Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,365 members, 7,819,315 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:15 PM

Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. - Culture (55) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. (244691 Views)

Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? / Delta Igbo,bendel Igbo,ikwerre Igbo,do They Really Matter To The Igbo Nation? / Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) ... (111) (Go Down)

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:24am On Jul 26, 2012
bright007: oh!this is really pathetic.what does it feel like to be d only GAY ALBINO from imo state?Do u think u can intimidate me;u this mentally-deranged nincompoop.
Go back in history and see where u descended from.
Or don't u know u descended from humans with homo habilis behavioural organisation and thinking faculty?Even when groups like the Yorubas,Hausas,Edos built highly centralised states and government that can be compared with the one built by d slavemasters,ur ancestors where still in d bush reasoning with monkeys and shouting 'amu" 'amu'
Thank God for Bishop Ajayi Crowther who brought out d bushman mentality in ur ancestors and helped built schools and organise ur language.
Now u come here and blab with ur bucal cavity of Ika being igbo.Ika will never be associated with cannibalistic elements who see themselves as å lost tribe of Isreal( if u go to Isreal and claim this,I bet u will not live to give d testimony)
Don't bother replying me cos u don't stand å chance.
Great Ika for life.

There is nothing you say in this thread that will ever make to believe that you are "Ika Igbo". Aside your childish insults that reveal the level of reasoning you posses you havent done much to impress on me that you are not a self hating,insecure,weak,ignorant of the history of the Ika Igbo whom you claim you are one of and above all ignorant of the Igbo whom you think you are disgracing.

1. Igbo are an egalitarian society hence they dont believe in worshiping a fellow man in the name of "king". However, Nri developed a very influencial socio-religious kingdom whose hegemony spread all over Igbo land,Igala land and Bini land but I dont expect you to know this because you are a dunce.

2. Bishop Ajayi Crowther never built schools in Igboland and he never contributed in organizing anything but his new found religion to Igboland but again I dont expect you to know this because you are a latent dullard.

3.You are a bastaard and its legit too. Why? Because he who doesnt know the road to his fathers house is a bassstard. Have you ever asked you little brain why Ika kings are addressed as "Obi" instead of "Oba" like the bini whom you claim you have more of their elements in you? ??

4. Have you wondered why Ika kings and titled men dresses more like the Igbo than the Bini ? Example is the famous "okpu nmee" which your kings wear with so much pride.

5.Have you wondered why Ika dialect was termed an Igbo dialect instead of Bini dialect since 70% of your Ika words were borrowed from Bini like you claimed.

6. Have you wondered why Ika man will instantly understand Anambra Igbo when we speak even though he has never interacted with them before hand but cant understand the Bini who you claimed you borrowed 70% of your language from.

You see,you ran into this thread throwing tantrums like you actually have a point but you dont have any idea who you are. Have you ever sat down and ask yourself what makes one an Igbo? Agbotaen is a Bini of Ika extraction hence he has no connection with the original and bonafide owner of Ikaland which are the Nri who settled into the land first and established a culture that even the Binis shared from. You are busy to jump into the bandwagon with Agbotaen but you played dumb to the posts that were delivered by ppl like Ezeagu,Ogbuefi and co. And you also ignored the part where the Obi of owa said that their origin is Nri. You came here insulting the Igbo forgeting that the Igbo created Ikaland and is still ruling it ! When i speak Igbo an Ika man understands me but I cant understand him. Simply,Ika are Igbo who had a very strong Bini influence but it wasnt strong enough to change who they are. Go and research about your history and do it with plain mind and you will find the truth else you keep wallowing in ignorance like you are already doing. You came here to insult the Igbo who are proud of who they are but you arent even proud enough to say you are from Ika but Lagos. And why do Bini ppl call you "Ovie Igbo" if they are trully your kins and this is the same ppl who has been your neighbor for centuries and know you inside out. You are a shameless woman not because of the baseless insults you are raining on Igbo here but because you are ignorant of whom you are.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by PhysicsQED(m): 12:48am On Jul 26, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:
However, Nri developed a very influencial socio-religious kingdom whose hegemony spread all over Igbo land,Igala land and Bini land but I dont expect you to know this because you are a dunce.

Agbotaen is a Bini of Ika extraction hence he has no connection with the original and bonafide owner of Ikaland which are the Nri who settled into the land first and established a culture that even the Binis shared from.

Look, I understand why you would want to counter this guy's claims, but in the process of doing so, stop repeating dumb claims by pseudo-scholars and trying to pass them off as reasonable. It's annoying. Edo (Bini) people don't have any part in this debate over what Ika decide to identify as since those who are Bini know themselves and those who don't know whether they are Bini or not are not Bini.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Abagworo(m): 2:06am On Jul 26, 2012
This argument has lingered for too long. To cut it short let whoever is interested purchase this book "Perspectives on Owa kingship and kingdom" by Efeizomor II (Obi of Owa). The Obi has written and published the book and it cannot be tampered with or claimed to be written by "Igbos". From his view Owa Kingship is rooted in Nri while the dialect is a mix of Owerri and Afikpo with few Benin words.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by OdenigboAroli(m): 2:56am On Jul 26, 2012
Abagworo: This argument has lingered for too long. To cut it short let whoever is interested purchase this book "Perspectives on Owa kingship and kingdom" by Efeizomor II (Obi of Owa). The Obi has written and published the book and it cannot be tampered with or claimed to be written by "Igbos". From his view Owa Kingship is rooted in Nri while the dialect is a mix of Owerri and Afikpo with few Benin words.

How did you come to the conclusion that Igbo dalects spoken in Ika was that of "owerri" and "afikpo" ? At the same time you pointed out that "Owa" kingship is rooted in " Nri" ! Sounds contradictory to me. I know your motive anyways....You are a piece of work.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ChinenyeN(m): 3:57am On Jul 26, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli: How did you come to the conclusion that Igbo dalects spoken in Ika was that of "owerri" and "afikpo" ? At the same time you pointed out that "Owa" kingship is rooted in " Nri" ! Sounds contradictory to me. I know your motive anyways....You are a piece of work.

sigh...

Abagworo: This argument has lingered for too long. To cut it short let whoever is interested purchase this book "Perspectives on Owa kingship and kingdom" by Efeizomor II (Obi of Owa). The Obi has written and published the book and it cannot be tampered with or claimed to be written by "Igbos". From his view Owa Kingship is rooted in Nri while the dialect is a mix of Owerri and Afikpo with few Benin words.

Clearly, it isn't Abagworo's conclusion.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Abagworo(m): 5:16am On Jul 26, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

How did you come to the conclusion that Igbo dalects spoken in Ika was that of "owerri" and "afikpo" ? At the same time you pointed out that "Owa" kingship is rooted in " Nri" ! Sounds contradictory to me. I know your motive anyways....You are a piece of work.

Not my view though. If you read the book you will understand better. The 1st migrations seems to have happened earlier and kind of retained the proto-Igboid parent language which was observed to be closely related to Afikpo and Owerri.

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by AndreUweh(m): 11:34am On Jul 26, 2012
@Chinenye, what is your reason to sigh at Odenigbo's contribution?.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ChinenyeN(m): 12:19pm On Jul 26, 2012
Andre Uweh: @Chinenye, what is your reason to sigh at Odenigbo's contribution?.
It strongly suggests that he did not even take the time to actually read Abagworo's words, and that he jumped unnecessarily.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by AndreUweh(m): 6:45pm On Jul 26, 2012
ChinenyeN:
It strongly suggests that he did not even take the time to actually read Abagworo's words, and that he jumped unnecessarily.
Not neccessary at all.
Agbontaen has done worse here yet you hardly sigh. What he wrote to day will he repeat 2morrow yet you don't sigh.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ChinenyeN(m): 7:49pm On Jul 26, 2012
Andre Uweh: Not neccessary at all.
Agbontaen has done worse here yet you hardly sigh. What he wrote to day will he repeat 2morrow yet you don't sigh.
I don't see how you can honestly believe that Agbotaen has done worse. He only posts in response to others, and unlike many here, he does not spend time attempting to deride anyone in his posts. He only posts to defend his Ika from what he perceives as insults to his cultural identity. He has not slandered anyone, neither has he attempted to mock anyone. He has never even been on the offensive.

To add to it, I don't know anything about Ika. So, it isn't my place to attempt to correct Agbotaen. Technically and objectively speaking, Agbotaen has not done anything even remotely wrong, not to even talk of "worse" (as you want to call it). So you can't expect me to sigh at Agbotaen, unless you care to tell me what exactly I should be sighing at.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by AndreUweh(m): 7:54pm On Jul 26, 2012
^^
How about the lady who is from Lagos later Ika and insulted Ndigbo without stopping?. Did you not read her posts?. Or it is okay to insult Igbo people.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ChinenyeN(m): 7:59pm On Jul 26, 2012
What does the lady's behavior have to do with what we're talking about, being your claim that Agbotaen has done "worse"?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 8:19pm On Jul 26, 2012
1. one thing that amazes`me` is the uncommon ability of an average man to tell lies and to be a propaganda machine,or are you not aware that in the book of our obi that you igbo people like to quote that he wrote that biafra` declared him dead or alive as a wanted man because of his efforts to push biafra out of ika land and owa in particular, and are you not aware that biafra met her waterloo in ikaland as majority of ika people did not support the igbos.
2. in that same book that you like quoting in which the obi said owa has nri partern ,he also said `owa has bini paterns ,and if you are looking for a` complete history of owa ,please go to owa royal palace and get ndiowa and her monarch published in 1999,it is the official book on owa history and you can enter www.ndiowa.com and get a better knowledge on owa history.
3. the britsh in 1913 and 1930 also wrote intelligence report on owa about the` fACT THAT owa has both edo and igbo culture .but we as owa people know that the bini came first because their culture is more older in owa kingdom
4. many igbo people here have never been to owa or any part of ika land` so why all this lies and average ika man calls the igbo man igb----, i will not complete this word.
5. one funny igbo character even said i am not an original owa person that we are recent comers in owa , well to clear your doubts and ignorance i am a descendant of obi igbedigi the second obi of owa , and i belong to the lineage of omigie ,osuhon and ibiuzugbe ,who are princes from the obis line and my ancestors founded idumu-ezomor village in owa oyibu headquarters of owa kingdom.
6. the official regalier of the obi of owa and her chiefs are all tied to bini and not nri as the original founders of owa were from ikoha in ovia in benin led by adagba and ugbasogun and others.
7. owa chiefs bear bini titles as our kings also bear bini names , and i hope you are aware that efeizomor the name of our obi is a bini name .
8. for those who claim to know how owa people speak , please write 10 sentences in owa dialect and lets see , at best what you will write is pure igbo , which is not ika or owa language.
9. i am not bini and i have never claimed to be bini , but to tell me i am igbo is an insult as i am` a full blooded ika man ,and we do not say we are ika igbo as most igbo propagandists say we are ika.
10. majority of ika people avoid igbos like a plague and there is nothing that will make an ika to become igbo.
11.yes anioma started some 50 plus years ago , but i did not claim anioma as my nationality but ika is` my nationality.and for your information igbo nation is not up to 200 years ,and it is an invention of european missionaries who lumped up many people and communities who spoke similar language and had near cultures as igbo ,they also formed the standard igbo language used today , so anioma also came together because of nearness of culture and language and other factors.
12. at no point in history were ika people part of igbo nation.
13. onu wu igbo wu oseka le ozuor ,
` uhuki ke gi onu gbe akpakali,
ojuwu ani kor onu hun ihien izegbe le ukpe oselobue,
onu kpa ,onu abuoyiya no ke ohuhu azaha,
ebi ebi ke onu ghe gbe , iseh
this is owa language and we know the meaning .
ika people have independent spirit and we have maintained our culture for over 1000 years, any attempt by igbo propagandist to grab ika land will meet with the 1966 treatment when our fathers sent the biafrans packing.,
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bright007(f): 9:25pm On Jul 26, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

There is nothing you say in this thread that will ever make to believe that you are "Ika Igbo". Aside your childish insults that reveal the level of reasoning you posses you havent done much to impress on me that you are not a self hating,insecure,weak,ignorant of the history of the Ika Igbo whom you claim you are one of and above all ignorant of the Igbo whom you think you are disgracing.

1. Igbo are an egalitarian society hence they dont believe in worshiping a fellow man in the name of "king". However, Nri developed a very influencial socio-religious kingdom whose hegemony spread all over Igbo land,Igala land and Bini land but I dont expect you to know this because you are a dunce.

2. Bishop Ajayi Crowther never built schools in Igboland and he never contributed in organizing anything but his new found religion to Igboland but again I dont expect you to know this because you are a latent dullard.

3.You are a bastaard and its legit too. Why? Because he who doesnt know the road to his fathers house is a bassstard. Have you ever asked you little brain why Ika kings are addressed as "Obi" instead of "Oba" like the bini whom you claim you have more of their elements in you? ??

4. Have you wondered why Ika kings and titled men dresses more like the Igbo than the Bini ? Example is the famous "okpu nmee" which your kings wear with so much pride.

5.Have you wondered why Ika dialect was termed an Igbo dialect instead of Bini dialect since 70% of your Ika words were borrowed from Bini like you claimed.

6. Have you wondered why Ika man will instantly understand Anambra Igbo when we speak even though he has never interacted with them before hand but cant understand the Bini who you claimed you borrowed 70% of your language from.

You see,you ran into this thread throwing tantrums like you actually have a point but you dont have any idea who you are. Have you ever sat down and ask yourself what makes one an Igbo? Agbotaen is a Bini of Ika extraction hence he has no connection with the original and bonafide owner of Ikaland which are the Nri who settled into the land first and established a culture that even the Binis shared from. You are busy to jump into the bandwagon with Agbotaen but you played dumb to the posts that were delivered by ppl like Ezeagu,Ogbuefi and co. And you also ignored the part where the Obi of owa said that their origin is Nri. You came here insulting the Igbo forgeting that the Igbo created Ikaland and is still ruling it ! When i speak Igbo an Ika man understands me but I cant understand him. Simply,Ika are Igbo who had a very strong Bini influence but it wasnt strong enough to change who they are. Go and research about your history and do it with plain mind and you will find the truth else you keep wallowing in ignorance like you are already doing. You came here to insult the Igbo who are proud of who they are but you arent even proud enough to say you are from Ika but Lagos. And why do Bini ppl call you "Ovie Igbo" if they are trully your kins and this is the same ppl who has been your neighbor for centuries and know you inside out. You are a shameless woman not because of the baseless insults you are raining on Igbo here but because you are ignorant of whom you are.
Odenigbo Aroli:

ouch!ouch!how it hurts to find d truth.
I will try as much as possible to address your ignorance on specific things u don't know as an igbo.
(1)The "Obi"or "Eze" title as used in igboland today was not part of d igbo culture nor can it be traced back in history before d british came.
When d British could not find å man of authority who they would use in their indirect rule system in igboland,they decided to create å"man of authority"by appointing certain individuals (such as those who assisted d british in their of d towns and villages and in some cases,messengers and carriers to british invading forces)in d society as "kings".these appointees were given government paper of authority "warrant" and made to preside over the affairs of their communities and were known as "warrant chiefs".These "warrant chiefs" in later years metamorphosed into Eze and Obi.If one looks closely,one would find dat some of the so-called Obi,Eze and red-capped chiefs in igboland today are progeny of warrant chiefs appointed by the British in their years of exploitation of Nigeria.
So if Ika decides to use Obi as å title for her King,its mere influence during d British era and not because Ika are Igbos.copy that?

(2)I see that you don't know more than your fingers as per the history of where u claim.
Let me give u å brief history.
In 1844, the CMS mission led by Revd Samuel Ajayi Crowther and Rwvd Townsend arrived Abeokuta to begin missionary work.While Crowther settled in Ake,Townsend settled at Igbekun where each of then built å mission house,å church and å school.(Fanfuwa 1975).
In 1858,Samuel Crowther moved to the eastern part of Nigeria and settled in Onitsha where he built å school for girls as d boys in d area according to him were not interested in school but instead,according to him "like to move about in plantations with bows and bamboos pointed arrows in their hands to hunt for birds,lizards,rats all day long without success but now and then,half å dozen or more would rush into d school and proudly gaze at d alphabet board and with an air of disdain mimic d names of d letters as pronounced by d schoolmasters and repeated by d girls as if it were å thing only fit for female"
Lesson:When u don't know something,LEARN instead of arguing like an He-Goat on å spell.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Ngodigha1(m): 10:19pm On Jul 26, 2012
bright007: ouch!ouch!How it hurts to find out the truth.
You are å very big fool without inquiry.
No need arguing with you cause u couldn't raise å standard against the facts in earlier post.
Just do me å favour:ask your great grand father or any of ur family member that experienced d nigerian civil war to tell you how many of your family members sacrificed their flesh as food in order for å retardeen like u to be born.
Bunch of cannibals!
Hi Anuxwax, what do you Aszbitchy clown gain by asz gobbin all the time. Why can't you aszhole get a life instead of displaying idiocy here. Go back to your hotel room, fuckiiing cocksuckiing LovePeddler.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by orufe: 10:28pm On Jul 26, 2012
bright007: ouch!ouch!how it hurts to find d truth.
I will try as much as possible to address your ignorance on specific things u don't know as an igbo.
(1)The "Obi"or "Eze" title as used in igboland today was not part of d igbo culture nor can it be traced back in history before d british came.
When d British could not find å man of authority who they would use in their indirect rule system in igboland,they decided to create å"man of authority"by appointing certain individuals (such as those who assisted d british in their of d towns and villages and in some cases,messengers and carriers to british invading forces)in d society as "kings".these appointees were given government paper of authority "warrant" and made to preside over the affairs of their communities and were known as "warrant chiefs".These "warrant chiefs" in later years metamorphosed into Eze and Obi.If one looks closely,one would find dat some of the so-called Obi,Eze and red-capped chiefs in igboland today are progeny of warrant chiefs appointed by the British in their years of exploitation of Nigeria.
So if Ika decides to use Obi as å title for her King,its mere influence during d British era and not because Ika are Igbos.copy that?

(2)I see that you don't know more than your fingers as per the history of where u claim.
In 1844, the CMS mission led by Revd Samuel Ajayi Crowther and Rwvd Townsend arrived Abeokuta to begin missionary work.While Crowther settled in Ake,Townsend settled at Igbekun where each of then built å mission house,å church and å school.(Fanfuwa 1975).
In 1858,Samuel Crowther moved to the eastern part of Nigeria and settled in Onitsha where he built å school for girls as d boys in d area according to him were not interested in school but instead,according to him "like to move about in plantations with bows and bamboos pointed arrows in their hands to hunt for birds,lizards,rats all day long without success but now and then,half å dozen or more would rush into d school and proudly gaze at d alphabet board and with an air of disdain mimic d names of d letters as pronounced by d schoolmasters and repeated by d girls as if it were å thing only fit for female"
Lesson:When u don't know something,LEARN instead of arguing like an He-Goat on å spell.
You bore me anytime I come to this thread. Since one year now, you have not added anything new, either repeating what you wrote earlier or going about what even kids in primary school knows already. Why not quit the thread as you are not capable of bring any thing interesting. Do you not feel ashamed. What you have been arguing here for 1 year now is what Ogbuefi did within weeks. This is the first time am witnessing an ikaman without shame. Ugly really.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bright007(f): 10:51pm On Jul 26, 2012
Ngodigha1:
Hi Anuxwax, what do you Aszbitchy clown gain by asz gobbin all the time. Why can't you aszhole get a life instead of displaying idiocy here. Go back to your hotel room, fuckiiing cocksuckiing LovePeddler.
To all d deluded Israelis in d house and this GAY-ALBINO up there:
I know more about your history than your great grand fathers in d grave.The more u provoke me,the more I tell u more of your ugly history.
Lool at that fool talking about "Obi" as å title!
Where were ur Obi's and Eze's when Obas $ Emirs built strong knigdoms and governments?
The British appointed warrant cheifs over u and u changed it to Obi and Eze and u come here blabbing.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Ngodigha1(m): 11:03pm On Jul 26, 2012
bright007:
I know more about your history than your great grand fathers in d grave.The more u provoke me,the more I tell u more of your ugly history.
Where were ur Obi's and Eze's when Obas $ Emirs built strong knigdoms and governments?
The British appointed warrant cheifs over u and u changed it to Obi and Eze and u come here blabbing.
Mother-phucking biatch, what is my own with obi or eze, what I have for you is to remind you that you are an phucking dirty wrench.
Go back to your hotel room, fatasz LovePeddler.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Abagworo(m): 11:10pm On Jul 26, 2012
bright007:

Be careful the way you thread. That "you" is it in reference to the entire Igbo nation or a particular section? Igbo is too diverse to be generalized. Obi, Igwe and Eze were Igbo words for royalty and divinity from pre-history. The problem that less exposed people have is that they sit down in their enclave and live in a world of their own. Try to be friendly and take a journey to Afikpo and listen to them speak, then you will be amazed. This is nothing to throw insults for.

I do not have any issues with ethnicity one chooses but do not ignorantly assume or lie to substantiate. After all the Ika, Igbo and whatever are nothing but a very recent identity taken by our immediate great grandparents. Ethnicity has more to do with "consciousness" than merely language and cultural practice.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bright007(f): 11:39pm On Jul 26, 2012
Abagworo:

Be careful the way you thread. That "you" is it in reference to the entire Igbo nation or a particular section? Igbo is too diverse to be generalized. Obi, Igwe and Eze were Igbo words for royalty and divinity from pre-history. The problem that less exposed people have is that they sit down in their enclave and live in a world of their own. Try to be friendly and take a journey to Afikpo and listen to them speak, then you will be amazed. This is nothing to throw insults for.

I do not have any issues with ethnicity one chooses but do not ignorantly assume or lie to substantiate. After all the Ika, Igbo and whatever are nothing but a very recent identity taken by our immediate great grandparents. Ethnicity has more to do with "consciousness" than merely language and cultural practice.
Bros,titles are created to be bestowed on people
If Obi,Eze,Igwe where words used to depict royalty from prehistory as u claim:Then I would like u to give me some specific and notable examples of places in igboland where it was used and the name of d king in these Pre-historic times.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bright007(f): 11:59pm On Jul 26, 2012
Abagworo:

Be careful the way you thread. That "you" is it in reference to the entire Igbo nation or a particular section? Igbo is too diverse to be generalized. Obi, Igwe and Eze were Igbo words for royalty and divinity from pre-history. The problem that less exposed people have is that they sit down in their enclave and live in a world of their own. Try to be friendly and take a journey to Afikpo and listen to them speak, then you will be amazed. This is nothing to throw insults for..
Like other groups in nigeria,d igbo group is diverse.But my post above refers to å larger percent of d igbo nation as it was known then( not now).The igbo nation as it was in pre-colonial times was composed of å group of acephalous,segmentary and fragmentary people.There were no centralised government known.There were no professional historians as there were in Benin and Oyo.Equivalent of Oba,Alafin and Emir were missing in MOST part of igboland
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:11am On Jul 27, 2012
ChinenyeN:

sigh...

Clearly, it isn't Abagworo's conclusion.

So,out of the whole right up I posted the only thing you deemed fit to address is the kind of Igbo spoken by the Ika ? Do
you believe Ajayi Crowther introduced education to " Ngwas" like she pointed out? ? You dont know anything about Ika but I am sure you know how education got to your fathers land and you dare call what "Antivirus" wrote "rubbish" ?? You dont ever wanna know how I feel about ppl like you!
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Abagworo(m): 12:49am On Jul 27, 2012
bright007: Like other groups in nigeria,d igbo group is diverse.But my post above refers to å larger percent of d igbo nation as it was known then( not now).The igbo nation as it was in pre-colonial times was composed of å group of acephalous,segmentary and fragmentary people.There were no centralised government known.There were no professional historians as there were in Benin and Oyo.Equivalent of Oba,Alafin and Emir were missing in MOST part of igboland

Most things in this world do not originate at the same time but are acquired and molded into our different versions. Even the Yorubas were never known as Yoruba. There was no Igbo nation and no particular trait that characterized it as you seem to believe. Agbor and Owa saw themselves differently and so did Aboh and Onitsha. The groups which were later regarded as Igbos mainly because of similarity in language comprised of people who had influence from different cultures and behaved differently. However the colonial years saw the molding process of various Nigerian groups for the purpose of political relevance and Ika your ethnic group was very elastic because of the inter-mingling of different cultures but while some leaders felt embracing the Igbo identity would make them relevant, others felt it would drown the uniqueness of your culture hence the divide in some calling themselves Igbos and others rejecting it. It was same across various Igbo clans until the civil war finally shaped things up. The reality is that Igbo is still in the same process of ethnic formation up till this day because of our loose nature. I believe whole heartedly in the Igbo project but what some of my fellow Igbos have failed to notice is that we have not formed yet. An Ngwa man can get up one day just like Ikwerre and decide not to be part of the Igbo and cite enough reasons why he is unique and differs greatly from others. Same applies to Abiriba, Ndoki, Owerri or Onitsha. It is same with Ika. If you go through this thread you will notice some bonafide Ika who believe in being Igbo and still cite their own reasons.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ChinenyeN(m): 1:57am On Jul 27, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli: So,out of the whole right up I posted the only thing you deemed fit to address is the kind of Igbo spoken by the Ika ? Do
you believe Ajayi Crowther introduced education to " Ngwas" like she pointed out? ? You dont know anything about Ika but I am sure you know how education got to your fathers land and you dare call what "Antivirus" wrote "rubbish" ?? You dont ever wanna know how I feel about ppl like you!

I want you to take a step back and view the nature of her posts. Does it in any way resemble someone remotely interested learning from you? Does it in any way resemble someone who might actually care about the knowledgeable contribution you have been making?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by OdenigboAroli(m): 2:32am On Jul 27, 2012
ChinenyeN:

I want you to take a step back and view the nature of her posts. Does it in any way resemble someone remotely interested learning from you? Does it in any way resemble someone who might actually care about the knowledgeable contribution you have been making?

The best move for you will be to address the blunders she has commited but if your correction is not taken then you will leave her to keep bickering. Simple as that and not to choose a tiny piece of what I wrote and make mockery of it. You need to drop that attitude,seriouslly.
This girl obviouslly came here with lots of hate in her but kf you ignore her like most of us has done outsiders will start thinking that rubbish she wrote was a "FACT" and tomorow some ignorant fool will come here and tell us that Ajayi Crowther introduced education to us!
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by OdenigboAroli(m): 2:46am On Jul 27, 2012
bright007: ouch!ouch!how it hurts to find d truth.

So,are you saying ajayi crowther introduced education to us? I want to be sure of the point you are trying to make before I swing into hardcore facts! You see,I addressed every point you made here,exhaustivelly but you havent replied the question I threw at you.
Odenigbo Aroli:

You came over here throwing insults and making ignorant statements but when you were presented with shocking facts you cowed out and resorted to your best tactics "weak line of interaction" aka insults.
Let me repeat some; why do Ikas understand Igbo but cant understand Bini even though you claimed 70% of Ika words are Bini ? Why do Bini call you " ovie Igbo" ? Why did language scholars classified Ika as an Igbo dialect

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ChinenyeN(m): 3:00am On Jul 27, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli: The best move for you will be to address the blunders she has commited but if your correction is not taken then you will leave her to keep bickering. Simple as that and not to choose a tiny piece of what I wrote and make mockery of it. You need to drop that attitude,seriouslly.
[b]This girl obviouslly came here with lots of hate [/b]in her but kf you ignore her like most of us has done outsiders will start thinking that rubbish she wrote was a "FACT" and tomorow some ignorant fool will come here and tell us that Ajayi Crowther introduced education to us!
Exactly. The same kind of hate that does not see reason. Ignorant fools will always try to oversabi your peoples culture and history with you. That will not change. All you can do about it is pick and choose what you feel is worth it.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bright007(f): 4:34am On Jul 27, 2012
Abagworo:

Most things in this world do not originate at the same time but are acquired and molded into our different versions. Even the Yorubas were never known as Yoruba. There was no Igbo nation and no particular trait that characterized it as you seem to believe. Agbor and Owa saw themselves differently and so did Aboh and Onitsha. The groups which were later regarded as Igbos mainly because of similarity in language comprised of people who had influence from different cultures and behaved differently. However the colonial years saw the molding process of various Nigerian groups for the purpose of political relevance and Ika your ethnic group was very elastic because of the inter-mingling of different cultures but while some leaders felt embracing the Igbo identity would make them relevant, others felt it would drown the uniqueness of your culture hence the divide in some calling themselves Igbos and others rejecting it. It was same across various Igbo clans until the civil war finally shaped things up. The reality is that Igbo is still in the same process of ethnic formation up till this day because of our loose nature. I believe whole heartedly in the Igbo project but what some of my fellow Igbos have failed to notice is that we have not formed yet. An Ngwa man can get up one day just like Ikwerre and decide not to be part of the Igbo and cite enough reasons why he is unique and differs greatly from others. Same applies to Abiriba, Ndoki, Owerri or Onitsha. It is same with Ika. If you go through this thread you will notice some bonafide Ika who believe in being Igbo and still cite their own reasons.
It is only d igbo group that has this unique feature of fragmentation and segmentation which in part in part added to why they their history seems to be very shallow.
Observing this,one should know that d term "igbo" refers to å group of people tied with d string of similarity in Language only because no other thing can be used to represent d majority of d igbo group esp in pre-historic times but this was not the case as seen in other groups like d Yorubas,Hausas,Edos,etc because there were obvious traits in this groups in pre-colonial times that distinguished them from other people.infact they established great empires that where known even abroad.
It was only d igbo groups(emphasis) that did not have this trait.
It is this same similarity in Language that d igbos want to use in dragging IKA into d igbo nation which IKA strongly resists.This is because the Ika as å group in pre-colonial times were more of an EDO origin than igbo.This can be seen in every aspect of her culture e.g language,names,festival,style of government etc.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bright007(f): 5:04am On Jul 27, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli:

So,are you saying ajayi crowther introduced education to us? I want to be sure of the point you are trying to make before I swing into hardcore facts! You see,I addressed every point you made here,exhaustivelly but you havent replied the question I threw at you.
Well most of d so-called point u made up there were just from your opinion e.g the cultural aspect.So I decided not to respond to them because I term those points "gibberish"

Now going back to what I analysed earlier,
Talking about Å.Crowther bringing education to igboland,I gave u d date,his mission,what happened when he came and his own account of what happened back then.So pls counter this argument with facts and not lip-service

(2)The second point was about d titles depicting royalty in igboland.
I want one of u to give me an example of å notable "Obi", "eze" in pre-colonial times.
This is Because there were Obas,Emirs/sultans before the europeans came,so it was not d British dat appoointed them.
But for the igbos,most of d red-capped chiefs,Obis and other title hoders they have today were the ones appointed as warrant chiefs.Most of them were betrayers of their various groups.They sold their people to d whiteman who in turn appointed them as leaders.The Obis we have today in various parts of igboland are progeny of those appointed by d British.
PLEASE counter this argument with facts and not lip-service.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by OdenigboAroli(m): 11:27am On Jul 27, 2012
CMS was already in Igboland by 1857. Anyway,you are definitely not Ika and I am done with you. You dudnt come here to have a civilized interaction but to throw insults to the Igbo and I am too busy for weak line arguements. I see you are also on other Igbo thread running wild like a loose woman which you have been address with. Well,like someone said, you qre not ready or interested in learning. Your motive here is very clear.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bright007(f): 12:49pm On Jul 27, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli: CMS was already in Igboland by 1857. Anyway,you are definitely not Ika and I am done with you. You dudnt come here to have a civilized interaction but to throw insults to the Igbo and I am too busy for weak line arguements. I see you are also on other Igbo thread running wild like a loose woman which you have been address with. Well,like someone said, you qre not ready or interested in learning. Your motive here is very clear.
Let me bother myself with ur first sentence.
You said CMS was already in igboland by 1857.By who?
You don't just come here and run your mouth as if everyone is å dunce like u.
Revd samuel Ajayi Crowther ŵăš one of d sold salves during d slave era.He was one of d human cargoes in å ship heading for the new world that was intercepted by the British Naval Squadron on d high sea and had its "cargoes" discharged in Freetown.It ŵăš in Freetown dat he was educated and ordained å priest by d Church Missionary Society (CMS) He eventually found his way to Nigeria where he contributed to immensely to d educational and missionary activities in Nigeria.
The CMS mission was led by Ajayi Crowther and Revd Townsend.They first started their missionary work in Abeokuta.At this time your grandfathers were still hunting lizards,rats,snails etc.
It was in 1858 that he moved to d eastern part of Nigeria and settled at Onitsha where he built å school for girls(this was d first FORMAL SCHOOL IN IGBOLAND).He built d school for girls because your grandfathers were not ready to learn(bush mentality was at its peak)
According to him (Ajayi Crowther) "the boys like to move about in plantations with bows and bamboos pointed arrows in their hands to hunt for birds,rats and lizards all day long without success,but now and then.half å dozen or more would rush into d school and proudly gaze at d alphabet board with an air of disdain mimic d names of d letters as pronounced by d school masters and repeated by d girls ,as if it were å thing only fit for females and too much confining to them as free rousers of d field"
(1)It was å yoruba man that introduced formal education to Igboland
(2)The females were d first to be educated in igboland (eastern part of nigeria) and this education was by d CMS mission brought by Revd Ajayi Crowther and Revd Townsend.
This trend is still prevalent today as most male igbos don't like formal education,instead they go into business.Having said this,I would not be taken aback if u sell pirated Cds at Alaba or sell Okrika at Super and maybe u sell spare parts at Ladipo all in lagos.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bright007(f): 12:51pm On Jul 27, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli: CMS was already in Igboland by 1857. Anyway,you are definitely not Ika and I am done with you. You dudnt come here to have a civilized interaction but to throw insults to the Igbo and I am too busy for weak line arguements. I see you are also on other Igbo thread running wild like a loose woman which you have been address with. Well,like someone said, you qre not ready or interested in learning. Your motive here is very clear.
Let me bother myself with ur first sentence.
You said CMS was already in igboland by 1857.By who?
You don't just come here and run your mouth as if everyone is å dunce like u.
Revd samuel Ajayi Crowther ŵăš one of d sold salves during d slave era.He was one of d human cargoes in å ship heading for the new world that was intercepted by the British Naval Squadron on d high sea and had its "cargoes" discharged in Freetown.It ŵăš in Freetown dat he was educated and ordained å priest by d Church Missionary Society (CMS) He eventually found his way to Nigeria where he contributed to immensely to d educational and missionary activities in Nigeria.
The CMS mission was led by Ajayi Crowther and Revd Townsend.They first started their missionary work in Abeokuta.At this time your grandfathers were still hunting lizards,rats,snails etc.
It was in 1858 that he moved to d eastern part of Nigeria and settled at Onitsha where he built å school for girls(this was d first FORMAL SCHOOL IN IGBOLAND).He built d school for girls because your grandfathers were not ready to learn(bush mentality was at its peak)
According to him (Ajayi Crowther) "the boys like to move about in plantations with bows and bamboos pointed arrows in their hands to hunt for birds,rats and lizards all day long without success,but now and then.half å dozen or more would rush into d school and proudly gaze at d alphabet board with an air of disdain mimic d names of d letters as pronounced by d school masters and repeated by d girls ,as if it were å thing only fit for females and too much confining to them as free rousers of d field"
(1)It was å yoruba man that introduced formal education to Igboland
(2)The females were d first to be educated in igboland (eastern part of nigeria) and this education was by d CMS mission brought by Revd Ajayi Crowther and Revd Townsend.
This trend is still prevalent today as most male igbos don't like formal education,instead they go into business.Having said this,I would not be taken aback if u sell pirated Cds at Alaba or sell Okrika at Super and maybe u sell spare parts at Ladipo all in lagos.

(1) (2) (3) ... (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) ... (111)

Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here / Complaints And Notice Thread. Be Serious!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 212
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.