Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,568 members, 7,816,393 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:37 AM

Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. - Culture (86) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. (244477 Views)

Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? / Delta Igbo,bendel Igbo,ikwerre Igbo,do They Really Matter To The Igbo Nation? / Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) ... (111) (Go Down)

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by OneNaira6: 8:41pm On Jul 19, 2013
Idun'oba ehis:

Why is Igboboy and you always talking about somebody bringing problem to you because he says the truth? Are you up to something? It's like you have an ulterior motive or maybe you are just obsessed by the igbos.

Do you see any of us speak on the behalf of ika? No, then do us a favor and don't speak for us. Simple. common sense. Because we refuse to join your stupidity, we must have a motive. Well our motive is we don't want you using us for your BS. Stick your grappy hand in your community.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Idunobaehis(m): 8:46pm On Jul 19, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Suddenly, ukwu, the igbo word for 'big' or 'mighty' which was spelt wrongly by the whites as 'uku' has suddenly become a bini word? So because these cities, Oka spelt as 'Awka', Enugwu spelt 'Enugu', Owere spelt 'Owerri', Onicha spelt 'Onitsha', Okunano was spelt 'Awkunanaw' were spelt wrongly by the whites (because then the standard Igbo spelling orthography hadn't yet been developed), hence they don't deserve to be Igbo towns again, right? Oh I see. They are now Benin words because they deviate from their standard Igbo spellings, right?

I have a delta Igbo friend from Oshimili who bears Ashinze which he told me is their dialect version for Arinze. The usage of Ashi in Ashinze totally belies your outrageous claims of Ashi being a benin word that means Ehi(Chi in Igbo) or whatever. I have never seen the name, 'Ashiedu' before. However, 'Ehiedu' does exist for which 'Chinedu' is its synonym. Ashi is never a complement for Ehi.

The people of Ogwashi Ukwu have it in their history that they are descendants of Nri(Nshi) people. Of course, that same pattern of translation of r for sh in Nri to Nshi still repeats itself in the translation of 'r' in Arinze to 'sh' in Ashinze in Ogwashi Ukwu Igbo. What of Orimili (the name for river in Anambra) and Oshimili (still the same name for river in delta igbo)? The anambra man says 'aru' (body), the delta igbo man says 'ashu', the Nsukka man says 'Eshi'. The r for sh translation continues.

I studied at UNN, Nsukka and the Nsukka people also believe they are descendants of Nri who they also pronounce instead as 'Ishi'. They bear surnames such as 'Onyeishi' (You all must have heard of Sunday Maduka Onyishi the Nsukka man who owns Peace Park company) meaning 'Onye Nri'. Funny how Nri became totally corrupted to 'Ishi'. The same Ishi which the Ogwashi people bear in their village name.

Ogwa is a full Igbo word with its meaning deeply rooted in Igbo.

In case you don't know, the Bini also share similar 4 market day system with the Igbo - Eken, Orie, Aho, Okwo and the Igbo market days are Eke, Orie, Afo/Aho, Nkwo. Can't you see that they borrowed this system from us? Or must the Igbo only be the people that borrow everytime from other tribes, and others don't borrow from us, right? Or you want to slyly overlook that aspect. The Idoma also use the Igbo 4 market days system exactly. Now, if the bini people also use, 'Ukwu', can't it be that they borrowed it from the Igbo instead?

I understand that you feel close to the bini people because you schooled and grew up there. Its totally perfect. I did my secondary school in Owerri though I'm from Anambra and I feel a closeness for Imo people and even speak owerri igbo when I want to. But that shouldn't make me to turn around and renounce my roots. My spoken Igbo is still anambra Igbo all the time all the way, which the owerri people love to hear each time I speak it.

If you say you're not Igbo but Ika, fine. Its your personal belief. No one is forcing you to be Igbo. But don't start dragging the whole delta igbo or Ika into your isolation propaganda. Not every Ika person shares the same views with you. Definitely not the IGBOdo or Ekwuoma people.

Its posible that your Oshimili friend doesnt knw the meanin of his name hence the assumption, cos that's what it is. What does Arinze mean in Igbo. Really want to know.

I think Oshimili is derived from the Ika word Ohimin. They always change the letters "F" and "H" in Ika words to "SH" to form their own version but wit same meaning examples include oHimi to oSHimili, okpoHo to okpoSHo, but some simply say Okpoho, eHi to aSHi, aFia to aSHia, oFia to oSHia e.t.c they also change "L" to "R" eg. IRoRo to iLoLo etc. I wil add more if you want.
What is the meaning of ogwa in igbo?

On the 4 market days do you know the people that started using it first? We say igbos borowed bini style of kıngship eg. the ada and eben and style of dressing because it started in our very eye few decades ago. Igbos had traditional sword but definitely not the Ada and Eben. It's reserved for people with royal blood. The igbos don't know what it is that why every tom and harry that take a Chieftancy title wil have it. You can't say who borow from who in acculturation that occured before the colonial era because they were not documented, their was no Chinua Achebe to write a novel on igbo culture then and their was no internet or any other means to cache/archive information.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bigfrancis21: 9:16pm On Jul 19, 2013
Idun'oba ehis:

Its posible that your Oshimili friend doesnt knw the meanin of his name hence the assumption, cos that's what it is. What does Arinze mean in Igbo. Really want to know.

I think Oshimili is derived from the Ika word Ohimin. They always change the letters "F" and "H" in Ika words to "SH" to form their own version but wit same meaning examples include oHimi to oSHimili, okpoHo to okpoSHo, but some simply say Okpoho, eHi to aSHi, aFia to aSHia, oFia to oSHia e.t.c they also change "L" to "R" eg. IRoRo to iLoLo etc. I wil add more if you want.

On the 4 market days do you know the people that started using it first? We say igbos borowed bini style of kıngship eg. the ada and eben and style of dressing because it started in our very eye few decades ago. Igbos had traditional sword but definitely not the Ada and Eben. It's reserved for people with royal blood. The igbos don't know what it is that why every tom and harry that take a Chieftancy title wil have it. You can't say who borow from who in acculturation that occured before the colonial era because they were not documented, their was no Chinua Achebe to write a novel on igbo culture then and their was no internet or any other means to cache/archive information.

Hahahaaha. So everything in Igbo culture is now borrowed? Every single word for it? Nothing is inherently Igbo again.

Arinze Chukwu means Thank God. Arinze Chukwu means 'thank God'. This is how its used in statements in Anambra Igbo,
1) 'Arinze Chukwu na Emeka a furo m'. Meaning 'Thank God that Emeka did not see me'.
2) I meelu ofuma. Arinze gi. Meaning, 'you did well. Thank you'

Some dialects say, Ahinze.

Ogwa is a deep Igbo word that means different things based on dialects. Ogwa means settlement generally. It could also mean shrine. In Enugu and Onicha its called 'Ogbe' (village). That is you can say you're from Nkanu. The other person will ask you, 'kee ogbe gi na nkanu?' Meaning, 'what's your village/settlement in Nkanu?' Another common one you hear on the streets of Enugu is, 'Oh guy I batalu ogbe a kemgbe I mero ka m malu?'(Oh guy you enter this area/side since you no do make I know?)

Each dialect may have a name for a particular object that differs from what another dialect calls it. Take for example, leg is called 'okpa' in my dad(Anambra) and mom's(Enugu) dialects but called 'ukwu' in southern igbo and central igbo.

Ogwashi Ukwu means, 'The Great Nri Settlement'.

2 Likes

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by OneNaira6: 9:20pm On Jul 19, 2013
Idun'oba ehis:

what a great insult that the likes of an ika, a common villager, would have the audacity to think anypart of oshimili came from them. I honestly do not blame anyone for the insults every boy and girl continue to throw on us on this forum. what a huge insult.

for those that do not know the meaning of oshimili, it's meaning is River Niger. Some say it used to be part of Aniocha that was later carved out. I personally do not agree with that origin, in my opinion, oshimili was in existence since the beginning of time. Though I believe that, i however, cannot fight the other saying. Anyway like i was saying, after the creation, according to my uncle, our ancestors chose the name due to the close proximity of the river niger to us. The word Oshi and mili is part of the igbo language our ancestors have been using for centuries. oshimili have no bearing to ika, benin or whatever else this man just wrote. please noone pay mind to this 1diot. Thank you to those willing to listen
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bigfrancis21: 9:26pm On Jul 19, 2013
Idun'oba ehis:

Hahahaaha. So everything in Igbo culture is now borrowed? Every single word for it? Nothing is inherently Igbo again.

Arinze Chukwu means Thank God. Arinze only can also mean 'thank God'. This is how the name is used in making statements in Anambra Igbo,
1) 'Arinze Chukwu na Emeka a furo m'. Meaning 'Thank God that Emeka did not see me'.
2) I meelu ofuma. Arinze gi. Meaning, 'you did well. Thank you'. If you watch Igbo language films, you'll hear Osuofia using 'Arinze gi' and 'Arinze Chukwu' a lot.

Some dialects say, Ahinze.

Ogwa is a deep Igbo word that means different things based on dialects. Ogwa means settlement generally. It could also mean shrine. In Enugu and Onicha its called 'Ogbe' (village). That is you can say you're from Nkanu. The other person will ask you, 'kee ogbe gi na nkanu?' Meaning, 'what's your village/settlement in Nkanu?' Another common one you hear on the streets of Enugu is, 'Oh guy I batalu ogbe a kemgbe I mero ka m malu?'(Oh guy you enter this area/side since you no do make I know?)

Each dialect may have a name for a particular object that differs from what another dialect calls it. Take for example, leg is called 'okpa' in my dad(Anambra) and mom's(Enugu) dialects but called 'ukwu' in southern igbo and central igbo.

Ogwashi Ukwu means, 'The Great Nri Settlement'.

Don't forget that Orimili, Oshimili, Ohimini are all dialectical variations and you can't claim oshimili is derived from ohimini in Ika. Oshimili is more closer to Orimili than ohimini, if you follow the common r for sh translations in delta igbo. In southern igbo, the same word is called ohimiri, osimiri, osimini etc. Nsukka people theirs oshimunyi, whereby munyi means water in their dialect. They call water 'munyi' not 'mili' or 'miri'. Ikwerre call theirs 'Osimini'. Now tell me, which is a derivative of the other? There's a place in Abia state where you'll pass when going from owerri to calabar called 'Azumini' meaning 'back of water'. And truly the place is behind a river.

Letter for letter translations are what make a dialect unique in its own way and its usually consistent for that particular dialect.

You can't say who borow from who in acculturation that occured before the colonial era because they were not documented, their was no Chinua Achebe to write a novel on igbo culture then and their was no internet or any other means to cache/archive information.

This guy you make me laugh. You'd have us believe that the Igbo borrowed the so-called 'Ada' and 'Eben', and bini kingship style but you find it hard to swallow that the bini borrowed our 4-market days system, a week system used in virtually EVERY Igbo village in Igboland? Does the massive usage of the 4 market days system throughout Igboland point to it as something that was borrowed recently from bini, even those Igbo villages practicing the 4-day market system that don't have any bini ancestral links? Even the Idoma accept that they borrowed their market day system from the Igbo, yet you find that hard to swallow.

How sure are you that the Igbo people borrowed bini kingship rule and so-called Ada and Eben? Were you there during that period of your so-called acculturation? Was Chinua Achebe alive then to have observed and written to confirm your claims? You make me laugh.

People with their convoluted system of reasoning.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Idunobaehis(m): 10:37pm On Jul 19, 2013
@Bigfrancis
Ika word for river is ohimin and not ohimini. It's same in many Edo related languages.

I can't say if it's the benin that borowed the igbo market days but i know that many igbo what can I cal them kingdoms (though they truely had none) borrowed from benin kingship cos they startet borowing it only recently (after the civil war).
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by pazienza(m): 2:57am On Jul 20, 2013
Idun'oba ehis:
@Bigfrancis
Ika word for river is ohimin and not ohimini. It's same in many Edo related languages.

I can't say if it's the benin that borowed the igbo market days but i know that many igbo what can I cal them kingdoms (though they truely had none) borrowed from benin kingship cos they startet borowing it only recently (after the civil war).

Most Igbo communities had no kings when the white man met us. But that does not mean that we never had kings in the past.

Igbos had tested monarchy in the past and saw that it was indeed a primitive and deficient system of government with a propensity of producing a tyrant,hence they resorted to democracy,and some made room for the wealthy by instituting titles which are very costly to acquire such that the wealthy that acquires such title,loses his financial power and by extension,his political power,but nevertheless,gains prestige. This is a very powerful way of preventing the rise of tyrants and overly powerful persons in the society. Achebe talked about this in that his book: there was a country.

The igbo resentment of monarchy can be seen in ancient igbo names like Ezebilo/Ezebiro, meaning, 'a king is an enemy'. Why would a people who never had kings be talking about a king being an enemy, why should they even have a name for a king? Ezebiro is a testament to how harmful,a tyrant king could be to a society,perhaps, ancient igbo communities had witnessed this firsthand,hence their decision to never concentrate power on one man.

All over igboland, even in igbanke, Eze= king.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by pazienza(m): 3:03am On Jul 20, 2013
The igbos west of the niger,never had the luxury the ones east of the niger had,they had a powerful empire in bini,to defend their territory from, monarchy preference in those communities was as a result of bini threat that they had to deal with.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 4:50am On Jul 20, 2013
One_Naira:

what a great insult that the likes of an ika, a common villager, would have the audacity to think anypart of oshimili came from them. I honestly do not blame anyone for the insults every boy and girl continue to throw on us on this forum. what a huge insult.

for those that do not know the meaning of oshimili, it's meaning is River Niger. Some say it used to be part of Aniocha that was later carved out. I personally do not agree with that origin, in my opinion, oshimili was in existence since the beginning of time. Though I believe that, i however, cannot fight the other saying. Anyway like i was saying, after the creation, according to my uncle, our ancestors chose the name due to the close proximity of the river niger to us. The word Oshi and mili is part of the igbo language our ancestors have been using for centuries. oshimili have no bearing to ika, benin or whatever else this man just wrote. please noone pay mind to this 1diot. Thank you to those willing to listen

I must say how people get confused and this ika people and mind you not all of them are this silly and Benin ASS lickers atleast in oficial ika websites majority of them didn't buy that Benin dummy
I don't blame them but on lack self achievement
You can never see a man like Jim ovia saying. His non igbo and I meant this cos if he categorically said that all I want is a link

My wife used to have this mentality been from ukwuani but when she met my brother wife from oguta that spoke same dialect she now proudly calls herself igbo and takes pride in it

How can an individual say ogwashi ukwu isn't not igbo men this complex is affecting them.... I stay in lagos and I have seen how we are close its only in nairaland that minorities say this

The ika I am not igbo people should go to Benin thread and leave Delta IGBO thread. What are they still claiming here we have heard them and igbos won't lose sleep over them at least ask igbanke people in edo what's up and they will tell you their sorrows

How can person be self hating

2 Likes

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Idunobaehis(m): 9:14am On Jul 20, 2013
If ashi in Ogwashi is not derived from Ehi why then do Ika people call Ogwashi by the name OgwaEhi. An average Ika man doesn't know what ashi means in Aniocha/Oshimili language.

If Ashinze is the Oshimili version of Arinze why then do the Ikas bear Ehinze. Ashinze is the Oshimili version of Ehinze not Arinze. I can give a thousand and one examples of Ika words/names with Ehi which Aniocha/Oshimili people changed to ashi.

If Oshimili is not derived from ohimin why do some part of Aniocha call river oshimin thereby adding S to H.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 9:31am On Jul 20, 2013
One_Naira:

Do you see any of us speak on the behalf of ika? No, then do us a favor and don't speak for us. Simple. common sense. Because we refuse to join your stupidity, we must have a motive. Well our motive is we don't want you using us for your BS. Stick your grappy hand in your community.

This is how men talk and I must confess I admire this .... I love facts my village migrated from aro in IMO state to the present Nnewi south but I can't say I am an aro man but I can confidently say I am Nnewi man same with the man whose family migrated from England to Australia or new Zealand he won't claim British but Australian

Somebody said something about Spain and Portugual yes they have language similarities and they are called iberians or latina same with the dudes from Norway,Sweden and Iceland they are called Scandinavians or norse men

What about the Germans and Austrians, Holland they are collectively called Dutch due to their langages

The yorubas in south west middle belt and even cotonou are called yorubas

Some ika can deny but other tribes , Nigerians and world know them as igbos so they have to live with it

They can differentiate between accent dialect and langage so they suffer identity crisis and please stop twisting history and igbo names and other tribes borrowed also from igbo

The great slave called gustavos. Or olaudah is from aboh in Delta not IMO and in his book he said I am igbo so who said igbo is a colonal term

Shame on those that don't read history here

Too proud to be igbo next world I wll be igbo cos I love it

Who said we never had kings but we had words for kings and chiefs
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bigfrancis21: 10:02am On Jul 20, 2013
tonychristopher:

This is how men talk and I must confess I admire this .... I love facts my village migrated from aro in IMO state to the present Nnewi south but I can't say I am an aro man but I can confidently say I am Nnewi man same with the man whose family migrated from England to Australia or new Zealand he won't claim British but Australian

Somebody said something about Spain and Portugual yes they have language similarities and they are called iberians or latina same with the dudes from Norway,Sweden and Iceland they are called Scandinavians or norse men

What about the Germans and Austrians, Holland they are collectively called Dutch due to their langages

The yorubas in south west middle belt and even cotonou are called yorubas

Some ika can deny but other tribes , Nigerians and world know them as igbos so they have to live with it

They can differentiate between accent dialect and langage so they suffer identity crisis and please stop twisting history and igbo names and other tribes borrowed also from igbo

The great slave called gustavos. Or olaudah is from aboh in Delta not IMO and in his book he said I am igbo so who said igbo is a colonal term

Shame on those that don't read history here

Too proud to be igbo next world I wll be igbo cos I love it

Who said we never had kings but we had words for kings and chiefs

I don't think Olaudah Ekwuano was from Aboh but rather from east of the Niger for several reasons:

1) Two slave ports in Biafra where Igbo slaves were sold are Bonny and Calabar ports. Throughout Ekwuano's account he never made mention of crossing the river niger immediately after he was captured because his slave raiders must have had to carry him from Aboh and cross the river niger and head downwards towards Bonny or Calabar. Instead after he was captured him and his raiders walked and walked miles and miles on land for months and never encountered water. Surely, he would have reported entering a canoe and being ferried across a river(river niger) if he actually did. The only part in his account he mentioned seeing a river was when he got to the slave port at bonny where he sighted the atlantic ocean and huge slave ship.

2) He mentioned that his father was a member of a society for men of his age grade called, 'mgburichi'. I have made some research and discovered that the mgburichi society exists in southern igboland (imo/abia/rivers states). And a village in imo state still exists today called 'mgburichi', along port harcourt road after you pass Obinze and FUTO junction.

3) His village name was Isseke and two villages have been found to bear 'isseke', one in the same Imo state and another in Anambra state.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bigfrancis21: 10:24am On Jul 20, 2013
Idun'oba ehis:
If ashi in Ogwashi is not derived from Ehi why then do Ika people call Ogwashi by the name OgwaEhi. An average Ika man doesn't know what ashi means in Aniocha/Oshimili language.

If Ashinze is the Oshimili version of Arinze why then do the Ikas bear Ehinze. Ashinze is the Oshimili version of Ehinze not Arinze. I can give a thousand and one examples of Ika words/names with Ehi which Aniocha/Oshimili people changed to ashi.

If Oshimili is not derived from ohimin why do some part of Aniocha call river oshimin thereby adding S to H.

Nsukka people say, 'ehinze'. Ebonyi people say, 'ehinze'. Some other people say erinze.

Arinze=Ashinze=Ahinze=Ehinze=Erinze are all dialectical versions of each other.

The ehi in ika's ehinze doesn't mean in this context what 'ehi' means in bini. The ehi is the ika dialectic pronunciation or 'ari' or 'ashi' just like the Nsukka and Ebonyi people I told you about. I thank God that you yourself know that the Nsukka people replace A with E just as the Ika people do too. 'Ahia ka m no' then becomes 'ehia ke m no' in Ika. Ahinze becomes Ehinze in Ika.

Ehi in Ehinze isn't the same with the Ehi in Ehiedu. Ehi in ehiedu is from bini that means what chi means in Igbo. Both ehi in ehinze and ehi in ehiedu are coincidences of two words with different meanings who happen to have the same spelling. And of course, the ika's ehinze in full is ehinze chukwu which shows you that its only a dialectic version of arinze chukwu.

Please do me a favour, go and ask an elder of yours well grounded in the ika dialect what ehinze chukwu means. You'll be shocked to find out that he'll tell you it means 'Thank God'.

Moreover, river in bini is ohinmwin which is definitely not Ika. Stop twisting facts just to suit your delusions.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Idunobaehis(m): 12:04pm On Jul 20, 2013
I was responding to your posts because you were more civil than all those other idiots. But since you have resorted to insults, I ain't gonna give no shit about your posts no more. An igbon must always be an igbon if you like take him to America and dress him in suit, if he gets wet by the rain he will pul his suit and dry it with smoke from firewood even if others are drying theirs in the drying machine, because that is what he's acustomed to. An igbo must always behave like an igbon.

This last time
I said Ohimin is the word for river in most Edo-related languages. Eg. Most Esan dialects call river ohimin. I never said it is the Benin word for river. And if you examine ika's and bini's word for river you wil see similarities. About all those other bulsht you wrote up there I wil not comment on them.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by sonya4all(m): 12:18pm On Jul 20, 2013
Igbon indeed... Ishikee a gu enweh efan..... Dont mind the stupid idiot that brainwashed his slowpoke of a wife.Igbon.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bigfrancis21: 1:16pm On Jul 20, 2013
Please, show me what's insulting in my previous post? That I mentioned 'delusion' is that what's insulting to you? Do you even actually know what delusion means? And you chose to show your true self by raining abuses on me. Now, who's the one insulting who? The same statement I made which you call insult, if I had said it by mouth if we were discussing this issue live, would you have seen it as insult? And if you quickly take offence on a faceless forum like this, then you must really be temperamental in life.

You don't want to reply to ehinze chukwu, why's that? Because in the full glare of evidence, your points all crumbled up. And your type who is bent on believing what he wants, no matter the convincing evidence, will still believe what he wants to believe.

Lolol. Ok, I've heard. You're a bini man. Who cares? What's special about that anyway?

Ika contains over 10,000 igbo words and less than 20 bini words and suddenly it turns around and becomes a bini language instead. So the remaining thousands of igbo words which point to a stronger Igbo ancestry will be crumpled upon and abandoned just because of one or two borrowed bini words?

Abiriba in Abia state that share boundaries with akwa ibom state have borrowed over 20 ibibio words into their dialect such as 'iya' for mother not the usual igbo 'nne', ibibio word for spoon which I don't remember again, etc. Therefore abiriba people are from Ibibio, right? The Arochukwu people have the 'ekpo' masquerade instead of the usual 'mmanwu' masquerade which they borrowed from the Efik style of masquerade called 'ekpo', are now Efik people right? The Nsukka people call high priest, 'attama' which is the Idoma word for high-priest. Therefore, the Nsukka people should renounce their Ishi heritage and claim Idoma ancestry just because of one borrowed word, right?

Because Igbo language has borrowed English words like motor, generator, tyre, we should turn around and say that Igbo people are of English ancestry baa?

Seriously, people should watch their logic and the way they reason.

When two communities of different languages share boundary, there's bound to be an exchange of words between both languages. For example, the Ika-Igbo and Bini/Esan who are two different communities that share boundaries. The presence of words from one language in another doesn't necessarily mean that one group descended from the other.

Evidence is massive that points the Ika to a greater Igbo ancestry than bini. If the original founding Ika people were more bini in numbers than Igbo, how come they speak an Igbo dialect? Don't start with all that 'because we were living close to the igbos', don't delta igbo communities at the boundaries share boundary with urhobo, and ijaw? Why didn't those communities abandon urhobo and ijaw to start speaking Igbo? Evidence shows that there must have been a greater number of igbo-speaking people than bini-speaking people in Ika land since time immemorial that led to the prevalence of igbo language in Ika over bini. Or are you trying to tell me that your bini ancestors were so weak and distasteful of their own bini language that they preferred Igbo over it?

Ika man, your opinion is yours. Of course you don't expect to walk up to Pat Utomi with this error-filled theory of yours and expect him to believe you. Neither would Ngozi Okonjo or her parents who are traditional rulers in Ogwashi Ukwu(also called Ada Igbo), or Ibusa people(Igbo no n'uzo - IgboUzo - anglicized to Ibusa by the white man), or Jay Jay Okocha, or the Ifeajuna family, etc believe you.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 1:29pm On Jul 20, 2013
Idun'oba ehis:
I was responding to your posts because you were more civil than all those other idiots. But since you have resorted to insults, I ain't gonna give no shit about your posts no more. An igbon must always be an igbon if you like take him to America and dress him in suit, if he gets wet by the rain he will pul his suit and dry it with smoke from firewood even if others are drying theirs in the drying machine, because that is what he's acustomed to. An igbo must always behave like an igbon.

Now let's tell our selves the

This last time
I said Ohimin is the word for river in most Edo-related languages. Eg. Most Esan dialects call river ohimin. I never said it is the Benin word for river. And if you examine ika's and bini's word for river you wil see similarities. About all those other bulsht you wrote up there I wil not comment on them.

Can you see how stupid people are ? The worst form of slavery I must say is mental slavery and some unreasonable ika guys. Have shown that and its disgraceful not to them but to people that come from there

Our people say that a mad man never gets ashamed of his conditions but his relatives

I don't give a dickk nor Bleep what these dudes think of themselves cos my small village in Nnewi all the ika towns can't match it up with all their might intellectually and human aspect but why I am discussing this is to make some valid points

I lived in Delta and served in Benin and was born in owerri as you can see I am verse in igbo dialects cos I can speak the most popular dialects easily. Even married an igbo speakng Delta and they made me understand from several occasion that they don't marry edo and prefer marrying onu nuo person

How can somebody claim he is from Benin yet the Benin history has no place for them neither do they understand the language

Atleast the Afrikaans in south Africa speaks a variations of language in Dutch and they are continents apart but this is ika that is just poles apart but doesn't understand Benin but understand central igbo and bear igbo names and do our culture

Its funny but I have checked ika pages and websites whereever ika is mentioned you get igbo mentioned synergically same with whenever ilorin is mentoned you hear yorubas also

Have you ever seen any resonable or popular ika man saying he is not igbo ? I haven't seen or heard even their cultural custodans don't say this cos they know the truth

Those that wll make noise and irrelevant and irresponsible comments are the lowlife the urchins and never do well amongst them seeking for relevance but forgetting. That in igbo cultural milleu relevance comes from hardwork and perseverance

Yes I know that there are fugitives and refugees that migrated from Benin to seek sanctuary in ika igbo but we still have sons of soil not all are sons of descendants of Benin felons

You know them by their names its unfortunate that they have been swallowed and assimlated by our republican culture but that their Benin servitude mentality still there

I don't mind them but their act brings shame to those that bear such names like last civil war and the nigerian girl in this big brother Africa show now

Thank lord ika language is dying and they are tilting to mainstream igbo so let Benin wanna be pls go to Benin land or go to Benin Thread

Ikpu Nne ha
Ishi ari nwo mma
Ndi ARa

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 5:57pm On Jul 20, 2013
1. i dont know why some igbos are so dumb , they are just mere propagandist, i will repeat what i have said again, ika people in their majority rejected being igbo in 1967 , and they assisted the federal troops in expelling your land grabbing igbo biafran brothers out of ika land , end of story.
2. ika language is a combination of edo , plus igbo , plus indegenous language , and as such words are mixed.
3. it is pure fallacy that ika contains 10,000 igbo words and just 20 bini words , igbos make me laugh , do you even understand ika language or you are speaking the popular aniocha igbo language spoken by some ikas as ika language?
4. to debunk you lies let me list some bini/edo words in ika and tell you they over 20 that you said .
5.1. egan- chain /prison
2. okpoho- woman
3, edion or idionma- old man
4. odede - old woman
5. ohainmen- chief
6. ehi- guardian spirit
7. odhigiri- lake
8. aduaran- giant
9. ikeke-bycicle
10. ogo- bottle
11. ihianra- umbrella
12. oselobue- god
13. sakpamaghori- great grand child
14. ogiso- king
15. oje- king
16. oloden - needle
17 , okpan- plate
18. gutter- uroroami
19. ubulukun- skirt
20. izagin- uniform
22. isafin- key
23. isere = otside
24. ogbe -town
25. ugbe-family
26. iboze- family
27. ugbegbe- mirrow
28. igbon- slave
29. ojuwu- satan
30.olokun- god of ocean
32. igue- end of year
33. iselogbe- happy new yeaR
34. IYARE- safe journey
35. dodo- please
36. ogua- palace
37. idumu- village
38. ibiegwa- royal servants
39. nobore- guards
40. ihama- oldest man in a town
41. isafin - key
42. ewaise- traditional doctors
44. owina- nurse
45. igu- tribal marks
46. omodi- small child
47. kada- greeting during eating
48. lakpoma- thank sir /ma
50. ikapata= sturborn
52. ighogho- happinness
53. oyo- joy
54. ukpe or orukpe - light
55. ada- royal cutlass
56. eben - scimitar
57. opia -cutlass
58. uya- suffering
59. ozuor- a fool
60. obuh- native doctor
61. ujobu- chief priest
62. aga-chair
63. ohen or ohenren- priest
64. ezuzu -fan
65. ihian= humaN
66. UWE - wealth
67. iyere- valley
68. oke- hill or mountain
69. oboon -dirty person
70. osian- greedy
71. orogodo- round
72. ikehe- beads,
73. okhue- parrot,
and many more ika/bini words , so dont say what you dont know , and for the oshimili man calling ika bush , i have few questioins for you ?
1. can you tell me any oshimili kingdom that is as great as agbor kingdom or dein of agbor ?
2. can you tell me any oshimili town apart from delta capital that is more developed than bojiboji/agbor/owa?
3. do you realise that in delta state right now , that it is ika people that are at the top of the political machiens of govt?
4. you can be igbo that is your business , but majority of ika have spoken , and that is why you saw our stance during the civil war.
2. while many oshimili towns are bussy with being igbo , ika has our organisation called ogua/onu ika and that is why you dont see the ika in ohaneze ndigbo or any igbo ethnic organisation .
3. ika have taken a stance , and no propaganda can change it , we are ika people , we are not igbo or any other tribe, and for the man who does not understand ika language and says ika has only 20 bini words , i have shown you that you are just a cheap lier.
73. edogbo= neighbour
74. laiwe is a morning greeting of many ika and edo people
75. laiweze- is another greeting for both edo and ika people,
76. legite is another edo / ika greeting
77. labo is another edo /ika greeting,
78. iseh- nail
79. ikponfin- garbage
80. ikekpe- grave
81. orinmin- heaven / spirit word
82. ofingbon is palm oil .
83. aghere - is keettle
84. kaka - mean nothing
85. ibooh = love
86. arighor= hatred

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by agbotaen: 6:06pm On Jul 20, 2013
1.okpohoni lalani ria a kpanmi oselobue, hun ogi chuniwe uya ?
this woman coming is thanking god for saving her from suffering > that is ika language and how we string it, you might have to go through a mix of language to end the sentence ,
2. egho aria kaka? there is no money at all
3. bihia ni okenyeni no gbe ikpomon lama, leave this man let him go late ,
4. emeni uloegbinihian ,isere ara saka ? if your family does not kill you , no outsider can kill you .
5. ore , irehun ni menmen ni , a laa ni ? so this sickness does not want to go .
6. agho ken m ighogho ken no wen ozegbe ,imen ifoni ? i was so happy that i got victory this month ,
7. ihien uyaghamin ko wu , ke okunse no kpno nne ikun? it was a shameful thing that okunse abused his mother ,
8. oselobue m sikorde gbondon ni m irehun le idoboro, onikor ojuwu gim gbe akpakali gha itebite deru itebite
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Idunobaehis(m): 7:38pm On Jul 20, 2013
Just to complement Agbontae's effort let me add some words.
Ika bini/ishan english
Ewuru - ewu - clothes
eyiya - oyiya - comb
okhue- okhue - parrot
isen - isen - five
eken- eken- marketday
kpokpo-kpokpo-disturb/trouble(verb form)
iseh - iseh -amen
gbe - gbe - hit/beat
utamgba - utamgba - spiritual arrow
udume - uduma - lion
egueh - egueh - hoe
aho - aho - big hoe
okunmu -okunmu-sickla
ri - ri - has many meanings in both lingos but all meanings are same in both lingos.
ni - ni - also has many meanings in both lingos but all meanings are same in both lingos.
There are examples whereby a whole sentence has same meaning in the two languages e.g Ehi chu uya, Aho ri ugbo. Any Ika or Ishan/Bini person here should please help me translate those sentences.
There are uncountable examples.
I will add more words/phrases/sentences when am Less busy.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Idunobaehis(m): 8:43pm On Jul 20, 2013
More words
Ika Bini English
mkpu - ukpu - cup
evbeni - evbana - right here/there
agbaka - agbaka - crocodile. More stil coming.
agban - agbanwen -jaw
nkhite - ekhite - dog
mwen - mwen - have
eson - asen - spit
ohuhu/okhokho-okhokho - chicken
ba - ba - bright
aba - aba - father
ekpa - ekpo - bag
ye evbeni - ye evbana -right here
evben - evban - here
evbeni - evbana - there
bun - bun - plenty
de - dan - fall
enen - enon - four
eni - eni - elephant
Some words here are similar to igbo but non is exactly like igbo.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bigfrancis21: 9:01pm On Jul 20, 2013
@Agbotaen

Most of those words you listed up there are bini words which you picked to claim as Ika words.

If at all they are Ika words, which I doubt, they are obsolete words not used in modern Ika language. The modern and average Ika speaker speaks more of Ika-Igbo than Ika-bini, a phenomenon which I've seen and observed, which you also attested to when you said in a previous post that Ika people should stop giving their children Igbo names and stop speaking fake ika (modern ika containing more igbo) and that they should revert to the older ika which you termed as 'proper ika'. You also mentioned that you love to go home to your 82-year old father to learn the so-called 'proper ika' which is rarely spoken nowadays. You poured out so much anger in that post regarding this issue which showed that it must really be eating you up inside that modern ika people don't speak those things you listed up there anymore. Instead of ewuru, ika people now prefer to say 'akwa/ekwa', instead of ogiso they prefer 'obi' or 'dein'(similar to dee in owerri igbo), instead of 'ehiamaka' modern ika now prefer 'chiamaka', 'chidi', 'chioma' and so on.

Attached are the published works of an Ika son, Joseph Onyeche PhD who also attested to the phenomenon of the throwing away of obsolete words and replacement of these words with more and more new Igbo words. He went on to list so many of such obsolete words of which many of your so-called Ika words which you listed up there were included. He made a remarkable statement in his work that, 'at the present time, the above listed obsolete words are barely known to some older members of the ika community and almost unknown to the younger members of the community.'. From the statement he, an Ika son, made, It is very clear that even the elderly in Ika barely know those things you wrote up there, let alone the younger generation. He gave so many examples of obsolete-new words phenomenon such as the Ika replacing 'onyeme'(wife) for 'nwunye', 'ohue'(hunter) for 'onye agba anu', 'owe'(farmer) for 'ojee ugbo' (one who goes to farm), 'okpe'(palm wine tapper) for 'onye mmanya', 'igbo'(slave) for 'odibo' and many others. His work is a valid, true, real and sincere exposee on the ika situation, not the absurd twisting of facts you and your cohorts keep doing on this thread.

I was very much right when I made my initial assertion. Ika language now contains over 10,000 igbo words and less than 20 bini words. It is an established fact with published evidence by an Ika son with a PhD. Do you even have a Masters degree to start with, let alone PhD? Go out there on the streets of Boji Boji(your only developed town, after Agbor) and speak those things you wrote up there you call Ika let me see if anyone will understand you or even respond to you. You're on your own. I have attached my evidence below. If you don't like that, move over to Edo state and take up permanent residency. I'm sure they'll gladly take you in.

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bigfrancis21: 9:20pm On Jul 20, 2013
Igbos Of Delta State And Crisis Of Identity
(Conclusion)

By Ephraim Adinlofu

Published 09/5/2008 Nigeria
Matters Rating: Unrated

Ephraim Adinlofu
Continued from: Part 1

In 1999, Mr. Peter Okocha { from Ibusa}contributed
financially and campaigned vigorously for the OBJ/
Atiku ticket. In 2003, as a PDP party loyalist, he did
exactly the same, supporting the duo. There was an
unwritten agreement that after James Ibori, the
governorship would be zoned to the Delta Igbo
senatorial district. All eyes were on Peter Okocha
who belonged to the Atiku camp to clinch that
ticket.
Thus when the war of ‘attrition’ between OBJ and his
Deputy started, Peter Okocha, rather than following
the much hackneyed principles that in politics, there
is no permanent friend but permanent interest,
remained loyal to Atiku. That, became his undoing.
He probably thought he was still doing business. So,
OBJ mobilized the state apparatus to make sure that
he did not clinch the ticket. Okocha decided to go
under AC to contest. Prof. Maurice Iwu’s INEC did
another abracadabra on him. He was ‘disqualified’.
His case is still pending in the electoral appeal
court- to be determined by only God knows when,
by a seemingly compromised section of the
judiciary.
Chief Ibori, who benefited from Peter Okocha’s
electoral largesse and support throughout his stay
as governor, did a u-turn and stabbed Okocha on the
back. Overnight before the 2007 charade called
election, a decision was taken that the PDP
governorship race should be zoned to the other
senatorial district while Delta Igbos were to make do
with state Chairman of the party. That was how Mr.
Peter Nwaoboshi became the state PDP Chairman.
The Urhobos, Itsekiris, Izons, Ijaws, and Isokos, aptly
supported by OBJ, ganged up and executed that
coup against us. They rounded it up with the puerile
logic that since we have the state capital, we should
not produce the next governor.
Again in the 2007 election, as a prelude to that
charade, Prof. Pat Utomi { from Ibusa}, whose wife
is from the East, went to OHANAEZE to solicit for
support for his presidential ambition. Chief Orji Uzor
Kalu also went to solicit for his too. A section of
OHANAEZE that rejected Pat Utomi, gave me a
terrible food for thought. One of them, according to
some daily Nigerian newspapers’ reports, hankered
abject adroitly : “Is he really a proper Igbo man?
Look at him, he cannot even speak Igbo properly.”
Others even insinuated that his name did not sound
Igbo. I was shocked to the bone marrow. I couldn’t
believe what I was reading from prominent Igbo
citizens.
Instead of asking the two candidates to present
their programmes and manifestoes, they were busy
hankering on whether one of them is a “proper
Igbo” or not. I was shocked of words. If any Igbo
person does not know the meaning of Utomi, then
that person should take a suicidal dive into the river
Niger.
I guess some Igbos will ask of the true meaning of
my surname - ADINLOFU. An Igbo man ones asked
me in London whether I am a Yoruba man, that my
surname looks like one. I just laughed { even
though my spouse is Yoruba} and politely asked the
man to pronounce my name. He ended up
pronouncing it with all the Igbo-ness and accent
which goes with it. While he was slowly pronouncing
it, the meaning was unfolding before his eyes. He
simply laughed and laughed himself to scorn.
Besides, it is a historical fact writes Emma Okocha of
Izu-Anioma, that when Ojukwu even declared the
Biafran Republic, he never had us in mind. Ojukwu’s
Biafran and its boundary ended at Onitsha, living his
kiths and kin - Midwestern Igbos - to their destiny.
And yet during that pogrom of 1966, most Delta
Igbo officers ran, not to Mid -West or to the West but
to their kiths and kin in the East. The Chief of
Biafran Navy, the late Captain W. A. Anuku, was
from Agbor.
Ojukwu went further to choose Col. Banjo against
the overwhelming preference of Nzeogwu {a then
Mid-Western Igbo officer}, to lead that tactical
assault on Midwest and on to Lagos. Most writers
call it tactical because, the choice of Banjo and his
subsequent antics {Read WHY WE STRUCK 1983 by
Ademoyega} changed and swung the war to the
advantage of the Federal troops. In that assault, Col.
Banjo, who was then assisted by Lt. Col Igboba
{ from Ibusa}, got his assistant locked up in Benin
prison over disagreements on tactics and the way
and manner the invasion was being compromised.
However, while the Biafran soldiers were retreating
from the Federal counter attack, Banjo, Ademoyega,
and coy deliberately left Lt. Col Igboba behind at the
Benin prisons only for the invading ‘British troops’
called Federal forces under the command of Lt. Col.
Murtala Muhammed to stroll casually into Benin
prison, locate Igboba and had him beheaded. That
was the same Igboba who helped General Ironsi to
quell Nzeogwu’s coup in Lagos.
Even in their genuine demand for more Igbo states,
the East never count the Igbos in Delta state as
worthy. Their request ought to always incorporate
the demand of our people for the creation of Anioma
State out of the present amorphous Delta State.
After all, it will still be another seemingly full
fledged Igbo State. However, I still remembered
quite vividly that the late Dr. Chuba Okadigbo ones
in while, had requested that the Igbos of Delta State
should be given appropriate hearing in their quest
for Anioma State which would have extricated and
freed us from the strangle-hold of the Urhobos. But
that was a lone support in the wilderness.
There is a need for the Igbos in the East to reach out
to their brothers and sisters across the river Niger.
This is not to say that we cannot stand on our own.
The point here is that there is strength in
number-“Igwe-buike”. The Igbos in the East should
always seize the initiative because of their strength.
They should make it their statutory duty to come to
us and embrace us.
They are our fathers and, like most migration
theories have confirmed about the origin of most of
these communities, we are their children. We may
not be business inclined like them because we are
not cut out for such but we are educated and are
good civil servants. Our word in most cases is
always our bond. Our people are sincere to a fault
and are prepared to fight with anybody for a just
and sincere cause in as much as you don’t cunningly
backslide or sabotage the cause. The causes that
Major Nzeogwu, Pat Utomi, Col Tim Onwuatuegwu,
Dr. Okonjo-Iweala, Col.Nwanwo, Col. Achuzia had
fought and still fighting for, is a testimony to our
strength and character.
In fact to reinforce this view, I want OHANAEZE to
move forthwith, their headquarters to either Asaba,
Ibusa, or Ogwashi-Ukwu. I believed that the closer
you are to us the better. Let us have a sense of
belonging. By this invitation, I am not saying you
should now come and colonise us. I am saying that
we should relate and that there should be a strong
cultural affinity and rapport.
Anybody in the Igbo culture area of Delta state who
is in doubt about his or her Igbo historical
connection, should contact Prof. Nolue Emenanjo, E
xecutive-Director, National Institute Of Nigerian
Languages, Aba, for more explanation and Professor
Okoh, UNIBEN. The late intellectually versatile Prof.
M. A Onwuejeogwu, another Igbo encyclopedist, who
was from Ogboli-Ibusa, and founder of the Nri
Museum, should have been another contact but for
his death.
The intellectual bloc of OHANAEZE should not shy
away from its responsibility. The bloc should pickup
the pieces and do more research work in this Igbo
culture area of Delta state to establish more
historical connectedness and build on such
relationships. The Israelis are doing exactly that all
over the world. When the State of Israel was created,
most Falashas of Ethiopia, were lifted to that state
because it was established that they were Jews. The
Yoruba is doing the same, tracking their Oduduwa
kiths and kin all over Africa and even beyond, as far
as to Brazil.
Besides, this is not a question of whether the people
of Agbor or Ndokwa are disclaiming their Igbo-ness
or have decided or deciding to opt-out, no, it is a
question of research, based on solid historical and
archaeological evidences. I reckoned that all
research should focus on that title of “Obi” which
has been handed over to our traditional rulers from
generation to generation. “Obi”, as the title
designate, is an undiluted Igbo nomenclature. It is
not an Hausa, Bini, Yoruba, Ishan or Fulani
terminology. Apart from the differences in Igbo
dialects, accents or phonetics, and historical
variances in origin, the other common variable for
research revolves around this term and title of “Obi
”.
Flowing from this, and of secondary relevance, is the
Igbo name of their subjects. For Example, the
people of Agbor and Ndokwa bear names like
Isioma, Ngozi,Nwabuzor, Nduka, Chukwuma,
Chukwuekwu, Chukwuka, Ibegbulem,
Nwanyimogor, Nwajei, Obika, Ijeoma, Ifeoma,
Nwaokolo, Nwoko, Iwebelua, Chiedu, and
other names with the prefix-“Umu”. And
“Umu” is a complete Igbo terminology which
means “Children”. Thus “Umu-dein” means
the “ Children of Dein” and there is a street in
Agbor with that name- Umudein street.
It is not an issue of sentiments, emotions and
unsubstantiated trivialities. Almost all the
traditional leaders of Delta Igbo communities
that I’d listed in part {1} hold the title of
“Obi” and not Oba. And if any of them wants
to invoke the anger of the gods by changing
to another title, just because the leader does
not want any linkage with the Igbos, may the
ancestors and IGBOPHOBIA take care of that
person.
In about 1979, I travelled from Agbor to Benin-city
to spend some days with late Prof. Mike
Onwujeogwu, who was then { I think}, either the
Dean of Faculty of Social Sciences or the Head of
Department of Sociology and Anthropology,
University of Benin. One day, he told me to get
dressed that we will all be travelling to Enugwu-
Ukwu, the wife‘s village. While we were meandering
through pot holes and following some short cuts
here and there and stopping over here and now for
the Prof. to greet his friends and for the wife to greet
relatives, we came to a village called { I think} Isu
or Isu-Aniocha near Awka. I was already fast asleep
in the car.
Then the Prof. woke me up and said. This is Isu,
where the founder of Igbouzo anglicised Ibusa,
migrated from. He then gave me a thorough lecture
of what happened. I was so stunned and
flabbergasted. Since then, that indelible sight and
lecture, even though he has written a book on it
since 1972, has not left my memory.
After the civil war in 1970, my parents decided to
migrate to Agbor. The Obi of Agbor then, Obi
Ikechukwu, welcomed Igbos like wise was the Obi of
Owa. Obi Ikechukwu has a friendly, approachable
and welcoming disposition. By 1978, the Obi, just
like any other Obi and going by the principles and
practice of the patrilineal system, was anxious to
have a son - a heir apparent. Fortunately, his Royal
Highness had one from one of his wives, who was
pregnant for him before he {the obi} died.
It was alleged that the heir’s life was in danger from
other jealous wives and sensing that, the Agbor
Council-of-Chiefs in consonance with perhaps, the
Oba of Benin, decided to smuggle the young “Obi”
out of Nigeria to London, where he lived and studied
at Lewisham college, imbibed western cultures,
MORES and ways of life and came back to assume
his throne in about 2002. Since then, the young
“Obi” has been behaving like the Duke of
Edinburgh.
The Royal Highness should take time to study the
history of his community. He should thrive to do
away with most of his westernised ways. His
subjects are complaining about that. Rumours
have it that he wants to, or has changed his
title from “Obi” to “Dein”. If unchecked by
Agbor elders, then I won’t be surprised if at a
later date he changes to Emir of Agbor .
Although, I learnt from my source that it is a
rumour; however, if is true and it is assented to by
his Agbor Council-of-Chiefs, may the council direct
all their subjects with Igbo names to drop such
names and choose Benin names like Anini or
Osunbor. Enough of this hypocrisy! If in this age
some educated people are still contesting their
culture and cannot make do with profound evidence
before them because of a peculiar phobia of their
own creation, then such a culture is a dead culture.
“A contested culture is a dead culture.”
And this is why I call on OHANAEZE to embark on
further research in this “Igbo culture area” of Delta
state, establish the historical links, migration
trends, patterns of settlement, cultural diffusion,
symbolisms, feast and festivals and their
resemblances, contacts and acculturation in the
whole amalgam and; to try as much as possible, to
harmonise researches that have been done already
and to stand firmly by the synthesized result. There
is a need to focus research on the following
movements in their chronological order as culled in
the late Professor Onwuejeogwu,s book titled: The
traditional Political System Of Ibusa {1972},
namely;
“the Owerri-movement before A.D. 800 ; the Eri-
movement about A.D. 800; the Nri-movement about
A.D. 900 to 1911; the Isu-movement between the
15th and 16th centuries; the Ubulu-movement
around the 17th century; the Aro-movement around
the 17th and 19th centuries; the Idu or Bini-
movement around the 18th century and the Igala-
movement between the 18th and 19th centuries.”
These movements, especially the Nri, Isu, Ubulu,
Idu, Aro and the Igala movements should be of
tremendous interest to OHANAEZE research unit
and this is because these movements seemed to be
the ones which have had profound impact on the
cultures and thought processes of the people of
these communities.
The studies and research should be based on
technique of participant observation. By this, I mean
the researchers have to live with the people they are
studying over a long period of time. You don’t stay
in the USA and London and lift opinionated
articles devoid of any research technique to
claim that you are Urhobo or Benin while your
name is Emeka Okafor.
I believed strongly that If tomorrow the Jews are to
prove that there is a trace of archaeological
evidence establishing consanguinity between Igbo
and Hebrew and as such, have come to lift the
willing Igbos to the State of Israel, as they did to the
Falashas of Ethiopia, I guess those people of Ika
and Ndokwa and some others, who are still in a
state of denial about their Igbo linkage, will
automatically turn around to announce that their
father’s father’s father’s father’s name is NRIJIOFO,
just because they want to migrate to Israel.

Funny world! I rest my case!
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by sonya4all(m): 10:15pm On Jul 20, 2013
foolish idiot. So DEIN is now Dee.I don't know why these igbons are fabrication experts.that's How they said EBELE means Ebere.in goodluck Jonathan's name. ewobi. mkpa la ma weh.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Idunobaehis(m): 11:04pm On Jul 20, 2013
ALL THE WORDS I LISTED UP THERE ARE IKA WORDS AS IT IS BEEN SPOKEN TODAY. IF YOU DOUPT ME SHOW IT TO ANY IKA PERSON YOU KNOW. DONT JUST COME UP WITH SPECULATIONS AND TAKE IT AS FACTS. I WILL STILL COME UP WITH. IT'S INEXHAUSTIBLE.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Idunobaehis(m): 11:09pm On Jul 20, 2013
It's true that many Ika words have gone obsolete but surely not those ones I listed

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Idunobaehis(m): 12:57am On Jul 21, 2013
More words
Ika Bini English
efe - efe - wealth
egogo - egogo-bells
ogua - egua - palace
oba rii egua/ogua (both) The oba is in palace.
Ukhun - ekhun - waist
ekpetitalokun-ekpetihoe - radio
ekpetiughegbe - ekpetiughegbe - television
ekpetin - ekpetin - luggages
Ehi mwen ekpatiughegbe isen - Ehi has five televisions
Ekpetin isen rii aga - there are five luggages on the chairs
esin - esin - horse
etu - etu - bear
etu nii bun (both) this beards are many
fefefe - fefefe- completely
fe - fe -throw
fu - fu - blow air
gedegbe - gedegbe - big, mighty
ogo - ogo - bottle
omomo - omomo - baby
talo - talo - to prolong talk
many stil coming

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Idunobaehis(m): 1:15am On Jul 21, 2013
More word
Ika Bini English
Guah-guah-to tell/speak
han - hano - choose
eriri - irri - rope
ukolu - ukonu - kitchen
isiawe - isiawe -groundnut
kakaka - kakaka - empty, dry
koko - koko - gather/save
Okome koko igho/egho (both) - Okome saved money
kuru - kolo - pluck(leaf)
tuhue - tue - pour it(also means lost it in Ika)
ekhere - khere - small
mkpu/ukpu nii rii ekhere/khere (both) - this cup is small
me - me - me
la - la - go
ma - ma - good

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Abagworo(m): 11:14am On Jul 21, 2013
Idun'oba ehis:

The truth is that Africans have refused to accept our relationship with one another. Igbos deep in Imo State do bear Ahize which is not related to Benin but is the same meaning as Arinze which as a phrase in English could be translated as "if not". Oshimili is Osimiri or Osimini and refers to big river while Miri, mili or mini refers to a moderate river. Sometimes we do use "Okemiri" or "Okemili" or "okemini" to signify how big a river is.

The centralized system of leadership in Igboland collapsed centuries before Igbos had contact with the Europeans and coincided with the start of slave trade which devastated Igboland. The 1st Europeans visited devastated Igbo areas and gave a false impression based off a little contact. Its like visiting Europe after world war and believing that they were not developed or organized. However there were still few areas that had Kings either with incorporation of Benin ideas or self-invented.

Ehi is also used in Igboland as Chi giving a hint of early Ikas passing it to Edo instead of the other way round. Day is also known as "chi","ubochi", "esi", "ehi", "ehie".

Such names as "okehi", "okehie", "Ehilegbu" etc are examples.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Abagworo(m): 1:04pm On Jul 21, 2013
Idun'oba ehis:
More words
Ika Bini Igbo English
mkpu - ukpu - cup
evbeni - evbana - ebeni - right here/there
agbaka - agbaka - adaka - crocodile. More stil coming.
agban - agbanwen - Agba - jaw
nkhite - ekhite - nkita - dog
mwen - mwen - inwe/mnwe - have
eson - asen - asun - spit
ohuhu/okhokho-okhokho - okuko - chicken
ba - ba - bright
aba - aba - father
ekpa - ekpo - akpa - bag
ye evbeni - ye evbana - ebena - right here
evben - evban - ebea - here
evbeni - evbana - ebeni - there
bun - bun - bou - plenty
de - dan - da - fall
enen - enon - ano - four
eni - eni - enyi - elephant
Some words here are similar to igbo but non is exactly like igbo.

If what you wrote above is true, then Igbo and Edo are more similar than we know. But how come I don't understand Edo? And I used more of central Igbo
. In many Igbo dialects, the words are exactly same.

The answer is because you are a big liar. Maybe you are using boundary communities of Esan who as earlier noted shared Igbo originated words with Ika while Ika also took some of theirs.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 2:11pm On Jul 21, 2013
bigfrancis21: @Agbotaen

Most of those words you listed up there are bini words which you picked to claim as Ika words.

If at all they are Ika words, which I doubt, they are obsolete words not used in modern Ika language. The modern and average Ika speaker speaks more of Ika-Igbo than Ika-bini, a phenomenon which I've seen and observed, which you also attested to when you said in a previous post that Ika people should stop giving their children Igbo names and stop speaking fake ika (modern ika containing more igbo) and that they should revert to the older ika which you termed as 'proper ika'. You also mentioned that you love to go home to your 82-year old father to learn the so-called 'proper ika' which is rarely spoken nowadays. You poured out so much anger in that post regarding this issue which showed that it must really be eating you up inside that modern ika people don't speak those things you listed up there anymore. Instead of ewuru, ika people now prefer to say 'akwa/ekwa', instead of ogiso they prefer 'obi' or 'dein'(similar to dee in owerri igbo), instead of 'ehiamaka' modern ika now prefer 'chiamaka', 'chidi', 'chioma' and so on.

Attached are the published works of an Ika son, Joseph Onyeche PhD who also attested to the phenomenon of the throwing away of obsolete words and replacement of these words with more and more new Igbo words. He went on to list so many of such obsolete words of which many of your so-called Ika words which you listed up there were included. He made a remarkable statement in his work that, 'at the present time, the above listed obsolete words are barely known to some older members of the ika community and almost unknown to the younger members of the community.'. From the statement he, an Ika son, made, It is very clear that even the elderly in Ika barely know those things you wrote up there, let alone the younger generation. He gave so many examples of obsolete-new words phenomenon such as the Ika replacing 'onyeme'(wife) for 'nwunye', 'ohue'(hunter) for 'onye agba anu', 'owe'(farmer) for 'ojee ugbo' (one who goes to farm), 'okpe'(palm wine tapper) for 'onye mmanya', 'igbo'(slave) for 'odibo' and many others. His work is a valid, true, real and sincere exposee on the ika situation, not the absurd twisting of facts you and your cohorts keep doing on this thread.

I was very much right when I made my initial assertion. Ika language now contains over 10,000 igbo words and less than 20 bini words. It is an established fact with published evidence by an Ika son with a PhD. Do you even have a Masters degree to start with, let alone PhD? Go out there on the streets of Boji Boji(your only developed town, after Agbor) and speak those things you wrote up there you call Ika let me see if anyone will understand you or even respond to you. You're on your own. I have attached my evidence below. If you don't like that, move over to Edo state and take up permanent residency. I'm sure they'll gladly take you in.

Bro you nailed it and this is a fact cos OBa of Benin even said it categorically that anything or place after abudu is igbo. So I undestand his sorrows

How can an immigrant and decendants of people of questionable fore fathers that are run aways will want sons of soil to change their history. That's a taboo and it must be resisted and thank lord their custodian and kings are not part of this madness

If they are unhappy with the trending moves they should hug the nearest 10000 kv transformer

Let me enjoy my music by ukwuani sons roganna and smart ..... Oh smart dead
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Idunobaehis(m): 4:16pm On Jul 21, 2013
Those Bini words are central Bini as used in Benin City. Igbos dont understand Bini because they have very little similarities. It's not so with Ika. If an Ika person that has not gone to Benin before go to any Bini village, he will understand many things because we have thesame culture/traditions, the same festivals, chieftancy, the same village setting, thesame worldview, thesame\similar music/dance, and similar language to the extent that even some sentences are exactly thesame. I can give many examples on that even more complex and complete sentences. Before now many Igbos in this thread were not aware of these similarities even now that they seen it they are stil been sceptical cos their dumb skul is not ready to accept the truth.
No Igbo dialect has even that little similaries Abagworo listed. You brought some unpopular words from different dialects together and still the similarities are little.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) ... (111)

Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here / Complaints And Notice Thread. Be Serious!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 207
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.