Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,607 members, 7,827,291 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:09 AM

Whats The Differnce Between A Father And A Dad. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Whats The Differnce Between A Father And A Dad. (1521 Views)

IS it right for a dad to bath his 15years old daughter? / PHOTOS: See What A Dad Did To A Teenager He Caught Molesting His Little Boy. / Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whats The Differnce Between A Father And A Dad. by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jun 05, 2010
You can correct me if i'm wrong but me thinks both words have different meanings.
Re: Whats The Differnce Between A Father And A Dad. by tayoast(m): 4:36pm On Jun 05, 2010

fa·ther [fər]
noun (plural fa·thers)
1.  man who is parent: a man who is the parent of a human being, or a male animal that has produced offspring

2.  man acting as parent: a man who brings up and looks after a child as if he were its father

3.  man who is ancestor: a man who is an ancestor, especially the founder of a family or people
the land of our fathers and mothers

4.  man who is founder: a man who establishes, founds, or originates something
the father of modern linguistics

5.  man who is leader: a man who is a community or civic leader
the town fathers

[ Old English fæder < Indo-European]
Microsoft® Encarta® 2009. © 1993-2008 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Re: Whats The Differnce Between A Father And A Dad. by tayoast(m): 4:39pm On Jun 05, 2010
dad
(plural dads)

noun
father: a person's father (informal) (often used as a form of address)

[Mid-16th century. Origin ?]

Microsoft® Encarta® 2009. © 1993-2008 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.]
Re: Whats The Differnce Between A Father And A Dad. by Sissy3(f): 9:46pm On Jun 05, 2010
OP

mother, mom, mama, father, dad, papa all na the different names for the same thing as far as i know. no difference

except in cases where "father" isnt the original birth father of the person like how catholics call their pastors "fathers" so in this case its kinda different
Re: Whats The Differnce Between A Father And A Dad. by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jun 05, 2010
1, A father is the man who implanted his spermatozoa into a woman. Without him, the eggs would not have been able to be fertilized.

2, A dad is a man who upholds all the responsibility of having a child. From bringing up the child to caring, supporting, defending, providing etc for the child and the mother.

@~sissy~

I beg to differ. No, they're not the same thing.
Re: Whats The Differnce Between A Father And A Dad. by Sissy3(f): 9:55pm On Jun 05, 2010
but both dad and father can be used interchangeably in many cases. only in few instances do people differentiate the two, like in the ex i gave about the catholic "fathers"
Re: Whats The Differnce Between A Father And A Dad. by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jun 05, 2010
~Sissy~:

but both dad and father can be used interchangeably in many cases. only in few instances do people differentiate the two, like in the ex i gave about the catholic "fathers"
Your example couldnt have helped my explanation more. . . its perfect.
If you ask somebody "who is that?", most response you'll get is "that's my father". . . . You'll not get "that's my dad" from a child that is not close with their father. Father because you share a biological link, not necessarily a close connection.

Dad is more close and personal. . . . more emotional. . . .

Catholic fathers are more special, in their case, father is used as a respectful move. And I'm sure there's a deeper reason for that.
Re: Whats The Differnce Between A Father And A Dad. by Sissy3(f): 10:10pm On Jun 05, 2010
they use 'father' in terms of spiritual fathers, like how real birth fathers are suppose to play a good roles in their their kids/family lives so they provide such roles in a spiritual way.
Re: Whats The Differnce Between A Father And A Dad. by Nobody: 10:14pm On Jun 05, 2010
lol true. . . . but the ones that actually do play those roles are called "dad"
Re: Whats The Differnce Between A Father And A Dad. by Sissy3(f): 10:20pm On Jun 05, 2010
they are also called fathers/papa tongue

IMO, dad and father as synonymous word. the use of each just depends on the formality/informality of the conversation/place

would you say papa/pop relates more to father or dad?

but youre right though, for some people you do have to special for them to call you a dad.  or father sef. d'fferent strokes i guess
Re: Whats The Differnce Between A Father And A Dad. by bigfather(m): 11:31pm On Jun 05, 2010
Father is a general thing while Dad is a personal thing.
Re: Whats The Differnce Between A Father And A Dad. by honeric01(m): 1:13am On Jun 06, 2010
They mean the same thing in the general world.

Rich kids like to call their papa "dad"

Not so rich kids prefer "father"

Poor kids prefer the grassroots names like papa, popsi, daddy, baba, era, papi e.t.c

All na the same!
Re: Whats The Differnce Between A Father And A Dad. by Sissy3(f): 1:23am On Jun 06, 2010
true. i see no difference in both words when the words father and dad are used in regards to the natural sperm donor (for lack of better word)

people introduce their father as dad or father/papa/pop/old man etc
Re: Whats The Differnce Between A Father And A Dad. by Nobody: 1:29am On Jun 06, 2010
big father:

Father is a general thing while Dad is a personal thing.
Exactly what I thought.

~Sissy~:

they are also called fathers/papa tongue

IMO, dad and father as synonymous word. the use of each just depends on the formality/informality of the conversation/place

would you say papa/pop relates more to father or dad?

but youre right though, for some people you do have to special for them to call you a dad.  or father sef. d'fferent strokes i guess
I respect you, ma'am. So I respect your opinion. kiss

Pop/Papa relates more to dad. Personal.

Father is more general, just to describe who banged the mother.

honeric01:

Poor kids prefer the grassroots names like papa, popsi, daddy, baba, era, papi e.t.c

All na the same!
Well, I want you to know that I always say "dad" sha grin
Re: Whats The Differnce Between A Father And A Dad. by Sissy3(f): 2:07am On Jun 06, 2010
LMAFOO @ "Father is more general, just to describe who banged the mother"

Ebony you no well grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Whats The Differnce Between A Father And A Dad. by cantell(m): 2:16am On Jun 06, 2010
honeric01:

All na the same!
So true!
Re: Whats The Differnce Between A Father And A Dad. by invisible2(m): 11:53am On Jun 06, 2010
The two are the same, except to lazy people who have too much time to read meanings into very simple language.
Re: Whats The Differnce Between A Father And A Dad. by Nobody: 3:09pm On Jun 06, 2010
tHANKS YOU'ALL, IT'S A RAP. tongue

(1) (Reply)

Some Parents Are Heartless, How Can You Do This To Your Own Flesh And Blood? / Staying Together Only For The Children. / Ladies, These Are What You Should Know Before You Accept To Date A Married Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.