Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,697 members, 7,816,855 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:53 PM

How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos (19914 Views)

Lost My Job Today, After Few Months Of Employment / How I Lost A Potential Job Because Of My Denomination / This Was How I Lost A Bank Job Opportunity Yesterday . I Hope It Helps Someone. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos by shinricks: 11:04am On Jul 05, 2018
please don't make issue out of this....he definitely would have his reason, 1. he might be looking for a local that knows the terrain. 2. someone that is conversant with the Lagos market 3. not ready to start training/or he does not have patience for you to start adapting to the market terrain etc please the fact that you are from kaduna is not the reason why you were not choose, erase this sentiments, so we dont create wrong mindset in the mind of people lot of people are on this page all over Nigeria. and then seed of discord and hatred would be sown between Kaduna and Lagos.
Re: How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos by showafrica(m): 11:14am On Jul 05, 2018
easzypeaszy:
bros notin hard fr lag...i dnt need to strt tellin tins..bt i came n conquer...I beat many ppl here..wt my 2.2 at 30...Na mindset..if u need me talk i'll be here to guide u al..and dts d reason why i stay tall

Nothing hard, I am not saying anything is hard, I meant adaptation. I grew my teenage years in in Lagos from the east and I have been to other states. The hustling spirit is different just what the coo is thinking. I see people cross road like it's there papa house, u dear not try that in Lagos where Danfo man no send you. Everybody is just angry for nothing unlike some other states. Coo put those attitudes into consideration though, he know he might have missed the best candidate but he didn't want to risk employing and sacking the next month.
Re: How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos by Nobody: 11:15am On Jul 05, 2018
olalat:
lolz. So agneroism don enter corporate code now bah. Oook oo
lol you no know before guy
Re: How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos by abdulbnyusuf(m): 1:34pm On Jul 05, 2018
Sorry for that bro but I don't think it has anything to do with tribe. I stay in Lagos for one year and then came back to Kaduna. Now I applied for a job in Lagos, that has 5 recruitment stages. Having pass the document screening stage, the company sent me a programming challenge which I passed and they were so impressed with my coding style. Next we had a phone interview which lasted for an hour, you know how programming interview dey sha. After that they invited me for a one week training on the framework to work with for that role. Now wahala came because I wasn't in Lagos anymore. The company found a way to send me the training pack via logistic company. When the agent called me to ask for my closest bus stop, he was so impressed when I told him that it's GIGM Kaduna and he should try GIGM Jobowu or Iyana-Ipaja, like how do I know Jibowu and Iyana-Ipaja. I sha told him not only Jibowu and Iyana-Ipaja, I for my one year stay I know most parts of Lagos right from Berger, Ojota, Ketu, Maryland, Anthony, Ikeja, Ogba, Agege, Abule-Egba, Oshodi, Mushin, Surulere, Yaba, Ojuelegba, Mile 2, Festac, Iyana-Iba, Okoko, Igando, Iba, Ikotun, Okota, Cele, Orile, Costain, Oyingbo, Ebute-Metta, Ijora, Ajegunle, Apapa, Obalende, Ikoyi, TBS, Onikan, CMS Marina, VI, Lekki, Aja, Epe. The guy was like Oshey Baba you know Lagos. grin

Moreover, as a sales executive you will need to have good understanding of the job location and massively relates with people around. Because, how will you bring customers if you don't know people around? Will you source your customers from Kaduna??
Re: How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos by themodernman: 2:49pm On Jul 05, 2018
pocohantas:
IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR TRIBE. It must be a salesman role, one of its prerequisite, is knowledge of the sales location. It makes it easier for you to manoeuvre with little or no stress/cost. It is also believed you will have your own target market.

The problem here is, the HR goofed. The onus was on them to state the location factor while advertising the vacancy or send invites to people who meet that criteria. That was the point you should have been dropped, not at the final interview. Anyway,that's the Nigerian HR for you.

Next time, always tailor your CV to suit whatever role you are applying for. It helps.

That's the problem with all this human resources people, them go just dey call anybody they feel like....most of them have zero knowledge what the Oga at the top is looking for...nonsense.
Re: How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos by Nobody: 9:42pm On Jul 05, 2018
pocohantas:
IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR TRIBE. It must be a salesman role, one of its prerequisite, is knowledge of the sales location. It makes it easier for you to manoeuvre with little or no stress/cost. It is also believed you will have your own target market.

The problem here is, the HR goofed. The onus was on them to state the location factor while advertising the vacancy or send invites to people who meet that criteria. That was the point you should have been dropped, not at the final interview. Anyway,that's the Nigerian HR for you.

Next time, always tailor your CV to suit whatever role you are applying for. It helps.

Wow! I love your objectivity. I also admire the courage of the COO. He actually saved the day for his firm and the OP, though the OP couldn't see that.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tony Elumelu Foundation 2021 Entrepreneurship Programme Application Opens / What Is Your Salary At Hand ? / Massive Recruitment At Ritman University Academic And Non-Academic(70 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.