Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,524 members, 7,819,886 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:59 AM

Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. - Culture (50) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. (244737 Views)

Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? / Delta Igbo,bendel Igbo,ikwerre Igbo,do They Really Matter To The Igbo Nation? / Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) ... (111) (Go Down)

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 5:43pm On Aug 13, 2011
in all my write ups i have never said there were no igbo migration or igbo culture in owa or ika , but i have also stated other cultural traits especially from benin in owa ,which some people want us to forget or not to mention because they are looking for numbers.but i have also been saying that we are ika people .
2.  well  i am a bonafide owa person and from lineage of owa kings , so owa belongs to me , and  for your information read my former write ups where i listed  parts of owa culture that is from benin and those from igbo land .
3. when anioma is created it will be in south south , from your arguement i can see you are a land hungry igbo man that wants anioma area to be cedded to your kinsmen that is why your voice is loudest and you are not even from delta , you dont know our culture.
4. this is a forum where people write and learn , i have written many things about owa , if you know more than me please write and stop brandishing a page from a book or google that supports your owa being igbo, when you are faced with many things in owa also coming from benin.
5. are you not dessapointed that obi of owa does not belong to ohaneze ndigbo ?
6. are you not also disappointed that the owa people did not support biafra ? do you know why it is because they are ika and not igbo, and no amount of your internet gibrish will sway us.
7.  you might be dissappointed to know that justice ehiwarrior  and general usiade ,nduka obaigben,nduka irabor and the anglican primate all from owa are speaheading ika ethnic conciousness, sorry oooo.
8.  please for you to know that i am of owa royal descendants with a family history that goes back to about 700 years , my family/ relatives such as ehiem, ebie, ozabor, egbai , ayetin   had been ihama of owa in the past ,and it is reserved for royal descendants
9. currently  my uncle  baba okoro  osunhon  son of omigie  is the okibali/edionma  of idumu ezomor- he is the village head right now and our village is one of the royal villages in owa kingdom.
10.  i  have never said ika people or owa people are binis , i only acknowledge that some of our fore fathers were binis, and i also said some were igbo  and that owa /ika is a seperate entity, which  i  did not begin, there was a major attempt by other tribes to eclipse ika people in 1930 , which they resisted and stated that  they were seperate  and independent of any other ethnic group near or far .
11.  i have read many benin books , and read many of their website , what i see  most of the time is that they say ika people migrated from benin ,before other igbo and others joined them, and till today the bini recognise ika as a seperate group of people , but beyond that owa kingdom still have a lot of relationship with benin ,starting from long history.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 5:59pm On Aug 13, 2011
well every group is free to choose where they want to belong to , so if an igala group say they are igbos good for them ,but we owa and majority of ika people have rejected being igbo long time ago , infact the word igbo meand slave in owa dialect ,it is called igbon , and no owa person will like to be called that.
2. please thank the europeans who helped your people to form kingdoms and weld many people together as igbo, so if they remain there that is there business , as for owa and most ika we are ika period .and no amount of igbo propaganda can make us change , and as for those that dont know i have always stated my lineage.
3. we call our language in owa ika , we say we speak ika , we do not say we speak ika igbo, so it is left for you igbo propagandist to write or say whatever you like ,but the fact remains that any real ika person will never go with igbos , and when it is ctitical we will disappoint you because in our conciousness we are ika different from igbo.
4. my igbo propagandist please go and assist me in translating some owa sentences that i wrote in some pages before this .
5. i have long known that why most igbos are interested in anioma or delth north area is because they want land to make it part of igbo land , so they want those that are igala, yoruba, edo and others to say they are igbo,it will not work.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Abagworo(m): 6:13pm On Aug 13, 2011
For those who missed this link the last time I posted it.

http://www.ndi-owa.com/index.php/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=66:origin-of-owa&catid=4:owa&Itemid=9

Agbotaen,that is your town's website writing about their origin.I have not been able to dig your Obis book where he categorically stated his origin.I hope to find it one day and post for people to understand that you are insane.

Owa as a town has nothing to contribute to other Igbo towns like Asaba,Onitsha,Aba,Owerri or Enugu which are several times larger and more developed.Owa has no crude oil,coal or palm oil so your pride has no roots.Igbodo has enough land and produces enough cash crops but Ogbuefi never accused anyone of eyeing their farm or land.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by NegroNtns(m): 6:44pm On Aug 13, 2011
<quote>

my friend wake up our kingship is not for sale it is very traditional and it is from father to son, and it was not created by the british as warrant chief that were created of recent by the british in igbo land and they are now called kings ,

</quote>

Agbotaen,

I have told these guys numerous times already and I will never stop preaching it to them.

Ibo majority is a wrong majority in Nigeria. Everytime they celebrate yam festival they need to cast yams aside for oyibo and thank white man plenty for artificially upgrading them to something worth even having a debate with. They are an African minority that have zero greatness in the histiory of the continent.

Everytime you tell them about your people and language and uniqueness they don't like it. You know why?

Because they are trying to construct something parallel with the accomplishments of true great people like Bini, Oyo, Fulani. They hate that you don't accept yourself as Ibo.

Do you have any idea what the future of your children and grandchildren stand? If Ibos don't succeed with your generatuion they will try with your chuildrens. They use language niw to tie you with them, in future they will use name.

To counter that your people will need to start distancing from Ibo name and language and empower your Bini heritage but suppress your Ibo link. That's the lesson for you in all of these. You are dealing with land grabbers. They already claimed Port Harcourt.

They want to claim Lagos, but as you know that will be the end of their presence in West if we rise up agaunst them.

They are a irritant pest. Raid is not eniough, you need an exterminator to demolish their base and colony.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by 0key: 7:01pm On Aug 13, 2011
@agbotaen, to start with ur name, u initialy created the impression u were an indigene of agbor but when u discovered that many writers were using owa-nri connection to drive home their points, u then declared to be an owa man. U are a stranger.

Secondly, u are not more 'anioma' than i am. Are u amazed? Initialy u were painting the picture of ika igbos originatng from bini by exalting only bini traits but now, from ur last write-up, u agreed on igbo origin of ika people. That shows some progress has been made in reforming ur mentality.

Bini people refer us as ovieigbo because they know our history very well as igbos. There were able to place us under their empire and imposed their leadership on us which we adopted.

From ur write-up, u said when conditions are critical, 'ika people' wil disappoint igbos. This alone explains a lot about. U are anticipatng d downfal of igbo people so that u wil make jest of them. Only a sadist will think that way. Igbo nation is already blessed of God. No real ika man wil think like u.
I can say with confidence u are a stranger. ANIOMA BELONGS TO SOUTH EAST.ng only bini traits but now, from ur last write-up, u agreed on igbo origin of ika people. That shows some progress has been made in reforming ur mentality.

Bini people refer us as ovieigbo because they know our history very well as igbos. There were able to place us under their empire and imposed their leadership on us which we adopted.

From ur write-up, u said when conditions are critical, 'ika people' wil disappoint igbos. This alone explains a lot about. U are anticipatng d downfal of igbo people so that u wil make jest of them. Only a sadist will think that way. Igbo nation is already blessed of God. No real ika man wil think like u.
I can say with confidence u are a stranger. ANIOMA BELONGS TO SOUTH EAST.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by AndreUweh(m): 12:09am On Aug 14, 2011
Agbontaen is so such a brainless poster. He is not ashamed of himself after Ezeagu has given him the book written by the Obi of Owa which points to Nri as the origin of Owa people.
Secondly, he said that only 5% of Ika people claim Igbo ancestry. When Ogbuefi1 appeared at the thread, he reduced the Igbo of Ika as just Igbodo, Akumazi and Ekwuoma.
He also claimed that no Ika Obi belongs to Ohanaeze, but when he was informed of Obi of Akumazi's role in Ohanaeze, then he restricted his comment to Owa.
Why are some people so shameless?.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by igboboy1(m): 3:11am On Aug 14, 2011
Agbotaen speak for yourself on anioma, If anioma state is created nna i know oshimili dey join SE if u wan join emmm SS u are free to do so,
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by igboboy1(m): 3:17am On Aug 14, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

To counter that your people will need to start distancing from Ibo name and language and empower your Bini heritage but suppress your Ibo link. That's the lesson for you in all of these. You are dealing with land grabbers. They already claimed Port Harcourt.

They want to claim Lagos, but as you know that will be the end of their presence in West if we rise up agaunst them.

They are a irritant pest. Raid is not eniough, you need an exterminator to demolish their base and colony.

hahaha claimed port harcourt? What do you mean claim? Son my mothers part of the family is from rivers. In fact i am from the core ND states and yet I see myself as igbo, please concern yourself with ijebu/egba politics anuofia
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ezeagu(m): 4:53pm On Aug 14, 2011
Central Igbo is taught in Owa. Too late. So there's no need in anyone busting their brains because of this issue.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by sonya4all(m): 2:56pm On Aug 16, 2011
Nothing can change my ika origin, nothing, Take it or leave it.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by AndreUweh(m): 4:46pm On Aug 16, 2011
Ika Igbo kwenu, Delta Igbo kwenu, Ndi Igbo kwezue.

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by NegroNtns(m): 5:38pm On Aug 16, 2011
Anambra igbo kwenu! Imo igbo kwenu!! Umuahia igbo kwenu!! Alaigbo kwenu!!! Dim gburugburu kwenu!!!!
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by AndreUweh(m): 6:33pm On Aug 16, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Anambra igbo kwenu! Imo igbo kwenu!! Umuahia igbo kwenu!! Alaigbo kwenu!!! Dim gburugburu kwenu!!!!
Well done. How I wish negro has changed for good. The old imbecilic NegroNTS would have spelt Ibo deliberately just to spite people.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by odumchi: 6:53pm On Aug 16, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Your fat husband Kwenu? grin
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by NegroNtns(m): 2:24am On Aug 17, 2011
<quote>

Well done. How I wish negro has changed for good. The old imbecilic NegroNTS would have spelt Ibo deliberately just to spite people.

</quote>

Na who wrote this nonsense, Odemchi is this you wrote this yeye stateMent?

You rassklat! What kind of wish is that hoping Negro is good? I've always been good, you monkey!
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by igboboy1(m): 8:58am On Aug 19, 2011
^^anuofia u wrote dim buruburu

well in igbo dim is my husband
buruburu is bigger than big

so she was asking you if your husband is big, no dey write wetin u no know cos u fit dey swear for yourself unknowingly thats why i stick to kilode in the yoruba language cos that i know for sure aint no swear.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 1:11pm On Aug 22, 2011
well as for some propagandist who are on this net to propagate nonsence , in owa what is taught is called ika language, and there is no central igbo taught there , right now there is even an ika new testament to that effect that tried to amalgamate the southern ika and eastern ika languages together , because there are differences in the way they speak and call things , while in some they are just same.
2. as for some writers who are comparing owa with igbodo, it is either they have not been to delta or they are listening to an internet propagandist.
3. ika people have two local govts, one is ika south with headquarters at agbor and the other is ika north east with headquarters in owa-oyibu.
4. ika north east is compriesed of these kingdoms or towns.
1. owa
2. umunede
3. akumazi
4. ute-okpu
5. ute -ogbeje
6. mbiri
7. otolokpo
8. idumuesah
9. igbodo
all these kingdoms or towns have there headquarters in owa -oyibu .
and after owa the next largest town which is also commercialy viable is umunede kingdom.
5. in the whole of delta north after asaba the capital of delta state ,these are the developed or developing towns agbor ,owa , obiaruku, ogwashi uku, umunede ,utagba uno, isele uku, igbuzor. .
6. in the whole of delta state bojiboji agbor and bojiboji owa are some of the most developed areas of delta state with facilities like courts, schools, general and central hospitals, small scale industries and assorted banks .,
housing estates and railway village.
7. in owa kingdom we are not just internet tigers , we are actively recognised in delta and nigerian politics , the delta state government is celebrating the 20th birthday ceremony for the founding of delta state and the state is giving award to 20 great deltans and 20 companies that have assisted in growth to delta state ,and on that list are two sons from owa kingdom ,and they are 1. prince nduka obaigbena - media ambassador of delta state and 2. kingsley emu- the most celebrated enterpreneur .
8. the vast majority of ika people will always be ika .

7. in owa kingdom
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 1:36pm On Aug 22, 2011
1. oselobue jen ko da kpokpo ndi ile rie kpokponi enyin wu ika ,
ihien idoboro le uloro e bihia kowe ,gha itebite de ru itebite,
we jen ko da kwan mmani, uhuki uwembu ke gbodoni ni we igbhogho le ifonron.
emeni we ri isere le ogbara ogbe , we asaka sime inyenren , jen ko da kokome,
mani we bihia umun ika , ihien ebulebu ,jen kon da kenmen ni we ogba, enyin wu umun ika ,
a hun kor , ihien jenkor da chun enyin ye ni onye ogodon, make ni ogodon amasi,
enyi a hunkor ihein uya jen ko de gi enyin gbe ali , ha iyetor de gbepu uwaya ooo
iseh.
2. when and if anioma is created , the news in anioma will be read in ika, ozara, olukunmi,igala and igbo that is for sure ,and may be some people will be dejected, and the state will still be divided between those that say they are igbo and those that believe they are ika , or igala, or olukunmi ,and edo. .
3. all communities in delta north know their origin and they know their differences and they also know their similarities . but any attempt whether overtly or covertly to impose a single ethnic identity other than the one the people ascribed to themselves will always meet a brick wall.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 1:59pm On Aug 22, 2011
i have never spoken for the whole of anioma , i speak for majority of ika people and in particular for owa people, you know why , i am a part and parcel of owa kingdom, as i am a descendants of kings and princes in owa and i hail from idumu ezomor village in owa- oyibu , i hope you know idumu is a bini word for village ? and ezomor is a bini name , but i trust igbo propagandists they will insist that idumu and ezomor are igbo words , how funny?
2. no owa person have ever denied that in owa igbos did not come there , they did come to owa , other people ikas , ishan , ora ,ukwani and others came there too that is why we are ika people.
3. when i challenge most igbo propagandist on this web to write about the igbo traditions in owa and the bini ones they dont even know , if you want to learn about igbo / bini traditions in owa , please consult my write ups here , i have listed our greetings, chiefthancy titles, festivals, culture, language too, i have pointed to the ones that are igbo and the ones that are from bini.
4. the only thing you can pinpoint is obi of owa book, but you forgot that even in that book he also said some traditions say odogun came from bini, although he also said some traditions say odogun came from nri, .
5. you have also forgotten to mention that there is a book written by the whole of owa community titled ndiowa and her monarchs published in 1999 , sold at the royal palace in owa till date that tells how adagba from edo founded owa and how odogun later came some 600 years after to unite the kingdom.
6. in 1970,s my late uncle idionma ( elder) eric ogboi who single handedly wrote ika language from book one to 6 , in book three talked about ika history and he said owa was founded by adagba from edo , and that odogun later came from ute, there is also a book written in 1949 on owa history by ogbehun elders , it is titled owa -history and culture , please also find and read .
7.those towns who are igbo towns in delta are proud of it , while we who are ika are also proud of our ikaship.and like i said before most ika people keep their distance from igbo people ,because we are different in attitude and socio and spiritual world view .
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 2:05pm On Aug 22, 2011
LASTLY I WILL WANT SOME ONE TO HELP ME TRANSLATE THE SENTENCES WRITTEN IN OWA DIALECT OF IKA ,
THE STATEMENTS ARE WRITTEN IN SOME PAGES BEFORE THIS ABOVE ,
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ezeagu(m): 2:15pm On Aug 22, 2011
agbotaen:

1.  oselobue jen ko da kpokpo ndi ile rie kpokponi enyin wu ika ,
ihien idoboro le uloro  e bihia kowe ,gha itebite de ru itebite,
we jen ko da kwan  mmani, uhuki uwembu ke gbodoni   ni we igbhogho le ifonron.
   emeni we ri isere le ogbara ogbe , we asaka  sime inyenren , jen ko da kokome,
  mani  we bihia umun ika , ihien ebulebu ,jen kon da kenmen ni we ogba, enyin wu umun ika ,
a hun kor , ihien jenkor  da chun enyin ye ni onye ogodon, make ni  ogodon amasi,
   enyi  a hunkor  ihein  uya jen ko de gi enyin gbe ali , ha iyetor de gbepu  uwaya ooo
     iseh.

1.God (please) go (come?) and bring out (remove) the enemies and bring out the friends of Ika, (I thought its kpo[b]kpu[/b]?)
The thing you kept . . . .something, something. . . (don't understand the writing),
Let them go and get (hold) oil(?) (or is it 'Jen kọ dà kwa nmini?' as in let them go and cry), . . . .something, something. . .
They didn't do  . . . .something, something. . .,  . . . .something, something. . ., Go and  . . . .something, something. . .,
And on the other hand if they fight(?)/live amongst(?) with the Umu Ika, peace(?), go and tie their evil(?), and the rest. . .

How did I do?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by odumchi: 4:01pm On Aug 22, 2011
^^^
It is only a dialect of Igbo  cool grin

But besides an Igbo dialect more intelligible than his is spoken in Agbor. Here's a video of some women of Agbor (Igboland's Westernmost city).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNYeQ1Ceq7c&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ChinenyeN(m): 5:07pm On Aug 22, 2011
It's not necessarily what Agbotaen wrote, but how he wrote it. Standardized grammar isn't widespread for Nigerian languages. So, some/most people just tend to write however they like. Agbotaen's writing obviously shows no recognizable grammar construction. It's just all over the place. If I did the same thing with Ngwa (wrote it however way I felt like it), I'm sure some of my own Ngwa people wouldn't even bother trying to read what I wrote.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 8:07pm On Aug 22, 2011
ikas from igbanke, ute oheze, owa iguaza, in obazagbon all in edo to agbor , owa and the rest in umunede speak in different ways which are intelligeble to them and some times in different ways too.,where some of the words might not be intelligible to them.
2. german and holland speak a language the have many similar words ,but they are different languages, isoko and uhrobo speak a close language yet , they are different languages, bini and ishan speak a close language yet they are different.
3. let me dissect the sentences ----------------
oselobue- GOD jen ko da ( will or is going to ) kpokpo( to trouble or give trouble)
ndi ( the people) ile ( all) rie ( that is )
kpokponi ( troubling ) enyin ( us) wu( that) ,
ihien (things) idoboro ( evil ) uloro ( terrible) ogondon( evil person) amasi ( is not good)
e bihia ( will not let go of them) we ( them)
gha ( from), itebite ( everlasting or forever)
we jen ko da ( they will), kwan( cry), mmani ( had i known or regretfull)
uhuki uwenbu ( evil spirits) , ke ( will) gbodoni ( prevent/block)
ighogho( happiness) le ( and) ifonron( light/ goodthings)
emeni ( if they ). we ( are), ri isere ( outside) le( and) ogbara ogbe( on the streets)
we asaka ( they will not be able), sime ( hold) inyenren( discurssion)
jen kor da ( that will ) kokome( agreed upon)
mani ( unless), we bihia ( they let go of), umun ika ( ika people),
ihien ebulebu ( good and delightful things), kenmeni we ogba ( will surround them)
enyin ( we ), wu umun ika ( that are ika people), a hunkor ( will not see) uya ( sufferring),jen kor de gi enyin ( that will ) gbe( clean or hit ) ali ( ground/earth).
ha ( from) iyetor ( foundation or base) gbepuha ( uplift or bring out) uwaya( to the roads/ road)
iseh ( amen)

God will trouble all the people troubling ika people,
they will meet with evil and disastrous consequencies that will not leave them,
from generation to generation,
they will cry a regretful cry,and evil spirits will prevent their happiness and good things,
if they are outside in their compounds or on the street roads ,they will not be able to gather themselves and reach a meaninful conclusion we ika people will not see things that will send us to an ungrateful people,because an ungrateful peson is not good,but should they leave ika people alone, they will receive good blessings that will surround them,we that are ika people will not experience suffering that will use us to scrub the floor,from our foundation to the open road.
if you look at the above statements ,you will find igbo words and other benin / non igbo words that is how our language is strung.- we can say -dodo anilem kwan uya- please dont le me suffer,
ya okpoho hun no gwa nwan ya whari imughe,makeni ulakpa choni we gi egan keniegbun--------------------the woman asked her child to hide inside the house ,because the police wanted to use handcuffs on him
okenyeni ya talor gwom, bihiam ni me wen asaka yime oro ,--------------this man stop spreading rumours about me , leave me alone as i cannot shout.
bia ni neyin huhume aza a hi ogua idumu, ni we kokome ,makeni eregeden eje ihian ohu ni lalani---------come lets use ring bell to call a meeting of the village,so that we can gather because of a very bad person that is coming

4. we can also say dodo anilem
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ezeagu(m): 8:48pm On Aug 22, 2011
ChinenyeN:

It's not necessarily what Agbotaen wrote, but how he wrote it. Standardized grammar isn't widespread for Nigerian languages. So, some/most people just tend to write however they like. Agbotaen's writing obviously shows no recognizable grammar construction. It's just all over the place. If I did the same thing with Ngwa (wrote it however way I felt like it), I'm sure some of my own Ngwa people wouldn't even bother trying to read what I wrote.

Plus Ika apparently has it's own standard (although Standard Igbo is taught in schools), probably because it's so much more tonal so without the accents it's hard to understand.

agbotaen:

3. let  me  dissect the  sentences  ----------------
  oselobue-  GOD   jen ko da ( will or is going  to )  kpokpo( to trouble or give trouble)
   ndi ( the people) ile ( all) rie ( that is )
    kpokponi ( troubling ) enyin ( us) wu( that) ,

Just from the first sentence, I would have wrote it: Oselobue, jen kọ da kpokpo (I don't know what this is) ndi'lé rì é (isn't it rì á in this sentence?) kpokponi enyin . . . .

In something similar to standard Igbo it would be, Chineke, ga chụ/kpasu/megbu(?) ndi'le nè megbu anyi. . .
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by PhysicsQED(m): 1:09am On Aug 23, 2011
Ogbuefi, nwanne (did I get that right?  grin ) bia (?) back to this thread if you're still reading. I have a response coming up tomorrow for your statements and some parts of it are scathing. I would hate for you to not give a response after the exposure and rejoinder that I'm going to deliver.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ChinenyeN(m): 4:48am On Aug 23, 2011
ezeagu:

Plus Ika apparently has it's own standard (although Standard Igbo is taught in schools), probably because it's so much more tonal so without the accents it's hard to understand.
Yeah, I'm not surprised. Such was bound to happen, in my opinion.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by sonya4all(m): 12:18pm On Aug 23, 2011
Hi@chi,d only unbiased igbo man i recognice here,its been a while, Thanks agbonten,4 keepin d strugle 4 d emancipation of d ika nation from the possesive and ( ever ready to claim any gud thing) igbo(n)s, Like i hav always said,no amount of coercion can make any true ika,claim to be igbo, Peace out.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Abagworo(m): 12:37pm On Aug 23, 2011
@sonya.take your *ss away from here or make a contribution.

Most people are here to share knowledge and not to write rubbish.Ika is not under anybody's supression to need emancipation.We all recognize our differences but where I will always fall out with anyone is declaring every other person that speaks the same language Igbo and claiming difference while unable to say that which is peculiar only to his supposed group.

Eg1) what is the difference between Ika,Onitsha and Ezza?

2) Why did agbotaen classify Onitsha and Ezza as Igbo while Ika is different?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ChinenyeN(m): 8:30pm On Aug 23, 2011
Sonya & Agbotaen:

Abagworo is correct. In all of this talk about not being Igbo, you have failed to give any reason why others are Igbo, and that is the main problem people have with the whole "Ika is not Igbo" thing.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by vicenzo(m): 8:47pm On Aug 23, 2011
Na wa o! Una still dey here!
No biggie abt agbotaen ika,i believe that if an izzi man do the same,non of us would be able to interprete it all,this is common in igboland,but nobody have heard the izzi saying they are not igbo,i can read igbo language,but i ve been finding it difficult read most of the ngwa,chineye uses as his signature.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 8:12pm On Aug 24, 2011
1. i have always said ika people have varying languages , we often here each other ,but some times meanings and use of words are different, if an abavo man speaks it will be slightly different from an umunede or at the extreme a person from mbiri or igbodo.
2. i have not classified any body as igbo, i dont know who is igbo or who is not , all i know is who is ika and who is not.
3. it was the british that brought many tribes in nigeria under one umbrella, so its more political, lets say 200 years ago , all we have was just kingdoms and empires , so when the british came people now decided to become igbo or hausa or bini or ishan , according to where they think they will be favoured politically , so they did form this rigid tribal basis in nigeria , and every group has the right and freedom to align with any group , just like anioma was conceived in 1951 , right now we have many people who think anioma has existed since eternity .
4. people come together with people they think they have things in common with , the vast majority of ika , have seen the various things that tie them together ,and they are one unit , and we are not interested in joining any major group, we are just our own people and we are ika.which some people are not happy about.
5. as an owa/ ika man , i have never denied that there are igbo migrations or igbo culture in ika , so also i cannever deny our deep bini connections , infact that is why we are the land of east meets west.
6. the egun people in lagos speak a different language from standard yoruba but they decided to be called yoruba that is their business, isoko speaks a close language to uhrobo , but they decided to be isoko, ishan speaks close language to bini , but they decided to be called ishan, itsekiri speaks a mix of yoruba and edo , but they decided to be itsekiris neither yoruba or bini, so also ika people speak a mix of igbo,bini and some ishan and we decided we are ikas, and that is strictly our business.

(1) (2) (3) ... (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) ... (111)

Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here / Complaints And Notice Thread. Be Serious!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.