Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,286 members, 7,818,975 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:15 AM

P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch (30306 Views)

P&G To Dissolve Ground Operations In Nigeria, Revert To An Import-only Business / Mike Adenuga Loses $300 Million / Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by tolexy007(m): 11:07am On Jul 04, 2018
shocked
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by yazach: 11:08am On Jul 04, 2018
Wailers come and chop
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by ogedengbeakogun: 11:08am On Jul 04, 2018
Exactly what I've been saying... This is the aim of the fulani mafia, to render useless any job providing outfit, at industrial levels and make mockery of professional careerists, I repeat.. Let Yoruba get out of this unholy union from this foolish country of doom.... WE WANT OUT OF THIS CESSPITIAL MADNESS
LET BUHARI CONTINUE HIS FUTAJALLON AGENDA UP NORTH WITH HIS HERDS MEN... LET US YORUBAS GO OUR WAY

9 Likes

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by onatisi(m): 11:08am On Jul 04, 2018
peeps4u:
Lalasticlala, didn't Buhari recently say investors were falling over themselves to come to Nigeria?
what do you expect a expect a dullard to say if not that ? after all on of his aides said yesterday that Nigeria has more than enough electricity she can consume . TITANIC FOOLS IN POWER

9 Likes

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by Ugonnax: 11:08am On Jul 04, 2018
C
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by gurunlocker: 11:08am On Jul 04, 2018
I don't blame them, doing business in Nigeria is not easy most especially those that depend heavily on electricity. Even small small business are struggling not to talk of big companies, running cost will be high with limited profit.

4 Likes

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by DabFrankNG: 11:09am On Jul 04, 2018
Ah! And they were really doing great and taking care of their staff.
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by olaoreawofele: 11:09am On Jul 04, 2018
Buhari has nothing to do with P&G's problem. The problem of P&G is within the company and its global leadership. Moreover, the products are not selling because of competition. Aside, more companies have made inroads by establishing factories producing same products P&G sells. It is no secret that Nigerians love the foreign made diapers.

izzou:
sad

I have no problem with anyone voting Buhari because of tribal or religious reasons

But voting Buhari because of his policies and because you think he's the best amongst others candidates shows that you are either still eating your mother's food, or you don't have any sense left in you.

P&G have been in business here for more than 2 decades, and a new plant commissioned in 2017 is being put up for sale in 2018? Na wa angry

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by Gerrard59(m): 11:09am On Jul 04, 2018
This is terrible and disappointing. If P&G can close shop, expect Nestle, Unilever and Co to either do same or reduce their investments in Nigeria.

Thoroughly disappointed!
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by Johnrake69: 11:10am On Jul 04, 2018
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by GavelSlam: 11:10am On Jul 04, 2018
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cincinnati.com/amp/543154002

Reporter could have done a better job showing P&G's present situation worldwide.

3 Likes

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by Greizman: 11:11am On Jul 04, 2018
oyegbe:
if they knew that getting up to even 50% of raw materials in Nigeria is difficult then they shouldn't have spent that money in setting up any factory in Nigeria. It's good to have a nice feasibility study before engaging in that type of business.
U made no sense
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by Greizman: 11:12am On Jul 04, 2018
olaoreawofele:
Buhari has nothing to do with P&G's problem. The problem of P&G is within the company and its global leadership. Moreover, the products are not selling because of competition. Aside, more companies have made inroads by establishing factories producing same products P&G sells. It is no secret that Nigerians love the foreign made diapers.

U made sense

1 Like

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by izzou(m): 11:13am On Jul 04, 2018
olaoreawofele:

Let's agree that Pampers is struggling with Huggies in the market

Who is competing seriously with Always Ultra in the market?

Or is this the first company that wants to shut down since 2015?.

8 Likes

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by Nobody: 11:13am On Jul 04, 2018
Organism000:

Yeah, my factory was shut down and I also shelve the idea of a larger on I had already completed drawings, site construction and surveys for. I have decided to focus on alternative investments that brings in less cashflow but which guarantees me a stable piece of mind. There is no point hiring an army of people without making much profits in the name of having a large business.

Nigeria has really deteriorated since Buhari took over. Import charges and taxation are just going up unpredictably.
Try taking that money and blueprints to other African countries to invest. Nigeria is not worth it at all
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by TylerDurden: 11:13am On Jul 04, 2018
[s]
Boss13:
They didn’t state the reason why they are shutting down. The proposed products the plant is expected to
Manufacture are fast moving. Didn’t they do their NPV and IRR analysis and also take into consideration other external factors and risks.

Well I wish them well
[/s]

The said an unfavorable import tariff regime on raw materials was what is driving their production costs high coupled with other competitors cutting corners.

Useless illiterate

11 Likes

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by kenny1313(m): 11:14am On Jul 04, 2018
oyegbe:
if they knew that getting up to even 50% of raw materials in Nigeria is difficult then they shouldn't have spent that money in setting up any factory in Nigeria. It's good to have a nice feasibility study before engaging in that type of business.
What is this one saying? How on earth do you think an organization will invest over $300 million without feasibility study haba!!!! Even an ordinary fast food vendor will conduct a feasibility study. Biz no move be say e no move!!!!

5 Likes

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by tolexy007(m): 11:15am On Jul 04, 2018
Organism000:
Cost of doing business in Nigeria is very high, the near absence of Electricity is yet another crisis. I am personally closing my plans for factories now and I have divested my interests to businesses that are less dependent on electricity and importation of concentrates.

The country has no hope for now.

what about road network? if u see the road that leads to agbara from atan to lusada my bro u go fear, despite so many industries in that area. the road there is very terrible

1 Like

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by johnmattew: 11:15am On Jul 04, 2018
I smell fake news ....300 million is not a joke
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by Sirjamo: 11:16am On Jul 04, 2018
izzou:
sad

I have no problem with anyone voting Buhari because of tribal or religious reasons

But voting Buhari because of his policies and because you think he's the best amongst others candidates shows that you are either still eating your mother's food, or you don't have any sense left in you.

P&G have been in business here for more than 2 decades, and a new plant commissioned in 2017 is being put up for sale in 2018? Na wa angry

This is the kind of news Sadist like you pray for in your own father land, I am sure you where not happy when the plant was commissioned under Buhari, now you are happy it's shutting down!
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by Goddex: 11:17am On Jul 04, 2018
SalamRushdie:
What do you expect when we have a Federal Govt who is applying all it's vision , ingenuity and creativity on continuing an 18 century script on conquering small middle belt tribes as opposed to growing the Nigerian economy
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by phreakabitoo: 11:17am On Jul 04, 2018
Fire Kemi Adeosun now!
The Economy is in it's worst state ever!
APC govt is the most inept govt, in the history of Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by Nobody: 11:18am On Jul 04, 2018
izzou:

So a company as big as P&G, with over decades of experience doing business all over the world, and invested about $300 million building a plant, didn't do a NICE FEASIBILITY STUDY, according to you? undecided

You are very funny, you know grin

Even bigger firms have shutdown due to bad business decisions. P&G isn't immune to this. It's a pity though
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by smallsmall: 11:18am On Jul 04, 2018
biafranation:
Afonjas calling on government to come and rescue a multinational because their own over 120 were laid off? Who has come to rescue the Igbos? Go and vote for Buhari again nah. You think Igbos wil suffer under Buhari? You are dreaming. Afonjas are undergoing the greatest hardship since creation.

Buy or Borrow a few drops of sense, IPAD Yoot.
Abusing other tribes will not change your level of ignorance or change who you are.

Most of you just jump on threads and start typing gibberish.

What most of you dont know is that P & G is shutting down, not just in Nigeria but in four other african countries including Congo because itis being INVESTIGATED FOR CORRUPT PRACTICES IN AFRICAN COUNTRIES BY THE AMERICAN GOVT., SPECIFICALLY FOR MONE LAUNDERING.

If you think l am making this up, use Google and do a search on that phrase.
I am talking about an event that started yesterday, in the US Justice Dept.
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by weyreypey: 11:19am On Jul 04, 2018
Sirjamo:
This is the kind of news Sadist like you pray for in your own father land, I am sure you where not happy when the plant was commissioned under Buhari, now you are happy it's shutting down!
Your president is the midwife of the departure

1 Like

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by izzou(m): 11:21am On Jul 04, 2018
Sirjamo:

120 staff will be sacked because of this. Why don't you go over there and tell them to be happy.?

Things are going wrong daily, and a lot of you keep asslicking the mediocre we call a president. When people speak against him, you either tag them Igbos or PDP or sadists

Don't worry. When his policies affect your workplace
you'll know how it feels not to have a source of income,.

Sorry. I forgot that your parents still feed you. You wouldn't understand. I apologize

14 Likes

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by Atom007(m): 11:21am On Jul 04, 2018
Runs kills P n G, I wish any of the top official can read this, u guys should be doing proper checking of all d loaded trucks for Ariel , pampers among other things. I know what am saying, no company can survive on runs by workers......
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by laiza(m): 11:22am On Jul 04, 2018
Now I can wholeheartedly say that Nigeria is a failed state. If Pampers plant that boasts of sale of the products more than 30 million units per quarter can shut down then nothing can survive under this administration. Except perhaps slaughter house and cattle ranch.

3 Likes

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by Lilimax(f): 11:22am On Jul 04, 2018
What do you expect when COW matter is top priority in Nigeria undecided
A situation where people are threatened to donate their lands for grazing or they loose their life shocked

Enjoy una CHANGE jare embarassed

3 Likes

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by vioment: 11:22am On Jul 04, 2018
Power supply issue. We know our problems but we are just not doing anything or doing too little about it.
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by AceRoyal: 11:23am On Jul 04, 2018
slimfit1:
The government should band them from importing anything or any of their products simple.

Place a ban when the country cannot boast of adequate availability of raw local materials?
I bet you really don't know what's going on in this country!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by Miles300: 11:24am On Jul 04, 2018
Lol and they say he has savaged the economy and derserves a 2nd term

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 / Tired Of Being Broke? See How To Earn Passive Income In Nigeria / Top Payment Gateways In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.