glad that I left. Wicked country! angry
Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by SEFAGO(m): 6:12am On Jun 03, 2010
FL Gators:

They say things because you say things. You say things because they say things.

Think about it.

My baby is so deep, not like the low IQ igbo kid
Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by EzeUche(m): 6:13am On Jun 03, 2010
SEFAGO:

If you call that deep then you seriously deluded.

SeFaGo, are you insecure? I already know you are insecure about your masculinity. Most likely, you are insecure about your so called intellectual prowess.
Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by SEFAGO(m): 6:14am On Jun 03, 2010
EzeUche:

SeFaGo, are you insecure? I already know you are insecure about your masculinity. Most likely, you are insecure about your so called intellectual prowess.

I doubt it. It has been proven in every endeavor of my life from primary school, to WAEC to even JAMB lol
Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by EzeUche(m): 6:16am On Jun 03, 2010
If you are so intelligent, allow us all to know what private college you go to.

It is probably a university I have never heard of. At least people recognize the University of Maryland.
Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by Nobody: 6:17am On Jun 03, 2010
EzeUche:

Look dude, I'll never insult you, so dont do the same to me just because you two have some issues going on. Respect me, I respect you.

Anywayz, think about it.

SEFAGO:

Arent you supposed to be watching "THE BLUE'S CLUE" ?
Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by EzeUche(m): 6:20am On Jun 03, 2010
FL Gators:

Look dude, I'll never insult you, so dont do the same to me just because you two have some issues going on. Respect me, I respect you.

Anywayz, think about it.

Where in my post did I insult you?  undecided

I simply said your statement is not deep. Your quote is simply an allegory for t i t for tat. It doesn't ask a person to look deeper into a perceived meaning that requires deep thought.
Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by SEFAGO(m): 6:21am On Jun 03, 2010
EzeUche:

If you are so intelligent, allow us all to know what private college you go to.

It is probably a university I have never heard of. At least people recognize the University of Maryland.

I dont go to college. I did a long tym ago. But trust me it smashes UMD. Not even in its class at all

However, please stop insulting my kinsman undecided

The Title is very misleading you know. The Afenifere leader did not affirm that what the Oba did was good.
Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by Nobody: 6:22am On Jun 03, 2010
EzeUche:

Where in my post did I insult you?  undecided

I simply said your statement is not deep
. Your quote is simply an allegory for bosom for tat. It doesn't ask a person to look deeper into a perceived meaning that requires deep thought.

That hurts my feelings. For a minute there, I thought I went deep. grin
Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by Nobody: 6:22am On Jun 03, 2010
SEFAGO:

I dont go to college. I did a long tym ago. But trust me it smashes UMD. Not even in its class at all

The Title is very misleading you know. The Afenifere leader did not affirm that what the Oba did was good.
undecided
Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by EzeUche(m): 6:25am On Jun 03, 2010
SEFAGO:

Then name you university or shut up. If it is not an ivy-league institution, then it will NEVER get respect from me taxi driver. . .

"On his part, the leader of Afenifere, who is also a prominent indigene of the Akure, Chief Rueben Fasoranti, said the monarch was free to do whatever he liked."

Free to do whatever he liked? Seems like he does not care what happens to this woman. Tacit support if your ask me.
Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by EzeUche(m): 6:26am On Jun 03, 2010
FL Gators:

That hurts my feelings. For a minute there, I thought I went deep. grin

Sorry but the truth hurts. But find solace, SEFAGO thought it was deep so that should be some consolation.
Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by SEFAGO(m): 6:28am On Jun 03, 2010
Then name you university or shut up. If it is not an ivy-league institution, then it will NEVER get respect from me taxi driver. . .

You must be retarded, there are lots of excellent schools that are not Ivies. Even moreso, there are so many that are way better than the public school system called UMD.

Trust me, when I apply for a job and you do, I will always get a lot of preference. Anywayts forget about y undergrad, I was boasting of passing waec
Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by Nobody: 6:32am On Jun 03, 2010
EzeUche:

Sorry but the truth hurts. But find solace, SEFAGO thought it was deep so that should be some consolation.
A lot of consolation, actually.

SEFAGO:

You must be retarded,
Those are my words
Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by EzeUche(m): 6:33am On Jun 03, 2010
SEFAGO:

You must be retarded, there are lots of excellent schools that are not Ivies. Even moreso, there are so many that are way better than the public school system called UMD.

Trust me, when I apply for a job and you do, I will always get a lot of preference. Anywayts forget about y undergrad, I was boasting of passing waec

Name the school you dunce!  angry

Are you that much ashamed of your university. You keep on talking crap about the University of Maryland which is a quality institution for the right price while no one knows about the university you attended.

Either put up or shut up.
Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by SEFAGO(m): 6:34am On Jun 03, 2010
Why the hell would I name my school you idiot- some of my classmates actually frequent this site though they dont post on it. LOL
Re: Wife-Beating Oba Vs Kingmakers, Human Rights Groups by EzeUche(m): 6:42am On Jun 03, 2010
SEFAGO:

Why the hell would I name my school you idiot- some of my classmates actually frequent this site though they dont post on it. LOL

You are a fool. No one knows who you are. So why would your classmates get upset? Because you named your university? Your reasoning is quite. . .well it is weird

I go to the University of Maryland and many other people who post in these threads go to the same university. \

YOU MUST BE ASHAMED OF YOUR UNIVERSITY THAT NO ONE HAS HEARD ABOUT. . .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

An Assessment On The State Of The STATE / FG To Ban Importation Of Fabric For Producing Security Agencies’ Uniform / N/assembly Workers Threaten Strike Over Conditions Of Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.