Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,083 members, 7,821,731 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:23 PM

Bad Officiating Denied Eagles’ Victory – Drogba - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Bad Officiating Denied Eagles’ Victory – Drogba (31975 Views)

Nigeria-Ghana Jollof War: See Troost-Ekong's Reaction To Super Eagles' Victory / One Dies In Kogi Celebrating Super Eagles Victory Against South Africa / Slay Queen Shares Semi-nude Picture To Celebrate Super Eagles Victory (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bad Officiating Denied Eagles’ Victory – Drogba by Nwaforj44: 9:40am On Jun 27, 2018
Phoenix Rising and former Ivory Coast striker Didier Drogba has said bad officiating led to Nigeria’s ouster against Argentina at the ongoing FIFA World Cup in Russia on Tuesday.

The former Chelsea striker who spoke on BBC One said the referee favoured Argentina unjustly with the decision not to award the second penalty.

He said, “I think it’s a bad decision from the referee not to give Nigeria a second penalty]. It’s the defender’s mistake – he didn’t read the ball well.

“It’s difficult to give the penalty because it would take Argentina out of the competition.”

Recall that the South Americans maintained the lone goal lead to the end of first half. On resumption of the second half, the Eagles however came out smoking to earn a penalty in the 51st minute that was effectively converted by Victor Moses.

Eagles had every opportunity to maintain the draw to the end but failed to do so. An opportunity for Eagles to even shoot into a lead was bungled by Odion Ighalo who shot wide from the post at the edge of the 18 yard box and called for penalty following a handball by an Argentine defender.

The Referee however turned down the call after the VAR confirmed a no penalty verdict. It was however the 86th minute of the match that Argentina turned the table after Marcos Rojo converted a well taken corner kick.

Efforts by the Eagles to seek a remedy for the unfortunate scenario failed to yield any result. The defeat marks a continuation of wins by Argentina over Nigeria at competitive level.

Nigeria had before the world cup, beaten Argentina 4-2.

The group stage exit by the Super Eagles is short fall from the usual round of 16 for which Nigeria has been known.

While Nigeria joins other African countries, Egypt, Morocco and Tunisia who have since exited the world cup, Argentina will face France in the round of 16.

http://www.akelicious.net/2018/06/bad-officiating-denied-eagles-victory.html

12 Likes

Re: Bad Officiating Denied Eagles’ Victory – Drogba by debaj10: 9:41am On Jun 27, 2018
wetin konsyn u?
goan play ur own.
bababubu till 2023!!!

5 Likes

Re: Bad Officiating Denied Eagles’ Victory – Drogba by chichar1(f): 9:48am On Jun 27, 2018
I disagreed with you my legend!!!!!!!!!!! the god of soccer is against us!!!!!!!!!!!! we cannot be mourning and celebrating at the sometime!!!!!!!!

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bad Officiating Denied Eagles’ Victory – Drogba by nzeobi(m): 9:54am On Jun 27, 2018
ighalo and rohr sent us packing.
if your first and second choice strikers are not performing then you give your third choice simeon nwankwo a chance.

I think that our coach now thinks like a typical Nigeria politician who puts sentiments over competence.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bad Officiating Denied Eagles’ Victory – Drogba by Melkizedeck: 9:58am On Jun 27, 2018
Nwaforj44:

Phoenix Rising and former Ivory Coast striker Didier Drogba has said bad officiating led to Nigeria’s ouster against Argentina at the ongoing FIFA World Cup in Russia on Tuesday.

The former Chelsea striker who spoke on BBC One said the referee favoured Argentina unjustly with the decision not to award the second penalty.

He said, “I think it’s a bad decision from the referee not to give Nigeria a second penalty]. It’s the defender’s mistake – he didn’t read the ball well.

“It’s difficult to give the penalty because it would take Argentina out of the competition.”

Recall that the South Americans maintained the lone goal lead to the end of first half. On resumption of the second half, the Eagles however came out smoking to earn a penalty in the 51st minute that was effectively converted by Victor Moses.

Eagles had every opportunity to maintain the draw to the end but failed to do so. An opportunity for Eagles to even shoot into a lead was bungled by Odion Ighalo who shot wide from the post at the edge of the 18 yard box and called for penalty following a handball by an Argentine defender.

The Referee however turned down the call after the VAR confirmed a no penalty verdict. It was however the 86th minute of the match that Argentina turned the table after Marcos Rojo converted a well taken corner kick.

Efforts by the Eagles to seek a remedy for the unfortunate scenario failed to yield any result. The defeat marks a continuation of wins by Argentina over Nigeria at competitive level.

Nigeria had before the world cup, beaten Argentina 4-2.

The group stage exit by the Super Eagles is short fall from the usual round of 16 for which Nigeria has been known.

While Nigeria joins other African countries, Egypt, Morocco and Tunisia who have since exited the world cup, Argentina will face France in the round of 16.

http://www.akelicious.net/2018/06/bad-officiating-denied-eagles-victory.html

Oga Drogba there was no bad officiating, only poor tactical changes. When I watched Ighalo against Croatia, I knew there was a big problem. I cried that such person should never be given a chance especially in such a critical match like that. Our coach made a mistake. Iwobi would have come in place of Iheanacho while musa be taken to the strike position. Next time a coach should be able to read his players' strengths and weaknesses

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bad Officiating Denied Eagles’ Victory – Drogba by oshe11: 10:01am On Jun 27, 2018
If Drogba truly said this, then he s BLINDED by being AFRICAN

That ref even favoured Nigeria more self....

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Bad Officiating Denied Eagles’ Victory – Drogba by TheAngry1: 10:02am On Jun 27, 2018
ok
Re: Bad Officiating Denied Eagles’ Victory – Drogba by MrRhymes101(m): 10:02am On Jun 27, 2018
Everybody knows this. Even FIFA knows it but they know argentina would make them more money against france than naija... Wedding MC

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bad Officiating Denied Eagles’ Victory – Drogba by Beedoc: 10:04am On Jun 27, 2018
Ok

Re: Bad Officiating Denied Eagles’ Victory – Drogba by kingthreat(m): 10:04am On Jun 27, 2018
Lets stop being sentimental. We didn't play the best football.
In the whole team for that match, I give it to Leon Balogun, who tactically won us the first penalty. The second penalty claim was very unworthy. Ighalo had a chance to make the ball a goal but he threw it all away. That guy does not deserve to be in super Eagles talk-less of wearing the Number 9 jersey.
Our football needs to be more technical minded. If an attacking team beckons more pressure on us, we would yield. To me, Musa and Balogun were the best Nigerian players of the World Cup. Rohr is a pretty good coach, though I expected him to have parked the bus like Mourinho after we scored the penalty.
The fact remains, Nigeria needs more quality players. Imagine, we have only Moses playing in the top clubs of the world. We cannot expect to win the world cup. Let our institutions invest better in football. We would get result in due time.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bad Officiating Denied Eagles’ Victory – Drogba by Nobody: 10:04am On Jun 27, 2018
We denied ourselves. Let's own up to our mess.
Even the first penalty should not have been awarded.
Our boys should have scored and there will be no excuse.

Meanwhile the president should resign.

1 Like

Re: Bad Officiating Denied Eagles’ Victory – Drogba by Folashade2016(f): 10:05am On Jun 27, 2018
DD mind your business please.

check my SIGNATURE

1 Like

Re: Bad Officiating Denied Eagles’ Victory – Drogba by honestivo(m): 10:05am On Jun 27, 2018
It was just a prove that no animal or man can predict the future except God
Re: Bad Officiating Denied Eagles’ Victory – Drogba by kristonium(m): 10:05am On Jun 27, 2018
Very true!
Already written about this

1 Like

Re: Bad Officiating Denied Eagles’ Victory – Drogba by tolexy007(m): 10:06am On Jun 27, 2018
debaj10:
wetin konsyn u?

goan play ur own.

bababubu till 2023!!!

muuumu

1 Like

Re: Bad Officiating Denied Eagles’ Victory – Drogba by Emmylyon(m): 10:06am On Jun 27, 2018
How can someone that calls himself a striker not be able to finish off a ball from a close range not even once but trice, and also how can a coach who's paid millions to manage a team like super eagles not be able to notice from the first half that IDOWU was totally a bad decision for that crucial match of which he should have replaced him in the second half.
For me, IGHALO and the insensitive coach we have took us out of the competition, all thanks to them

lipsrsealed angry

4 Likes

Re: Bad Officiating Denied Eagles’ Victory – Drogba by Benjom(m): 10:06am On Jun 27, 2018
What's done is done. Let's face the future.
Re: Bad Officiating Denied Eagles’ Victory – Drogba by Paperwhite(m): 10:06am On Jun 27, 2018
It was obvious before the whole world brother man but Nigerian Odion Ighalo also helped to compound our woes undecided

2 Likes

Re: Bad Officiating Denied Eagles’ Victory – Drogba by Nobody: 10:07am On Jun 27, 2018
Nah. Bad coaching and ighalo did
Re: Bad Officiating Denied Eagles’ Victory – Drogba by Edubbs: 10:07am On Jun 27, 2018
Africans and Nigerians in particular always see bad officiating whenever they lose.

*The first bad officiating i saw was not giving our defender a red card for clipping the feet of de maria from behind when he was through on goal.

*The second one was the penalty given to Nigeria. A tussle in the box from a corner kick. 8 out of 10 referees would have ignored that incident. And then we say the referee was biased against us. lol.

Typical Nigerian mentality. Always finding someone or something to blame.

10 Likes

Re: Bad Officiating Denied Eagles’ Victory – Drogba by ozoebuka1(m): 10:07am On Jun 27, 2018
Good riddance by FIFA... We don't value fairness why should fairness be given to us? imagine how many people that died in plateau and these players never thought it worthy to tie black headband or even request for a minute silence... shocked

1 Like

Re: Bad Officiating Denied Eagles’ Victory – Drogba by scholes23(m): 10:08am On Jun 27, 2018
I agree, although we messed up. What's the point of going to the world cup when referees are always unfair to African teams

5 Likes

Re: Bad Officiating Denied Eagles’ Victory – Drogba by engrjacuzzi: 10:11am On Jun 27, 2018
oga Drogba, this hairstyle no fit you at all
Re: Bad Officiating Denied Eagles’ Victory – Drogba by Nobody: 10:12am On Jun 27, 2018
Enough of these analysis on super eagles loss. Can we just move on with our lives jeje........pls? undecided
Re: Bad Officiating Denied Eagles’ Victory – Drogba by kennybelle: 10:13am On Jun 27, 2018
Bad officiating influenced by FIFA, plus we din take our chances to prove them wrong.

FIFA would'nt av wanted Nigeria to win because Argentina is more profitable than Nigeria, afterall it's no longer a coincidence that we're always paired with them in d W/cup

1 Like

Re: Bad Officiating Denied Eagles’ Victory – Drogba by innocential3032(m): 10:13am On Jun 27, 2018
debaj10:
wetin konsyn u?

goan play ur own.

bababubu till 2023!!!
if u too mind ur buisness, u would've kip quite abtt it. Like seriously, u are high on codein
Re: Bad Officiating Denied Eagles’ Victory – Drogba by Digriz(m): 10:14am On Jun 27, 2018
Drogba pls talk true,China product really messed us up.
Re: Bad Officiating Denied Eagles’ Victory – Drogba by BabaO2: 10:15am On Jun 27, 2018
Coaching crew messed up, Iwobi would have done better than ighalo if introduced earlier. Ighalo was a wrong choice to be introduced in that match. The guy has not been clinical since moving to china. Why preferring him to younger and better player? I ghalo would have lost the 2 goals scored by Musa against Iceland

2 Likes

Re: Bad Officiating Denied Eagles’ Victory – Drogba by Nobody: 10:16am On Jun 27, 2018
Melkizedeck:

Oga Drogba there was no bad officiating, only poor tactical changes. When I watched Ighalo against Croatia, I knew there was a big problem. I cried that such person should never be given a chance especially in such a critical match like that. Our coach made a mistake. Iwobi would have come in place of Iheanacho while musa be taken to the strike position. Next time a coach should be able to read his players' strengths and weaknesses
the only thing y'all is good at is blame and fingger pointing and praise singing. If they had put iwobi, it would have been another story. Why have you not blamed Musa for no scoring. The critical behaviour of many of you is why Nigeria is still Nigeria. Appreciate a good work. Those boys tried. You for go the field go play naaa. It's obvious that match had a bad officiating...
Re: Bad Officiating Denied Eagles’ Victory – Drogba by izzy4shizzy(m): 10:17am On Jun 27, 2018
Those of you saying he is wrong, where you blind?
Even a blind man would see that was a penalty

The fact that Igalo and iheanacho sqandared our chances don't mean the referee was fair

My point is King drogba was right

Man of the match: Referee

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Vincent Enyeama , Wife And Daughter In New Lovely Photo / Protest Against Amaju Pinnick, NFF President In Abuja (Pictures) / Cristiano Ronaldo Wins Golden Foot Award 2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.