Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,328 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:53 AM

Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant (36322 Views)

Mike Adenuga Loses $300 Million / EFCC Investigates Emefiele, Oramah Over $300 Million Paid To Acquire Union Bank / P&G To Shut Down $300 Million Nigeria Production Plant, A Year After Launch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant by adecz: 7:10pm On Jul 06, 2018
sad

Buhari & his clueless robot advisers,
appointees & cabinet are slowly killing
this country's economy.

Increase in all manners of import tariffs
without caring its effect on the general economy.

Doubling to trippling energy costs.

They have succeeded in turning a fast
growing economy into a poverty ridden
basket case.

undecided undecided undecided undecided

4 Likes

Re: Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant by Nobody: 7:10pm On Jul 06, 2018
they didn't tell u the truth ...they just can't stand the foolishness of buhari

3 Likes

Re: Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jul 06, 2018
cool... Naija for you !
Mynd44:
I Don't know why Nigerians are so weird. P&G is just shutting down its diaper line at Agbara not the entire plant. I guess people prefer false news

2 Likes

Re: Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant by soberdrunk(m): 7:12pm On Jul 06, 2018
The way Reno was already dancing to the news...... angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jul 06, 2018
Mynd44:
I Don't know why Nigerians are so weird. P&G is just shutting down its diaper line at Agbara not the entire plant. I guess people prefer false news

What is really false about the earlier reasons proferred? Why would a company invest $300m and shutdown within a year? What informed the manufacturing restructuring if not unhealthy competition and bad government policies?

5 Likes

Re: Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant by selemempe: 7:14pm On Jul 06, 2018
PearlStreet:

Since Nigerians are weird and you're a Sudanese, what's making P&G shut down its diaper line within the plant commissioned just a year ago?

Don't relay the crap written in their statement to me, that's an indictment of their actuarial scientists and the lack ofbforesightedness of their management.

Note that they only gave us exit plans of action, they never stated the reason.
u think mynd44 sabi anything?

4 Likes

Re: Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant by usebog: 7:19pm On Jul 06, 2018
Oooo
Re: Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant by blackgold2018(m): 7:24pm On Jul 06, 2018
Mynd44:
You are the weird one with your wrong use of engineering terms. A plant or an entire plant as you mentioned have its own production lines. In correction.."P&G is shutting down its diaper plant at Agbara not the entire Plants"

1 Like

Re: Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant by philip0906(m): 7:25pm On Jul 06, 2018
PearlStreet:

Since Nigerians are weird and you're a Sudanese, what's making P&G shut down its diaper line within the plant commissioned just a year ago?

Don't relay the crap written in their statement to me, that's an indictment of their actuarial scientists and the lack ofbforesightedness of their management.

That's the real question

1 Like

Re: Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant by Chukwuka16: 7:26pm On Jul 06, 2018
Mynd44:

Have you been drinking? At least let's leave outside information, what the statement said only simply reifies earlier assumptions that they are exiting manufacturing (what they only do) at Agbara to upscale manufacturing at Ibadan.

If we now consider exogenous factors it is not wrong to assume that unfavourable business conditions is driving them to scale down operations.

Perhaps you can enlighten us with the source from where you deduced that they are only closing down their diaper line and not the entire plant.

4 Likes

Re: Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jul 06, 2018
Mynd44:

Correct.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant by barragan: 7:30pm On Jul 06, 2018
Senselin:
But Op, are they shutting the diaper production line or the whole company

But the "correct facts" is polished to play down the real reason. Why leave Agbara that I know to Ibadan? What about agglomeration economies? What about proximity to terming Lagos Population? Lagos is the transport hub (for distribution).

I once discussed sales with one of my customers and he told me that "pamper" business is a tough one.

They've always been in Ibadan, even long before the agbara plant was built.

3 Likes

Re: Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant by Winneygirl(f): 7:33pm On Jul 06, 2018
Business is tough.
The quality of the pampers produced in Nigeria is no where near what is obtainable in the UK or US arm of the same brand.
Plus lots of competition.
Lots of cheap china made diapers in the country.
They didn't look well before sinking that $300m.
I just hope they stay afloat.
If you know how much tax they pay ehn... To state, LG, demand notices every time...

8 Likes

Re: Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant by kabarka(m): 7:37pm On Jul 06, 2018
After thought grammar.

1 Like

Re: Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant by jeff1607(m): 7:39pm On Jul 06, 2018
Mynd44:

Diaper line. And they are moving the line to Ibadan. Not shutting down the entire plant

Hayat makers of moflix has kicked them out of the market , the same thing happened to pharmadeko makers of pharmaceutical products

1 Like

Re: Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant by imam07: 7:47pm On Jul 06, 2018
Mynd44:

Uncle Ogbeni, they are not closing the plant. Just moving the diaper line to their Ibadan plant
That is what they said and u believe that. Inform us when they start producing the diapers in another plant.

1 Like

Re: Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant by NoToPile: 7:52pm On Jul 06, 2018
I believe competition happened

Lots of China made brands and then hayat kimlas molfix spoilt market for them.

By the way most(if not all) made in Naija pampers are of low quality. That molfix is an eyesore angry

2 Likes

Re: Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant by texazzpete(m): 8:00pm On Jul 06, 2018
PearlStreet:

Go and talk to any young parent around you to get the true picture.
Molfix diapers are utterly destroying P&G Pampers at retail in Nigeria. Ask any supermarket sales rep you know.

While the statement from the P&G team is just legalese and PR speak, I can fully believe that the diaper line is under duress right now.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant by nams77: 8:00pm On Jul 06, 2018
Mynd44:
My friend, re-read the company's statement again. There is difference between plant and line.

It calls for concern. There is nothing weird about that. ICAN imagine what those laid off staff will be feeling like. Let me not go into the socio-economic impact of this unfortunate circumstance

2 Likes

Re: Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant by PearlStreet(m): 8:05pm On Jul 06, 2018
texazzpete:

Molfix diapers are utterly destroying P&G Pampers at retail in Nigeria. Ask any supermarket sales rep you know.

While the statement from the P&G team is just legalese and PR speak, I can fully believe that the diaper line is under duress right now.

That was actually my initial comment on the thread before I replied Mynd.

Hayat (Makers of Mofix) have a 100Million dollar plant in that same Agbara while P&G's own is 300M dollars. Today, Molfix has 44% and Pampers 37%.

https://nairametrics.com/stiff-competition-shuts-down-pgs-300m-diapers-plant/amp/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant by naturefellow(m): 8:06pm On Jul 06, 2018
PearlStreet:
Mofix diapers has killed pampers.
how?
Re: Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant by PearlStreet(m): 8:08pm On Jul 06, 2018

1 Like

Re: Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant by Nobody: 8:18pm On Jul 06, 2018
Buhari. ...and that oldie wants to be re-elected .

1 Like

Re: Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant by tiwiex(m): 8:22pm On Jul 06, 2018
Mynd44:

They have only two lines. Diaper and sanitary pads. So.... Nigerians are not far from the truth. But I suspect the whole plant. Cost of managing the partial line might not be cost effective.

1 Like

Re: Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant by Tunagee(m): 8:35pm On Jul 06, 2018
Let's not deceive ourselves. The original report we got about P&G facing tough times with importation duties as well as very harsh competition is very factual. They are only using PR to conceal the truth. They know where it hurts. The original info was provided to the media by insiders of the firm. Look, I have worked for multinationals and I can tell u categorically that any info that seems like a rumour in these firms, ends up being the truth.

4 Likes

Re: Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant by Nobody: 8:47pm On Jul 06, 2018
texazzpete:

End of. We could never manage naija pampers/huggies. They gave all of the kids rashes when we tried.
Re: Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant by femliany(m): 9:01pm On Jul 06, 2018
Pitokwe:
Molfix killed pampers within just three years.

Molfix is also dying gradually because of bad leadership

Quote me anywhere
Daddy baby diaper is killing molfix gradually too
Re: Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant by lobell: 9:02pm On Jul 06, 2018
Hahaha, tell us another good lie. You spend millions of very scarce dollars to build a plant, invite the number two man in the country to commission it then promptly shut it down so that you can reposition yourself for kinikan kinikan, okwaya? issorait, continue *in mama peace's voice* Afterall, it is not my money. But, remember, the truth will set you free, always. (pun not intended)

1 Like

Re: Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant by moscobabs(m): 9:10pm On Jul 06, 2018
I won't say anything for now cos I work in P$G.

But you guys should know that P$G has a lot of products apart from pampers..

Oral B is the best among toothpaste in market and it's selling very well

Safeguards is there too selling welll

Gilletes are there too

Duracell battery are there

Ariel detergent is selling

Always is there too

P$G stands till eternity.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant by Pitokwe(m): 9:13pm On Jul 06, 2018
femliany:

Daddy baby diaper is killing molfix gradually too

It will be difficult for a Chinese diaper too
Re: Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant by grandstar(m): 9:19pm On Jul 06, 2018
You don't set up a $300m plant and just close it up citing the reasons he gave.

They faced some ferocious challenges which may be related to the economic downturn presently facing the country.

I am also certain that the protectionist environment where import substitution rules may truly have affected their ability to source raw materials at competitive prices.

2 Likes

Re: Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant by thanki410(m): 9:29pm On Jul 06, 2018
Not to forget how many people will be sacked with the transfer....

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What A Bad Day Looks Like In The Bank / Diamond Bank Rewards Alkali Adamu As Who Returned Money Wrongly Dispensed To Him / Shehu Sani: Shoprite Exit Will Help Local Supermarkets To Grow, They Can Go

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.