Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,528 members, 7,816,289 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:55 AM

Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. - Culture (87) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. (244472 Views)

Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo? / Delta Igbo,bendel Igbo,ikwerre Igbo,do They Really Matter To The Igbo Nation? / Who Is An Igbo/what Makes Someone An Igbo? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) ... (111) (Go Down)

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ChinenyeN(m): 5:09pm On Jul 21, 2013
Abagworo:
The centralized system of leadership in Igboland collapsed centuries before Igbos had contact with the Europeans and coincided with the start of slave trade which devastated Igboland.

It isn't my intention to derail people's discussion. I just want to point out that there is no evidence to suggest the collapse of a centralized system. Let's be careful with how we tread, just for the sake of making a point.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Abagworo(m): 10:54pm On Jul 21, 2013
ChinenyeN:

It isn't my intention to derail people's discussion. I just want to point out that there is no evidence to suggest the collapse of a centralized system. Let's be careful with how we tread, just for the sake of making a point.

The discovery at Igboukwu suggests nobility and no one could explain much making it a lost heritage. Such names as Ezechima, Ezebuiro, Ezebunwa etc. suggest existence of Eze in the past, its collapse and ban. If you are into Igbo folk tales, I believe you must have heard several stories of Kingship in the past. The founder of Ibusa in Delta State is said to be an Isu Prince.

Prince Umejei the son of King Eze Isu, near Awka, killed his opponent during a wrestling match. This was an abomination and Prince Umejei was forced to go into exile instead of hanging. His sister Omoha accompanied him. Prince Umejei left, carrying on his head a pot of charms given to him by his father with the instruction to settle wherever the pot drops. After crossing the Niger the pot dropped at Ani Ohe. 

Ogboli settlement.

According to Ogboli oral tradition, the mother of the founder of Ogboli settlement was Obodo, the daughter of Eze Nshi( Nri ) ,and the father was Ogbe Nnaga of Nshi .
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by ChinenyeN(m): 11:28pm On Jul 21, 2013
I presumed your earlier statement was all-inclusive. If you're limiting it to certain communities or regions then I could understand, if that is what their histories suggest or emphasize.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by olisaokere(m): 11:53am On Jul 22, 2013
sonya4all: foolish idiot. So DEIN is now Dee.I don't know why these igbons are fabrication experts.that's How they said EBELE means Ebere.in goodluck Jonathan's name. ewobi. mkpa la ma weh.

SHARAAAAAP!...Was it not your present Agbor king that changed his title from Obi to deinis he not the only traditional ruler going by the title DEIN which he chose for himself against the wish of his council men?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by sonya4all(m): 5:00pm On Jul 22, 2013
Where is this maggot creeping out from...What is your business on what title he choose for himself..Besides was that d question you should be answring?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Idunobaehis(m): 6:01pm On Jul 22, 2013
olisaokere:

SHARAAAAAP!...Was it not your present Agbor king that changed his title from Obi to deinis he not the only traditional ruler going by the title DEIN which he chose for himself against the wish of his council men?
Do you know Umunede's Royal family also go by the name Mmu Dein?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 7:57pm On Jul 22, 2013
Idun'oba ehis:

What is the difference between Ebele which anambra and delta. Use and Ebere which IMO and abia use

What the difference between Anthony and Antonio

This guy mental slavery and stupidity is legendary I must say ..... I have never seen a mental slavery of this magnitude

Yes there is Dee in IMO state and agbor sounds more like owerri I was with my ika friend yesterday I asked him this? He said that I shouldn't mind the sons of migrants

What is the meaning of dein and let's analyse it cos I do know for sure in owerri dee is a way of respecting an elder and if I may ask in ika what is dein

Educate me and have you gone to edo to fraternize there

Give me a thread or write up that categorically said ika is not igbo by any notable son of ikaland then I will believe you

Don't go and get stupid write up from unitelligent people like you

I have visited ika website and majority don't agree with you and I have ika friends they speak plain igbo not these antiquated dead language that you posted here

The name of one ika king is Ikechukwu not ikeehi as you claimed that you call God ehi which is travesty and out rageous

Finally have you ever asked other tribes which ethnicty is ika
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by igboboy1(m): 9:35pm On Jul 22, 2013
Idun'oba ehis:

Just thought i should let you know, wizboy of owusagi fame is from umunede.
GO and tell him he is not igbo and he will just laugh and buy you nkwobi.

4 Likes

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by NRIPRIEST(m): 11:24pm On Jul 22, 2013
I don't know what "Dein" means in Ika but Idenmili uses the word "Nwadei","Umejei", and Oshimili also uses "Nwadei" and Umudei/Nmudei. Now,I know what "Dein" means in my Idenmili dialect but I wanna know what it means in Ika. Infact,I will go ahead and give the translation of Nwadei,which means behold a great child/a great child/a great one/an exalted child/one on a high place. Now,I will like to know the definition of your "Dein of Agbor" title. grin grin
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by sonya4all(m): 11:26pm On Jul 22, 2013
there is no point educating retards. and if you don't know ebele is short for ebelemi in goodlucks name. and to the silly igbo boy.am from umunede. and wizboy is from ile quarters. and proudly ika.he even used it in his chorus.stop spewing trash. igbon
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by NRIPRIEST(m): 11:34pm On Jul 22, 2013
sonya4all: there is no point educating retards. and if you don't know ebele is short for ebelemi in goodlucks name. and to the silly igbo boy.am from umunede. and wizboy is from ile quarters. and proudly ika.he even used it in his chorus.stop spewing trash. igbon

Oga,go ahead and address the post above your last post.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by NRIPRIEST(m): 11:37pm On Jul 22, 2013
Everybody knows that GEJ isn't Igbo and his names are Ijaw....So,what's the biggie ?
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by sonya4all(m): 11:42pm On Jul 22, 2013
but your igbon kins still Claims him as an igbo son.because he bears ebele and azikiwe.gullible igbos. no dein means Dee in ika.owobi gbui.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by NRIPRIEST(m): 11:56pm On Jul 22, 2013
I'm from Anambra and not Imo that uses Dee/Dede and I don't know what it means. Again,I have told you what I know and I expect you play your part. Address my post or you shut up like the coward you are!
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by sonya4all(m): 12:36am On Jul 23, 2013
For all you igbo propaganda stars.below is the Meaning and origin of the word dein. And not your Dee.

Oral tradition as well as documented history claims that theDein Dynasty was founded by Ebonka who reigned as the kingdom’s first Dein (1270-1307). “Dein” is derived from “Dehin”, a word strongly attached to “Warrior”..Past Deins of Agbor(i) Dein Ebonka (1270-1307),(ii) Owuwu (1307-1333), (iii) Akina (1333-1460), (iv) Agho (1460-1518), (v) Oguade (1518-1594), (vi) Aisama(1594-1630), (vii) Oseh (1630-1650), (viii) Adigwe (1650-1740), (ix) Dein Modu (1650-1795), (x) Dein Obanor(1795-1795), (xi) Dein Igbe Nije (1795-1885), (xii) Dein Odin (1885-1890), (xiii) Dein Gbenoba (1890-1911), (xiv) Dein Agbobu (1911-1935), (xv) Obi Gbewoba (1935-1967), (xvi) Dein Ikenchuku (1967-1979)(Information obtained from Omania Magazine).
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bigfrancis21: 1:17am On Jul 23, 2013
igbo boy:

Just thought i should let you know, wizboy of owusagi fame is from umunede.
GO and tell him he is not igbo and he will just laugh and buy you nkwobi.

I never knew Wizboy was delta Igbo. Always thought he was from Enugu because he always sings in the Enugu Igbo flavour. Nice to know this.

@Bolded: this is to further confirm that the successful, well-to-do, elite class of delta igbo have no issue with this identity crisis thing. Its the low class, jobless, lazy and idle ones who go around preoccupying themselves with something as trivial as this. As if the rest of Nigeria even cares. Wizboy, Lynxx Utunu, Tinie Tempah (Chukwuemeka Okongwu from Asaba), the musician from Ukwuani/Ndokwa who sang 'Ani Ndokwa bama mma'(title: egwu asaba. Don't know his name) etc are all prominent delta igbo musicians who are proud Igbos all the time.

Please who said Ebele Jonathan was Igbo? No Igbo man has ever come out to claim Jonathan. We all know and see him as an Ijaw man. All along before Jonathan became president he always went by his two names 'Goodluck Jonathan' until recently when his other names, 'Ebele' and 'Azikiwe' surfaced during his presidential aspirations.

During his campaign in Enugu in 2011, Jonathan openly said this himself, 'I have 2 Igbo names, 'Ebele' and 'Azikiwe'. Meaning that I'm closer to the Igbo race than you think. That's why I need your votes'. I still clearly remember watching this live on NTA. Together with the one where Patience came to Owerri during the same election period and was blowing rivers Igbo (bonny igbo) where she started her 10-minute speech by openly saying 'a wu m onye igbo'.(This is a woman born to an Okirika father and Umuahia mother). Nobody ever forced these speeches from them. Nobody forced them to say it. Jonathan admitted on his own that HE HAS TWO IGBO NAMES. No Igbo man ever claimed Jonathan or imposed the names on him. Jonathan has no native Ijaw names. If Ebele was actually the so-called 'Ebelemi', I wonder why Jonathan would want to give up his only native Ijaw name and claim its an Igbo name? Does any sound-reasoning person renounce his own native name like that? If Ebele is an ijaw name, what about Azikiwe then? Is that one not an Igbo name? Does that sound Ijaw? Moreover, why has 'Ebelemi' never appeared officially in Jonathan's names all these years, at least for once? Instead, its only been 'Ebele' all these years and counting. Or is Jonathan so dumb that he can't spell his own native name in full? Or did an Igbo man force him to shorten his name? The Ebelemi claim is only but a big hoax.

People are just so funny. They keep twisting up facts and bringing up fake claims just to fire their bias.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by sonya4all(m): 7:30am On Jul 23, 2013
you guys are very dumb.he actually used that as campaign strategy. because he knows that the gullible igbons will jump up in excitement whenever any successful person claims igbo. as for the case if wizboy. let me educate your dead brains.he lived and schooled in Enugu.which is why he speaks igbo. and who wouldn't when he is in another zone. you adapt to your new environment and behave like them.but as a true ika son.he knew whom he was despite being influenced by environment. furthermore. am from umunede and had all my education from nursery. in the east .and even wrote igbo language in my waec which I credited.I speak,teach and write igbo fluently and legibly.but that was because I was raised in ABA. and that hasn't changed anything about me and my family being proud ikas. So enyia hapu oku. site taa ruo echi anyi awughi ndi igbon. nke ahu i na ako gbasara gi...
just keep quiet and learn.afterall that's why most of you are here.you know nothing about the ika nation.don't let What you copied and pasted deceive you.peace out.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by sonya4all(m): 7:41am On Jul 23, 2013
@olisa. I hope you have seen that the dein dynasty dates Aa far as 1270.stop arguing blindly.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bigfrancis21: 9:04am On Jul 23, 2013
I've made my point. I'm going by established works and facts. Your coming to this faceless forum to make anti-igbo noises are just effortless. They are not going an inch anywhere beyond this page. Anybody who wants his voice to be heard should take the bold step into the academic world, face the academic world instead of coming up here making childish noises when textbooks, published works, Internet, ebooks, the international community at large, including even publications by Ika children all say otherwise.

So far you've not made a single point. Not even a single point. No facts, no links, no citations to support your theory. Just made up lies. The same baseless strategy the other two identity-twisted brothers are using. I'm willing to drop 1001 links that proves Ika are Igbo people while you just can't come up with any. Not even a single one. How pathetic.

Learn what? Learn from you? When you cannot string two correct sentences together. grin
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by pazienza(m): 12:06pm On Jul 23, 2013
sonya4all: For all you igbo propaganda stars.below is the Meaning and origin of the word dein. And not your Dee.

Oral tradition as well as documented history claims that theDein Dynasty was founded by Ebonka who reigned as the kingdom’s first Dein (1270-1307). “Dein” is derived from “Dehin”, a word strongly attached to “Warrior”..Past Deins of Agbor(i) Dein Ebonka (1270-1307),(ii) Owuwu (1307-1333), (iii) Akina (1333-1460), (iv) Agho (1460-1518), (v) Oguade (1518-1594), (vi) Aisama(1594-1630), (vii) Oseh (1630-1650), (viii) Adigwe (1650-1740), (ix) Dein Modu (1650-1795), (x) Dein Obanor(1795-1795), (xi) Dein Igbe Nije (1795-1885), (xii) Dein Odin (1885-1890), (xiii) Dein Gbenoba (1890-1911), (xiv) Dein Agbobu (1911-1935), (xv) Obi Gbewoba (1935-1967), (xvi) Dein Ikenchuku (1967-1979)(Information obtained from Omania Magazine).

Hope you know that the above list of deins don't support your position. Infact,you shot urself on the foot with above list.

The first Obi(dein) of Agbor, Obi Ebonka( family is greater), clearly had an igbo name, which shows the true origin of the aborigenes of agbor.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Afam4eva(m): 12:13pm On Jul 23, 2013
sonya4all: you guys are very dumb.he actually used that as campaign strategy. because he knows that the gullible igbons will jump up in excitement whenever any successful person claims igbo. as for the case if wizboy. let me educate your dead brains.he lived and schooled in Enugu.which is why he speaks igbo. and who wouldn't when he is in another zone. you adapt to your new environment and behave like them.but as a true ika son.he knew whom he was despite being influenced by environment. furthermore. am from umunede and had all my education from nursery. in the east .and even wrote igbo language in my waec which I credited.I speak,teach and write igbo fluently and legibly.but that was because I was raised in ABA. and that hasn't changed anything about me and my family being proud ikas. So enyia hapu oku. site taa ruo echi anyi awughi ndi igbon. nke ahu i na ako gbasara gi...
just keep quiet and learn.afterall that's why most of you are here.you know nothing about the ika nation.don't let What you copied and pasted deceive you.peace out.
I watched an interview where Wizboy said he's Igbo. Now, go and kill him for that.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by OneNaira6: 1:28pm On Jul 23, 2013
sonya4all: there is no point educating retards. and if you don't know ebele is short for ebelemi in goodlucks name. and to the silly igbo boy.am from umunede. and wizboy is from ile quarters. and proudly ika.he even used it in his chorus.stop spewing trash. igbon

ROTFLMFAO!!!! It's obvious you've never heard wizboy interview before or even went to any of his concert. Wizboy is proudly Igbo ooo. He's said it on some interview (afam4eva confirmed) and equally said it in his concert, at least the one I went to. Some portions of his concert that stuck to me was the pride he had throughout the concert. In the beginning of one of his songs he said "this is for Nigeria, this is for delta, and this is for Igbo". In the middle of the concert, in effort to get the audience hyped up he said "My people dance, shake your body, umu Igbo get up and shake like we do". He said this in Igbo by the way but I can't write in Igbo. Anyway, after a while, for some reason he said in broken “if na Igbo u be, this music no dey sweet ur body and u no dance, go ask your papa na who be your papa cause you are not one of us. Nigeria where una dey? shake una body." I guess the audience wasn’t that hyped up enough for him or something. During the concert, he left the stage and joined the audience because one of the girls there was getting it. He came next to her, watched her dance for few mins, asked her where she's from and she said imo state, he started dancing and he said "imo state meet delta state umenede" and the girl said "Igbo boys", he replied "yess oo kwenu". I am not one of his fans but his one of the few celebs that came around here. My little sister dragged me to it and I remembered his concert vividly because it was super fun and hilarious. The pride he had for his music, his audience, his Nigerian heritage, his delta heritage and his Igbo heritage was very memorable. Don't speak what you don't know nwoke.

By the way, Of course he'll mention where his from in his song. He's from ikaland after all. Is this how you people come to conclusion who sides with you on the "I'm Ika, not Igbo" stanch? chei... chimooo. That's like listening to lynxx song, eziokwu, and then declare that lynxx does not identify as Igbo because he said in his song lyrics "I'm doing this for the east side, South Side, delta where you dey". Chimooo. Nwoke you funny

3 Likes

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by OneNaira6: 1:37pm On Jul 23, 2013
bigfrancis21:
Igbos Of Delta State And Crisis Of Identity
(Conclusion)

By Ephraim Adinlofu

Published 09/5/2008 Nigeria
Matters Rating: Unrated

Ephraim Adinlofu
Continued from: Part 1

In 1999, Mr. Peter Okocha { from Ibusa}contributed
financially and campaigned vigorously for the OBJ/
Atiku ticket. In 2003, as a PDP party loyalist, he did
exactly the same, supporting the duo. There was an
unwritten agreement that after James Ibori, the
governorship would be zoned to the Delta Igbo
senatorial district. All eyes were on Peter Okocha
who belonged to the Atiku camp to clinch that
ticket.
Thus when the war of ‘attrition’ between OBJ and his
Deputy started, Peter Okocha, rather than following
the much hackneyed principles that in politics, there
is no permanent friend but permanent interest,
remained loyal to Atiku. That, became his undoing.
He probably thought he was still doing business. So,
OBJ mobilized the state apparatus to make sure that
he did not clinch the ticket. Okocha decided to go
under AC to contest. Prof. Maurice Iwu’s INEC did
another abracadabra on him. He was ‘disqualified’.
His case is still pending in the electoral appeal
court- to be determined by only God knows when,
by a seemingly compromised section of the
judiciary.
Chief Ibori, who benefited from Peter Okocha’s
electoral largesse and support throughout his stay
as governor, did a u-turn and stabbed Okocha on the
back. Overnight before the 2007 charade called
election, a decision was taken that the PDP
governorship race should be zoned to the other
senatorial district while Delta Igbos were to make do
with state Chairman of the party. That was how Mr.
Peter Nwaoboshi became the state PDP Chairman.
The Urhobos, Itsekiris, Izons, Ijaws, and Isokos, aptly
supported by OBJ, ganged up and executed that
coup against us. They rounded it up with the puerile
logic that since we have the state capital, we should
not produce the next governor.
Again in the 2007 election, as a prelude to that
charade, Prof. Pat Utomi { from Ibusa}, whose wife
is from the East, went to OHANAEZE to solicit for
support for his presidential ambition. Chief Orji Uzor
Kalu also went to solicit for his too. A section of
OHANAEZE that rejected Pat Utomi, gave me a
terrible food for thought. One of them, according to
some daily Nigerian newspapers’ reports, hankered
abject adroitly : “Is he really a proper Igbo man?
Look at him, he cannot even speak Igbo properly.”
Others even insinuated that his name did not sound
Igbo. I was shocked to the bone marrow. I couldn’t
believe what I was reading from prominent Igbo
citizens.
Instead of asking the two candidates to present
their programmes and manifestoes, they were busy
hankering on whether one of them is a “proper
Igbo” or not. I was shocked of words. If any Igbo
person does not know the meaning of Utomi, then
that person should take a suicidal dive into the river
Niger.
I guess some Igbos will ask of the true meaning of
my surname - ADINLOFU. An Igbo man ones asked
me in London whether I am a Yoruba man, that my
surname looks like one. I just laughed { even
though my spouse is Yoruba} and politely asked the
man to pronounce my name. He ended up
pronouncing it with all the Igbo-ness and accent
which goes with it. While he was slowly pronouncing
it, the meaning was unfolding before his eyes. He
simply laughed and laughed himself to scorn.
Besides, it is a historical fact writes Emma Okocha of
Izu-Anioma, that when Ojukwu even declared the
Biafran Republic, he never had us in mind. Ojukwu’s
Biafran and its boundary ended at Onitsha, living his
kiths and kin - Midwestern Igbos - to their destiny.
And yet during that pogrom of 1966, most Delta
Igbo officers ran, not to Mid -West or to the West but
to their kiths and kin in the East. The Chief of
Biafran Navy, the late Captain W. A. Anuku, was
from Agbor.
Ojukwu went further to choose Col. Banjo against
the overwhelming preference of Nzeogwu {a then
Mid-Western Igbo officer}, to lead that tactical
assault on Midwest and on to Lagos. Most writers
call it tactical because, the choice of Banjo and his
subsequent antics {Read WHY WE STRUCK 1983 by
Ademoyega} changed and swung the war to the
advantage of the Federal troops. In that assault, Col.
Banjo, who was then assisted by Lt. Col Igboba
{ from Ibusa}, got his assistant locked up in Benin
prison over disagreements on tactics and the way
and manner the invasion was being compromised.
However, while the Biafran soldiers were retreating
from the Federal counter attack, Banjo, Ademoyega,
and coy deliberately left Lt. Col Igboba behind at the
Benin prisons only for the invading ‘British troops’
called Federal forces under the command of Lt. Col.
Murtala Muhammed to stroll casually into Benin
prison, locate Igboba and had him beheaded. That
was the same Igboba who helped General Ironsi to
quell Nzeogwu’s coup in Lagos.
Even in their genuine demand for more Igbo states,
the East never count the Igbos in Delta state as
worthy. Their request ought to always incorporate
the demand of our people for the creation of Anioma
State out of the present amorphous Delta State.
After all, it will still be another seemingly full
fledged Igbo State. However, I still remembered
quite vividly that the late Dr. Chuba Okadigbo ones
in while, had requested that the Igbos of Delta State
should be given appropriate hearing in their quest
for Anioma State which would have extricated and
freed us from the strangle-hold of the Urhobos. But
that was a lone support in the wilderness.
There is a need for the Igbos in the East to reach out
to their brothers and sisters across the river Niger.
This is not to say that we cannot stand on our own.
The point here is that there is strength in
number-“Igwe-buike”. The Igbos in the East should
always seize the initiative because of their strength.
They should make it their statutory duty to come to
us and embrace us.
They are our fathers and, like most migration
theories have confirmed about the origin of most of
these communities, we are their children. We may
not be business inclined like them because we are
not cut out for such but we are educated and are
good civil servants. Our word in most cases is
always our bond. Our people are sincere to a fault
and are prepared to fight with anybody for a just
and sincere cause in as much as you don’t cunningly
backslide or sabotage the cause. The causes that
Major Nzeogwu, Pat Utomi, Col Tim Onwuatuegwu,
Dr. Okonjo-Iweala, Col.Nwanwo, Col. Achuzia had
fought and still fighting for, is a testimony to our
strength and character.
In fact to reinforce this view, I want OHANAEZE to
move forthwith, their headquarters to either Asaba,
Ibusa, or Ogwashi-Ukwu. I believed that the closer
you are to us the better. Let us have a sense of
belonging. By this invitation, I am not saying you
should now come and colonise us. I am saying that
we should relate and that there should be a strong
cultural affinity and rapport.
Anybody in the Igbo culture area of Delta state who
is in doubt about his or her Igbo historical
connection, should contact Prof. Nolue Emenanjo, E
xecutive-Director, National Institute Of Nigerian
Languages, Aba, for more explanation and Professor
Okoh, UNIBEN. The late intellectually versatile Prof.
M. A Onwuejeogwu, another Igbo encyclopedist, who
was from Ogboli-Ibusa, and founder of the Nri
Museum, should have been another contact but for
his death.
The intellectual bloc of OHANAEZE should not shy
away from its responsibility. The bloc should pickup
the pieces and do more research work in this Igbo
culture area of Delta state to establish more
historical connectedness and build on such
relationships. The Israelis are doing exactly that all
over the world. When the State of Israel was created,
most Falashas of Ethiopia, were lifted to that state
because it was established that they were Jews. The
Yoruba is doing the same, tracking their Oduduwa
kiths and kin all over Africa and even beyond, as far
as to Brazil.
Besides, this is not a question of whether the people
of Agbor or Ndokwa are disclaiming their Igbo-ness
or have decided or deciding to opt-out, no, it is a
question of research, based on solid historical and
archaeological evidences. I reckoned that all
research should focus on that title of “Obi” which
has been handed over to our traditional rulers from
generation to generation. “Obi”, as the title
designate, is an undiluted Igbo nomenclature. It is
not an Hausa, Bini, Yoruba, Ishan or Fulani
terminology. Apart from the differences in Igbo
dialects, accents or phonetics, and historical
variances in origin, the other common variable for
research revolves around this term and title of “Obi
”.
Flowing from this, and of secondary relevance, is the
Igbo name of their subjects. For Example, the
people of Agbor and Ndokwa bear names like
Isioma, Ngozi,Nwabuzor, Nduka, Chukwuma,
Chukwuekwu, Chukwuka, Ibegbulem,
Nwanyimogor, Nwajei, Obika, Ijeoma, Ifeoma,
Nwaokolo, Nwoko, Iwebelua, Chiedu, and
other names with the prefix-“Umu”. And
“Umu” is a complete Igbo terminology which
means “Children”. Thus “Umu-dein” means
the “ Children of Dein” and there is a street in
Agbor with that name- Umudein street.
It is not an issue of sentiments, emotions and
unsubstantiated trivialities. Almost all the
traditional leaders of Delta Igbo communities
that I’d listed in part {1} hold the title of
“Obi” and not Oba. And if any of them wants
to invoke the anger of the gods by changing
to another title, just because the leader does
not want any linkage with the Igbos, may the
ancestors and IGBOPHOBIA take care of that
person.
In about 1979, I travelled from Agbor to Benin-city
to spend some days with late Prof. Mike
Onwujeogwu, who was then { I think}, either the
Dean of Faculty of Social Sciences or the Head of
Department of Sociology and Anthropology,
University of Benin. One day, he told me to get
dressed that we will all be travelling to Enugwu-
Ukwu, the wife‘s village. While we were meandering
through pot holes and following some short cuts
here and there and stopping over here and now for
the Prof. to greet his friends and for the wife to greet
relatives, we came to a village called { I think} Isu
or Isu-Aniocha near Awka. I was already fast asleep
in the car.
Then the Prof. woke me up and said. This is Isu,
where the founder of Igbouzo anglicised Ibusa,
migrated from. He then gave me a thorough lecture
of what happened. I was so stunned and
flabbergasted. Since then, that indelible sight and
lecture, even though he has written a book on it
since 1972, has not left my memory.
After the civil war in 1970, my parents decided to
migrate to Agbor. The Obi of Agbor then, Obi
Ikechukwu, welcomed Igbos like wise was the Obi of
Owa. Obi Ikechukwu has a friendly, approachable
and welcoming disposition. By 1978, the Obi, just
like any other Obi and going by the principles and
practice of the patrilineal system, was anxious to
have a son - a heir apparent. Fortunately, his Royal
Highness had one from one of his wives, who was
pregnant for him before he {the obi} died.
It was alleged that the heir’s life was in danger from
other jealous wives and sensing that, the Agbor
Council-of-Chiefs in consonance with perhaps, the
Oba of Benin, decided to smuggle the young “Obi”
out of Nigeria to London, where he lived and studied
at Lewisham college, imbibed western cultures,
MORES and ways of life and came back to assume
his throne in about 2002. Since then, the young
“Obi” has been behaving like the Duke of
Edinburgh.
The Royal Highness should take time to study the
history of his community. He should thrive to do
away with most of his westernised ways. His
subjects are complaining about that. Rumours
have it that he wants to, or has changed his
title from “Obi” to “Dein”. If unchecked by
Agbor elders, then I won’t be surprised if at a
later date he changes to Emir of Agbor .
Although, I learnt from my source that it is a
rumour; however, if is true and it is assented to by
his Agbor Council-of-Chiefs, may the council direct
all their subjects with Igbo names to drop such
names and choose Benin names like Anini or
Osunbor. Enough of this hypocrisy! If in this age
some educated people are still contesting their
culture and cannot make do with profound evidence
before them because of a peculiar phobia of their
own creation, then such a culture is a dead culture.
“A contested culture is a dead culture.”
And this is why I call on OHANAEZE to embark on
further research in this “Igbo culture area” of Delta
state, establish the historical links, migration
trends, patterns of settlement, cultural diffusion,
symbolisms, feast and festivals and their
resemblances, contacts and acculturation in the
whole amalgam and; to try as much as possible, to
harmonise researches that have been done already
and to stand firmly by the synthesized result. There
is a need to focus research on the following
movements in their chronological order as culled in
the late Professor Onwuejeogwu,s book titled: The
traditional Political System Of Ibusa {1972},
namely;
“the Owerri-movement before A.D. 800 ; the Eri-
movement about A.D. 800; the Nri-movement about
A.D. 900 to 1911; the Isu-movement between the
15th and 16th centuries; the Ubulu-movement
around the 17th century; the Aro-movement around
the 17th and 19th centuries; the Idu or Bini-
movement around the 18th century and the Igala-
movement between the 18th and 19th centuries.”
These movements, especially the Nri, Isu, Ubulu,
Idu, Aro and the Igala movements should be of
tremendous interest to OHANAEZE research unit
and this is because these movements seemed to be
the ones which have had profound impact on the
cultures and thought processes of the people of
these communities.
The studies and research should be based on
technique of participant observation. By this, I mean
the researchers have to live with the people they are
studying over a long period of time. You don’t stay
in the USA and London and lift opinionated
articles devoid of any research technique to
claim that you are Urhobo or Benin while your
name is Emeka Okafor.
I believed strongly that If tomorrow the Jews are to
prove that there is a trace of archaeological
evidence establishing consanguinity between Igbo
and Hebrew and as such, have come to lift the
willing Igbos to the State of Israel, as they did to the
Falashas of Ethiopia, I guess those people of Ika
and Ndokwa and some others, who are still in a
state of denial about their Igbo linkage, will
automatically turn around to announce that their
father’s father’s father’s father’s name is NRIJIOFO,
just because they want to migrate to Israel.

Funny world! I rest my case!

This man spoke my mind. Brilliant paper
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by sonya4all(m): 2:24pm On Jul 23, 2013
see them. like I said earlier,there was no point educating retards.hence am not surprised..if you want to ask for a link,do So politely. but with the way you put it,am not showing you any link.because it wouldn't make any difference correcting you.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by bigfrancis21: 3:18pm On Jul 23, 2013
grin grin

What a pathetic loser. tongue
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Idunobaehis(m): 5:21pm On Jul 23, 2013
Ika people dont need any link or any site to tell them who they are. Imagine that one faking things about wizboy. @Sonya4luv
Wizboy is from Idumu Iba, Ileje Quarters, Umunede.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Idunobaehis(m): 5:45pm On Jul 23, 2013
It is difficult to say how many languages there are, since nobody has been able to decide exactly what makes one language different from it's near neighbour.
Dutch for instance, is spoken in Neatherlands, but in nearby Belgium the Flemish language is spoken, which some people say is simply a variation of the same tongue.
Experts think that there are about 5,000 languages in the world, but only about thirty of these is of any real importance. English is the most widely-spoken language, but some linguists claim that the honour should be given to Chinese. But Chinese is not one language, for a man from Canton, is unable to converse from, say, Shanghai.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by Idunobaehis(m): 5:55pm On Jul 23, 2013
Idun'oba ehis:
It is difficult to say how many languages there are, since nobody has been able to decide exactly what makes one language different from it's near neighbour.
Dutch for instance, is spoken in Neatherlands, but in nearby Belgium the Flemish language is spoken, which some people say is simply a variation of the same tongue.
Experts think that there are about 5,000 languages in the world, but only about thirty of these is of any real importance. English is the most widely-spoken language, but some linguists claim that the honour should be given to Chinese. But Chinese is not one language, for a man from Canton, is unable to converse from, say, Shanghai.
I quoted the above to show those shouting "Ika language is classified Igbo so Ika is Igbo" that even the linguists that made that classification dont even know what make one language different from another.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 5:15pm On Jul 24, 2013
[s] Asagba of Asaba: why some Igbos denounce their heritage

........The chairman of the lecture, Obi Edozien, re-emphasised this point: “we Igbo people are one. We must stop fighting over irrelevancies and emphasise the essential.”

This point arose out of the tendency among Igbo people to regard some groups as not “real” Igbos on basis of dialectal differences. It also exists in the form of clearly Igbo-speaking people with Igbo names and cultural patterns declaring themselves as “not Igbo” but ethnic minorities.

This is very rampant among Igbo groups in the South-South zone who believe that by so self-declaring publicly, they would be more acceptable among the real minorities and allowed to take their places as ethnic minorities.

Experience has, however, shown that this self-delusion hardly ever produces their desired results. Whenever the push comes to the shove, the real minorities remind them that they are Igbo people who are out to take what belongs to the minorities through the back door.

This phenomenon was evident in 2006 when former Governor Peter Odili of Rivers State (who loved to call himself a “Rivers man,” as if Rivers State is a tribe) was running for president. Ijaw leader, Chief Edwin Clark openly declared Odili an Igbo man, arguing that the South-South president that the minorities have been agitating for was not meant to go to “an Igbo man.”

Given this situation, there has been an increasing shift of paradigm. Many Igbo groups, especially in Delta State, have decided no longer to play the masquerade. The Obi of Asaba, Professor Edozien, actually laid out conditions he believes will cement Igbo unity permanently.

Obi Edozien then called on the people of the South-East zone to support the creation of Anioma State and another for Igbo-speaking people of Rivers State to make for seven states, all of which will be lumped together in one zone or region.
[/s]
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 5:15pm On Jul 24, 2013
[b] Asagba of Asaba: why some Igbos denounce their heritage

........The chairman of the lecture, Obi Edozien, re-emphasised this point: “we Igbo people are one. We must stop fighting over irrelevancies and emphasise the essential.”

This point arose out of the tendency among Igbo people to regard some groups as not “real” Igbos on basis of dialectal differences. It also exists in the form of clearly Igbo-speaking people with Igbo names and cultural patterns declaring themselves as “not Igbo” but ethnic minorities.

This is very rampant among Igbo groups in the South-South zone who believe that by so self-declaring publicly, they would be more acceptable among the real minorities and allowed to take their places as ethnic minorities.

Experience has, however, shown that this self-delusion hardly ever produces their desired results. Whenever the push comes to the shove, the real minorities remind them that they are Igbo people who are out to take what belongs to the minorities through the back door.

This phenomenon was evident in 2006 when former Governor Peter Odili of Rivers State (who loved to call himself a “Rivers man,” as if Rivers State is a tribe) was running for president. Ijaw leader, Chief Edwin Clark openly declared Odili an Igbo man, arguing that the South-South president that the minorities have been agitating for was not meant to go to “an Igbo man.”

Given this situation, there has been an increasing shift of paradigm. Many Igbo groups, especially in Delta State, have decided no longer to play the masquerade. The Obi of Asaba, Professor Edozien, actually laid out conditions he believes will cement Igbo unity permanently.

Obi Edozien then called on the people of the South-East zone to support the creation of Anioma State and another for Igbo-speaking people of Rivers State to make for seven states, all of which will be lumped together in one zone or region.
[/b]
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 5:18pm On Jul 24, 2013

That's a load of horse manure, how is the culture in Agbor any different from the rest of Igbo land. You first need to explain how you came about speaking Igbo because I don't recall anywhere in history where Igbo's went on empire building. If the Ogoni, Ibibio, Efik etc. who share common boundaries with the Igbo retain their distinct language and certain cultures why would far away Agbor lose it's Benin language?

You first have to find an authentic name for yourself and leave Anioma to the Asagba and those who you call Igbo or better still head back to Benin and take your rightful spot as the Oba's slave if that makes you feel better.
Re: Delta Igbo, Bendel Igbo: What Does That Even Mean. by tonychristopher: 5:43pm On Jul 24, 2013
Thanks for sending this. It is sad that Africans cannot make their countries worth living in.

I was reading the book by late Prof Ohadike last night "Anioma: History of the Western Igbo", and noted his reference to Obomkpa where he mentioned your name. He quoted that Kanagba, the founder of Obomkpa was from Nri near Awka. This appears to contradict the claim of Prince Ake Osu of Issele-Uku who asserts that Obomkpa is a branch of the Ezechime clan. I know that there are many histories flying around, but will like you to confirm Ohadike's claim.

I love to read anything Anioma.

Cheers,

(1) (2) (3) ... (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) ... (111)

Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here / Complaints And Notice Thread. Be Serious!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.