Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,862 members, 7,813,942 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:14 PM

Police; Nigeria's Clog In The Wheel Of Progress - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Police; Nigeria's Clog In The Wheel Of Progress (360 Views)

Driver Smashes LASTMA Official’s Head With Wheel Spanner Over Alleged Extortion / Baby Put Under Trailer’s Wheel To Be Crushed, Rescued In Kaduna / My Encounter With Nigeria Police, Nigeria Police Are Never Our Friend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Police; Nigeria's Clog In The Wheel Of Progress by Nobody: 12:59pm On Jul 01, 2018
The Nigerian police, as much as they've been a vital security arrangement, have reverted to the opposite in our not so recent past. This is evident in their insistence on bail (despite a contradictory law), laxity/complacency, bribery/corruption, connivance, etc. Below are some points (opinions of mine though) that shows how these guys have turned themselves to liabilities, instead of assets, and are hence to be blamed for a lot of wrongs in the country.

(1). Recent containers and fuel tankers Hazard

Following the Ojuelegba container misharp sometimes last year, the Lagos State government had ordered that no heavy duty truck travels Lagos' roads during the day. This met all-round approval as lagosians jubilated in its wake. It was now left for the law enforcement agencies, especially the police, to play their part. But what did we get? Well, your guess is as good as mine. These guys turned it into a money making venture. They only stop defaulters to claim money. This has led to so much disasters in the country.

(2). Killer Herdsmen/Boko Haram

Before you and I knew of these sets of killers, there was a certain Nigerian police force, who heard of their initial activities, and for some reasons, swept them under the carpet. Otherwise, we wouldn't have had the complexity covering those two serious National security issues. They tend to be only attracted to issues that can yield them gratifications.

(3). Corruption

Ah, where do I start here? Well, simply put, the Nigerian police is so corrupt that people are tired of complaining about them! Give them any new law to enforce and they turn it to an offering collection venture. Their normal collection of bribe in public glare has made same look like a routine in the country. When Buhari launched his anti corruption campaign, I thought the police were going to be the first to face a clean sweep, but no. And that is the strange part of it. The leaders all know how corrupt these guys are, but they seem not to be interested. Overall, corruption in the police force is the reason for the entire post, and the cause of the other points. If Nigeria is corrupt, our police force is a scapegoat, and this impedes our development immensely.

(4). Disobedience of law

No other government arrangement disobeys the laws of the country more than police men. The law says bail is free, but the police has never desisted from collecting bail. The leaders know about this too, but no actions. They will ban okada and police men will use their bikes to start doing same. They will follow one-way, use siren to beat traffic without any emergencies, etc. All these inspire the widespread misconduct/disobedience of law and order we see all over the country.

(5). Irresponsibility

The actions of the Nigerian police shows that they don't know their role in national development. As observed by one 'Uche Baba', who jumped on the beat of 'jagajaga' by Eedris Abdulkareem to criticize the police, be as guilty as hell and bribe them and they will give way. But be innocent and try not to pay. No way. They use the opportunity to serve their Nation and get paid as a medium for self gratification. Also, we, every now and then, hear news about trigger happy cops who kill those they are being paid to protect, mostly during arguments concerning the need for them to be bribed.

The above opinion shows how the police are the cause of most of our misfortunes in the country. They are the government agency that is most involved with the masses, and hence, these excesses eventually rub off on some.

The write up is only an opinion, and tends to generalise, but it doesn't in any way suggest that there are no good cops out there.

Lalasticlala

Re: Police; Nigeria's Clog In The Wheel Of Progress by baconline(m): 7:47pm On Jul 01, 2018
I agree with you 190%

1 Like

Re: Police; Nigeria's Clog In The Wheel Of Progress by Nobody: 10:15pm On Jul 01, 2018
baconline:
I agree with you 190%
Thanks boss

(1) (Reply)

Boko Haram Attack Military Base In Niger, Killing 10 Soldiers / Gunmen Attack Lagos Bank Customer, Steal N250,000 (photo) / Cultists Surrender Their Weapons During Church Outreach In Port-harcourt. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.