Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,716 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:50 PM

Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? (5199 Views)

Rate Of Denial At USA Embassy Is Alarming... / My Visa Denial Experience: What You Should Avoid / Nigerians Abroad, How Do You Cope With The Coronavirus Issue? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by paulavon: 8:40pm On Jul 07, 2018
Thanks for sharing your story, it is quite depressing if you get denied Visa, when you actually felt deep down that you stood a chance to get it.
Your case was even better that you flew to Lagos, what if you had travelled all the way from Owerri to Lagos by bus and got denied, the journey back home will be hellish.

Justwise pls move this thread to front page

MissJoy29:
Mine should be in 2014 or so. I was to go for to Maryland on a tourist visa.

But things started going wrong from the beginning for that day. In fact from the day before.
The journey from Owerri to Lagos was sooooo turbulent. I don't know how I didn't die of fear that day coupled with the fact that I have acute phobia for flying. Everyone was busy singing and Praying. And there were two Nollywood celebrities with us that day. I even took pics with them(me that I no dey take eye see reasonable celebrities). Eventually, when we landed, everyone was clapping. It was that bad.

My interview time was to be 9am on that day but I got to the embassy around 11. I was so angry at the person that drove me, the rains, the traffic. When I got there, they allowed me in. I was vetted and led into the hall. In there, I was so nervous. I kept monitoring the officers that were rejecting people more and Prayed never to be interviewed by them. Meanwhile, I had this faith in the preparations I did before then. You see, I have a lot of people around that have travelled. So I got first hand advice from them. I had all the right papers. I have travelling experience. What more? But how wrong I was.

I was the very last person to be interviewed for that day. In fact, by the time the guy was interviewing me, the other ones were already packing up to go. You could see from my interviewer that he was disinterested and probably tired. Because of that, he wasn't asking the right questions. He didn't even look at my papers. I was filled with dread when I sensed what was going to happen. I almost started begging him to look at my papers. I was supplying information he didn't even ask but were relevant. Chai. It didn't move him.

At last, he gave me my passport back with that white paper in it that contains information about your denial. I was dead inside. I held myself. How I even relayed the information to the people over there waiting for the news I will never know. I felt cheated cos I wasn't interviewed properly. I wasn't given a fair chance. That made the sadness unbearable.

I got home & put on my thinking cap. I started wondering what would have happened if I had got there at my right time. I also started remembering everything I planned doing when I get there. Devastation is an understatement for how I felt. The tears just burst out from where I locked them and flowed freely.
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by MissJoy29(f): 8:41pm On Jul 07, 2018
paulavon:
Thanks for sharing your story, it is quite depressing if you get denied Visa, when you actually felt deep down that you stood a chance to get it.
Your case was even better that you flew to Lagos, what if you had travelled all the way from Owerri to Lagos by bus and got denied, the journey back home will be hellish.

I can't even imagine that.

You are welcome.
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by manitoba(m): 8:57pm On Jul 07, 2018
I really felt devastated when I was denied a student VISA earlier this year. My funding was sorted. Had over $30k where $20k was required. Had an accommodation close to the school . I was also well prepared for the interview as I didn't have to tell any lies as I was presenting genuine documents and informations. It was so disheartening when I was denied. I didn't like the fact that the DS form does not have a place for me to show my proof of attachment to Nigeria which includes family, assets over $500k, Retirement savings account and Shares. I felt bad because I was fascinated with the course and saw a great opportunity to apply it in Nigeria after the study. But in all, I shook it off me very quickly because I'm doing fine in Nigeria and didn't apply because of the trappings of USA.
Lexusgs430:

If financials looks a bit dodgy or not ironed out properly...

To study requires high financial burden, if the student cannot proof financial independence, how do they intend to sustain themselves financially?

Without proper funding, it is statistically proven that the student would fail or have ulterior motives to ditch student visa and illegal attempt to overstay or abuse visa conditions......
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by Ugosample(m): 9:19pm On Jul 07, 2018
paulavon:
I am creating this thread for those who had been denied visa before to share their experiences about how they felt and was able to move on with their lives after they were denied Visa.

Here is mine;
I got a US study visa denial by December,2017, but the effect of that 5mins interview is yet to go away. After spending lots of money on school application fee, Sevis fee, courier charges, Visa fee,etc and spending months to prepare for the interview, it took less than 5mins for all to go down the drain.
Standing in front of the VO after the news of my denial, I was just stunned, with lots of things going through my mind. I felt rejected and dejected, I have never been meant to feel that way in my whole life.
Returning home from Lagos to my city empty handed was even more painful. It was a long and tortuous journey. Frustration and depression made the journey farther than it ought to be.
Moving on was really difficult for me, whenever I think of the incident it affects my mood and makes me feel sad.

I know a lot of people have been through this road before, it would be nice to share your experience so that others can learn.

did they state why you were denied?
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by Ugosample(m): 9:23pm On Jul 07, 2018
paulavon:
Sorry man, if only these Visa officers know the pain and trauma they cause, they will not be denying people Visa anyhow.

They don't care

It's the surge in applications and the desperation of Nigerian that are to blame

But you can't blame the Nigerians

they have been scarred by the shit.hole they come from
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by fabyom: 10:42pm On Jul 07, 2018
you come from poo hole not Nigerians. please mind your statement. Not all those that are travelling are running away, most have genuine purpose.
Ugosample:

They don't care

It's the surge in applications and the desperation of Nigerian that are to blame

But you can't blame the Nigerians

they have been scarred by the shit.hole they come from
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by paulavon: 11:02pm On Jul 07, 2018
You are right, a lot of people traveling for genuine reasons are denied for no reason.
Migration is not a crime, more Indians and Chinese are leaving their countries for Us and Canada.

fabyom:
you come from poo hole not Nigerians. please mind your statement. Not all those that are travelling are running away, most have genuine purpose.
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by goggleit: 11:32pm On Jul 07, 2018
It is well....hope to try again once am balanced
MissJoy29:

Probably....I guess so.
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by Dotman23(m): 11:46pm On Jul 07, 2018
Legend1145:
It feels so bad when u are denied a Visa, but I will jst encourage u to put more efforts, dnt put too much hope or make ur life depends on it, be very sincere in ur documents let me assure u, u can't deceive the embassy smart guys, they are very smart (oyinbo no just employ any hw person for dere embassy), the best and the smartest ones works dere. Sometimes Na very lil mistake we da do. I was later given the Visa after I realize my silly mistakes(did not package documents well)and reapply within a month. Infact na on top my Itel phone I fill my application den.
I will be applying dis year again for visit, waiting for my passport renewal to come out, [left][/left]Alausa Ikeja passport office said no material on ground yet since last week and Na 30k I pay oooo. Its a shower Sunday enjoy ur day and pls if driving drive with extra caution. Spain Vs Russia going to be a cracker may the better team win
ìré oooo

I want to renew my 32 pages expired international passport.

But I was told they have only the 64 pages available and that the cost of producing a new one is the same with the cost of an expired pass.

Please help, is this true.. It's needed urgently
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by paulavon: 7:51am On Jul 08, 2018
The cost of renewal of your passport is same as getting a new one.
Dotman23:

I want to renew my 32 pages expired international passport.

But I was told they have only the 64 pages available and that the cost of producing a new one is the same with the cost of an expired pass.

Please help, is this true.. It's needed urgently
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by Ugosample(m): 8:12am On Jul 08, 2018
fabyom:

whether you are rich or poor, it does not change the status of your country as a shit hole
Shit holes have parameters used to identify them, and Nigeria fits into all the parameters, so auit the self deceit.

More than 60-80% of Nigerians intend abusing their visas, and the consular officers know

Keep living in self deceit you hear?
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by Nobody: 8:57am On Jul 08, 2018
MissJoy29:

In my defence, I didn't have that pic back then.

But then again, I didn't totally lose hope.

You didn't lose hope you say?! shocked

Sweetheart, Naija is sweet walai! Stop hoping of becoming a 2nd class citizen in another man's country. Get a good job or start a business, get a bf or husband, have kids, plan life and enjoy Naija.....where you've been a 1st class citizen since birth smiley
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by Ugosample(m): 9:26am On Jul 08, 2018
pp802:

Sweetheart, Naija is sweet walai! Stop hoping of becoming a 2nd class citizen in another man's country. Get a good job or start a business, get a bf or husband, have kids, plan life and enjoy Naija.....where you've been a 1st class citizen since birth smiley

if you don't know, except you are in the business or political elite circles, you are a second class citizen in Nigeria

It takes an encounter for the scale to call off your eyes

5 Likes

Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by Nobody: 9:34am On Jul 08, 2018
Ugosample:

if you don't know, except you are in the business or political elite circles, you are a second class citizen in Nigeria

It takes an encounter for the scale to call off your eyes

I am NOT bro. I will NEVER be smiley
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by Ugosample(m): 9:51am On Jul 08, 2018
pp802:

I am NOT bro. I will NEVER be smiley
okay
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by justwise(m): 9:55am On Jul 08, 2018
pp802:

Wishful thinking

3 Likes

Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by Nobody: 11:55am On Jul 08, 2018
justwise:
[/b]

Wishful thinking

How can I help you bro, so you can achieve the emboldened?
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by justwise(m): 12:09pm On Jul 08, 2018
pp802:

How can I help you bro, so you can achieve the emboldened?

You can't.
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by Nobody: 12:14pm On Jul 08, 2018
justwise:

You can't.

Good. So it's No Wishful thoughts as you claim

1 Like

Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by MissJoy29(f): 1:09pm On Jul 08, 2018
goggleit:
It is well....hope to try again once am balanced
That will be good. I wish you good luck then.

1 Like

Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by MissJoy29(f): 1:41pm On Jul 08, 2018
pp802:

I didn't lose hope o

Naija is sweet no doubt but....serious "but" o.
Btw, all those things you listed, can they only be enjoyed in Naija? tongue
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by goggleit: 2:38pm On Jul 08, 2018
taink U
MissJoy29:

That will be good. I wish you good luck then.
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by MissJoy29(f): 2:46pm On Jul 08, 2018
goggleit:
taink U
You are welcome.

1 Like

Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by Cyberknight: 4:09pm On Jul 08, 2018
pp802:

90% of the country's citizens are not enjoying Naija - the odds are that she will not either, unless she is in or gets herself into the group of those who are destroying and enjoying this country.
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by boyo123(m): 4:54pm On Jul 08, 2018
Ugosample:

whether you are rich or poor, it does not change the status of your country as a shit hole
Shit holes have parameters used to identify them, and Nigeria fits into all the parameters, so auit the self deceit.

More than 60-80% of Nigerians intend abusing their visas, and the consular officers know

Keep living in self deceit you hear?
like other countries dont have their problems too. the way u see your environment will always reflect in your life, people like you will still go to america and complain when things dont go the way you want.
no one is saying that you should not travel but stop calling the country names just because you in another mans land as a visitor who could be asked to leave anytime.
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by Ugosample(m): 8:01pm On Jul 08, 2018
boyo123:
like other countries dont have their problems too. the way u see your environment will always reflect in your life, people like you will still go to america and complain when things dont go the way you want.
no one is saying that you should not travel but stop calling the country names just because you in another mans land as a visitor who could be asked to leave anytime.

it is what it is my brother

No one will ask me to leave; D

I have not committed any crime, and its near impossible for me to get "deported" so let's even forget about that.

The country despite its potential is a shithole simple and short
it is what it is.

how can the sixth largest oil exporter be in such state

Okay, let's assume Nigeria is the giant if Africa, why are out diplomats and government not negotiating a visa free deal or at least reciprocal visa on arrival program with many other countries. Nigeria and Brazil has similar clout, but Brazil has been able to negotiate better deals with reciprocity with other countries, especially the EU bloc

What stops Buhari the foolish goat we have as president do sam

Do you know that some countries only visit the American embassy once in 10 years, because the visa got will span 10 years

India and China are prime examples

Let me not rant more than this, the country is and remains a $hithole.

The world knows it, you know it and I know it, so just forget matter

2 Likes

Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by Ugosample(m): 8:04pm On Jul 08, 2018
Cyberknight:

90% of the country's citizens are not enjoying Naija - the odds are that she will not either, unless she is in or gets herself into the group of those who are destroying and enjoying this country.

what is there to "enjoy" sef

You have a whole lot of money, then what next?

You are still a victim of a failed country

you still carry a passport that restricts your movement, you have to apply for visa every where you go (well all but 44 territories)

You could still be kidnapped (if you are living in the South South)

The education you pay for is overrated (except say 5 % of the schools)
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by snadguy007(m): 12:35pm On Jul 09, 2018
pp802:

Na so..... Keep dreaming.
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by olenime(m): 12:57pm On Jul 09, 2018
I
really
dont
want
to
think
about
it.

usa
student
visa
denials
within
six
months.
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by Cyberknight: 2:57pm On Jul 09, 2018
olenime:
I
really
dont
want
to
think
about
it.

usa
student
visa
denials
within
six
months.

That's painful.

But reapplying so insistently might be taken as a sign of desperation, you know.

1 Like

Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by Nobody: 3:23pm On Jul 09, 2018
snadguy007:
Na so..... Keep dreaming.

No I'm not bro. I'm living it......except for marriage
Re: Visa Denial: How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Denial? by olenime(m): 4:03pm On Jul 09, 2018
Cyberknight:

That's painful.

But reapplying so insistently might be taken as a sign of desperation, you know.

I learnt one needs to be desperate for his/her education and career. It been 2yrs now, and it as fresh as it happened today.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Belarus / = / Any Nigeria In Andorra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.