Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,616 members, 7,813,025 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:46 AM

Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience (14343 Views)

Can I Start Bee Keeping With 100k? / Signify Interest To Participate In Our FREE Bee-keeping Training In Ibadan!!!! / Apiculture - Bee Keeping (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by Christistruth00: 4:49pm On Apr 14, 2019
honifome:
I have been passionate at beekeeping since 2017. After surfing the internet enough for tutorials, i decided to construct a10 frame langstroth hive. The hive was installed in a rubber dominated farm in ondo state and baited with essential lemongrass oil. Sugar syrup filled container lid was also placed beside the hive. Bees came next morning and suck up the solution but refuse to colonise the hive. The lid was filled with sugar syrup four times again but yield no result. I returned to Lagos with doubts of success. I taught the reason could be inability to bait the hive with beewax or honeycomb. I did not know where to get them, that was the reason. Meanwhile, i decided to construct two more standard 11 frames langstroth hive using a beespace of 7mm for african bees strain. The first hive bee space was 10mm but that should not be the reason for swarm refusal to colonise. After finally obtaining beewax from a distant person (Mr Azeez) by contact through nairaland, i returned to ondo state with the two new hives. The three hives ( one initially installed) were later smeared with the beewax and i travelled back to lagos the next day expecting good news from my uncle, the rubber farm owner. After waiting several months without positive results, i called Mr Azeez and explained the problem. He adviced me to use honey comb instead of beewax and i hurriedly ordered for it. Upon receival, i returned to the farm on january 27 2019 and fixed the combs to the frame after dipping in honey. Sugar syrup was also placed at each entrance. Next morning, bees sucked up the sugar solution and scout bees were found inspecting the hives hours later. I waited five days to see whether at least, one of the hives will be colonised but to my surprise, none. I returned to lagos unhappy. Four weeks ago i called a professional in beekeeping and explained the issue to him and how worried i am. He asked for the dominating forage source and i replied rubber. Rubber is not a reliable forage source for bees because it flowers once in a year and the type of wood (teak) for the hives body could be the reason but the first is not teak though the wood is not known.
OP or any other willing person, i need your assistance in getting package bees from your apiary or allow me to bring a nuc box to your apiary to collect bees. I am ready to negotiate.

Please continue this thread . A successful Ugandan beekeeper said “Honey is to the black man what Crude Oil is to the Arab.” This is an area that God has given as a gift to us but it needs to be discovered and really harnessed.

1 Like

Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by Christistruth00: 4:59pm On Apr 14, 2019
saliubello:
Money to be made in beekeeping

Your peculiar challenge in catching a swarm is a general problem. The business of selling packaged bees is the new business idea anyone could work on and smile to the bank.

I currently catch swarms here and there using small catcher boxes which I usually later transfer after colonization to bigger boxes.

Your next answer is this, for any serious commercial beekeeping operation. You might need to undergo training on queen breeding. That solves all your apiary expansion challenges.

There are many simple queen breeding techniques on YouTube.
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 12:02pm On Apr 16, 2019
Christistruth00:

Please carry on with this thread it is very important and it is the only thread on beekeeping.
New updates coming
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by Christistruth00: 6:26pm On Apr 17, 2019
saliubello:
New updates coming

Very good cheesy Thanks.
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 4:12pm On Apr 21, 2019
We have acquired few units of Langstroth hives ( oyinbo styled hives ) and hoping to stock them with bees from our swarm catchers which we have placed in various places.

Updates as we progress

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by Christistruth00: 7:07pm On Apr 21, 2019
saliubello:
We have acquired few units of Langstroth hives ( oyinbo styled hives ) and hoping to stock them with bees from our swarm catchers which we have placed in various places.

Updates as we progress

Thank you. What are you using as bait in the Swarm traps is it Lemon grass or Bee wax?
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 9:58pm On Apr 21, 2019
Christistruth00:

Thank you. What are you using as bait in the Swarm traps is it Lemon grass or Bee wax?
Beewax only. But remember as I have noted earlier, the fulani boy will not ignore this setup if he sights them. So im not leaving them in the open, rather i will only transfer the bees into them from the smaller versions which i already have in the fields for catching swarms.

2 Likes

Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by honifome(m): 4:13am On Apr 22, 2019
Congratulations on your new langstroth hives! Did you use top bars alone or rectangular frames and what bee space did you use?
saliubello:

Updates as we progress
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by honifome(m): 4:27am On Apr 22, 2019
Where did you place your catcher boxes before swarm arrival
saliubello:
Money to be made in beekeeping

Your peculiar challenge in catching a swarm is a general problem. The business of selling packaged bees is the new business idea anyone could work on and smile to the bank.

I currently catch swarms here and there using small catcher boxes which I usually later transfer after colonization to bigger boxes.

Your next answer is this, for any serious commercial beekeeping operation. You might need to undergo training on queen breeding. That solves all your apiary expansion challenges.
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 10:38am On Apr 22, 2019
honifome:
Where did you place your catcher boxes before swarm arrival
on tree trunks or custom made stands placed near a hedge or tree
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 10:38am On Apr 22, 2019
honifome:
Congratulations on your new langstroth hives! Did you use top bars alone or rectangular frames and what bee space did you use?
it came with its frames.
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by honifome(m): 1:21pm On Apr 22, 2019
saliubello:
it came with its frames.
That means you need honey extractor for harvest
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 2:31pm On Apr 22, 2019
honifome:
That means you need honey extractor for harvest
i have that already. Check the previous page, i had reported about it before.
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by honifome(m): 3:38pm On Apr 22, 2019
Very good bro! Your new hive looks like imported one or is it?
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 3:51pm On Apr 22, 2019
honifome:
Very good bro! Your new hive looks like imported one or is it?
that's correct. Only when you have the real/original close to you, can you make good replica. My carpenter has assured me that he will make a good replica.
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 5:35am On May 16, 2019
All apiaries must have a good source water nearby, plenty of flowering trees and plants as well as be situated 100 meters from homes and schools.

Also, there are noticed threats to hives/apiary everyday. The biggest threats are people, honey badgers/thieves and ants, in that order.

1 Like

Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 8:10am On May 23, 2019
talk to us us if you want to start your beekeeping ventures
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by Ibus: 10:56pm On May 30, 2019
Bro, I like your Langstroth hive, your carpenter really did a great job., I will like to make mine too, pls give me a contact I can order for. And how much did it cost you to make one. Thanks.
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by Brineharry: 9:03am On May 31, 2019
saliubello:

Updates as we progress
Good day sir... Sir pls I need ur contact so I can talk more with u...zero eight one one 6048 eight 36
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by jarx: 2:46pm On Mar 04, 2020
saliubello:

Updates as we progress
please can I see the inside and the frames
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 8:20pm On Mar 06, 2020
jarx:

please can I see the inside and the frames
if you are the one who has been chatting me on whassap lately. I will suggest you join a bee beekeeping training session. There you will be taught the whats and the whys. It saves you money, time and heartache.

1 Like

Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by Afoskalex(m): 9:50pm On Mar 06, 2020
saliubello:
if you are the one who has been chatting me on whassap lately. I will suggest you join a bee beekeeping training session. There you will be taught the whats and the whys. It saves you money, time and heartache.

How can one join?
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by OpmOfficer: 4:10pm On Aug 13, 2020
Great thread I have learnt alot just going through, keep up the good work. Please who here based in Cross River State, I'm in the honey business and I believe we can be of help to each other.
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 11:25pm On Sep 10, 2020
OpmOfficer:
Great thread I have learnt alot just going through, keep up the good work. Please who here based in Cross River State, I'm in the honey business and I believe we can be of help to each other.
good to know.
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 8:08pm On Oct 04, 2020
saliubello:
CONCLUSION

Yesterday, 19th January 2019, I invited a colleague to join me in harvesting the honey from the apiary. Im very SORRY that I couldnt bring you step by step images how we approached the hives and how we were picking out the combs for harvesting. All arrangements were made for the photoshop. But just as the operation commenced, the fellow handling the camera had wardrobe malfunction, he was badly stunged and that unsettled us greatly..

we commenced the operation::

1. We approached/inspected the boxes to be worked upon, ONLY 5 units as the rest of the other 5 hives has been vandalised and the honey therein stolen.
2. The operation went smoothly, as our team members had shared the tasks amongst ourselves. We usually open each hive, one at a time..then comes the buzz sounds..the bees approached us mercilessly in defence of there honey. we calm them down by puffing them with smoke..then bring our the frames, one after the other, this helps to find only those that contained sealed honey only..and separating the honey from brood.
3. The getaway was the difficult part, after harvesting the honey and our buckets were full, we carried them to the waiting vehicle, every one of us went in different directions so that the bees can stop trying to sting us/follow us..as my colleagues went different ways..i just drove the car with the honey round and round so they can stop following and they can make there way back to the hive..I picked up my colleagues shortly after i could turn the car.. and off we went..
4. The veils were removed in the car after moving a distance away from the hives.

Do you remember this post?

I'm returning today 4th October 2020 to continue the diary. Hope you will learn something from the experiences.
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 8:10pm On Oct 04, 2020
saliubello:
HARVEST REPORT
on getting home, we commenced the processing of the honey right away. put them in them press and squeeze.

A total approximate of 40litres of honey was squeezed out of the combs.

This gives an average of 8litres a box.

Further processing of the honey will continue today.

You remember this report?
Based on this report, several things happened afterwards. I'm returning today 4th October 2020 to continue the diary. Hope you will learn something from the experiences.
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 8:44pm On Oct 04, 2020
saliubello:
Financials

Financial projection below is only my idea from experience

To make at least One million naira (N1,000,000) revenue (excluding expeditures ) from direct honey sales each year, I will require a minimum of 70 units of improved beehives.

This will be attainable ONLY if I Can commit a sum of three hundred and sixty thousand naira (N360,000) being payment for one year salary for security staff to man the farm for an entire year. This was the starting point of the decisions.

Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 8:51pm On Oct 04, 2020
saliubello:
Financials

Financial projection below is only my idea from experience

To make at least One million naira (N1,000,000) revenue (excluding expeditures ) from direct honey sales each year, I will require a minimum of 70 units of improved beehives.

This will be attainable ONLY if I Can commit a sum of three hundred and sixty thousand naira (N360,000) being payment for one year salary for security staff to man the farm for an entire year.

This was the starting point of the decisions that happened afterwards..

I went all out to make many more bee hives. I couldn't make all at once, but in all the hives populated to 110 colonized hives (with bees inside) by December 2019.

It was at this point, I was assured we have been able to solve our problems and was hoping for the best in terms of honey harvest.

In my head, 110 hives should yield 8litres minimum each, 880litres of honey minimum, even at the base line of 1k - 1k5 a liter, I have passed the one million naira revenue mark which I have set for my self.
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 9:00pm On Oct 04, 2020
The security guy didn't start living permanently initially. He would come spend few nights and go and return randomly at his wish. He said he was creating awareness before he resumes fully and that he had some personal stuffs he needed to Carter for before resuming fully. While I was getting worried about this, we had passed October which is usually the time they start disturbing my hives.

Somehow, I was rejoicing that it seems the thieves had relocated from the area, while still mounting pressure on the security to resume fully.

He wouldn't resume fully until the thieves had raided about half of the hives.
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 9:24pm On Oct 04, 2020
One day in early December 2019, I went to inspect the bees with one other assistant. So that we can decide if it was best to harvest honey in december or wait till January 2020, but as I drove close to the farm, I had seen some unusual signs which told me I already had the unwanted visitors around me.

1. Just by the main road leading to the farm, I know I have about 2 - 3 trees just facing the road that had some bees living in the tree crevices/holes. One at the tree bottom, the other at the tree top (trunk), I had seen dry straws, burn fire and long sticks dipped inside the crevices. Meaning someone had tried to harvest honey from them.

2. These trees are spread apart like 80meters apart and the other was about 200m apart from the first two, I had noticed all three had the same or similar straws, burn fires and sticks all around them.

It was these signs that made me remember that like 15minutes earlier while coming, I had met some three fulani youngsters on my way bearing two twenty litre kegs on their head and two Five litre kegs too and I was asking the assistant with me if he recognized them and he told me the location of their farmstead. I told him, those guy are carrying honey oo.

How did I know? I had seen several bees following them and circling the kegs' mouth.
Re: Bee - keeping: My New Found Hobby. My Hop, Step & Jump Experience by saliubello(m): 10:08pm On Oct 04, 2020
As a village boy, my assistant was telling me to be looking for the foot print of the thieves. The spotted footprints were actually mine, from the new shoes I just bought and wore to the farm like 3days prior to that morning. The assistant marked the shoe prints in the soil and covered it with leaves. I wasn't familiar with the sole mark on this new shoe.

Usually, if I will walk around in the farm I will wear gumboots, but on that particular visit it was straight from the city to the farm and no prior preparation was made for farm visitation and so I didn't wear the rubber boot.

We salvaged what was left, fixed all the setups that were dismantled.

I wouldn't realise what he did to the shoe sole mark found in the apiary until some 8-9 days later while in far away Ile Ife, Osun State for my MSc convocation ceremony when I just discovered I can't just wear my shoes for 10 minutes straight, it's hot, discomforting with burning sensations all over in the shoes. Same shoe I had worn to the farm, and the sole marks were found near the apiary after the theft.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Simple Truth On How To Farm Watermelon Successfully / Anambra To Begin Export Of Rice Soon – Gov. Obiano / Quick Steps To Grow Yams In Sacks For Harvest Within 6-8 Months

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.