Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,628 members, 7,813,074 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:24 AM

Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience - Agriculture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience (14345 Views)

Can I Start Bee Keeping With 100k? / Signify Interest To Participate In Our FREE Bee-keeping Training In Ibadan!!!! / Apiculture - Bee Keeping (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 10:21pm On Oct 04, 2020
It's a traditional way of punishing a thief whose footprint was found at the site of a theft. The identified foot print was mine oo unknowingly.

I paid dearly for the error.
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 11:03pm On Oct 04, 2020
By the time the security will come and resume fully by middle December 2019, they had raided the hives three times.

In march 2020, the thieves returned again this time, the security dealt with them, he shot at them, they scampered for safety and one of them left with blood stains. Their loot was recovered in full, but they had damaged all the hives.

Nothing substantial was harvested despite the huge investments, except for about 100litres salvaged from the ones that recovered after the initial setback they had when they were vandalized.
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 11:04pm On Oct 04, 2020
100 litres from 110 hives for all through 2019/2020 harvest.

This problem of theft was encountered only in this site. Other locations where I have hives do not record this unexplained loss.

From every indications so far, I now know the thieves stealing my honey, the neighbors living across the farm.

1. Those boys seen with honey on the morning my apiary was raided lives just opposite my apiary. While I sleep 25km away on my bed in town.

2. Items recovered from the scene the day they were shot at by my security guard are actually the same personal effects they wore the day I first challenged them for stealing from my apiary.

3. Lastly, this is contestable but I can bet my life on it. The second time I saw them with honey and dipped my hand inside the honey they were carrying, it tasted the flavour of the flora found around my apiary. I'm used to that flavor so much.

4. The second time I challenged them on stealing my honey, the volume of the crevices where they showed me they had harvested from is too small compared to the volume and litres of honey found on them. The flavor too was far from the scent/flavor of the flower of the tree that housed the wild colonies.

5. Account of the neighbors of the honey thieves in regards to the direction where they were seen or sighted in the wee hours of the nights of the days my hives were raided indicated they were coming from the directions of my apiary.

With these information, I know the thieves making a mess of my beekeeping ventures.
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 11:07pm On Oct 04, 2020
2020 now, there is permanent security staff all through since March, he will be there till harvest God willing December 2020/January 2021
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 11:07pm On Oct 04, 2020
Farming is very slippery. And can be unpredictable sometimes.
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 11:11pm On Oct 04, 2020
I have a branded honey product in the city now.

Watch out for it in the stores near you.

1 Like

Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 12:02am On Oct 05, 2020
Now, due to the experiences gathered so far on beekeeping, I will encourage anyone who wishes to do beekeeping to first seek and be trained on the science of beekeeping. That way, they wouldn't go through the wasteful cycles I went through.

I'm not being boastful, as I have written records to show that I have spent over N2,500,000 on the beekeeping ventures in the last 3years. The knowledge is not free and cheap too.

Having undergone training, it saves you money and time.

1 Like

Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 12:06am On Oct 05, 2020
Soon I shall start one on one online and off-line beekeeping trainings including practical sessions for newbies. Such trainings will be revealing and bare it all with nothing to hide.
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 12:45am On Oct 05, 2020
saliubello:
We have acquired few units of Langstroth hives ( oyinbo styled hives ) and hoping to stock them with bees from our swarm catchers which we have placed in various places.

Updates as we progress
the langstroth experiment was a mess for the following reasons:

1. The imported langstroth hives (from china) were defective for the Africans bees. The beespace and frame width were too thin/small, therefore, the bee will always make cross combs. This was same in super compartment.

2. The replicas we made from the imported were equally defective. The carpenter didn't do good job, but it was not his fault totally, he only replicated the defective imported one.

3. They were all colonized but the strengths of the colonies was very poor because they all were cross combs and wasted ample space in the hives. The honey stores were rather low too.

4. The local carpenter I'm aware can do it deliberately made us a defective one too. He was unavailable to do it himself and delegated to some one who does not understand the need for precision. And so, out of annoyance I just destroyed all the colonies in the langstroth hives and returned them home. Someday, I hope to have time to seek the person who will do a new set of frames that will be correct for me.
But I have one that breeds new swarms for me. I should have left the ones I destroyed too as source of swarms.
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by Christistruth00: 12:46am On Oct 05, 2020
saliubello:

This problem of theft was encountered only in this site. Other locations where I have hives do not record this unexplained loss.

From every indications so far, I now know the thieves stealing my honey, the neighbors living across the farm.

1. Those boys seen with honey on the morning my apiary was raided lives just opposite my apiary. While I sleep 25km away on my bed in town.

2. Items recovered from the scene the day they were shot at by my security guard are actually the same personal effects they wore the day I first challenged them for stealing from my apiary.

3. Lastly, this is contestable but I can bet my life on it. The second time I saw them with honey and dipped my hand inside the honey they were carrying, it tasted the flavour of the flora found around my apiary. I'm used to that flavor so much.

4. The second time I challenged them on stealing my honey, the volume of the crevices where they showed me they had harvested from is too small compared to the volume and litres of honey found on them. The flavor too was far from the scent/flavor of the flower of the tree that housed the wild colonies.

5. Account of the neighbors of the honey thieves in regards to the direction where they were seen or sighted in the wee hours of the nights of the days my hives were raided indicated they were coming from the directions of my apiary.

With these information, I know the thieves making a mess of my beekeeping ventures.

Can you install concealed CCTV Camera once you get evidence you can challenge them or inform police. Or you can keep beehives in the City on your property but you need to build a wall of at least 12 ft around it for safety. The wall can be made of plywood. The wall forces the bees to fly high into the air in a way that reduces the risk to humans.
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 12:55am On Oct 05, 2020
Christistruth00:

Can you install concealed CCTV Camera once you get evidence you can challenge them or inform police
yes that is an option but this 2020 hives and the permanent security will rid that site of nonsense. Other hives in other locations weren't problematic as experienced on this site.

The property is over 100acres i can't vacate it because I don't have problems with the owner. It can take over 500hives. With time I will win and grow like I want.

The instructions to the security is shoot to kill.

1 Like

Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 1:01am On Oct 05, 2020
saliubello:

This margin or ratio is too embarrassing to report so the reason I abandoned the diary. But time has healed me and I can mention it. 100litres from 110hives.
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by Christistruth00: 1:07am On Oct 05, 2020
saliubello:
yes that is an option but this 2020 hives and the permanent security will rid that site of nonsense. Other hives in other locations weren't problematic as experienced on this site.

The property is over 100acres i can't vacate it because I don't have problems with the owner. It can take over 500hives. With time I will win and grow like I want.

The instructions to the security is shoot to kill.

Please don't kill anyone na hungry dey catch dem.

you can keep beehives in the City on your property but you need to build a wall of at least 12 ft around it for safety. The wall can be made of plywood. The wall forces the bees to fly high into the air in a way that reduces the risk to humans
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by Christistruth00: 1:14am On Oct 05, 2020
saliubello:
It's a traditional way of punishing a thief whose footprint was found at the site of a theft. The identified foot print was mine oo unknowingly.

I paid dearly for the error.

Saliubello if you want to live long and prosper you need to learn to leave vengeance to God. Many times God uses our enemies to sharpen and strengthen us.

Joseph Kanara of Sierra Leone developed the Kamara hive made of 2 baskets inside each other, it is cheap and it yields up to 40 kg per harvest.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kamara+hive&oq=kamara+hive&aqs=chrome..69i57j33.6533j1j4&client=ms-android-gotron&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#

Please how do you attract the bees

Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 1:19am On Oct 05, 2020
Christistruth00:

you can keep beehives in the City on your property but you need to build a wall of at least 12 ft around it for safety. The wall can be made of plywood. The wall forces the bees to fly high into the air in a way that reduces the risk to humans
Those guys are the same extractions terrorizing farmers across Nigeria. The 3 of them keeping their animals across the road have been invited, but one of them houses children who comes to learn Arabic from farther places, they are the culprits.
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 1:26am On Oct 05, 2020
Christistruth00:

Saliubello if you want to live long and prosper you need to learn to leave vengeance to God. Many times God uses our enemies to sharpen and strengthen us.

Joseph Kanara of Sierra Leone developed the Kamara hive made of 2 baskets inside each other and it yields up to 40 kg per harvest.

Please how do yo attract the bees
the experience was real o. He went to the person who gave him the stuff and brought some foul smelling liquid and administered someway, thats all o.

Attracting bees is easy, not luck. Several options but a combination of the regular options does the trick. Beeswax and lemongrass oil does it for me. Now I just use splitting and don't wait for swarms anymore.

1 Like

Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 1:34am On Oct 05, 2020
Christistruth00:

the number I want to do will be problematic for township beekeeping.

1 Like

Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 7:34am On Oct 05, 2020
saliubello:

This problem of theft was encountered only in this site.
How did I populate the hives from 5 - over 100 over a year period?

Hive colonization is dependent on the existing thriving bee colonies in the wild. Meaning they have been living in that environment in the wild prior to humans devising a method to keep them at ground levels. Those natural homes are preferential to the bees but its us that want them at ground levels.

Remember I mentioned the 2-3 trees that bees lives in the crevices just along the way. Such natural colonies abound like that, at least I know of about 6 points around my apiary. And I protect them just as I protect my wooden hives, it's from there that regular supply of new swarms come from to populate my apiary.

This year, as those boys had destroyed all the natural homes of the bees, I rarely catch swarms like I used to enjoy before.

And I wouldn't appreciate or know too, if not that experience and time revealed that to me.
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 7:41am On Oct 05, 2020
Human activities of agriculture, construction etc destroy the natural homes of bees. The urge to swarm and populate becomes not interesting to the bees in my apiary because I'm closely monitoring them. Swarming of bees is not in the interest of the beekeeper, it reduces the honey yield, so I check mate such urge.

Existence of Natural bee nest is vital for survival of any sustainable beekeeping.
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by Christistruth00: 7:05pm On Oct 05, 2020
saliubello:
Human activities of agriculture, construction etc destroy the natural homes of bees. The urge to swarm and populate becomes not interesting to the bees in my apiary because I'm closely monitoring them. Swarming of bees is not in the interest of the beekeeper, it reduces the honey yield, so I check mate such urge.

Existence of Natural bee nest is vital for survival of any sustainable beekeeping.

Please which trees did you say attract bees and how exactly do you apply the lemon grass and bees wax to the hive?

Have you seen the Kamara hive made of 2 baskets inside each other it is not expensive and is said to yield 40 kg per season

https://www.google.com/search?q=kamara+hive&oq=kamara+hive&aqs=chrome..69i57j33.6533j1j4&client=ms-android-gotron&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#

Improved Traditional Beekeeping ( Cameron)
https://vimeo.com/238070235
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by benzion72(m): 9:01am On Oct 06, 2020
One of the problem facing farmer in Africa is theft. Well done Sir.
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 1:19am On Oct 07, 2020
Christistruth00:

Please which trees did you say attract bees and how exactly do you apply the lemon grass and bees wax to the hive?

Have you seen the Kamara hive made of 2 baskets inside each other it is not expensive and is said to yield 40 kg per season

Improved Traditional Beekeeping ( Cameron)
https://vimeo.com/238070235

i use meligna wood for my hives and can say without fear the bees don't find it offensive. i have seen the kamara hive video that you shared. if i will try another hive, its the langstroth type i have that i will rather increase in number. lemongrass oil is only smeared into the hive or 2-3 drops only. the science behind the lemongrass oil is that it smells or similar to the queen pheromone thereby encouraging them to colonise it.

we have reported fantastic average yields per hive from our hives from other location, fantastic to assure of a good cost benefit ratio. no doubt, beekeeping is the way.

its just that im more interested in this location than other places and not so much bothered by these initial setbacks being experienced there.

2 Likes

Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 1:23am On Oct 07, 2020
benzion72:
One of the problem facing farmer in Africa is theft. Well done Sir.
aside theft, beekeeping poses the least challenges in all the other agricultural ventures.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by Christistruth00: 1:31pm On Oct 10, 2020
saliubello:
aside theft, beekeeping poses the least challenges in all the other agricultural ventures.

Well done . I watched a video where a successful Ugandan beekeeper said Honey is to the African what Oil is to the Arab.

The only problem is that Africans don't know it yet.
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by zanshi: 9:25pm On Oct 12, 2020
Christistruth00:

Well done . I watched a video where a successful Ugandan beekeeper said Honey is to the African what Oil is to the Arab.

The only problem is that Africans don't know it yet.

Yes, i very much agree, once it is winter in America, a lot of Bees 90% of them die and beekeepers dare not draw honey out during the winter season because that can bring total loss to a hive.

But here in Africa, our weather is very much favorable for large scale commercial Beekeeping.

3 Likes

Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by zanshi: 9:39pm On Oct 12, 2020
saliubello:
This margin or ratio is too embarrassing to report so the reason I abandoned the diary. But time has healed me and I can mention it. 100litres from 110hives.

What kind of hives

Langs or KTBH?
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by zanshi: 10:03pm On Oct 12, 2020
CC Saliubello

Have you had an hive where you got 15-20kg harvest.
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 9:02am On Oct 13, 2020
zanshi:

What kind of hives

Langs or KTBH?
KTBH.
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 9:14am On Oct 13, 2020
zanshi:
CC Saliubello

Have you had an hive where you got 15-20kg harvest.
Yes, I had personally harvested about 26litres from one single hive at one of my oga's backyard ( in a residential area) somewhere near Oshogbo (a rainforest belt with luxuriant vegetation all year round). It's a possibility to have very bountiful harvest anywhere as this depends on weather, location and management practices.
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by Rammycares(f): 1:07pm On Oct 29, 2020
Thanks so much for this great dairy of your beekeeping experience, I just came across this post today and I'm glad I did.

I'm into source and supply of honey in Lagos
And have also been sourcing for knowledge of beekeeping hoping to start a beekeeping training soon.

also is it possible for you to supply me from your honey harvest by this coming December.
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 7:05pm On Dec 06, 2020
Some honey were collected few days ago and its available for sale. N3000 per liter. Send me a message if you are interested.

PLEASE TRY THIS MY OWN HONEY AND COMPARE, IM BEGGING YOU. YOU MUST LOVE IT.

1 Like

Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 8:38pm On Mar 13, 2021
Buy from a beekeeper, honey available for sale

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Anambra To Begin Export Of Rice Soon – Gov. Obiano / Nigeria To Remove ‘political Farmers’ From Database / Quick Steps To Grow Yams In Sacks For Harvest Within 6-8 Months

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.