Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,521 members, 7,819,870 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:25 AM

Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa (38128 Views)

Nigeria's Largest Built-up Urban Areas In 2021 - Demographia / Lagos And Onitsha Are Most Urbanized Areas In Nigeria - Demographia 2020 Report / 2019 Largest Built-Up Urban Area: Lagos, Onitsha Ranked 1st, 2nd In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by TundeBricklayer: 6:45am On Jun 26, 2018
vowsng:

You didnt really have to use that word at the bolded.
Btw, i'm not from Edo state, i am your brother if you accept.

All what you listed up there i don't refute but saying it serves as the lagos of south east or/ south south is pure exaggeration.

Some part of lagos has got a serene/peaceful environment, some part business area, some part home for hospitality but you can't say such for anambra, you cant name an area in anambra that is good for hospitality better than enugu, you cant also name an area more commercial than Aba, you can't also name an area more industrialised like portharcourt, anambra just has all of the afore mentioned in little quantites so can't serve as the lagos of south east/ south south cause lagos has it all and can't be compared in all of the above to any south western state.
Conehead you are ignorant, please open this link from NBS, Anambra humbled all the States in Southwest except no mans land,
https://www.nairaland.com/3087723/nbs-report-bank-credit-deposit-states

on other rubbish you wrote up there, I can see you're dumb
Lagos
Rivers
Anambra
are top three of states that control 90% cash transactions in Nigeria says CBN

3 Likes

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by Yyeske(m): 7:03am On Jun 26, 2018
Jaideyone:
lol see the yyeske that is wildly known for his ignorance calling someone else ignorant grin

Ibadan is 3000sqkm

Onitsha is 52sqkm

I can completely bring out 50 Onitsha from Ibadan.

so what's the big deal is Onitsha is build up with that small land mass? grin

cc tundebricklayer
the post above is addressing your ignorance too.

see attached picture. use Google and prove me wrong grin
What you don't know, you don't know.
Stats of Onitsha has always been restricted to Onitsha north and South LGAs while more than 80% of the city is never added in its population or landmass. It's like restricting stats for Lagos to only the old Lagos FCT, meaning places like VI, Lekki, Mushin, Ikeja, Agege, Oshodi, Iyana Ipaja, Festac, Ojo etc are not added but only Lagos Island, Ikoyi, Surulere, Yaba, Oyingbo, Iddo etc is used for Lagos.
Travel and see, you won't.
Moreover, that landmass for Ibadan you provided was for Ibadanland and not the built up area of the real city of Ibadan. If Ibadan is about 3,000 square kilometers as you posited, that means it is more than or almost same as the whole of Lagos state which is about 3,500 square kilometers.
Using your Google Map or Google Earth to compare can cure your ignorance sef.

8 Likes

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by Nobody: 7:04am On Jun 26, 2018
TundeBricklayer:

Conehead you are ignorant, please open this link from NBS, Anambra humbled all the States in Southwest except no mans land, on other rubbish you wrote, I can see you're dumb
Lagos
Rivers
Anambra

Mehn, you really didn't get my points.

Nwanne were ya nwayoo oh, ime refue nwanne gi nye ndi ofe mmanu.

1 Like

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by TundeBricklayer: 7:08am On Jun 26, 2018
vowsng:

You are ignorant, open this link and cure yourself, tell me the biggest economy in southeast

1 Like

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by Yyeske(m): 7:09am On Jun 26, 2018
TundeBricklayer:

Largely filled with slums, that's a town I know very well, I did my NYSC in Oyo state, Onitsha metro doesn't end in Onitsha north and south, Onitsha has expanded to four more LGs, Onitsha is smallest among five LGs that make-up Onitsha metro. Go to the table of the demogaphia and check out areas that was built up by descent buildings and checkout Ibadan that have descent buildings not slums.
That person you quoted doesn't even understand what he wrote, he still believes, just like others that Ibadan is still the largest city in Africa.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by Naruto87(m): 8:05am On Jun 26, 2018
ariesbull:

Built up Area is the carpet area plus the thickness of outer walls and the balcony. Super Built Up Area is thebuilt up area plus proportionate areaof common areas such as the lobby, lifts shaft, stairs, etc.

A built-up area is an area such as a town or city which has a lot of buildings in it

Built-Up Area or Plinth Area - Total covered area of the apartment or commercial property unit. It can be calculated by adding areas of utility ducts within property unit, internal and external walls to the carpet are. As a rule of thumb, built up area can be calculated by adding 10% loading factor on carpet area.

BUILT-UP AREA / PLINTH AREA:

The total building area in plot area is referred as Built up area. In simple, Area excluding empty space around the building is called Built up area or Plinth area.

Built up Area = Carpet area+ Thickness of All walls + balcon

So I think you are the illiterate...the term is even self explanatory...areas that has high rise or multi storey building...do you have a challenge with comprehension?
hmmm...one major problem with people is that we listen just to respond and not understand. firstly where did I explain the term "built up area"? what I simple said is that it doesn't mean that area is developed.
so try to acquire wisdom its clear that you lack it on a fundamental level.
Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by ariesbull: 8:27am On Jun 26, 2018
Naruto87:

hmmm...one major problem with people is that we listen just to respond and not understand. firstly where did I explain the term "built up area"? what I simple said is that it doesn't mean that area is developed.
so try to acquire wisdom its clear that you lack it on a fundamental level.

I have given up on our education....if you can't comprehend this in a simple English

I give up

You win

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by Jaideyone(m): 8:29am On Jun 26, 2018
Yyeske:
Stats of Onitsha has always been restricted to Onitsha north and South LGAs while more than 80% of the city is never added in its population or landmass. It's like restricting stats for Lagos to only the old Lagos FCT, meaning places like VI, Lekki, Mushin, Ikeja, Agege, Oshodi, Iyana Ipaja, Festac, Ojo etc are not added but only Lagos Island, Ikoyi, Surulere, Yaba, Oyingbo, Iddo etc is used for Lagos.
Moreover, that landmass for Ibadan you provided was for Ibadanland and not the built up area of the real city of Ibadan. If Ibadan is about 3,000 square kilometers as you posited, that means it is more than or almost same as the whole of Lagos state which is about 3,500 square kilometers.
you see your ignorance? you foolishly believe Lagos city=Lagos state
that's why you included the mushin, Ikeja, agege, etc which are cities on their own within Lagos!!!

the Lagos in the write up is the Lagos under the kingship of oba akiolu which includes marina, isale eko, balogun, idumagbo, obalende and areas around them. the Lagos in the write up doesn't even include all those areas you listed. it doesn't include VI-epe axis and it doesn't include Yaba-oyingbo/costain axis which is still part of the Lagos mainland!!! you've once again managed to expose your ignorance grin
the most build up in the write up means cities with little or no space left for virgin land developments grin

Mr Tundebricklayer you should read the above too

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by TundeBricklayer: 9:04am On Jun 26, 2018
Jaideyone:
that's why you included the mushin, Ikeja, agege, etc which are cities on their own within Lagos!!!

the Lagos in the write up is the Lagos under the kingship of oba akiolu which includes marina, isale eko, balogun, idumagbo, obalende and areas around them. the Lagos in the write up doesn't even include all those areas you listed. it doesn't include VI-epe axis and it doesn't include Yaba-oyingbo/costain axis which is still part of the Lagos mainland!!! you've once again managed to expose your ignorance grin
the most build up in the write up means cities with little or no space left for virgin land developments grin

My friend Ibadan is slum city 94% covered by slums- UN habitat

4 Likes

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by Naruto87(m): 9:23am On Jun 26, 2018
ariesbull:

I have given up on our education....if you can't comprehend this in a simple English

I give up

You win
pride
Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by TundeBricklayer: 9:28am On Jun 26, 2018
Jaideyone:

Read demography of Lagos

DEMOGRAPHY OF LAGOS
Lagos has a very diverse population due to heavy migration from other parts of Nigeria and surrounding countries. The originators, Yoruba are the dominant ethnic group. There are more than 250 ethnic groups represented in Lagos, which includes the major ethnic groups of Africa like the Hausa, Igbo, and Fulani. Small minorities of American, British, East Indian, Chinese, white Zimbabwean, Greek, Syrian, Lebanese and Japanese are also present in the city.
In the mid of the 19th Century, a large number of ex- slaves of Afro-Brazilian and Afro-Cuban descent and emigrants from Sierra Leone created communities in Lagos, along with ex-slaves from the Americas. They became missionaries and merchants in the city.

The city faces a major issue of inequality in the distribution of wealth and income.While there are many millionaires in Lagos, about 66% of the population lives in slums. In fact, the city has been dubbed the “mega-city of slums,” with millions living in and around the lagoons with no access to roads, clean water, electricity or waste disposal.
POPULATION GROWTH AND POPULATION DENSITY IN LAGOS
The population of Lagos was 1.4 million in 1970, which saw a tremendous rate of increase reaching a 21 million scale. The city is home to a huge number of millionaires and at the same time generates 25% of the Nigeria’s Total gross domestic product. It is also the 8th fastest growing city in Africa.
Lagos’s population is growing at a very fast rate and with this pace it will have a population of 300 million in the coming 25 years. With the population doubling over the last 15 years, living standards across Nigeria remain poor. Today, 25% of Africans are Nigerian.
By 2050, Lagos’ population is expected to double, which will make it the 3rd largest city in the world but with less infrastructure than any other large cities of the world.
Lagos has a population Density of 13,000 per square miles.

FACTS ABOUT LAGOS
1. Lagos have south-easterners representing them in the House of Assembly.

2. Renting a house in Lagos is really very expensive and the most expensive in the entire West Africa.

3. Of all the 36 Nigerian states, Lagos state is the smallest and at the same time the most Populous State in Nigeria.

4. The country accommodates 1200 new people daily.

5. It has the Highest Number of Millionaires and at the same time highest number of slums in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by TundeBricklayer: 11:06am On Jun 26, 2018
totit:

Shm
Who buy into your usual lies, anymore,frank grin
You were comparing ibadan of 1950s to onitsha of today cheesy

Only a fool falls for such abeg.

Anyway, let's give it up for ibadan for beating enugu hands down. Shouldn't we cool grin
Stop deceiving yourself, I guess vehicles in the picture are for 1950 grin
Toyota Sienna, Corolla and others

6 Likes

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by Thanks18(m): 11:23am On Jun 26, 2018
vowsng:

lol
Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by Jaideyone(m): 12:07pm On Jun 26, 2018
TundeBricklayer:

Read demography of Lagos

DEMOGRAPHY OF LAGOS
Lagos has a very diverse population due to heavy migration from other parts of Nigeria and surrounding countries. The originators, Yoruba are the dominant ethnic group. There are more than 250 ethnic groups represented in Lagos, which includes the major ethnic groups of Africa like the Hausa, Igbo, and Fulani. Small minorities of American, British, East Indian, Chinese, white Zimbabwean, Greek, Syrian, Lebanese and Japanese are also present in the city.
In the mid of the 19th Century, a large number of ex- slaves of Afro-Brazilian and Afro-Cuban descent and emigrants from Sierra Leone created communities in Lagos, along with ex-slaves from the Americas. They became missionaries and merchants in the city.

The city faces a major issue of inequality in the distribution of wealth and income.While there are many millionaires in Lagos, about 66% of the population lives in slums. In fact, the city has been dubbed the “mega-city of slums,” with millions living in and around the lagoons with no access to roads, clean water, electricity or waste disposal.
POPULATION GROWTH AND POPULATION DENSITY IN LAGOS
The population of Lagos was 1.4 million in 1970, which saw a tremendous rate of increase reaching a 21 million scale. The city is home to a huge number of millionaires and at the same time generates 25% of the Nigeria’s Total gross domestic product. It is also the 8th fastest growing city in Africa.
Lagos’s population is growing at a very fast rate and with this pace it will have a population of 300 million in the coming 25 years. With the population doubling over the last 15 years, living standards across Nigeria remain poor. Today, 25% of Africans are Nigerian.
By 2050, Lagos’ population is expected to double, which will make it the 3rd largest city in the world but with less infrastructure than any other large cities of the world.
Lagos has a population Density of 13,000 per square miles.

FACTS ABOUT LAGOS
1. Lagos have south-easterners representing them in the House of Assembly.

2. Renting a house in Lagos is really very expensive and the most expensive in the entire West Africa.

3. Of all the 36 Nigerian states, Lagos state is the smallest and at the same time the most Populous State in Nigeria.

4. The country accommodates 1200 new people daily.

5. It has the Highest Number of Millionaires and at the same time highest number of slums in Nigeria.
lol crap. you and your fellow ignoramus are still missing the point!!! grin the Lagos in the write up is Lagos island not Lagos state!!! ignoramuses

by the way we all know your cities are the most polluted in the world grin
Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by totit: 3:31pm On Jun 26, 2018
TundeBricklayer:
Stop deceiving yourself, I guess vehicles in the picture are for 1950 grin
Toyota Sienna, Corolla and others

Being a typical troll of yourself and of senseless mentions on this platform is more than enough to assume you can never grow up, mentally, psychologically.
When will you grow up, colins?

By the way that junk you called ibadan pictures is as old as your old age. The level of your misery should have at least whispered to you that ibadan you tried so hard to pull down trashed owerri and enugu village the so call pride of the east. cheesy

cool
Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by totit: 3:34pm On Jun 26, 2018
grin

Two SW states on the top three.
Having found that ibadan is among top 3 says a lot. Being ridiculed by bunch of pigs and ido-ts and defeating enugu the pride of the east and owerri I must say? Well done ibadan.
cheesy
Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by darfay: 4:05pm On Jun 26, 2018
ariesbull:

They said built up

Check what I quoted Ode
Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by Ofemannnu: 10:14pm On Jun 26, 2018
TundeBricklayer:

Conehead you are ignorant, please open this link from NBS, Anambra humbled all the States in Southwest except no mans land,

on other rubbish you wrote up there, I can see you're dumb
Lagos
Rivers
Anambra

lol
Ibadan is more developed and economically viable than that tiny Igboland..

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by Ttipsy(f): 11:10pm On Jun 26, 2018
Ofemannnu:

lol
SE is tiny, so 4ckn what? remove Lagos from SW, you guys, I mean Yorubaland is finished.. truth hurts but take heart!! sit on your brown roof while the place you term "tiny, keep urbanizing...

2 Likes

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by InvertedHammer: 4:09am On Jun 27, 2018
Owerri is a shithole.

Orji to Wethedral rd to the new Owerri...it is a demolition derby. One would think a couple of B2 bombers manned by inebriated pilots went crazy over there.

/
Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by ariesbull: 5:13am On Jun 27, 2018
totit:

Being a typical troll of yourself and of senseless mentions on this platform is more than enough to assume you can never grow up, mentally, psychologically.
When will you grow up, colins?

By the way that junk you called ibadan pictures is as old as your old age. The level of your misery should have at least whispered to you that ibadan you tried so hard to pull down trashed owerri and enugu village the so call pride of the east. cheesy
FG
cool

But there is a sienna car and Corolla cars there of 2000 models ..so I doubt

That Ibadan picture is a recent thing

5 Likes

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by ariesbull: 5:16am On Jun 27, 2018
totit:
grin

Two SW states on the top three.
Having found that ibadan is among top 3 says a lot. Being ridiculed by bunch of pigs and ido-ts and defeating enugu the pride of the east and owerri I must say? Well done ibadan.
cheesy

Are you comparing Ibadan a regional capital with enugu

What is your position as Ibadan as the biggest slum in Africa as posted by habitat report

4 Likes

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by TundeBricklayer: 5:33am On Jun 27, 2018
Ofemannnu:

lol
Fourth largest economy by Wikipedia cheesy grin grin grin grin grin How about CBN and National bureau of statistics cheesy
Anambra is number three position among seven states that control 90% of transactions according to CBN, and Oyo state isn't included tongue

3 Likes

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by TundeBricklayer: 5:40am On Jun 27, 2018
Ofemannnu:

lol
The dead city Ibadan- Isaac Fayose grin cheesy grin

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by mercyville: 6:19am On Jun 27, 2018
TundeBricklayer:

The dead city Ibadan- Isaac Fayose grin cheesy grin
Ibadan is more developed than all your little towns and your five states joined together.
Pictures speak louder than propaganda... grin

2 Likes

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by mercyville: 6:29am On Jun 27, 2018
For the flat he.ad showing 1970+ pictures and 2003 UN habitat view of slum.Cure your ignorance with this info.While you jam-packed only Onitsha which is 52km squared,a very small baby to the more developed Ibadan both infrastructurally or otherwise...Ibadan continues to trounce all your tiny slummy 5 Igbo states...

2 Likes

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by mercyville: 6:38am On Jun 27, 2018
Ibadan

1 Like

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by FlyoruB: 7:09am On Jun 27, 2018
Yyeske:

You are the ignoramus here coz total ibadan landmass has always been reckoned to be almost as large as the entire Lagos landmass, some parts of which aren't fully built up even. Its landmass stands at 3080-square km (which isn't farfetched when you consider Oyo state total landmass is about 29,000-square km). Every available data corroborates that. And that landass still remains the largest of any single city in the entire West Africa. #Fact. Population-wise it has the third most populated metro-area outside Lagos and Kano (as at the 2006 census, ibadan population was reckoned to be third largest [close to 3-million, which was almost the entire population of Enugu state as at 2006] behind Lagos and Kano with kano edging it out by about 200k inhabitants, while Onitsha recorded a meager 261k population figure). Results from a recent Oyo state government property enumeration exercise puts the current estimated population of ibadan at no less than 7-million.

Like an earlier poster stated, it would be shocking if Onitsha wasn't already built-up and densely populated by now considering its very limited landmass (even after adding the surrounding towns sef).

1 Like

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by totit: 9:42am On Jun 27, 2018
ariesbull:

But there is a sienna car and Corolla cars there of 2000 models ..so I doubt

That Ibadan picture is a recent thing

You've done justice to my claim. 2002 is quite a lot of years, you know. I mean, even the OP stats proved that having placed ibadan at number 3 and defeating the likes of almighty enugu and et al.

I'd say shame on enugu and owerri for being defeated by ibadan.
Above you, there, it's the new ibadan by flyB of 2018 and not 2000. I can't lecture you abeg.

Loll
grin
Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by TundeBricklayer: 9:43am On Jun 27, 2018
FlyoruB:

[s] are the ignoramus here coz total ibadan landmass has always been reckoned to be almost as large as the entire Lagos landmass, some parts of which aren't fully built up even. Its landmass stands at 3080-square km (which isn't farfetched when you consider Oyo state total landmass is about 29,000-square km). Every available data corroborates that. And that landass still remains the largest of any single city in the entire West Africa. #Fact. Population-wise it has the third most populated metro-area outside Lagos and Kano (as at the 2006 census, ibadan population was reckoned to be third largest [close to 3-million, which was almost the entire population of Enugu state as at 2006] behind Lagos and Kano with kano edging it out by about 200k inhabitants, while Onitsha recorded a meager 261k population figure). Results from a recent Oyo state government property enumeration exercise puts the current estimated population of ibadan at no less than 7-million. [/s]

Oduavanguard your long essay doesn't change the fact that 94% of Ibadan people are living in slums, stop deceiving yourself, it not about landmass, Lagos is the smallest but bigger economy, Anambra economy is fourth largest after Lagos, Rivers and FCT, Niger state is largest in landmass but Imo state is more economically viable, Oyo is large no doubt, but Anambra trashed Oyo in banks transactions, which CBN said can be use to measure viable states, with Oyo landmass, Anambra host more bank branches than Oyo state, more industries, more markets, more productive in agro sector, oil and gas etc., Ibadan is the only city in Oyo largely covered by slums, this is a state I know it's not about media propaganda, showing two skyscrapers at Dugbe while streets are slums and dirty doesn't make sense, If I start posting pictures of Anambra na you go run.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by totit: 9:46am On Jun 27, 2018
ariesbull:

Are you comparing Ibadan a regional capital with enugu

What is your position as Ibadan as the biggest slum in Africa as posted by habitat report

Refer to the OP as it says, and place Ibadan at number 3 leaving enugu and the likes behind.
Biggest slum in 2003 but today? The number three(leaving enugu behind among others) most urban renewal according to the stats. Did you read the OP at all or you are just being funny?
And no, I am not the OP the stats says that.
grin
Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by TundeBricklayer: 10:03am On Jun 27, 2018
mercyville:
Ibadan
Always UI structuresgrin grin have you see us posting Unizik structures Or UNN because we have enough to offer outside federal structures cheesy

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

10 Interesting Facts About Kwara State / DELSU Student Kills A Man & A Woman With His Car (Disturbing Photos) / Big Birds Of The Sky; Incredible Paintings Of World’s Leading Aircraft

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.