Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,520 members, 7,819,869 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:21 AM

Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa (38127 Views)

Nigeria's Largest Built-up Urban Areas In 2021 - Demographia / Lagos And Onitsha Are Most Urbanized Areas In Nigeria - Demographia 2020 Report / 2019 Largest Built-Up Urban Area: Lagos, Onitsha Ranked 1st, 2nd In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by TundeBricklayer: 10:09am On Jun 27, 2018
mercyville:
Ibadan is more developed than all your little towns and your five states joined together.
Pictures speak louder than propaganda... grin

Even posted 3D pictures
These are real pictures from Awka

4 Likes

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by TundeBricklayer: 10:16am On Jun 27, 2018
mercyville this just Awka not Photoshop

4 Likes

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by FlyoruB: 11:25am On Jun 27, 2018
TundeBricklayer:

Oduavanguard your long essay doesn't change the fact that 94% of Ibadan people are living in slums, stop deceiving yourself, it not about landmass, Lagos is the smallest but bigger economy, Anambra economy is fourth largest after Lagos, Rivers and FCT, Niger state is largest in landmass but Imo state is more economically viable, Oyo is large no doubt, but Anambra trashed Oyo in banks transactions, which CBN said can be use to measure viable states, with Oyo landmass, Anambra host more bank branches than Oyo state, more industries, more markets, more productive in agro sector, oil and gas etc., Ibadan is the only city in Oyo largely covered by slums, this is a state I know it's not about media propaganda, showing two skyscrapers at Dugbe while streets are slums and dirty doesn't make sense, If I start posting pictures of Anambra na you go run.

Gosh. Dude, you need to spend some of that money you earn from sucking Obiano's deek and go enroll at some Adult education school because you can hardly string together coherent sentences. I am way past engaging you considering how mentally challenged you are. undecided

1 Like

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by TundeBricklayer: 12:54pm On Jun 27, 2018
FlyoruB:

Gosh. Dude, you need to spend some of that money you earn from sucking Obiano's deek and go enroll at some Adult education school because you can hardly string together coherent sentences. I am way past engaging you considering how mentally challenged you are. undecided
I know you too well grin grin incoherency becloud your perceives faculty when you’re uncomfortable with facts, you can't muster the courage to tackle facts, rather start throwing insults and exposing your vicious cycle, that's what your people are known for. I'm very familiar with your style boy cheesy grin
Discussion continue!!
Ibadan is 94% slum city, two skyscrapers in middle of slums

4 Likes

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by FlyoruB: 1:09pm On Jun 27, 2018
TundeBricklayer:
I know you too well grin grin incoherency becloud your perceives faculty when you’re uncomfortable with facts, you can't muster the courage to tackle facts, rather start throwing insults and exposing your vicious cycle, that's what your people are known for. I'm very familiar with your style boy cheesy grin
Discussion continue!!
Ibadan is 94% slum city, three skyscrapers in middle of slums

Guy, the joke is on you because you are the one who feels the need to run down Ibadan to hype your own glorified villages and towns that you call cities. Please try and proof read your posts before hittng the submit button coz you just keep exposing your foolishness. You keep calling Lagos and ibadan slums, yet your people won't stop emigrating to those places as can be attested by their ever-increasing population growth and development. Upon all the hype you get paid to do for your state, your own folks are still talking with their feet by fleeing your enclave in droves for the very same region you love to hate. Nobody gives a flipping Bleep about you or your slum-campaign coz at the end of the day you are a nobody who is merely doing his job of propaganda disemmination for your boss. You are way beneath me in every ramification so I refuse to do for free what you are getting paid to do. Nah. I am way beyond that.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by Sinistami(m): 1:23pm On Jun 27, 2018
Are you people still measuring Dicks? pathetic. But wait these cities u people are boasting of are u sure they would have developed to this scale if everybody was on Nairaland doing the same thing y'all are doing. The real hardworkers are out there working hard to develop they cities why you people keep giving me alert on my Following topics section. Abeg like I said before I still have Yenagoa to worry about you majority tribes should go do your thing.

1 Like

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by TundeBricklayer: 1:51pm On Jun 27, 2018
FlyoruB:

Guy, the joke is on you because you are the one who feels the need to run down Ibadan to hype your own glorified villages and towns that you call cities. Please try and proof read your posts before hittng the submit button coz you just keep exposing your foolishness. You keep calling Lagos and ibadan slums, yet your people won't stop emigrating to those places as can be attested by their ever-increasing population growth and development. Upon all the hype you get paid to do for your state, your own folks are still talking with their feet by fleeing your enclave in droves for the very same region you love to hate. Nobody gives a flipping Bleep about you or your slum-campaign coz at the end of the day you are a nobody who is merely doing his job of propaganda for your boss. You are way beneath me in every ramification so I refuse to do for free what you are getting paid to do. Nah. I am way beyond that.
In your little cognitive mind grin grin take your frustration elsewhere, I'm not UN agent.

UN report not Anambra report

Ibadan, Nigeria,

by Laurent Fourchard

Summary

The intense crowding and subsequent deterioration of Ibadan’s inner city took place over a long period, closely linked to socio-economic change and limited municipal budgets. The, in principle, well-planned town thus turned into a slum. In 1963, half of the city’s core area consisted of slum dwellings, growing to 94 per cent of the town’s total number of derelict housing in 1985. Problems of illegal squatting, conversion of functions and extremely poor levels of service provision are compounded by the apparent lack of financial capacity and political will to upgrade such a large area. In addition, people strongly oppose resettlement due to their strong attachment to the ancestral lands.

During the past 20 years, the planned city saw a growth of squatting areas along the urban fringes and in the crowded low- and medium-income residential areas of the first half of the 20th century. Massive cash injections in urban utilities and infrastructure during the 1970s oil boom attracted a flow of rural migrants and citizens of other African states. Considerable unplanned development thus occurred along the major traffic arteries in the northern, eastern and southern directions, resulting in urban areas entirely devoid of urban management and planning. Whatever facilities were provided in these relatively prosperous times rapidly declined due to overuse and lack of maintenance. Rapid development of makeshift shelters since the 1980s largely corresponds to general, nation-wide increases in poverty.

Slums are defined as those areas that are yet to develop in terms of good planning and settlement. Some of the characteristics of slums are that they lack infra-structural facilities, have no planned layout and the residents are predominantly poor and illiterate. Slums are areas that concentrate low-income earners, low-cost houses, possibly mud houses, no layout and poor inhabitants.

The three main slum types in Ibadan are:

Inner city slums: these consist of the oldest (19th century) and lowest quality residences and are characterized by severe deterioration, the city’s highest population density and no identifiable sanitation facilities. They house a very high percentage of indigenous Yoruba people.

Squatting areas: the low- and medium-income residential districts of the first half of the 20th century – although better controlled by the planning authorities – have attracted some illegal squatting by migrants from the 1970s and 1980s onwards. Squatting is highly organized and cannot be considered as spontaneous.

Unplanned outskirts: from the 1970s to the 1990s, land along the major traffic arteries has attracted slums in the north, the east and the south of the city. Here, at the outskirts of the city, 30 per cent of the derelict houses in Ibadan are found. Most of them have developed because a new labour market gave opportunities for employment, but without housing provision. Some spontaneous slums also exist in other parts of the city; but few data are available.

There are serious problems with migrants’ access to land, partly because of discriminatory allocation of urban land, particularly with the last migration wave of the Hausa during the late 1970s. The uncertain political situation and the ethnic riots of the past 30 years are associated with loss of property. Migrants, therefore, prefer to rent in order to allow for a quick departure in emergencysituations. There is, generally, a high percentage of poor and illiterate people; but the percentage varies from slum to slum.

Since the 1950s, Nigerian urban governance has had three separate levels of government that directly intervene: federal, state and local government. During the 1960s to the 1980s, the power of local authorities decreased. Local government largely viewed slums as inevitable and not an issue that could be addressed at the local level. Thus, only marginal interventions took place, if any. A series of interventions to improve slums and alleviate poverty took place from 1988 onwards. However, the failure to address weak local-level capacity to formulate strategies, programmes and projects, combined with rampant corruption and conflicts between various levels of governance, wasted most of the resources.

Multiple agencies responsible for generating urban policies have not been able to effect urban improvements. Rather, duplication of functions and lack of coordination has affected the entire city. Conflicts of jurisdiction and competence, the absence of effective coordination between levels of government, frequent bureaucratic changes, low priority for urban planning, and the commensurate lack of funding have caused delays and confusion in the execution of urban policies.

This summary has been extracted from:

UN-Habitat Global Report on Human Settlements, The Challenge of Slums, Earthscan, London; Part IV: 'Summary of City Case Studies', pp195-228.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by mercyville: 8:57pm On Jun 27, 2018
TundeBricklayer:
Even posted 3D pictures
These are real pictures from Awka
Thank God,you call the pix 3D because you can never see such development in your tiny enclave.

1000 years from now,all your South eastern states will still be trailing Ibadan in development..

IBADAN

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by mercyville: 9:19pm On Jun 27, 2018
IBADAN

1 Like

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by Ugosample(m): 10:21am On Jun 28, 2018
Xander85:

Quit sounding daft! New York and Hong Kong are densely built up...are they landlocked as well!

I don't know why this erroneous notion of Igboland being landlocked makes some of you so happy and gives you a very stiff bone'r! undecided

it's the emptiness in their soul that is to blame for that mumu thinking

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by Ugosample(m): 10:23am On Jun 28, 2018
Ofemannnu:
Good for Lagos, Onitsha,Ibadan and the rest in the list but Ibadan is more developed than all South East joined together. What will you do about that grin

Assuming that is true, assuming o

how does it better your life

2 Likes

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by Ttipsy(f): 12:54pm On Jun 28, 2018
Ugosample:

Assuming that is true, assuming o

how does it better your life
lol
Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by omadeltason: 11:31pm On Jul 28, 2018
Xander85:

Quit sounding daft! New York and Hong Kong are densely built up...are they landlocked as well!

I don't know why this erroneous notion of Igboland being landlocked makes some of you so happy and gives you a very stiff bone'r! undecided
don't mind the afonja man from Ekiti

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by omadeltason: 11:36pm On Jul 28, 2018
Xander85:

don't mind the afonja man from Ekitii

Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by Konquest: 5:35am On Dec 01, 2018
afroniger:
I don't know what the fuss is about. Onitsha for example should not be a surprise because the land mass of the main Onitsha city is relatively very very small so i would be shocked if it wasnt already built up by now, compared to much larger cities in Nigeria.
Re: Lagos And Onitsha Top The List Of Built Up Urban Areas In Africa by Konquest: 6:38am On Dec 01, 2018
Kasy08133625633:
Onitsha is now more or less a mega city. The city has grown beyond the original Onitsha North & South. Today, Onitsha metropolis includes: Ogbaru, Ogidi, Idemmili, Ogbunike, Nsugbe, Obosi, Oba, Nkwelle etc. The city has kept expanding and expanding because it represents to the SE what Lagos and PH represents to the SW and SS respectively.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

10 Interesting Facts About Kwara State / DELSU Student Kills A Man & A Woman With His Car (Disturbing Photos) / Big Birds Of The Sky; Incredible Paintings Of World’s Leading Aircraft

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.