Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,672 members, 7,809,553 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:11 AM

Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience (14328 Views)

Can I Start Bee Keeping With 100k? / Signify Interest To Participate In Our FREE Bee-keeping Training In Ibadan!!!! / Apiculture - Bee Keeping (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by okoroemeka(m): 8:35pm On Nov 07, 2018
saliubello:
Wonders of nature
pls oga we bought rain gun from u year.pls how do I keep bees on cucumber farm for pollination, what system do we use?,how do we attract them,pls seriously need bees in farm this coming harmattan they use to disappear during harmattan.
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 9:19pm On Nov 07, 2018
okoroemeka:
pls oga we bought rain gun from u year.pls how do I keep bees on cucumber farm for pollination, what system do we use?,how do we attract them,pls seriously need bees in farm this coming harmattan they use to disappear during harmattan.

To have this wonderful creatures on your farm for pollination is easy.. ONLY spray your pesticides and fungicides in the late evening - just before sunset, the BENEFICIAL INSECTS would have returned home, so the pesticides gets rid of the harmful ones..The effect of the chemical will still be on them at sunrise when the bees come to visit your cucumber but trust me, the toxicity would have wanned out a little to a tolerable level for them.

Pollination services will only be needed if you are cultivating 100 acres and above at a stretch ( monocropping)..so you don't need to worry, the bees will locate your cucumber flowers..dont turn down the invitation by applying pesticides just after sunrise.

Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 12:15am On Nov 08, 2018
Do you know you can distinguish honey from different farms and location. Asides the physical qualities of color, viscosity, taste. You can tell the amount of water in a given sample of honey. The higher the moisture content, the lower the quality!

Honey is HYGROSCOPIC, Hope I get that correct. It absorbs moisture from the atmosphere easily. While you are careless and leaving the honey bucket open during harvesting, you are only reducing the quality of your honey.

Someday..honey business will take its right place in Nigeria.

Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by olushollys(m): 9:34am On Nov 08, 2018
Nice One Bro, Keep It Up!
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 8:46am On Nov 12, 2018
It's a game of numbers for now, the higher the number of boxes (hives) the higher the likelihood of early colonisation.

You can start with this simple KTBH

1 Like

Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by HolyMalaam: 7:14pm On Nov 12, 2018
This is a very interesting and educative thread. I must commend the OP for trying to educate us on bee keeping. However, there are some of his willing to learn the art of bee keeping from you. We do hope u will organise a training session soon. Thanks
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 11:47pm On Nov 12, 2018
HolyMalaam:
This is a very interesting and educative thread. I must commend the OP for trying to educate us on bee keeping. However, there are some of his willing to learn the art of bee keeping from you. We do hope u will organise a training session soon. Thanks
Someday. I can't organize trainings sessions using obsolete tools and technologies. We are already adapting modern technologies which we are currently conducting PILOT STUDIES with, ONCE, the results of the pilot studies are FABULOUS, and all looking good. I will definitely invite a lot of TRAINEES and INVESTORS alike to come partake in the largesse!

Stay tuned for the report on the honey harvest!

1 Like

Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 7:18am On Nov 20, 2018
saliubello:
Someday. I can't organize trainings sessions using obsolete tools and technologies. We are already adapting modern technologies which we are currently conducting PILOT STUDIES with, ONCE, the results of the pilot studies are FABULOUS, and all looking good. I will definitely invite a lot of TRAINEES and INVESTORS alike to come partake in the largesse!

Stay tuned for the report on the honey harvest!
Just yesterday, I received a team from Lagos, who came to visit me in Igboora. Their aims were to learn, see what an apiary looks like, see physically some of the equipments we talk about here.

We interacted cordially. It was an opportunity to share my dreams, frustrations and successes.

See their text message after returning home.

Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by Larryejomafuvwe(m): 11:57am On Nov 20, 2018
saliubello:
Just yesterday, I received a team from Lagos, who came to visit me in Igboora. There aims were to learn, see what an apiary looks like, see physically some of the equipments we talk about here.

We interacted cordially. It was an opportunity to share my dreams, frustrations and successes.

See their text message after returning home.
please how long does it take for you to harvest your honey and after that first harvest.. How long before you can harvest it again?
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by Papertrail11(m): 4:43am On Nov 21, 2018
Larryejomafuvwe:
please how long does it take for you to harvest your honey and after that first harvest.. How long before you can harvest it again?

till u have capped honey which contains the required water content which ought to be present in honey usually around 17% if am not mistaken
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 5:12am On Nov 21, 2018
Larryejomafuvwe:
1. With KTBH, ONCE a year. But with innovation, you could do 2 or more a year
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 5:30am On Nov 21, 2018
Papertrail11:

till u have capped honey which contains the required water content which ought to be present in honey usually around 17% if am not mistaken
6 honey brands bought recently off the shelf in a supermarket in ibadan, didn't come close to this. They were between 22% and 25% water content. Horribly enough, the most expensive brand is the worse culprit. It contains 25% water content, it even has FDA number and NAFDAC number- meaning he probably does exports to the USA, the brand carry unripe honey put for rubber, seal am, come package am like say na better thing dey inside. Sadly too, of these 6 brands, 3 were imported into Nigeria. Nigerians can import ANYTHING. Of the 3 imported brands, 1 turned out to be a suspected fake honey... I'M SUSPECTING IT! I will look out for it in another city and try and test my assumptions again.

2 Likes

Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by Papertrail11(m): 7:58am On Nov 21, 2018
saliubello:
6 honey brands bought recently off the shelf in a supermarket in ibadan, didn't come close to this. They were between 22% and 25% water content. Horribly enough, the most expensive brand is the worse culprit. It contains 25% water content, it even has FDA number and NAFDAC number- meaning he probably does exports to the USA, the brand carry unripe honey put for rubber, seal am, come package am like say na better thing dey inside. Sadly too, of these 6 brands, 3 were imported into Nigeria. Nigerians can import ANYTHING. Of the 3 imported brands, 1 turned out to be a suspected fake honey...[/b]I'M SUSPECTING IT![b] I will look out for it in another city and try and test my assumptions again.

I like the fact that men like you are going out there to make a standard that should be key a lot of guys just see honey and assume it's good to go there are processes.

2 Likes

Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by Luvlydevin(m): 3:14am On Nov 25, 2018
I love this
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by jarx: 7:20am On Nov 26, 2018
Wonderful thread. Please when is the best time to harvest honey which month is the best?
I'd love to join a WhatsApp group if there is any, am about to venture into this business
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 10:41am On Nov 27, 2018
jarx:
Wonderful thread. Please when is the best time to harvest honey which month is the best?
I'd love to join a WhatsApp group if there is any, am about to venture into this business
Traditional method - once a year, could be anytime once you are sure they have sealed the honey cappings I.e honey is ripe
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 10:57am On Nov 27, 2018
saliubello:
Not satisfied, this is where we are going in terms of clean, smooth and efficient honey processing

This system involved the "oyinbo styled" beehive that you be harvesting honey every 2 months if the environment is rich in flowers of all shades
This extractor unit has arrived and awaiting usage. Healthy food and healthy living is serious business.!
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by sirojik: 11:07am On Nov 27, 2018
pheonixdld2:
Keenly following thread.
pls hw do I reach u
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 11:14am On Nov 27, 2018
sirojik:

pls hw do I reach u
Here are my Mobile Numbers; Globacom: 08050323434, Airtel: 08028873809, Etisalat: 08099066646 or saliubello2003@yahoo.com
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by Nobody: 2:51pm On Nov 27, 2018
I keep reading and following Good work op
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by Christistruth00: 5:58am On Nov 28, 2018
saliubello:
don't know. Not a single company brought it for exhibition at the just concluded conference in Abuja.

Stay tuned for the honey harvest soon; most likely December

Can a basket with cover be used if improvisation is needed to transport beehives. and can flowhives be constructed locally, the flowhives can harvest honey 2 monthly where there is sunlight in abundance according to YouTube videos.
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 7:26am On Nov 28, 2018
Christistruth00:

Can a basket with cover be used if improvisation is needed to transport beehives. and can flowhives be constructed locally, the flowhives can harvest honey 2 monthly where there is sunlight in abundance according to YouTube videos.
don't try it. grin grin or you can try it. VERY RISKY. How much are you trying to save?? Bees stings are deadly! They can kill if you are careless. This your improvisation idea will end in SEVERE and collateral damage..Count me out of such RISKY ventures.

I suppose you didn't read where i wrote on improvisations.

2 Likes

Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by Papertrail11(m): 1:31am On Dec 01, 2018
saliubello:
This extractor unit has arrived and awaiting usage. Healthy food and healthy living is serious business.!

just got mine too 4 frame electric will take a pic and share here reason I went with the electric was cos it sounds the remaining trapped honey in the frames out even on high capacity and extended minutes
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by pheonixdld2(m): 1:01am On Jan 18, 2019
sirojik:

pls hw do I reach u
WhatsApp 09099236561..
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by obstead200(m): 7:54pm On Jan 18, 2019
jarx:
to farm bees in commercial quantity for honey production, Ur apiary needs to be located in an area that grow lots of flowering plants........ hectares of it.
Either a rainforest, an orchard or a farm that grows lots of legumes (beans, soybeans, groundnuts) or lots of vegetables and fruits

1 Like

Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 8:17am On Jan 20, 2019
CONCLUSION

Yesterday, 19th January 2019, I invited a colleague to join me in harvesting the honey from the apiary. Im very SORRY that I couldnt bring you step by step images how we approached the hives and how we were picking out the combs for harvesting. All arrangements were made for the photoshop. But just as the operation commenced, the fellow handling the camera had wardrobe malfunction, he was badly stunged and that unsettled us greatly..

we commenced the operation::

1. We approached/inspected the boxes to be worked upon, ONLY 5 units as the rest of the other 5 hives has been vandalised and the honey therein stolen.
2. The operation went smoothly, as our team members had shared the tasks amongst ourselves. We usually open each hive, one at a time..then comes the buzz sounds..the bees approached us mercilessly in defence of there honey. we calm them down by puffing them with smoke..then bring our the frames, one after the other, this helps to find only those that contained sealed honey only..and separating the honey from brood.
3. The getaway was the difficult part, after harvesting the honey and our buckets were full, we carried them to the waiting vehicle, every one of us went in different directions so that the bees can stop trying to sting us/follow us..as my colleagues went different ways..i just drove the car with the honey round and round so they can stop following and they can make there way back to the hive..I picked up my colleagues shortly after i could turn the car.. and off we went..
4. The veils were removed in the car after moving a distance away from the hives.

1 Like

Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 8:34am On Jan 20, 2019
HARVEST REPORT
on getting home, we commenced the processing of the honey right away. put them in them press and squeeze.

A total approximate of 40litres of honey was squeezed out of the combs.

This gives an average of 8litres a box.

Further processing of the honey will continue today.
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 9:07am On Jan 20, 2019
Processing images

Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 9:08am On Jan 20, 2019
Pilling up

Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by balingaonline(m): 2:26pm On Jan 20, 2019
i'm seeing this topic for the first time to day, what i need to do to be benefit of this great business opportunity, pls i'm highly intrested.
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 11:15am On Jan 21, 2019
SALES

Our honey will be available for sale immediately.
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 11:23am On Jan 21, 2019
LESSONS LEARNT

Beekeeping can be productive, lucrative and self sustaining when done the right way. It is a life long commitment with nature. I have therefore, decided to walk this path, learn, improve, innovate and make brisk money while doing other things along.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Simple Truth On How To Farm Watermelon Successfully / Anambra To Begin Export Of Rice Soon – Gov. Obiano / Plantain Sucker Production Business - The Silent Wealth Secrets Exposed!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.