Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,748 members, 7,817,064 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:38 AM

I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! (11599 Views)

Runall Battery Is The Best Quality And Affordable Car Battery For In Harcourt / Help!!!! My C350 2009 Battery Is Draining / What Brand Of Car Battery Is The Best? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by pjosh1(m): 12:07am On Jun 27, 2018
I use a Lexus es 330 and I have changed the battery twice in a week, at first I thought the battery I bought was fake not until I bought the second battery and I still have the same problem. Whenever I park and off the engine the car refuses to start unless I start the engine with another battery then put in back mine. I don't think it's the alternator because sometimes after using another battery to start the car I can still drive it out, park and come back home without giving me problem and sometimes it just won't start​ after I park. I also noticed when I'm driving at night if I put on the headlight my dashboard light will go off, the AC will go off and the DVD system and sometimes even without putting on the headlight​ the AC and DVD goes off.
I'm afraid of calling a rewire to come check it because they sometimes just create extra problems.
I just bought the car not up to a month

1 Like

Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by AutoElectNG: 12:13am On Jun 27, 2018
pjosh1:
I use a Lexus es 330 and I have changed the battery twice in a week, at first I thought the battery I bought was fake not until I bought the second battery and I still have the same problem. Whenever I park and off the engine the car refuses to start unless I start the engine with another battery then put in back mine. I don't think it's the alternator because sometimes after using another battery to start the car I can still drive it out, park and come back home without giving me problem and sometimes it just won't start​ after I park. I also noticed when I'm driving at night if I put on the headlight my dashboard light will go off, the AC will go off and the DVD system and sometimes even without putting on the headlight​ the AC and DVD goes off.
I'm afraid of calling a rewire to come check it because they sometimes just create extra problems.
Parasitic drain see also https://www.nairaland.com/4516949/b4-rx330-kills-me#67770393

1 Like

Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by EkoErrands: 12:17am On Jun 27, 2018
pjosh1:

Does your headlamp make a continuous buzzing sound when on...like a bee? If yes let me know
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by pjosh1(m): 12:26am On Jun 27, 2018
EkoErrands:

Does your headlamp make a continuous buzzing sound when on...like a bee? If yes let me know
No it doesn't
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by pjosh1(m): 12:29am On Jun 27, 2018
AutoElectNG:

Parasitic drain see also https://www.nairaland.com/4516949/b4-rx330-kills-me#67770393
I read about this but the problem is getting someone competent
Imagine the last rewire who fixed the damage front bulb telling me the reason it's doing like that is because I removed the battery, the car system will have to reset itself and the problem will stop after driving
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by pjosh1(m): 12:32am On Jun 27, 2018
I was even thinking maybe it's the buld they fixed. I really just don't know what to do.. I haven't even used the car for two weeks and this ...
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by EkoErrands: 12:32am On Jun 27, 2018
pjosh1:

No it doesn't

OK.....mine was making a buzzing sound when you stand close to the headlamp....and I discovered the mechanism that tilts the lamp angle was worn out so the electric motor inside was just running non stop whenever the lamp was on...a Peugeot anyway....I just unplugged the socket behind the tilt device and it stopped.

1 Like

Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by pjosh1(m): 12:40am On Jun 27, 2018
EkoErrands:

OK.....mine was making a buzzing sound when you stand close to the headlamp....and I discovered the mechanism that tilts the lamp angle was worn out so the electric motor inside was just running non stop whenever the lamp was on...a Peugeot anyway....I just unplugged the socket behind the tilt device and it stopped.

I'll check again and see if it does that.. thanks
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by AutoElectNG: 5:00am On Jun 27, 2018
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by pjosh1(m): 7:29am On Jun 27, 2018
AutoElectNG:

Where are you based
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by dejaiye: 5:04pm On Jun 28, 2018
pjosh1:

I also had same problem after buying my Honda Pilot. I thought it was battery problem until I changed the battery in my previous car into it only for the car not to start the following morning. That was when I knew something must be draining the battery. I had to be removing the positive wire from the terminal head at night for three days to confirm this. I then called my rewire who first tested it by removing the positive wire and tried to scratch the terminal with the battery head which created a kind of spark. That finally confirmed it and I just gave him the car key to go and check and fix. He came back later to tell me it was some relays that were causing the drain which he changed and everything was okay.

7 Likes

Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by obekediamondfuto(m): 9:35pm On Jun 28, 2018
parasitic drains are not so easy for a lay man to diagnose, it'll take a pro some time so find the culprit Without the right tools and equipments.

if u r DIY compliant then some YouTube videos can go a long way in helping u..... to some extent.

ekiti hmmmmm, u might need one who is experienced oh, that was the same place they looped my friends right full beam from the left side, not knowing it was a relay that prevented the bulb from lighting.

1 Like

Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by Ehybrid: 5:27pm On Jun 29, 2018
pjosh1:

The problem is most likely parasitic drain and/or faulty alternator.
Go to a competent auto tech to identify cause of current drain.
If you are a DIY person, google 'parasitic drain' and watch some youtube videos to get a hang of how to troubleshoot yourself.
Same applies for troubleshooting if your alternator is charging properly...wiring diagram may be needed for this diagnosis.

Wish you quick resolution of this issue.
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by Follygunners: 7:15am On Jun 30, 2018
OP, don't even bother to spend any extra money trying to diagnose it... It's simply the "Alternator".. even though you think otherwise.

The things you mentioned are just exactly one of the very many symptoms of a faulty alternator. No more, no less... Thank me later

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by valuedammy(m): 7:15am On Jun 30, 2018
Let me ask google on your behalf for the probable cause of this.
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by cantcme1: 7:16am On Jun 30, 2018
pjosh1:

Check your alternator
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by SolutionMee: 7:16am On Jun 30, 2018
Must you ride

1 Like

Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by freemanbubble: 7:17am On Jun 30, 2018
ok
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by samyyoung1(m): 7:20am On Jun 30, 2018
Faulty alternator, either carbon bushy repair or outright replacement

Without ur battery, alternator alone shld be able to work ur DVD, head lamps n all, except AC

1 Like

Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by Handsomebeing(m): 7:20am On Jun 30, 2018
Heck your alternator. In the mean time, always remove your battery head whenever you park. Saves the battery from draining.

1 Like

Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by tonididdy(m): 7:20am On Jun 30, 2018
pjosh1:
I was even thinking maybe it's the buld they fixed. I really just don't know what to do.. I haven't even used the car for two weeks and this ...
you were sold a faulty car... the car dealer knew of this problem. definitely an electric fault is causing your batteries to drain completely.

when you park at night or for a long time, remove one terminal head of the battery when you are ready to move again, fix it back.

1 Like

Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by Follygunners: 7:21am On Jun 30, 2018
SolutionMee:
Must you ride

Awon Aye.. Awon ota, Awon olofo... Just imagine bad belle. angry

Na so so okada and danfo you go ride die! angry

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by Nobody: 7:21am On Jun 30, 2018
electrical issue... something is on in your car.. i pray it dont catch fire one day...

when next you park overnight, remove the battery head and see what happen

1 Like

Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by yomalex(m): 7:21am On Jun 30, 2018
Hmm learning
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by symbianDON(m): 7:21am On Jun 30, 2018
2 batteries in one week in this economy? op I feel your pain o...kpele, ndo, dooh, ssanu
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by wristbangle: 7:22am On Jun 30, 2018
Check the alternator. It maybe the carbon brushes are worn out. Get a good car electrical engineer to fix this issue for you or best still get another alternator if you have the money.

Regards,

1 Like

Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by madgoat(m): 7:22am On Jun 30, 2018
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by King4Roller: 7:23am On Jun 30, 2018
Igwe Gazzuzz. We await your arrival.
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by madgoat(m): 7:24am On Jun 30, 2018
pjosh1:

grin grin they sold you scrap grin grin wise seller sold it of sharp sharp to a one chance buyer grin
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by femmy2010(m): 7:25am On Jun 30, 2018
pjosh1:

My guess still remain that it is the alternator
If you are based in Lagos , call Rafiu on 08033702739 to get it sorted for you .

Best of luck .

Visit www.dudzmobility.com/inventory to view our available vehicles for sale
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by mightyhazell: 7:29am On Jun 30, 2018
check d battery heads,they might be coated,... since u say alternators r charging fine
Re: I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! by Jarus(m): 7:31am On Jun 30, 2018
My Chrysler 300 had same issue for a long time last year. I had to be detaching battery head anytime I wanted park for long. It was annoying as the rewires I called couldn't fix it.

It was later fixed by a combination of battery charger (somethig like filling the battery heads) and rewire (who I think worked on the alternator). Can't recall what exactly each did but I know both of them worked together the day it was successfully fixed.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Need To Have A Tyre Pressure Guage / How Much Is Comprehensive Car Insurance / Car Maintenance Tips: Benefits And What To Check

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.