Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,075 members, 7,957,007 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 03:41 AM

First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. (41009 Views)

Uniben Final Year Graduating Student Spray Money After Final Year Semester Exam / Timi Adelakun Breaks South Broward School's Records With A Record-Setting GPA / PLS Help, I Had A GPA Of 3.82 In 100 Level (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. by deedondavi(m): 11:53pm On Jun 24, 2018
ENGINEERING COURSES WILL GET TOUGHER AS YOU PROGRESS..
Re: First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. by ibolomo(m): 11:55pm On Jun 24, 2018
Amakababe:
My name is Amaka afuzor, and i am a student of Federal university of technology minna. Mechanical engineering. 100 level

Before you accuse me of being dull, I had a 204 in JAMB.
I always wanted a first class, but
I decided to check my result yesterday only to see F parallel and some good grades out of 10 courses.
Pls am 22 and I need to pass so I can get a good job after graduation.
I know I didn't give my books much attention this semester.

I am confused because I will be asked to withdraw if I get a cgpa less than 2.0 on a scale of 5 after second semester and don't meet the 10-8-8 requirement which I am very far from.

CAN I GRADUATE WITH A FIRST CLASS STILL?
Tell me the honest truth, I can handle it.

Pls who knows how many percentage of final cgpa the first year performance takes In futminna

aunty, have you heard of 10-8-8 before?
the fact that you had an F in 10 courses already means you can't stay in faculty of Engineering.
the fight you have to fight for this semester, is to not weigh in below a CGPA of 2.0.
As and Bs parallel should get you there.

Just focus this semester, buy all the handouts you need from Post-Office and study them even before tests and exams come knocking and you should be fine.
if I may ask, what lodge do you stay in off-campus?
If it's one of the partying lodges and weed smoking lodges, you might have to pick somewhere else to go to at least read your books for a few hours everyday. Going inside school every evening with a company of your intelligent female friends could be a good idea.
Lastly, I believe you are a Christian, find a good fellowship and join, like FCS, NIFES, RCF (off-campus). the major reason is that most of them (FCS, I'm sure of) conduct night classes that will help explain things the lecturer may not cover, and also to pray concerning your results.
in the end, it's about Praying and reading! God will help you.
Re: First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. by salford1: 11:55pm On Jun 24, 2018
DanXplore:

Op, others will not tell you the truth but I will.

Your brain is full of fufu.

I would have suggested farming but you might kill all the crops
I won't say she is not smart. 1st year in uni is just somehow. It's your make or break year. I know smart straight A's student from good secondary school that fall off in first year of uni due to several circumstances.
Re: First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. by elvido(m): 11:59pm On Jun 24, 2018
my take on ur post is that it is possible! But you have a lot of work to do, such as sitting ur ass down to study( organise n diligent one), training ur mind for success, great zeal to excel, counselling, etcetera.

But nowadays, School does not provide sufficiently what we need, like you said u want a Job(money) at the end. Honey..The school‘s certificate cant for sure guarantee that for u..

kindly start building on something(bussiness, trade..) else that gives u joy or learn several skills..as u journey through ur university level

lastly, weigh the options if u cant continue change department or start afresh. Aim at first class, 4.5 - 5.0, it will be hard..my sister. Thank you
Re: First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. by almangid(m): 12:06am On Jun 25, 2018
Dude I had a g p that was close to that...but right now I'm in 400l witch a cgpa of 2.6 so it's just takes a little effort
A semesterial g.p of 3.5 is enough to cut you some slack for this year then you can work it up from there and mind you forget about continuing in that department, 10-8-8 has bleeped you up already
Think of where you are going next and work it up from there

1 Like

Re: First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. by nely4me(m): 12:08am On Jun 25, 2018
I have a feeling the OP made this story up
Re: First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. by Boss13: 12:13am On Jun 25, 2018
Jarus:

Nothing is impossible, but all indicators point to you not being a first class material. I hate to say that.

Most first class grads have track record from secondary school. 204/400 in UME is not a first class material's score. Even worse, first class grads don't have "F parallel".

A more realistic graduation target for you is 2.1 (i.e CGPA of above 3.5/5.0) which is still good enough for the labour market, but the immediate concern should be how to avoid being rusticated. Put out the fire first.

Try and target B minimum in all your courses in the next semester. Read. Read. Read. Get academic high flyer mentors. Meet your seniors that did the courses in the previous year, ask for tricks for passing each of the courses.

When you put out the fire (i.e stabilize), then you can continue your long term target of graduating with a good grade.

Hi Jarus - can you please take out the “Nothing is impossible” from you comment. She has missed the ball and like you advised, she should focus more on achieving a 2:1, which in her situation is still difficult. I graduated with a 2:1 in my first degree and a 1st class in my second degree and I can say that you first year in school is extremely vital. Your first year average GPA must be 4.5 minimum to achieve a first class or even a second class upper because as you progress during your studies, the courses becomes more difficult and may affect your GPA. However, if your first and second year results are outstanding you are eligible to belong to such class.

In her situation, it seems difficult. She has lots of carry overs to sort out plus additional courses to do. She may be lucky to graduate with a 2:2. She may achieve a 2:1 if she put in thrice the effort as she is greatly disadvantaged at the moment, but first class - no way! She should forget it.

She must also know that graduating with an outstanding result does not get you an outstanding job or even a job. She must also understand the industry she is interested in working and how to break in and likewise passing interviews.

This OP is even stupid oh - is this what this generation is turning into. On an anonymous site, you gave your first and last name and even the university and course you are studying. You’re certainly not a smart person at all.

1 Like

Re: First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. by dochenaj: 12:15am On Jun 25, 2018
Amakababe:
but someone told me 100 level is just about 10% of whole year. That I need a 4.5 from 200 level to finals to bag first class
Do the maths. Even if first year is just 10% of the whole coursework.
(0.1*x+0.9*4.5)>=4.5.
Find x that will make the right hand side of the equation true, and if your semester GP is less than that, then you can't make it.
Kiddo, there is no need for you to be guessing, you should begin showing that you are up for the challenge. Go gather the full coursework for each year and calculate the units for each course and then you will know if this semester is really 10% of the total.
I won't tell you that first class is out of your reach yet, until it becomes mathematically impossible, but in reality it might have become impossible already.
Re: First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. by Deldevieno(m): 12:15am On Jun 25, 2018
The problem is that we often forget we have a choice. This is one of the master keys to unlocking your greatness in life. Choice is the starting point to everything we do in life. The best attitude you can carry now is CHOICE. Decide that you can make it, and you will. Sometimes people tell you what you can't do because they don't see themselves achieving it. But the magic of the word TRIUMPH is in the first syllable. You've got to TRY.

1 Like

Re: First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. by Ken4Christ: 12:22am On Jun 25, 2018
To be realistic, you may have to change course. The best you might have is a third class. Otherwise, you are either headed for a pass or complete fail. You can however prove me wrong.

First class students have a track records of excellence. UTME scores are usually above 280. O level results have at least A's in three papers. You are certainly not in that class.
Re: First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. by vikstandon(m): 12:22am On Jun 25, 2018
Amakababe:

My dear...brace up and aspire for 2.2. Who told you 2.1 is near.

I had 3.38 1st semester, 2.98 second semester Yr1 (3.18 CGPA)... All my struggle to get first class eluded me even with High GPA's 2nd 3rd 4th Year (4.5 CGPA on average). I just succeeded graduating with 4.02 (2.1).

To be realistic... You can make 2.2 (3.0 CGPA) if you brace up and avoid distraction.

Your concern shouldn't just be to make a good grade and get a white collar job... But to graduate with ur mates with something close to excellent grade and create an empire to employ first class brains.

Change ur mindset today...start thinking of what to do to be self employed, look for the closest automobile industry/workshop and enrol for volunteer job or apprenticeship and learn. Get practical exposure which so many first class graduates lack.

Hands on the job is better than certificate!!!
Re: First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. by Amakababe(f): 12:25am On Jun 25, 2018
dochenaj:

Do the maths. Even if first year is just 10% of the whole coursework.
(0.1*x+0.9*4.5)>=4.5.
Find x that will make the right hand side of the equation true, and if your semester GP is less than that, then you can't make it.
Kiddo, there is no need for you to be guessing, you should begin showing that you are up for the challenge. Go gather the full coursework for each year and calculate the units for each course and then you will know if this semester is really 10% of the total.
I won't tell you that first class is out of your reach yet, until it becomes mathematically impossible, but in reality it might have become impossible already.
x is o.45
Re: First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. by Godwin616: 12:29am On Jun 25, 2018
To be honest with you am not sure you can meet up even with 2:1. Go and start afresh, find out if they can accept you in other dept like Estate Mgt. If they do you may consider changing of dept/course but if not then you have to go and sit for another JAMB. This time around you need to be serious. I advise you to move to the hotel on campus to enable you concentrate on your studies and spend less time on your phone and social media.

1 Like

Re: First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. by lordsniel(m): 12:33am On Jun 25, 2018
Amakababe:
am fairly intelligent. I just needed more time for myself to read for my tests and exams. Relationship problems and all that.
Babe mechanical engr. No be beans, am a graduate of mech and as a girl that's extra wahala.Just go in a relationship with your book and marry it so that you can give birth to success.God will help you
Re: First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. by LORDKing001: 12:37am On Jun 25, 2018
In FUT Minna. Whenever you have f in chm111, phy113,
Mat111

And you are in engineering faculty... You are out of the department already. Whether you write 3.5gp and above. That's their ethics. Please don't try to bend things.
Re: First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. by Rexnegro(m): 12:43am On Jun 25, 2018
tensazangetsu20:

Why not consult your student handbook?
or her level coordinator , he or she can help counsel her probably and tell her what exactly she need to get in grades to meet her target.
Re: First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. by dochenaj: 1:05am On Jun 25, 2018
Amakababe:
x is o.45
And your GP for the semester was 0.2, if I read correctly. So you see how you are already shortchanged.
But like I said, it is mathematically possible, but in reality it is impossible.
Re: First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. by Rajosh(m): 1:13am On Jun 25, 2018
first class? I don't think so.
2.1? maybe.
you can apply for change of department and start afresh. Give your books more attention
Re: First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. by InansBobo(m): 1:20am On Jun 25, 2018
demobaba1:

This is one of the reasons why u did not do well in ur first semester bro. Move to the Campus hostel (if there s anyone in ur school), tell ur self d honest truth to change ur ways and spend more time with academics. As for making a First Class in Mechanical Engineering, it is not possible. Good luck.
I stay off campus, missed some lectures (studied them myself) because going for lectures is waste since I'd stay at the back and won't hear the lecturer - because the whole engineering are together for year 1 and I can't leave my house by 6am for 9am lecture because going by 7:30am you would sit at the back still. and I made a strong 2.1 in the same Engineering, same school _ I never d friends though except my lodge mates. I even know some off campus guys with 4.7+
Re: First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. by Amakababe(f): 1:24am On Jun 25, 2018
InansBobo:
I stay off campus, missed some lectures (studied them myself) because going for lectures is waste since I'd stay at the back and won't hear the lecturer - because the whole engineering are together for year 1 and I can't leave my house by 6am for 9am lecture because going by 7:30am you would sit at the back still. and I made a strong 2.1 in the same Engineering, same school _ I never d friends though except my lodge mates. I even know some off campus guys with 4.7+
how does 10 8 8 work pls. I had only one f in mat121but e in mat111 and phy113 does that mean im gone from engineering?
Pls exolain this stuff to me

Cc lordking001 also
Re: First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. by Staru1(m): 1:33am On Jun 25, 2018
Amakababe:
My name is Amaka afuzor, and i am a student of Federal university of technology minna. Mechanical engineering. 100 level

I decided to check my result yesterday only to see F parallel and some good grades out of 10 courses.

I am confused because I will be asked to withdraw if I get a cgpa less than 2.0 on a scale of 5 after second semester and don't meet the 10-8-8 requirement which I am very far from.

NO , It's not possible Darling.

Work towards 2.1, during ur SIWE, ensure u score ''A" to boost ur cgpa.
say no to "F"
Pls who knows how many percentage of final cgpa the first year performance takes In futminna

Yes, you can have very high cgpa but based on ur knowledge background.
Again, depends on the option you're going, for those elective course.
Re: First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. by InansBobo(m): 1:48am On Jun 25, 2018
Amakababe:
how does 10 8 8 work pls. I had only one f in mat121but e in mat111 and phy113 does that mean im gone from engineering?
Pls exolain this stuff to me

Cc lordking001 also

you know the three MATs (111, 112, 121) are 3 Credit Units =9 plus the two STA of 2credit units =4
4+9=13
so out of this 13 you must make 10. ie if you are having an F it must be just 1 of the three 3credit unit (either 111, 112, 121). If u have 2 Fs, you are affected already.

same applies for the PHY (113, 100, 123, 126)=10credit units, u must make 8 ie u can fail only one which is 2 unit(either 100, or 123)

and for CHM(111, 112, 191, 121) = 10 credit units. if u must fail any one it should only be one of the 2unit - either 112 or 191)

So... if u failed MAT111, you must not fail MAT112 and MAT121, STA117 and STA127 (if u failed any two from the MAT/STA category, you are affected.

same applies to the CHM and PHY
Re: First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. by Amakababe(f): 1:51am On Jun 25, 2018
InansBobo:

you know the three MATs (111, 112, 121) are 3 Credit Units =9 plus the two STA of 2credit units =4
4+9=13
so out of this 13 you must make 10. ie if you are having an F it must be just 1 of the three 3credit unit (either 111, 112, 121). If u have 2 Fs, you are affected already.

same applies for the PHY (113, 100, 123, 126)=10credit units, u must make 8 ie u can fail only one which is 2 unit(either 100, or 123)

and for CHM(111, 112, 191, 121) = 10 credit units. if u must fail any one it should only be one of the 2unit - either 112 or 191)

So... if u failed MAT111, you must not fail MAT112 and MAT121, STA117 and STA127 (if u failed any two from the MAT/STA category, you are affected.

same applies to the CHM and PHY
this is just wicked!
I guess im out of engineering then angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. by DrayZee: 1:55am On Jun 25, 2018
Amakababe:
this is just wicked!
You're joking right?
Re: First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. by InansBobo(m): 1:55am On Jun 25, 2018
Amakababe:
this is just wicked!
ouch! sorry about that, it's not the end. there's always a way out for anyone that fails to give up. Try all you can and make your CGPA to be above 1.0 at the end of second semester so you are not sent home. Maybe after getting to a new department, you can still settle to rewrite JAMB if you still want Mech.Eng, so far you don't give up on your dreams you can still make it
Re: First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. by Amakababe(f): 2:12am On Jun 25, 2018
DrayZee:

You're joking right?
no. I actually thought i still had an opportunity to beat 10 8 8 in second semester but iwas wrong.
Re: First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. by Amakababe(f): 2:18am On Jun 25, 2018
InansBobo:
ouch! sorry about that, it's not the end. there's always a way out for anyone that fails to give up. Try all you can and make your CGPA to be above 1.0 at the end of second semester so you are not sent home. Maybe after getting to a new department, you can still settle to rewrite JAMB if you still want Mech.Eng, so far you don't give up on your dreams you can still make it
sorry for disturbing. What if i get a in all mat phy and chem courses this 2nd semester. Am i still gone?
Re: First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. by DrayZee: 2:19am On Jun 25, 2018
Amakababe:
no. I actually thought i still had an opportunity to beat 10 8 8 in second semester but iwas wrong.
It's between starting over more seriously, or just switching to a new department all together. All the same, you'd still have to be serious.

When you picked Mechanical engineering, did you have a clear vision or career path in your mind? Or simply, why did you want to do Mechanical engineering? This question is really important. I'd appreciate if you could tell me your answer.
Re: First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. by Obas101(m): 2:32am On Jun 25, 2018
Amakababe:

If I know futminna well, you are either going to be rusticated from the school or pulled out of engineering. You don't go to school to get a first class, you go to school to learn. That's your first mistake there all the best
Re: First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. by Obas101(m): 2:39am On Jun 25, 2018
Amakababe:
am fairly intelligent. I just needed more time for myself to read for my tests and exams. Relationship problems and all that.
stop giving excuses and admit to your faults. If you can't realize mistakes, you will still follow the same path. Wish I know you in person to give you life lessons. There is more to school by the way, just focus on what you can really do for yourself rather than what ppl can do for you. That's the job issh after school
Re: First Year Semester GPA Of 0.2, I Need A First Class. Am on Verge Of Giving Up. by calcal: 3:32am On Jun 25, 2018
You better drop out right now than wasting your time, you can as well become a good mechanic within that period which will lead to achieving your goal. remember the goal is to make money at the end of the day.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

ASUU Strike: Resolution Of ASUU Branches On Fg’s Offer / Umaru Shehu, Biography Of First Professor Emeritus In Northern Nigeria (photos) / WAEC Announces Date For 2021 WASSCE Examination

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.