Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,257 members, 7,818,880 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:14 AM

P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch (30303 Views)

P&G To Dissolve Ground Operations In Nigeria, Revert To An Import-only Business / Mike Adenuga Loses $300 Million / Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by Sirjamo: 1:05pm On Jul 04, 2018
izzou:

120 staff will be sacked because of this. Why don't you go over there and tell them to be happy.?

Things are going wrong daily, and a lot of you keep asslicking the mediocre we call a president. When people speak against him, you either tag them Igbos or PDP or sadists

Don't worry. When his policies affect your workplace
you'll know how it feels not to have a source of income,.

Sorry. I forgot that your parents still feed you. You wouldn't understand. I apologize
Can a Nation with dwindling revenue and weak reserves have a booming economy ? you can never give what you don't have.
If not for Buhari's prudent management, what do you think would have happened when oil prices dropped to it lowest in decades?
Ordinary elementary economics, you can not comprehend, but will be complaining about bad policies, if you are asked to enumerate the bad policies and suggest better ones, you will go numb', even the fake news you read up there says that the recession was due to the fall of oil prices, but of course, objectivity is not in your DNA.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by babayinka77(m): 1:09pm On Jul 04, 2018
izzou:
sad

I have no problem with anyone voting Buhari because of tribal or religious reasons

But voting Buhari because of his policies and because you think he's the best amongst others candidates shows that you are either still eating your mother's food, or you don't have any sense left in you.

P&G have been in business here for more than 2 decades, and a new plant commissioned in 2017 is being put up for sale in 2018? Na wa angry

“Our competitors invested much less in their factory, can maneuver their way in the system, and thus produce and sell for much less. We cannot do that. Our investment in Agbara is arguably the largest single investment by a non-oil firm in Nigeria. But we just have to shut it. The loss is much,” the source said.
if you read the part quoted above , you will easily realize that they also did not do a proper market survey and analysis before investing such huge amount of money in pampers and diaper business. $300M is huge for such a product. Bad investment in a poorly managed economy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by Nuelmatic: 1:10pm On Jul 04, 2018
With an investment of this magnitude and the time lag between commencement and ceasation of operation, I can conclude that it is either there was no strategic document to back this investment or the strategic document was poorly done.

Some of these analysis we take for granted have far reaching consequences. PESTEL analysis, Porter's Diamond analysis, 5 year Financial forecast and several scenario analysis etc. You may want to believe that because it is a big company, they might have crossed their t's but you will be shocked this wasn't done.

If I were engaged to investigate the cause of this, I will begin from the above

peeps4u:

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/274899-exclusive-pg-to-shut-down-300-million-nigeria-production-plant-one-year-after-launch.html?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C8855754542

1 Like 1 Share

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by damose12(m): 1:21pm On Jul 04, 2018
Running a production business in this country is never an easy one. Epileptic electricity supply and high tarrif rate is terrible.
The most annoying part is that the leaders are not proactive to see looming danger ahead
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by cyrielo(m): 1:24pm On Jul 04, 2018
izzou:

Their reason was the continuous rise in importation tariifs

If you decide to build a house, and you estimate a block to be at #200 in your feasibility study, and when you start, it rises to #180, and after a day or two, it rises to #195, and it less than a week, it's about #250.
Do you blame yourself or the factors affecting the rise?

Feasibility study is just feasible plans. It cannot determine the outcome entirely
This is entirely true, I understand better now. I'm actually facing a similar problem since the government decided to increase import duties on solar panels in spite of the epileptic power supply cry .
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by ibiyemi28(m): 1:25pm On Jul 04, 2018
I think my company is one of them. I had to shut my yoghurt factory down because of that foolish recession, everything was so difficult, material was so cost over 200% increase the d cost of raw material, competition in market too is another problem. Infact I must vote that bubu out.

1 Like

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by Originalsly: 1:37pm On Jul 04, 2018
oyegbe:
if they knew that getting up to even 50% of raw materials in Nigeria is difficult then they shouldn't have spent that money in setting up any factory in Nigeria. It's good to have a nice feasibility study before engaging in that type of business.

Don't you think they did a thorough feasibility study taking raw materials...electricity and water supply and logistics into consideration before deciding to set up the plant? ...and didn't you read why they were having a problem with the supply of raw materials?...and the reasons for shutting down the plant?
@ topic.... it doesn't matter which FG.... no above board company can survive... it is pay to play...corruption must be supported. BUT why would Premium Times be going to the company when they already released information?...why not go to the VP and the governor for their input? ...remind them of what they said at the launching and what they have to say now? Mumu reporters.

1 Like

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by Reference(m): 1:47pm On Jul 04, 2018
GavelSlam:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cincinnati.com/amp/543154002

Reporter could have done a better job showing P&G's present situation worldwide.

You have a very disgusting way of sliding important issues. I wonder if you are put in any leadership position you can make a success with this kind of attitude. If you realise what could have been and what has been lost you will rather be circumspect. If politics is all you can imagine I am eternally sorry for you. You rather see this country sink into oblivion than raise important issues to challenge the status quo.

Will it have been a crime for P&G's operation to be a success in Nigeria despite other locations. Is is a sin for the government to ensure factories remain open and jobs are saved. When GM and other motor companies hit hard times in the financial tsunami a few years ago, their plants all around thd world were affected. The United States ensured they remain in operation by bailouts and some European countries also offered those US companies loans to keep production on.

How can a government claiming to industrialize not know when its key players are in distress and why couldn't they be proactive in saving those plants. That is what we ask for, not rubbish, nonsense politicking. Citizens must demand an end to the passivity. Jobs are gone, suppliers are stranded, governments are left tax shortchanged. Remember that the Ogun state government invested in this venture. That is gone too.

I am sure they wished they controlled national industrial and trade policies.

2 Likes

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by Jethrolite(m): 1:52pm On Jul 04, 2018
Organism000:

Yeah, my factory was shut down and I also shelve the idea of a larger one I had already completed drawings, site construction and surveys for. I have decided to focus on alternative investments that brings in less cashflow but which guarantees me a stable peace of mind. There is no point hiring an army of people without making much profits in the name of having a large business.

Nigeria has really deteriorated since Buhari took over. Import charges and taxation are just going up unpredictably.
I strongly advise you leave while you still can.
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jul 04, 2018
Jethrolite:
I strongly advise you leave while you still can.

We are watching the swings of the next election and if Buhari wins, I wont be stepping out of my home except it is absolutely necessary. But I am moving most of my siblings who are still single out of possible trouble spots and building new home for them at city center.

But my wife. No way, she is not stepping into the country no matter what. My side chic keeps me going for now.

2 Likes

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by deenee: 2:04pm On Jul 04, 2018
peeps4u:

Electricity dependent business will suffer in Nigeria. Nigeria is just frustrating

No sane manufacturing firm will ok invest 300 miiom dollars in a factory plant and not invest at least 1m dollars in a IPP to generate thier own power.

Even smaller factories around mowe ofada axis have thier own IPP!

This news is fake. I just confirmed that the factory is still operating.

I don't know where this news is coming from.
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by IBBG(m): 2:04pm On Jul 04, 2018
izzou:
sad

I have no problem with anyone voting Buhari because of tribal or religious reasons

But voting Buhari because of his policies and because you think he's the best amongst others candidates shows that you are either still eating your mother's food, or you don't have any sense left in you.

P&G have been in business here for more than 2 decades, and a new plant commissioned in 2017 is being put up for sale in 2018? Na wa angry

the problem with this govt is that there is no deliberate plan to shield manufacturing industries to cushion the effects of this recession and protect jobs. In advanced countries they take deliberate step to protect these huge industries because of the multiplier effects of unemployment in the economy. The govt of advanced countries are so scared of unemployment such that they will do literary any thing to prevent it. but here the reverse is the case.
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by Jethrolite(m): 2:16pm On Jul 04, 2018
Organism000:

We are watching the swings of the next election and if Buhari wins, I wont be stepping out of my home except it is absolutely necessary. But I am moving most of my siblings who are still single out of possible trouble spots and building new home for them at city center.

But my wife. No way, she is not stepping into the country no matter what. My side chic keeps me going for now.
Oga you sabi the thing. Personally, I believe sh!t will hit the fan big time next year. For now I just do brokerage and looking for a viable Internet business to set up. If it's even Kenya or Ghana, I will go there and sit. I believed in this country once and I'm paying dearly for it.

1 Like

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jul 04, 2018
That is why I parked out of the country I left to another africa country. Today I am employee 150 people in a neighbouring african country. The main problem with nigeria no law and order, no electricity, no official tariff people just charge what they want by mouth and I have noticed there are people going around destroyed and harassing the companies and industries. When I was in a state in nigeria I found out in one year they lost 22 industries. There are people going around kicking industries and companies out of the country. Just like the cattle rearers causing havoc there are people causing havoc to the companies and industries. A good example is 16 nigerians why arrested in a southern african country for trying to sabotage industries and the economy of that country .

1 Like

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jul 04, 2018
This is bad news. I mentioned the other time the problem in Nigeria is not non- availability of skills but that there are no market to sell to or infrastructure to practice these skills once developed. Somebody quoted me and tagged me silly. This shut down will lead to jobloss and somebody somewhere will be preaching skills. Will skills stop these plant from shutting down? We have serious leadership problem in this country, until this is addressed. We will keep shouting we and wa. It's really unfortunate that an investment worth this amount will close down. But how have they been importing before now? Was there no feasibility study and due diligence before this project began. There is more to this.

1 Like

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by izzou(m): 2:21pm On Jul 04, 2018
babayinka77:

“Our competitors invested much less in their factory, can maneuver their way in the system, and thus produce and sell for much less. We cannot do that. Our investment in Agbara is arguably the largest single investment by a non-oil firm in Nigeria. But we just have to shut it. The loss is much,” the source said.
if you read the part quoted above , you will easily realize that they also did not do a proper market survey and analysis before investing such huge amount of money in pampers and diaper business. $300M is huge for such a product. Bad investment in a poorly managed economy.

Did it occur to you that they started building that plant before Buhari came in?

Did you read where they said about 276 industries had shut down as at 2016? So all of them invested badly? undecided

2 Likes

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by IgboBasthard: 2:24pm On Jul 04, 2018
NOETHNICITY:
If they did a nice feasibility study then why are they crying and closing down now?

You just want to blame it all on Buhari while failing to acknowledge the position of govt, which seeks to encourage more input of local contents. The company simply wants to be granted exclusive favor from govt. And govt cannot do that knowing there are other competing products like Moflix which is doing great.

Dont respond to these IPOB b'stds, they are a waste of time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jul 04, 2018
Jethrolite:
Oga you sabi the thing. Personally, I believe sh!t will hit the fan big time next year. For now I just do brokerage and looking for a viable Internet business to set up. If it's even Kenya or Ghana, I will go there and sit. I believed in this country once and I'm paying dearly for it.

Sure, if online businesses are there that keeps the cash inflow steady, by all means go ahead. There is nothing as wonderful as that at this stage in Nigeria's economic history, but it has become very tough getting deals via the internet these days because of our known history as a scam hub, but brokerage is great, very wonderful.
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by googi: 2:25pm On Jul 04, 2018
Must have missed the reason they have to import raw materials.

Africa is the main supplier of raw materials. Intentionally so designated so that companies can make money on finished products then export profit.

Unfortunately, this leeching act is not limited to foreign companies. Local companies like Dangote, Innoson and more do it too.

Now that we are asking them to source raw materials at home and export finished products so that meagre forex can be devoted to pressing needs, almighty P&C is claiming they cannot import raw materials. Like what?

Coca Cola and beer companies that depend on sugar, water and barley that can be substituted with local guinea corn or corn also cry for lack of imports.

The place bankers, politicians and companies make their obscene money is in forex. Plants have been closed, workers used as hostages between these leeching danduruwa.

While Nigerians bleed.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by izzou(m): 2:28pm On Jul 04, 2018
Sirjamo:
Can a Nation with dwindling revenue and weak reserves have a booming economy ? you can never give what you don't have.
If not for Buhari's prudent management, what do you think would have happened when oil prices dropped to it lowest in decades?
Ordinary elementary economics, you can not comprehend, but will be complaining about bad policies, if you are asked to enumerate the bad policies and suggest better ones, you will go numb', even the fake news you read up there says that the recession was due to the fall of oil prices, but of course, objectivity is not in your DNA.

276 industries shut down in 2016 alone, courtesy of your Saviours prudent management

My former workplace is cutting salaries by 40% now because importation tarrifs for raw materials have increased. Keep cheering yourself, you hear.

Every single person who runs a business knows how difficult it is since Buhari started implementing fruitless policies

Like I advised you, go and preach Buhari's prudent management to the 120 staff. It will be soothing to them and their families this period

4 Likes

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by Nobody: 2:29pm On Jul 04, 2018
IBBG:
the problem with this govt is that there is no deliberate plan to shield manufacturing industries to cushion the effects of this [b]recession [/b]and protect jobs. In advanced countries they take deliberate step to protect these huge industries because of the multiplier effects of unemployment in the economy. The govt of advanced countries are so scared of unemployment such that they will do literary any thing to prevent it. but here the reverse is the case.
what recession really? This is 2018. Oil is selling above 75 dollars. Nations have recovered fro the slump in oil price. Nigeria is still talking recession. Will you stay in recession forever. The problem is you have dumb heads, who don't know what leadership is about. A nation of close to 200 million people, yet it seems like nothing works!

1 Like

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by IBBG(m): 2:36pm On Jul 04, 2018
majekdom2:
what recession really? This is 2018. Oil is selling above 75 dollars. Nations have recovered fro the slump in oil price. Nigeria is still talking recession. Will you stay in recession forever. The problem is you have dumb heads, who don't know what leadership is about. A nation of close to 200 million people, yet it seems like nothing works!
my brother, i'm just tired of the numbskulls parading themselves as politiicans in this country. That is why i implore everyone to be involved in politics, because whether you like it or not, everyone is affected by politics at the end of the day. I never had the interest to contest for any position in this country. but i've changed my mind. I have it in mind to contest for political post in this country in the nearest future. We can no longer sit on the fence and allow incorrigible fellows pull the strings for us.
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by romeorailss: 2:42pm On Jul 04, 2018
tolexy007:

have u seen the road that leads From Atan to lusada to Agbara? my brother if u see that road, u will ever blame urself for taken ur car there, is the worst road ever i ever seen. despite all the money the gov is collecting from those industries, the road is no go area at all

Bros I work in Agbara so you are very right angry
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by izzou(m): 2:43pm On Jul 04, 2018
cyrielo:
This is entirely true, I understand better now. I'm actually facing a similar problem since the government decided to increase import duties on solar panels in spite of the epileptic power supply cry .

Can you imagine?

In a time where countries are subsidizing the price of solar panels so a good number of consumers can afford it and stay if the grid.

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by goaldynboy: 2:43pm On Jul 04, 2018
About 272 manufacturing plants wereshut down across the country in 2016,according to the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria.

Buhari has taken this country 20 years back! See the number of companies that folded up just in 2016! If they show you the figure for 2017 and 2018, you will develop instant headache! And some zombies and suffer-sticated morons like Tinubu are running from pillar to post to re-elect him!!

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by Sirjamo: 2:44pm On Jul 04, 2018
izzou:

276 industries shut down in 2016 alone, courtesy of your Saviours prudent management

My former workplace is cutting salaries by 40% now because importation tarrifs for raw materials have increased. Keep cheering yourself, you hear.

Every single person who runs a business knows how difficult it is since Buhari started implementing fruitless policies

Like I advised you, go and preach Buhari's prudent management to the 120 staff. It will be soothing to them and their families this period
If the useless pdp that you supported for 16 years had done it job well, would your company have to import any raw material? I ask you again, is it possible to continue importing everything as we use to, despite lower foreign currencies inflow? If businesses do not have enough forex to import raw materials, and they can't source locally, won't they have to close down?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by naijamerican: 2:44pm On Jul 04, 2018
All the foolish Nigerians that cursed Jonathan based on stupid articles from the Sahara reporters must feel QUITE FOOLISH now.

People ignored all the evil this buhari has done and re-elected him simply to spite Goodluck and Igbos.

And unfortunately those same northerners that hated goodluck simply because he wasn't muslim or fulani are now being massacred daily by their fellow muslims.

Its sad.

NIGERIA NEEDS TO STOP TRIBALISM AND RELIGIOUS FIGHTING IF THERE IS TO BE ANY HOPE.

Ignorance is what will kill this country off ultimately if people dont wake up.
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by cyrielo(m): 2:51pm On Jul 04, 2018
majekdom2:
This is bad news. I mentioned the other time the problem in Nigeria is not non- availability of skills but that there are no market to sell to or infrastructure to practice these skills once developed. Somebody quoted me and tagged me silly. This shut down will lead to jobloss and somebody somewhere will be preaching skills. Will skills stop these plant from shutting down? We have serious leadership problem in this country, until this is addressed. We will keep shouting we and wa. It's really unfortunate that an investment worth this amount will close down. But how have they been importing before now? Was there no feasibility study and due diligence before this project began. There is more to this.
You're right, evidently having the skillset is not enough.

2 Likes

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by izzou(m): 2:52pm On Jul 04, 2018
Sirjamo:
If the useless pdp that you supported for 16 years had done it job well, would your company have to import any raw material? I ask you again, is it possible to continue importing everything as we use to, despite lower foreign currencies inflow? If businesses do not have enough forex to import raw materials, and they can't source locally, won't they have to close down?

I know you wouldn't disappoint. grin Once someone speaks against Buhari, he must be a PDP supporter.

A lot of you sit in front of your TV and phones and automatically believe everyone is wrong. I encourage you to go out. Move out and talk to people in business. Maybe you'll understand better.

You think industries wouldn't source locally, if it will maximize profit? You think everyone is enjoying the stress and high costs of importation? Do you know the challenges involved in producing here? No power, no roads, unnecessary taxes here and there and a lot more?

It's obvious you haven't done business before. I really don't have the strength to engage you in any argument.

Support Buhari all you like. Na you sabi. But just pray his policies doesn't affect you. Hardship no sabi who be PDP or APC

The people of Benue voted massively for him baa? Now, his nonchalant attitude towards security is paying off.

Have a nice day

1 Like

Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by Sirjamo: 3:00pm On Jul 04, 2018
izzou:

I know you wouldn't disappoint. grin Once someone speaks against Buhari, he must be a PDP supporter.

A lot of you sit in front of your TV and phones and automatically believe everyone is wrong. I encourage you to go out. Move out and talk to people in business. Maybe you'll understand better.

You think industries wouldn't source locally, if it will maximize profit? You think everyone is enjoying the stress and high costs of importation? Do you know the challenges involved in producing here? No power, no roads, unnecessary taxes here and there and a lot more?

It's obvious you haven't done business before. I really don't have the strength to engage you in any argument.

Support Buhari all you like. Na you sabi. But just pray his policies doesn't affect you. Hardship no sabi who be PDP or APC

The people of Benue voted massively for him baa? Now, his nonchalant attitude towards security is paying off.

Have a nice day
In all our conversations, you tactically avoided the forex issues because you know you can never win the argument, anyway, have a nice day too.
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by romeorailss: 3:04pm On Jul 04, 2018
bodejohn:
I am not a fan of Buhari.

The collapse of P&G's business in Agbara has about 5% to do with government's policy. It was killed by the greed of the workers there...especially top management.

You don't expect them to say they are shutting down because there are multiple frauds or bad business decisions.

Nice one bro . U are also an insider or have a very good source from inside as well . wink . Let others continue to blame the government .

Those who know the truth knows wassup wink
Re: P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch by cyrielo(m): 3:09pm On Jul 04, 2018
Sirjamo:
At least dissapoint me with a common sense naw angry

Is it not the businesses that are supposed to drive up foreign currency inflow when they export commodities?

Now the businesses can barely survive because of lack of infrastructural development coupled with numerous government agencies extorting monies for ridiculous reasons. Not to mention scenarios where the government intentionally hike import duties for selfish interests.

This problems mentioned above have been in existence even before buhari. But it just managed to become worse.

Now no one is supporting the terrible Jonathan tenure or this horrible buhari tenure. But your myopic mindset has blinded you from seeing that!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 / Tired Of Being Broke? See How To Earn Passive Income In Nigeria / Top Payment Gateways In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.