Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,712 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:33 PM

My Firm Owing Me Are Threatening To Arrest My Guarantors - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Firm Owing Me Are Threatening To Arrest My Guarantors (14606 Views)

Company Worker Arrested For Threatening To Kill Promoted Colleague, Children / ICAN Delists 14,337 Members For Owing Association Dues For More Than 3 Years / All Yourba Staff Was Fired In My Firm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Firm Owing Me Are Threatening To Arrest My Guarantors by Goodlooks: 12:56pm On Jun 21, 2018
First, they have no business with your guarantor, Your guarantor can only be arrested in the event that you cannot be found. You can be arrested for stealing , ( my not so lawyerly opinion) clear out your account, when u get to the police station, tell the officers you were robbed off your money, you can only pay their money if they pay your salary. Go to the station with a lawyer and a reliable surety so you won't be detend more than necessary. All the best to you.
Re: My Firm Owing Me Are Threatening To Arrest My Guarantors by eseflive234: 1:10pm On Jun 21, 2018
Justnora:

My advice to must people is when you don't receive salary up to two months just leave cause from two months it gets to 5years.

In Nigeria you see a CEO owing salary but is contesting for a position or better still builds himself a house and has not yet settled his workers it happens to teachers in some states and if that teacher goes to steal now no one will blame the governor but the theif might be beaten to death.

Op just think about the guarantors and not just yourself you are going to lose hella trust from people.

Nice......Sorry am disturbing, but I haven't heard or seen any reply from you angry angry
Re: My Firm Owing Me Are Threatening To Arrest My Guarantors by chccho(m): 1:45pm On Jun 21, 2018
Go and file a petition at the office of the public defender (OPD) or National Human Rights Commission (NHRC).

Thats the fastest and the most suitable means to handle such industrial disputes.
Re: My Firm Owing Me Are Threatening To Arrest My Guarantors by Adesolomon2014(m): 2:07pm On Jun 21, 2018
01Alpha:
By holding the companys money its a criminal offence, only a police report could salvage the situation now.

The police might probably turn the table around him unless he has money to spend for them...They will rather fight for their pocket(which the firm can provide) than human.
Re: My Firm Owing Me Are Threatening To Arrest My Guarantors by Funkybabee(f): 3:12pm On Jun 21, 2018
First go and report yourself in police station before they do and leave them if they go after ur guarantors administrative bail will do that,stand bro no shaking so wicked being full Nigerian

1 Like

Re: My Firm Owing Me Are Threatening To Arrest My Guarantors by Nobody: 5:33pm On Jun 21, 2018
eseflive234:

Nice......Sorry am disturbing, but I haven't heard or seen any reply from you angry angry

Ok
Re: My Firm Owing Me Are Threatening To Arrest My Guarantors by greenmonk: 6:15pm On Jun 21, 2018
owomida1:

You made marginal sense. Not every crime is listed under the constitution. What about moral rights? His expenses which clearly needs to cater for but is being deprived? I swear nothing will happen to the OP. As long as all the money obtained is documented and well detailed, the company should strike a deal with him. If u owe me 2 months salary, I will lift items from the office directly. Let them accuse me of theft. What happened to employee rights in this country self? how would u say it's not a crime. If they want who will work without pay, let them employ their family members.
Op should itemise all monies wth him as running expense and still demand for his salary. Let the company be the ones to tell him that he is not entittled to the expenses allowance there and then he should ask them to deduct it from his salary and pay him the balance. Where on earth can somebody owing another ask to be paid first when their own debt is higher.

1 Like

Re: My Firm Owing Me Are Threatening To Arrest My Guarantors by Ayo25: 7:15pm On Jun 21, 2018
Thank you to everyone who have express their opinion either in support or against my action.
One area I have developed myself over the years is in being dilligent in whatever I do and I try as much as possible to justify whatever reward I demand from anybody with my works. A labourer is entitled to his wages. My employers cannot bring a report against me that I am lazy. Like I said before I used to go out of my way to make productions for my firm. If I am not hardworking there is no way i would be indebted to them that much. It baffles me, how in this country an employee would go five to six months without pay and your employee is jealous, he does not want you to have other jobs. What exactly should the employee be feeding on during the months of no salary? stone I guess. People saying I could have resigned, could not the employer too have sacked me? Why keep using people to get your job going without any plan in place to pay them?
Like I have said before the firm is notorious for cheating their employees. People work for nine months without pay, they eventually pay four out of five and tell you brazenly to forget the remaining five or head to court. Is that not cruel and dehumanising.
I am only still talking of salaries being owed me. There are outstanding allowances yet to be paid for over a year. Also pension deductions have not been remitted into my pension account for over a year.
Sad that we learnt that our problem starts from board level where top management staffs have been diverting what is due to us to themselves. So it is a situation of monkey dey work baboon dey chop.
I refuse to be enslaved by anybody or firm in this 21st century oo, lai lai

1 Like

Re: My Firm Owing Me Are Threatening To Arrest My Guarantors by obstead200(m): 8:47pm On Jun 21, 2018
Justnora:
Well I stopped at you no longer remitting money back that is an offense even if you are not paid you have to leave the job than stealing. Now your actions is going to affect innocent lives this is Nigeria where you know once you have money you can win any court case even murder.

So my dear kindly refund the little you have apologize and quit tho its painful but it is going to save you a lot of stress
my dear, it seems u are the kind of employer that owe her staff this callous way. Ur advice is very wrong.
OP, I am not a lawyer but I have this to say. First of all, u are wrong to withhold their money, u can be arrested for that. But u have already done it so hold on to it but keep it intact. Secondly, ensure u have a written and binding employment contract. Get a lawyer sue them to court for non payment of ur salary. Do it quickly before they make any move, and while at it, get a court injunction preventing them from arresting ur guarantors pending when they appear in court and resolve the issue of ur salary.
This will incapacitate them and they will settle with u quickly.
U shud however remember that u used their equipment to work for them, they can charge u a very high amount as equipment hiring cost and ask that u pay for it since u are holding on to their money as yours. My brother, they Wilt actually be on the right in that regard
Re: My Firm Owing Me Are Threatening To Arrest My Guarantors by obstead200(m): 8:52pm On Jun 21, 2018
Goodlooks:
First, they have no business with your guarantor, Your guarantor can only be arrested in the event that you cannot be found. You can be arrested for stealing , ( my not so lawyerly opinion) clear out your account, when u get to the police station, tell the officers you were robbed off your money, you can only pay their money if they pay your salary. Go to the station with a lawyer and a reliable surety so you won't be detend more than necessary. All the best to you.
this advise is better than mine. OP listen to this
Re: My Firm Owing Me Are Threatening To Arrest My Guarantors by obstead200(m): 8:56pm On Jun 21, 2018
Mpanyi:
I believe you should pay them their money as you probably didn't sign anywhere you were to withhold contributions. Pay them and sue them for all they are worth. Make sure you have all the necessary evidence/exhibits. My own opinion even though I'm not a lawyer.
u must be a bad employer to say this. It is very wrong to owe pple who work for u to make money. Except u were not paid by your customer, else pay ur employees first!!!!!
Re: My Firm Owing Me Are Threatening To Arrest My Guarantors by owomida1: 9:27pm On Jun 21, 2018
greenmonk:

Op should itemise all monies wth him as running expense and still demand for his salary. Let the company be the ones to tell him that he is not entittled to the expenses allowance there and then he should ask them to deduct it from his salary and pay him the balance. Where on earth can somebody owing another ask to be paid first when their own debt is higher.

I agree boss
Re: My Firm Owing Me Are Threatening To Arrest My Guarantors by Olumeme: 11:49pm On Jun 21, 2018
My brother you will go places, you will be successful, may your days be long.
I swear, they can't do anything, if they do they will end up embarrassed and ashamed.

They cannot do anything, tell them to sue you to court, in fact, they cannot arrest them, all those things are only threats.

Something like that has happened to a friend of mine in Abuja, he was sent on an errand, and he withheld the money and left without looking back, he was owed 5months, he only told them to balance up that he's not interested in the job anymore.
The only difference is that there was no guarantor, he even threatened the boss to expose him on Facebook which will affect his name and the company.

Hold and stand your ground, you can write the boss a letter and give deadline.

2 Likes

Re: My Firm Owing Me Are Threatening To Arrest My Guarantors by Nobody: 5:26am On Jun 22, 2018
obstead200:
my dear, it seems u are the kind of employer that owe her staff this callous way. Ur advice is very wrong.
OP, I am not a lawyer but I have this to say. First of all, u are wrong to withhold their money, u can be arrested for that. But u have already done it so hold on to it but keep it intact. Secondly, ensure u have a written and binding employment contract. Get a lawyer sue them to court for non payment of ur salary. Do it quickly before they make any move, and while at it, get a court injunction preventing them from arresting ur guarantors pending when they appear in court and resolve the issue of ur salary.
This will incapacitate them and they will settle with u quickly.
U shud however remember that u used their equipment to work for them, they can charge u a very high amount as equipment hiring cost and ask that u pay for it since u are holding on to their money as yours. My brother, they Wilt actually be on the right in that regard

What I said and what you just said what is the difference please?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

It's International Nurses' Week- What Do You Have To Say About Nurses? / Injustice At Workplace; Should I Resign Or Hang On? / Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.